Availability of Panasonic DMR-EH59/69 in USA? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 274 Old 10-30-2009, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
A few weeks ago Church AV Guy posted here that World-Import was going to get the Panasonic DMR-EH69 which has apparently replaced the EH68. Has anyone heard of further developments on the EH69 and its little brother the EH59 in the USA? I've been Googling for those models occasionally and haven't turned up any hits in the USA yet.

When my credit card billing cycle ends next week I'm leaning towards ordering an EH58 from B&H, unless the EH59 turns up (or is about to turn up) somewhere at a price that isn't too much more than the EH58. At $500 from W-I, the EH69 is a bit too much for me since I don't need the extra disk space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 274 Old 10-31-2009, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Well, all I can say is, the DMR-EH69 has shown up here for $550. I did a little research on European and other sites, converting the cost to American dollars, and this is not outrageous for this machine. It's steep, yes, but I paid $600 for one of my DMR-EH55s. There is no mention of the DMR-EH49 or the DMR-EH59 companion models. This is currently the only site I know of that lists this newest recorder. Gandhi, and 220 volt have many of the older models listed (who knows if they are actually available) but not the newest one(s).

The BH site still lists the DMR-EH58 as available, the DMR-EH67 is discontinued, and DMR-EH68 is out of stock. If Panasonic is making the DMR-EH49, DMR-EH59, and DMR-EH69 now, there will probably be no more of the DMR-EHx7 or DME-EHx8 series machines.

The difference in cost is a lot to pay considering the maginal improvements of the DMR-EH69 over the DMR-EH58, especially if HDD size is not critical.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #3 of 274 Old 10-31-2009, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 49
It's worth noting only two mfrs ever seriously and consistently pursued the "generic global-market simplified multi-region" DVD/HDD recorder category: Panasonic and Pioneer. Since Pioneer officially died this past spring, and the supply of leftover final Pioneers in the pipeline is dwindling, its not surprising to see Panasonic raise prices on their most recent "generic global" units. With virtually no competition at all now, Panasonic is free to charge what the things are actually worth and make a little profit. Although I'm sure it barely impacts the sea of red ink they bleed on consumer returns of the American ATSC/QAM models.
post #4 of 274 Old 11-01-2009, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Well, all I can say is, the DMR-EH69 has shown up here for $550.

Funny thing, I just noticed W-I has the EH69 at the price you noted, came back here and saw your post. I don't know whether it wasn't there a couple of days ago, or I simply didn't scroll down the page far enough.

No sign of the EH59 except on various overseas sites. So it looks like I'd better grab an EH58 from B&H before they disappear there.
post #5 of 274 Old 11-01-2009, 04:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I've incorporated some of the above info into the Panasonic DVD recorder US models thread. Since the other thread discussing the EH-69/59 is titled "Record International programs (Dish)", I'm going to link this thread as the "Official" EH-69/59/49 thread.
Just a few points after reading the manual (link courtesy of Luke).

The manual mentions the x9's have a feature to automatically create chapters every 5 min for HDD recordings, I think this might be new for Panasonic?
As Luke mentioned it looks like all the x9 series of Pannys have the very handy phrase save (or list as they call it) feature, to save 20 commonly used phrases.
post #6 of 274 Old 11-01-2009, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

The EH-x9 recorders lack a second or rear composite/S-video input.

So do their predecessors EHx8 and EHx7, and the international EH55 (unlike the USA EH55 which had two rear inputs in addition to the front input).

I'd prefer a second rear input myself. On my current EH75V which has two rear inputs and a front input, I was using all three for a while: two from my Sony HD DVRs, and one from a CECB. But now I both dub existing recordings and make "live" recordings using the DVRs, so I can live without the third input, and with a set of cables snaking around to the front input.

Hmmm, I see there are S-video to SCART adapters. (Do a Google search on that phrase.) Would these allow us to use the AV2 (SCART) input in addition to the AV4 (S-video / composite + L/R audio) input on the back?
post #7 of 274 Old 11-01-2009, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes I think the Scart to S-video adapter would work, and while I really like the 2 rear inputs (like on the US Pannys w/hdd) what sets the EH-x9 apart from the x8 and x7 series is the x9 series doesn't have any rear composite/S-video inputs(unlike the x8 and x7 series that have one) that is unless one gets the S-video to Scart converter.
I'm sure it was a cost saving measure since most people in the rest of the world use the Scart connectors, but I for one think this is a serious omission for people that don't use Scart

edit, I was looking at the wrong manual. Apparently the EH-x9 series does have a rear line input
post #8 of 274 Old 11-01-2009, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

the x9 series doesn't have any rear composite/S-video inputs(unlike the x8 and x7 series that have one)

ON page 23 of the EH59/69 manual is a section: "Copying from a video cassette recorder". It begins:

Quote:

Connecting to the AV3 or DV input terminals on the front
You can also connect to the AV4 input terminals on the rear.

