File Recovery from crashed HDD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 09-13-2009, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
One person on videohelp.com here posted on a downloadable computer program that recovered files from his Pioneer HDD that experienced a power-failure crash.

He used UFS Explorer Standard Recovery described here.

Might be something useful to others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-13-2009, 03:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

One person on videohelp.com here posted on a downloadable computer program that recovered files from his Pioneer HDD that experienced a power-failure crash.

He used UFS Explorer Standard Recovery described here.

Might be something useful to others?

That's great to know! Thanks for the link!

Of course, I hope I never need it....
post #3 of 9 Old 09-14-2009, 01:18 PM

I can (sorta) confirm this works. I used the trial version of UFS and it found 74 GB worth of .mpg files on my 80 GB drive. However, there were only 21 files, which means that some of the titles on the drive must be combined into a single file, which pretty much agrees with what the poster of the "long way" data recovery (Wade?) found in his hex exploration of a drive. As it's only the trial version, I can't say for certain that everything works 100%, but it's looking good. I had previously tried 3 other Linux explorer/recovery programs (Disk Internals, Stellar Phoenix and one other) and none of them found anything.

I posted my story here before, but basically my Panny DMR-EH75V was damaged in a return shipment from a DVD-RAM drive replacement. When they fixed the damaged PCB, it required the tech to format the HDD. When I received it back, there were no titles on the Navigator screen. I then pulled and imaged the drive.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-14-2009, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by i86time View Post

I can (sorta) confirm this works.

The bottom of that linked page describes diff. between V3 and V4... do you remember which one you tried?
post #5 of 9 Old 09-14-2009, 02:15 PM

Hmmm, I guess I should have read that page better. I grabbed the first one I saw on the download page, which happened to be UFS Explorer Pro 3.15.3. Maybe I'll give 4 a shot and see if it separates the files.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-14-2009, 07:49 PM

Well, I can't get v4 Standard to work too well. Neither version can figure out the file system used. That's not a major problem though, as that information may have been removed during the format of the drive, or it could be some weird proprietary file system, I guess. In any event, that doesn't prevent file recovery with the programs.

The data recovery search on v4 quits for some reason right near the end of the scan (approx. 1 hr). I tried it twice and both times when I checked back in near the end, the program had closed by itself. Both v3 Pro and v4 Standard, like other data recovery programs I've used, will let the user interrupt the search to see what files have been found at any given time. v4 took much longer to view what files had been discovered and also took a while when switching between the virtual directory tree (the programs create a directory of file types found on the drive, so the user can switch between them rather than looking at a larger list of files). It took so long that I closed it out after I went one level too deep and tried to back up. It was noticeably slower than V3 Pro. However, it did find MANY more .mpg files than v3, but it listed their file size as 2 KB, so....

I have both v3 Pro and v4 Standard trials installed, so maybe that it causing the problem with v4, though I doubt it; v3 Pro still seems to work fine. If anyone else wants to give it a go, especially v4, please post your findings.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-15-2009, 07:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Once you have your files listed, does the software let you "play" the files. That would allow you to maybe start grouping them into some kind of order. You are still going to have to check out each file and group them yourself. A reformat like you said would have overwritten the MBR which would give you the "chart" for the way the files should be read properly. As long as nothing is written over the files you can still peice them together to get your videos back. It is a long process though. This UFS program may put your files into a "viewable" format, but to catalog all that data is the hard part.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-15-2009, 02:49 PM

The software will either let you copy those files to a new drive/location or will let you open them (using the default player/viewer associated with each file type). However, in the trial versions, it will only let you do that for files <64 KB, which is pretty much useless for .mpg's. All of the ones v3 Pro found were 30 mb and up, so I could not view them. When I tried to view some of the 2KB .mpg's found by v4, they would not play. I don't really want to spend the $$ to purchase a license now, but I may in the future.

Yes, it seems like though this is a useful program, it's not the be all end all app for recovering files from a dying HDD. If my theory is correct, one could use the program to copy all the .mpg's, then view each one to determine which titles are in each file and in which order. Then use the "long way" to edit out each portion of a title in a hex editor and finally joining the pieces together to form the original title. Either that or use a 2nd program like VideoReDo (which I hear does not re-encode files even when cut/joined) to cut all portions of a title and re-assmeble them.

Again, this is just what I've seen going off of the trial version and a formatted drive. Perhaps if the MBR was intact, it would "tell" the program where the portions of each title were and would have a single file for each title. If anyone has a healthy drive with recordings, please give it a shot. My deck is back in my stack and in heavy use, but maybe in the near future I'll try it out when I have some free time.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-15-2009, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks for the effort so far and the useful info!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page