Well, they user didn't say that exactly, but s/he was a bit cryptic about the whole thing. And considering that is the most important piece in the puzzle, it would make it much easier on everyone if s/he shared that piece of software (and accompanying instructions).
However, I think a 'just as easy' solution was also posted in that thread (or maybe I imagined it). Once the freeware disk reader (I used HxD) is used to gather all the bits up and make an image of the drive, one can then break down the data into the various mpeg video files given the mpeg header string that needs to be found. One could then use VideoReDo to edit specific pieces from the larger files, rather than searching for the string code that specifies which piece goes where, assemblying and viewing to make sure it is correct (this was the time consumer). As the VideoReDo program edits mpeg files without re-encoding (and lets one see what is being edited), just label each cut as pt1, pt2, pt3 and so on, then use a file joiner to join them back into one file. I haven't yet tried this as I am still in the process of transferring my VHS and LD's, but in about 3-4 months I should have the time to tackle this. I have used VideoReDo previously and it's quite easy and works just as described. A GUI interface for this work should cut down the time considerably.