The picture of the back of the unit on page 9 shows that AV4 is a set of L/R audio, composite video and S-video jacks, just like AV3 on the front.
LL
post #9 of 274 Old 11-01-2009, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Oh bleep, I blew it. B&H doesn't have the EH58 any more.

I may very well go with the EH69 from world-import after all. As Luke notes, $550 is steep, but not outrageous, considering that I paid the same price for a Panasonic E85H from Best Buy five years ago. I'll sleep on it for a few nights.
post #10 of 274 Old 11-01-2009, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

Oh bleep, I blew it. B&H doesn't have the EH58 any more.

I may very well go with the EH69 from world-import after all. As Luke notes, $550 is steep, but not outrageous, considering that I paid the same price for a Panasonic E85H from Best Buy five years ago. I'll sleep on it for a few nights.

That's a bummer, and odd too. The B&H web site is usually correct. When it says it's in stock, it is almost always in stock. Yipes! I just checked and the web site went from "in stock," to "discontinued" just since this morning. They DO have a demo EH-68 for $375, here but the condition is unknown, warranty unknown, etc.

On another note. I have looked at verious web sites selling the EH69, and a few are as low as 350 Euro, which is just over $515 at today's rate. Some are as high as 410 Euro, which would be over $600 US dollars. The price of $550 is not great, but not hideous either.

It's too bad the DMR-EH49 is not available. It is being sold for quite a bit less, making it a much more attractive purchase. All it lacks that the EH69 has is HDD space and the SD card slot. It might never appear on the US market, in which case waiting for it would be a mistake, OR, it might, in which case, buying the EH69 would be a costly mistake. It's all guessing game at this point. Maybe someone should call or e-mail W-I, pt B&H and ask.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #11 of 274 Old 11-02-2009, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's too bad the DMR-EH49 is not available. It is being sold for quite a bit less, making it a much more attractive purchase. All it lacks that the EH69 has is HDD space and the SD card slot. It might never appear on the US market, in which case waiting for it would be a mistake, OR, it might, in which case, buying the EH69 would be a costly mistake. It's all guessing game at this point. Maybe someone should call or e-mail W-I, pt B&H and ask.

I have to correct myself. I just did a search and it appears that the EH49 is only trivially less expensive, not significantly less than the EH69. Sorry for that mistake on my part.

Luke

post #12 of 274 Old 11-02-2009, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's a bummer, and odd too. The B&H web site is usually correct. When it says it's in stock, it is almost always in stock. Yipes! I just checked and the web site went from "in stock," to "discontinued" just since this morning. They DO have a demo EH-68 for $375, here but the condition is unknown, warranty unknown, etc.

Yeah, I'd been checking the B&H listing for the EH58 every once in a while, and it was still listed as in stock on Saturday, maybe even on Sunday morning. Then when I went back to order it Sunday night, it was out of stock.

Thanks for pointing out that demo unit. I decided to take a chance on it, and my account now shows it as "ready to ship."
post #13 of 274 Old 11-02-2009, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

JT, I don't know where you got that photo, but it's not the same photo I see on page 8 of the manual of the EH-49/59/69 that Luke gave
What manual are you looking at, do you have a link?

edit, the above link is incorrect, the correct manual shows the rear inputs
post #14 of 274 Old 11-02-2009, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

I got a letter from World-Import which says the following:
Quote:

Hello,

We will have DMR-EH69 in 5 days. Price is $550. I am getting 32pcs but 28 are pre-sold. So I have only 4 left. Call me soon if you wish to order it.

Thank You,

Victor B.

I wonder... Hmmm...

Quote:

JT, I don't know where you got that photo, but it's not the same photo I see on page 8 of the manual of the EH-49/59/69 that Luke gave
What manual are you looking at, do you have a link?

I originally posted a manual for the EH59/EH69. then, upon further looking, I found one for the EH49/EH59/EH69, and posted that link also. The form for the first manual, EH59/EH69 is:

RQT9274-L
F0209MT0

The form number for the the second manual is:

RQT9385-L
F0409MD0

So, of course they are different manuals. The thing is, the 59/69 manual shows regions 2, 3 and 4, on the front page, and specifically says: "The illustrations in these Operating Instructions show images of DMR-EH59 for New Zealand." The other manual, 49/59/69 only shows region 2 on the front page, and says "These operating instructions are applicable to models DMR-EH69, DMR-EH59 and DMR-EH49. Unless otherwise indicated, illustrations in these operating instructions are of DMR-EH69."

