JVC DR-MV150B DVD Recorder VHS Combo with built-in ATSC/QAM Tuner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 08-09-2009, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I picked up one of these at Sam's Club, after looking at what Costco, Best Buy, and Fry's had to offer. As far as I know, this is one of the few with a built-in tuner, and the Clear QAM tuner sold me on it. It was $198.73 at Sam's, a little cheaper than what Amazon was asking.

It got some strange reviews on Amazon, but my experience is that this is a sweet DVD recorder. It found all the Clear QAM channels, including the local HD's. I'm using it with an old 4:3 analog TV with an RF modulator, and it works fine in this mode. It converts the HD channels and presents them letterboxed in this mode. I expect to replace this TV (bedroom unit) with a 40-inch LCD HDTV in about a year.

This thing was able to recover a bad DVD+RW disc that was screwed up by Vista, and reinitialized it for use in about 5 minutes. My PC would churn on that disc for hours without accomplishing anything. I recorded some test programs on it, and took it down to the PC, which played it perfectly.

This is a nice solution for starting that task of copying VHS and LDs over to DVD once and for all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 08-21-2009, 03:27 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Wow! Been a long time since I posted in this forum...

I'm looking at this a replacement for my Panny (moto, "we've never built a combi player worth buying") EZ47 which, after years of "F60" errors, now has a DVD-RW stuck in it -won't leave "read" mode. Sweet! It's my 4th Panny combi and each of them has failed. The reason I didn't replace this when the "F60" started is that Costco changed it's return policy. Enough about Panasonic.

It's now been a couple years since your original post:

Still using/liking this unit?
Anyone else with experience?

My main motivations for this device:

1) It handles DVD-RAM.
2) Sam's return policy HASN'T changed -even if they say it has.
3) I like a combination player.
a) I can go VHS to DVD and I have alot of VHS I have been converting.
b) I can go DVD to VHS (for those few people who still own only a VHS machine).
c) I can go DVD-RAM to VHS to DVD - RAM is supposedly more stable, but most DVD players won't handle it. For viewing other than at home, I convert to VHS then RAM. Quality is acceptable and editing is easy.
4) IT ISN'T A PANASONIC.

Turn it UP!!
post #3 of 19 Old 08-21-2009, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Like every other current model with ATSC/QAM, reviews are all over the place on this one. Its a warmed-over version of last years DR-MV100B, probably the most important change being an improvement over last years atrocious firmware. The consensus is its a nice unit when it works, but many of them don't work all that great. Its telling that the tunerless versions of this machine work much better, just as the tunerless Panasonic combos are flawless compared to their ATSC/QAM sisters. The minute you stick an ATSC/QAM tuner into one of these combos, you open a can of worms and a world of hurt: expect issues with the machine failing to record events you have programmed into the timer, and randomly stopping dead in the middle of a recording.

There is no such thing as a DVD/VHS combo recorder with ATSC/QAM that actually works the way buyers expect it to. If you're very very lucky- maybe. But don't expect this one to be "dramatically better" than your Panasonic. Note also there is no "JVC" anymore, this recorder is made by LG: base your expectations on whatever LG gear you may have owned.
post #4 of 19 Old 08-21-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

this recorder is made by LG: base your expectations on whatever LG gear you may have owned.

Well let's see, a '07 LG combo recorder that was a POS and I promptly returned, a LG refrigerator that was a POS and the store was nice enough to let me exchange for a Maytag that's been working fine, a (actually 2) 22" LG flat screen TVs (first one was DOA and 2nd lasted 1 day) both were returned!
On the positive side a used (several year old) LG LST-3510a DVD player/HD tuner has been working flawlessly. IMO buyer beware, but personally as Citibear said, my warning applies to all current combo recorders.
post #5 of 19 Old 08-21-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by drbrousters View Post

Wow! Been a long time since I posted in this forum...

I'm looking at this a replacement for my Panny (moto, "we've never built a combi player worth buying") EZ47 which, after years of "F60" errors, now has a DVD-RW stuck in it -won't leave "read" mode. Sweet! It's my 4th Panny combi and each of them has failed. The reason I didn't replace this when the "F60" started is that Costco changed it's return policy. Enough about Panasonic.

For a forced disc eject with the power off press STOP and CHANNEL UP simultaneously for five seconds on the front panel (not the remote).

