How do you recover deleted hard drive data on a h2160mw9 magnavox recorder - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 05-27-2011, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickboy View Post

Remember, as I've learned as a long-time collector, it all does come around again; it really does. But will you still care to have it when it does?
Mickboy

Mick, it not always does. Some shows like American Idol will *never* be rerun in their entirety, and some news shows might show the same stories a few times through over the course of a night and the next morning, but then they're gone (unless you can get them online, which might not include some talk in between, or unless you can get them from an archiving service, and the same thing applies unless ya pay for a whole show, which could get expensive really quick--but worth it if one story or show is hugely important). Anyway, my point is that some things may never rerun, and those are the ones that would hurt the most to lose, if they were really important for some reason. (As for American Idol being that important... probably not, unless it was of a person you were family or friends with or otherwise knew....)

What other shows are there out there that will probably never rereun? There have got to be some others that don't, too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 05-27-2011, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

The only two ways you could have deleted a LOT of titles on the HDD is individually or after marking each title with the Delete Multiple Titles command (a long, time-consuming process in itself), OR with the HDD Menu > Delete all Titles command....

BOTH of which have a Yes/No dialog, FOLLLOWED by an "Are You Sure?" dialog!

In fact, the HDD Menu > Delete All Titles option has an initial Yes/No dialog that repeats the action question, "Delete entire titles?".

As long as this thread has been resurrected, here's an update to my prior post above, dated 8/29/09:

Due to popular demand, the latest Mag DVDR model, the 515, now has only ONE Yes/No confirmation dialog. Virtually everyone complained about too many (double) warnings, so Funai "fixed" it for us!

Here's the Wish List item they responded to.
post #33 of 43 Old 06-11-2011, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

As long as this thread has been resurrected, here's an update to my prior post above, dated 8/29/09:

Due to popular demand, the latest Mag DVDR model, the 515, now has only ONE Yes/No confirmation dialog. Virtually everyone complained about too many (double) warnings, so Funai "fixed" it for us!

Another reason to maintain the "Hard Disk File System investigation for the Magnavox 2080/2160/513" topic.
post #34 of 43 Old 02-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Liked: 10
Is there anyway an interruption to the a.c. power could cause the HDD to lose the recorded titles? I lost everything a few days ago, then it occurred to me that we'd had a quick on & off of the power to our house. Is that a possible cause?
post #35 of 43 Old 02-11-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argalby View Post

Is there anyway an interruption to the a.c. power could cause the HDD to lose the recorded titles? I lost everything a few days ago, then it occurred to me that we'd had a quick on & off of the power to our house. Is that a possible cause?

Usually a cycling power failure will cause the recorder to appear dead, but not lose the HDD recordings. A soft reset normally brings the unit back to life. You could try doing it but I would be surprised if it restored your HDD recordings.
post #36 of 43 Old 02-15-2012, 04:33 PM

Thanks Ken. I'm still trying to figure out what caused this. One other possibility is that I have a Magnavox DVD only recorder sitting next to the 2160a. I keep a metal shield over the 2160a IR receiver because both remotes use the same code. A few days ago I did the skip 1-2-3 reset on the DVD only recorder. But I think even if this command was able to creep into my 2160a it shouldn't have erased the titles.

Is there any chance the HDD on the 2160a could have had a bad sector and then automatically reformat? Or could a full HD force the 2160a to reformat?

Thanks!
post #37 of 43 Old 02-15-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argalby View Post

Thanks Ken. I'm still trying to figure out what caused this. One other possibility is that I have a Magnavox DVD only recorder sitting next to the 2160a. I keep a metal shield over the 2160a IR receiver because both remotes use the same code. A few days ago I did the skip 1-2-3 reset on the DVD only recorder. But I think even if this command was able to creep into my 2160a it shouldn't have erased the titles.

Is there any chance the HDD on the 2160a could have had a bad sector and then automatically reformat? Or could a full HD force the 2160a to reformat?

Thanks!

A Skip 079 will delete all titles but not Skip 123. Maybe your barrier moved a little and it only picked up some commands from the remote. It's not likely but it could have found it's way to "Delete All Titles" from the HDD menu. It's not buried very deep in the menus.
post #38 of 43 Old 02-26-2012, 10:08 AM

Thanks Ken! As it turns out, having two Magnavox machines near each other is a complicated matter when it comes to remote controls!
post #39 of 43 Old 03-12-2012, 07:37 PM

I'll just add to this thread since it is similar to my just occurred problem. I'm here mainly to cry on shoulders while I read the whole Magy thread, and the threads referred to in posts above.

My Mag 2080MW8 just deleted all stored titles, whether protected or not. I was editing a title, and when I got out of it I saw it was title 'One". I probably had 50 or so titles, nearly all protected status, that have disappeared.
I was not on a menu where I could have hit a delete all titles choice.

The only hint something may have gone wrong during the edit was when I was deleting the last scene segment, I thought it jumped to the end of the show abruptly. Kind of hazy the exact sequence. I just thought at the time 'was it supposed to do that?' then I edited the title and returned to the title list and that was when I noticed I had only one title.

These are not full tv shows that are available to be bought, they are just snippets of tv shows that pertain to something I found of interest and wanted to keep. I realize the importance of copying to DVD if I wanted it kept, so we dont need that lesson, other than to repeat the importance to newcomers.

I had my 2160 delete all its non-protected titles once last year, thats why I went back on both of them and made all titles protected. now I find thats not the 'end-all'.

I did not throw a brick at the TV or throw the 2080 off the deck..yet. Just to reiterate, if you want it kept, get it off the hard drive.
Thanks for reading,
Only getting Grumpy-er.
post #40 of 43 Old 03-12-2012, 11:34 PM

Liked: 14
Pity theres no 'undelete' button to undo your last step. This is just a lession for everyone that leaving stuff on your HDD n ot backed up to disc can be risky. If you cant afford to loose it then copy it to disc for peace of mind. I have had a bit of experiece recovering some things i have deleted from my recycle bin on my computer. I found a programe on the net. It was called 'esupport undelete plus' well thats what the shortcut on the desk top said anyway. The key is not to panic, the more things you do on your computer it overwrites/deletes stuff, so the key is to have a recovery programe already installed ready to go. (i had tp spend an hour or more searching for a way how to get the stuff back which would have made more stuff unrecoverable) I did not not have a programe ready and therefore i was unable to get everything back, but i was surprised it worked and i got about 75% back. Its heartbreaking at the time but 12months down the track you usually will be over it. In my case it was mainly JPEGS and spreadsheets. Sorry this is not helping you with your maggy though.
post #41 of 43 Old 03-13-2012, 07:20 PM

Cyclone,
Thanks for the shoulder. so much faith put into the little lock icon. At least I had dubbed off about 20 titles last week, and was ready to do another 20. For now I will replace the hard drive and put this one back until the miracle recovery is discovered. I read the thread about the current status of recovery attempts. I also did a soft reset but that did not bring back the missing titles.

I have already ordered a 513 from thewalmartstore, and they have accepted the order, so hopefully it gets here.
Long live the future of HDD-DVD recording !
Grumpy55er
post #42 of 43 Old 03-13-2012, 07:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy55er View Post

I read the thread about the current status of recovery attempts. I also did a soft reset but that did not bring back the missing titles.

Did you read this thread, right?

Hard Disk File System investigation for the Magnavox 2080/2160/513/515
post #43 of 43 Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 PM

Profhat,
yes, that is the thread that I read. Its suggested steps are beyond my time and ability left in this lifetime. Thanks for making sure that is what applies to this situation.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page