Availability of Panasonic DMR-EH59/69 in USA? - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 274 Old 05-25-2014, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a question for "advanced copy" option users on a DMR-EH69. what is this, what does this mean?? >>!

On the copy list I have this icon beside the chosen recordings I am putting on DVD in FR mode , >>! . What does that mean??

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 274 Old 05-26-2014, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
According to the manual on page 46:

>>!

Titles and playlists that can be copied in high speed
mode to DVD-R, DVD-R DL,
DVD-RW (DVD-Video format)
(However, titles and playlists cannot be copied in
high speed mode to +R, +R DL, +RW)
[+R]DL] is displayed, but copy cannot be
performed.

There are (apparently) arbitrary rules that are different between -R and +R disks, as to what can be high speed copied. Nope! It doesn't make sense to me, but the machine can be picky at times, and you just have to roll with it. You should read up of +R disk restrictions in the manual. Restrictions are listed on page 43, and other places as well.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #273 of 274 Old 05-26-2014, 02:43 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I picked up a pack of WINDATA 8.5GB DVD+R DLs 8x and I cannot get the unit to format them for recording????

VW,Audi, Porsch guy
post #274 of 274 Old 05-26-2014, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 90

While I do occasionally use Windata +R DL blanks(purchased for a very good price at Microcenter) with my computer I will never use them on my Panasonic DVDRs anymore. Panasonic DVDRs do NOT seem to like them, no iffs ands or buts. They were my first ever DL purchase(again because of the very low price) but only 10% worked and even of the 10% I started having issues shortly after burning. Again I can't stress enough how badly they worked in my Panasonics, they were a disaster. After those I followed the advice of this forum and purchased a spindle of 2.4X +R DL Verbatim AZO blanks(slightly more than $1 each as apposed to the <50 cents I paid for the Windatas) but EVERY one of the spindle burned with no problems. So even though the Windatas were less than 1/2 the price of the Verbs when you figure the 90% burn failures, the Verbs were much cheaper in the long run.

I still occasionally use the Windatas in one of my 4 PCs as it seems to burn them with only a 10% failure rate, on 3 of my other PCs I get probably a 50% failure and no longer use them in those PCs. When you figure I can purchase them for $30/100 on sale I figure even a 50% failure rate might be cheaper in the long run but due to the wasted time I now just use them on my PC that has a 90% success rate. Also after evey burn I FF in a high speed through the entire disc before deleting my image, if they are going to fail it's almost always right after the layer change, the disc stutters and locks, sometimes it hangs my DVD players and requires a power cord pull(power button doesn't work).

AFA your original question, I'm not positive but I think??? a title recorded in FR can't be HS copied to a + disc(SL or DL) it's been a long time since I've burned a DL blank in my Panasonics but I think that could be the case. Just to be sure, did you record your original title on the EH-69? Panasonics also act odd of you originally recorded the titles on another older(pre '06) HDD DVDR and used a RAM disc to transfer them to the newer EH-69s HDD, for sure they won't HS to a + disc type on the EH-69.

-R DLs are really best for Panasonic users but they are all but impossible to find(not including the incredibly bad Ritek -R DLs that while only ~$1 each are almost as bad as the Windata +R DLs) for DLs I can't stress strongly enough to be not tempted by cheaper prices and only use Verbatim AZO blanks, not the Life Series inkjet printables that you can get at Microcenter for $30/50(they work better than the WIndatas but just a little) or don't be tempted by Memorex which can be purchased anywhere but are also bad quality.

I don't want to sound like a media snob(I use most everything in my PCs for short term burns) but when it comes to my expensive(and quite expensive to repair) Panasonic standalones I bite a bullet and pay more for AZO Verbatims, that or Tys which aren't any cheaper but are also excellent quality. You can get by with cheaper SL blanks but I've found the hard way, not with DL blanks.

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page