Yes, the EZ47 was about as bad as a Panasonic can get (excepting the EZ47's prototype, the ES40 from 2005). The F60 error is "officially" a "defective Digital PCB." But, realistically, it may be as simple as a misaligned ribbon cable or contact or a loose power connector to the DVD Drive. If it is a defective Digital PCB it's an easy swap from another EZ47, say a $15 (including shipping) EZ47 parts machine from DealTree. Even with a "good" Digital PCB the EZ47 was pretty bad. You have my sympathy.

One of my EZ17 models became a parts machine yesterday, with three more still functional, so to speak.

Would you believe people are still buying EZ series combo recorders?

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #6 of 19 Old 08-21-2009, 08:19 PM

Liked: 11
Can this unit be used as an external tuner delivering HD to a monitor that obviously does not have RF input/tuner? In other words, can I feed it QAM or OTA via RF input, then output HD channels over the HDMI or component into my monitor, and watch OTA hi-def channels? Or does it downconvert all the HD digital channels 720p/1080i to SD.

I think that's what some of the other DVD-Recorders do. They will tune in an HD channel, but will downconvert it to SD for output. I want a DVD-Recorder that passes the OTA/QAM HD channels untouched to my tunerless monitor.

Thanks.
post #7 of 19 Old 08-21-2009, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

All DVDRs downconvert the HD to SD
You'd need a dedicated tuner to get true HD out. This is the forum that lists the various HD output tuners.
Check out the "The Official AVS HDTV STB Synopsis - Summer 2009! " sticky
post #8 of 19 Old 08-21-2009, 11:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I'm looking at this a replacement for my Panny (moto, "we've never built a combi player worth buying")...

Not true until the EZ models came out.
post #9 of 19 Old 08-22-2009, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Don't forget about the LSI equipped ES-40v combo, in '05 it was the sign of things to come
post #10 of 19 Old 08-22-2009, 10:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
No, I definitely didn't forget. I just meant that they did build models worth buying before his EZ47.
post #11 of 19 Old 08-28-2009, 03:14 PM
Advanced Member

DigaDo: Thanks for the fix. I'll remember it next time...except it won't usually power off...unless I disconnect the power.

Actually, I powered off (unplugged) over night and was able to open it. Since then it has worked OK, then not. Last night it told me that a (Panasonic) DVD-RAM was not properly formatted. I formatted it, attempted to record, it locked up. I got it to open, closed the drawer, and it told me the disc was not properly formatted. Not being foolish, I tossed the disc. It worked fine on the next one.

BUT...

This machine EATS discs. I have had it lock on or refuse to record OR record a few times and have it drop out and lock on discs constantly since about 91 DAYS from the original purchase.

Rammitinski: You may be right, but I've owned all the lower end ons since the ES-30 and had problems with each. I was able to take them back to Costco.

THE FINAL SOLUTION will be to build a HTPC and bypass all this hassle. Planning to do so very soon.
Thanks,
Doug

Turn it UP!!
post #12 of 19 Old 08-28-2009, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DigaDo: Thanks for the fix. I'll remember it next time...

I've owned all the lower end ons since the ES-30 and had problems with each. I was able to take them back to Costco.

I own two 2005 DMR-ES30V models, one with around 4,400 recording hours and the other with around 3,000 recording hours, and both fully functional at last use. My daughter also owns two DMR-ES30V models both fully functional. I recently cleaned the lens and hub/spindle on her first DMR-ES30V--only the second time since new--much too long an interval between routine cleanings, see this post and the post following it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post16929570

I also own six 2006 DMR-ES35V models, all fully functional at last use. Three of the ES35 models each have around 3,000 recording hours.

All these ES series combo recorders have given outstanding service.

One of my 2006 DMR-ES15 DVD recorders also has around 3,000 recording hours. This model tends to be though on components when owners close them up inside cabinets with other heat-producing equipment. (There is no cooling fan on the ES15.)

The black sheep in my stable of ES series Panasonics is my 2005 DMR-ES40V model that's accumulated only 355 recording hours since December 2005. This model has many design flaws and bugs. I should have taken it back to Costco soon after its purchase. Instead, I put it back in its box and stashed it in a storage closet for two years, used it briefly as the family's VHS and DVD player, and for the last year or so its been back in its box in the same closet. It's still "fully functional" LOL! I keep it for it's parts--it uses the same DVD Drive as the DMR-ES30V models.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #13 of 19 Old 08-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Wow!!! I may have owned as many VC/DVD-R's as you/your daughter, (including Liteon, Pioneer, and Panasonic) but only one at a time. I believe, as you, the Panasonic 30's were superior, but had problems with them after a few to several months and they went back. I also believe that yours work well even now.