Silly me, I thought they were the same, except for the addition of the EH49 model.

The 59/69 manual clearly shows the video/S-Video input on the back panel. The 49/59/69 clearly shows no such inputs. The manuals aer very similar until page eight, where the things just are different. The first manual says:

Input select (AV1, AV2, AV3, AV4 or DV)

The second manual says:

Input select (AV1, AV2, AV3 or DV)

So there are two different versions of this machine. Really! Who would have known? The W-I web page says "2 sets of A/V inputs (composite and S-video), including 1 front-panel set." this would suggest to me that the 49/59/69 manual is NOT the correct one to use for this machine. Um, of course, someone would need to buy it just to be sure. Any volunteers?

The 59/69 manual is at this site. This is likely the one that W-I is selling, but of course, I can't be sure.

Thanks jtbell and jjeff for pointing out this diffference.

One more thing, does anyone have a link to a SCART to S-Video cable and a SCART to component cable? I have a SCART to composite cable, but there are better connections than composite.

Luke

post #15 of 274 Old 11-02-2009, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I updated my posts with the correct manual. Glad it has rear inputs, IMO the lack of rear inputs would have been a big deal.
"I am getting 32pcs but 28 are pre-sold. So I have only 4 left." Wow it looks like people other than just us are looking at units like these. 28 presold and it's barely on their site....
S-video.com seems to sell a ton of SCART converters.
post #16 of 274 Old 11-02-2009, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Son of a gun... the specifications page on the B&H web site for the demo EH68 that I just ordered indicates only one S-video / composite input. If that's the case, and the unit looks OK otherwise, I'll just get an S-video to SCART adapter somewhere so I can use the SCART input.

Judging from the manuals, it looks like the one-input version is for Europe, and the two-input version is for Asia and Oceania.
post #17 of 274 Old 11-03-2009, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I just loooked at the B&H page for the search term "DMR-EH" and they now show all the items, The 67, 58 and 68 as discontinued. The demo 68 isn't even listed anymore. I expected to see it as sold out or unavailable, but it's just gone. The description page for the discontinued EH68 says the following:
Quote:

Inputs
DV Input (i-Link) - x1
S-Video - x1
A/V Composite - x1 (RCA)

Outputs
Optical Digital Audio - x1
S-Video - x1
Component Video - x1 (RCA)
A/V Composite - x1 (RCA)
HDMI - x1

Other Ports
SCART x1,
USB 2.0 Port x1

This cannot be accurate. The manual I have for the EH68 clearly shows TWO SCART connectors. Mine has two. The 49/59/69 (European) manual shows two, as does the 59/69 (Asian) manual.

Please let me know how many input/output ports it has. Also, since the web page says it is region 1-5, if that is really so. I know you don't hve material for all regions 1-5, but if you have any that are from other regions, I want to know if they will play.

What do you think of W-I claiming that they only have four of these units available? I think they should have ordered a few extra, but they must know their business, and the market might be that thin. If so, additional units could be hard to sell. They still list a bunch of Pioneer HDD recorders. Do these have a better supply, or are they just that much more difficult to sell?

It seems very sad to me that these things are available, but not to be sold in the US. We're excluded. For what possible reason?

Luke

post #18 of 274 Old 11-03-2009, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

That "SCART x1" entry is definitely screwy, no matter which version of the EH68 it's for. Unless there's yet another version out there.

When mine arrives, I'll start a new thread for my experiences with it. Then we can keep this thread for the EHx9 models when/if someone gets one of those.
post #19 of 274 Old 11-03-2009, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Conspiracy theory aside I think the reason these aren't more available is JSP is just too darn cheap to consider anymore than $99 or even $199 for a good DVDR
I'm not positive on what the US available x9's have for inputs but it's my belief they have at least the front AV inputs and hopefully one rear set (along with the rear SCART input). I don't think?? any of the international Panasonics had 2 rear AV inputs like on the US Pannys w/HDD. I think the internationals traded the second rear AV input for the SCART input.
I agree though, it seems the grey market dealers info isn't always the most accurate. It will be nice if we can get a firsthand report from a owner.
post #20 of 274 Old 11-03-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Conspiracy theory aside I think the reason these aren't more available is JSP is just too darn cheap to consider anymore than $99 or even $199 for a good DVDR
I'm not positive on what the US available x9's have for inputs but it's my belief they have at least the front AV inputs and hopefully one rear set (along with the rear SCART input). I don't think?? any of the international Panasonics had 2 rear AV inputs like on the US Pannys w/HDD. I think the internationals traded the second rear AV input for the SCART input.
I agree though, it seems the grey market dealers info isn't always the most accurate. It will be nice if we can get a firsthand report from a owner.

