Best DVD recorder for miniDV camcorder? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-02-2009, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic PV-GS83 camcorder (MiniDV tapes) recently the firewire output is broken so I cannot transfer video to my pc, the USB output still work but the video quality captured is awful and has lots of drop frames (using Sony Vegas 9). Therefore I have two options either buy another camcorder or a DVD recorder, which is the best option that yield best quality DVD?

If buying DVD recorder I think the only way is to connect my camcorder via the video output to the recorder, will the quality be compromise vs. capturing to my pc then to dvd method? Which budget dvd recorder (no tuner) do you recommend?

Also should I get DVD+ or DVD-?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-02-2009, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Using a DVDR to do a straight dump to DVD will work, but I can't give you any idea regarding the quality retention when using that method. If, however, you want to do any editing, it would be a practical nightmare at best. Plus no frontend menu of much worth. I recommend you repair your current camera or, in all likelihood due to cost of repair, get a new one.
post #3 of 3 Old 10-02-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 80
If your camcorder has a S-video output(and if you use wide screen it will need to be able to output full wide screen, and not letterboxed 16:9) you should be able to get about as good as the standard DVD format is, using a Panasonic EA-18.
If your camcorder outputs letter boxed WS or only has composite output, I think you'll be disappointed with any standalone DVDR.
As Yonder said editing may be difficult, but if your PC supports RAM discs you could easily import the video back to your PC and do the editing on your PC. I think you could use discs other than RAM, but I think RAM may be easier. I don't personally do this but am just going off what I've read.
Panasonics prefer - or RAM discs but will record to all formats including DL.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page