The 40 was a step down, and the 40+ have been absolute dogs. I use mine on a daily basis...when it works.

I started out transferring Dallas Cowboys football games from VHS to DVD. It became so discouraging (between degrading of the recording over time and machines breaking down) that I quit. I still have several years (1996-2004) worth that need transfer. Of course, transferring games from 1988 to 1995 is a lot of recording (when you add pregame, postgame, and highlights). It was a minimum of 6 hours per game (2-4 discs)...but I would have expected better durability both of the machines and the discs. I gave away the tapes and many of the discs won't play now. The early Panasonic's made recording easy with variable time lengths and speed changes. The last few have been no better than using a VCR connected to a computer.

Currently plan to go VCR to HTPC with the rest (once I have mine built). Probably will record to hard-drive and store as external device. That way I can burn a copy if I want it, or simply play it thru the computer.

Doug

Turn it UP!!
post #14 of 19 Old 09-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Brought one home, hooked it up, initially had trouble getting tuner to see digital channels. Could not get HDMI to show video through my Marantz SR-8002. Played with it awhile.
Eventually changed HDMI output on Marantz to #2, and could see video.
Attempted to record and gave "Copy protected" signal on AMC channel. Changed to local channel and got same message ON THE 11:00 NEWS!!!!
Set for timer recording of program I record daily, same message.
Re-programmed tuner and was able to record...but...audio sounded like the TV had hiccups. Every 10 seconds or so, a 1 second audio drop-out.
Recorded on VCR -no problems, but sound was badly distorted -worse than regular analogue recordings on other equipment.
Obviously...The unit is defective. Will return it...but the copy protection...The only way around it is the VCR?
Wondering if JVC is more sensitive than some others.

Turn it UP!!
post #15 of 19 Old 09-11-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Brought one home, hooked it up, initially had trouble getting tuner to see digital channels . . . Played with it awhile . . . and could see video.

Attempted to record and gave "Copy protected" signal on AMC channel. Changed to local channel and got same message ON THE 11:00 NEWS!!!!
Set for timer recording of program I record daily, same message.
Re-programmed tuner and was able to record...but...audio sounded like the TV had hiccups . . . Recorded on VCR -no problems, but sound was badly distorted -worse than regular analogue recordings on other equipment.
Obviously...The unit is defective. Will return it...but the copy protection...The only way around it is the VCR?
Wondering if JVC is more sensitive than some others.

Frustrating, Eh?

Sometimes there are sample defects, bugs and design flaws or quality control failures. Don't get me started on Panasonic EZ series bugs and design flaws.

Here are some of my comments concerning Funai-built recorders:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post17154425

With my late model Funai-built recorders set up for ATSC or clear QAM reception I have yet to experience copy protection problems. (In late 2006 I had brief experience with a Funai-built SV2000 recorder that found most everthing "copy protected." That recorder was returned to WalMart for a refund.)

The Toshiba owner referred to in my linked post had two Funai-built Toshibas. One was overly sensitive finding most everthing was "copy protected" and the other Toshiba works well. She reported that Toshiba replaced the problematic model with a later model that also works well.

post #16 of 19 Old 09-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Advanced Member

Have taken the plung into HTPC. Will hope for better results.

Doug

Turn it UP!!
post #17 of 19 Old 09-22-2009, 12:37 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

All DVDRs downconvert the HD to SD
You'd need a dedicated tuner to get true HD out. This is the forum that lists the various HD output tuners.
Check out the "The Official AVS HDTV STB Synopsis - Summer 2009! " sticky

Thank you very much for the info.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-05-2013, 01:45 PM

my parents bought a jvc dr mv150 in 2008, used it little for about a year then stopped. I used it more than them just recording the good stuff they dvr'ed or "on demanded". A couple of weeks ago they gave me the machine because they never used it. This dvd sat inside a closed warm neat video cabinet, in a non smoking room and now that its mine I can'nt get it to read a disk , play a disk , format ,recognize or aknowledge anything. Everything is unknown I have gone through some basic troubleshooting tips but nothing seams to improve the performance even sl;ightly. This dvd just sat there it was not not jarred or abused physically. Any ideas on a fix would be appreciated. Thank you, Scott
post #19 of 19 Old 03-06-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Uh, seaman2, I would seriously recomend you start a new thread for your question if you want any one to answer it. Just adding your question to an existing thread on a different topic is bad practice.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page