JSP?

My EH67 and EH68 both had two SCART connectors, and each of them had inputs AND outputs, so there were four A/V inputs, one rear, one front, and two SCART. Neither of my international machines had multiple rear A/V inputs.
Quote:

It would be nice if we could get a firsthand report from an owner.

Should I call World-Import and ask who the 28 (out of 32) units were sold to, so we can get a definitive report on these thing? There is no chance that they would release this information.

Luke

post #21 of 274 Old 11-03-2009, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

JSP=Joe Six Pack
No I doubt WI wouldn't disclose customer info, but maybe one of the 28 pre-orders might post at AVS when they get theirs (or maybe I'm just being to optimistic).
Luke, are you saying the 2 SCART connectors in this photo by JT are both input and output? I guess I thought one was IN while the other was OUT but I guess the photo doesn't say IN or OUT but rather TV and EXT
post #22 of 274 Old 11-03-2009, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

JSP=Joe Six Pack
No I doubt WI wouldn't disclose customer info, but maybe one of the 28 pre-orders might post at AVS when they get theirs (or maybe I'm just being to optimistic).
Luke, are you saying the 2 SCART connectors in this photo by JT are both input and output? I guess I thought one was IN while the other was OUT but I guess the photo doesn't say IN or OUT but rather TV and EXT

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. They are BOTH input AND output. At least, using the SCART cables I have, which are composite only, it doesn't matter which of the two connectors I have the cable plugged into, the inputs and outputs work. I too thought that one was input, and the other output. That is not the case. If you look at this item, you will see it has in in/out switch. You can use it in either connector for in or out.

I sent B&H an e-mail, here it is, and the reply:
Quote:

I just did a search of your web site for Panasonic DVD recorders equipped with a hard drive, using the search term "DMR-EH". this resulted in three "hits" all of which said discontinued. Since none of these are available, will there be a follow-on unit available eventually?

I have searched Panasonic's web page, and there are many other models that they make, apparently not for the US market. Since they are being manufactured, surely they can be imported, with the appropriate warnings about the tuners not designed for the new US system, etc. Heck, my television tuner isn't working with the new system, so I have to use a box for the TV. Using a box for the DVD recorder is the same thing.

Models like the DMR-EH49/59/69 or the DMR-EX79 would work using the A/V inputs and an external tuner box.

Will any of these ever be available from your site?

Thanks,
Luke

Quote:

Hello , my name is Juan B:

Thank you for contacting B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.

We currently do not carry the panasonic models. There is no word on when we will. Currently the DVD recorders with Hard Drive we have are Pioneer. But they do not have a built in digital tuner. You would still need to record from your cable box:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Recorder.html

Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Thank you, we appreciate your business.

Juan B

If they are going to get any newer models, they are not talking about them yet. Again, others can get these, but not us in the US. Do I have to take a trip to Europe to get one of these? That would make it a REALLY expensive recorder!

Luke

post #23 of 274 Old 11-05-2009, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If anyone here is interested in buying a Panasonic E80H in perfect condition, please send me a PM.

"The truth is out there!"
post #24 of 274 Old 11-09-2009, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I just noticed today that Gandhi appliances has the DMR-EH69 listed on its web site. Has anyone ever ordered from them? Oh, it is here.

I have not seen it on on the 220-electronics site.

...but if you want something to chuckle over, check this out!

Luke

post #25 of 274 Old 11-09-2009, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

To a certain extent, when it comes to this multi-region stuff, B&H is catering almost entirely to its peculiar New York City retail base (lotsa fools with oil money zipping back and forth from Dubai). While an impeccable firm nearly 40 years in the business, in certain product categories B&H is just as likely as any other vendor to "bottom feed", exchanging one product line for another if its close enough in specs and they can make more money on it. At the moment, the final death rattles of Pioneer Video are being felt throughout the independent electronics wholesale supply chain. No doubt, B&H discovered it could pick up a pallet of discontinued multi-region 560s and 660s at a substantial discount over the new Panasonic EH-69. The Pioneers will fly out the door at the same price B&H would get for the EH-69, but at a higher per-unit profit. Once the supply of leftover Pioneers is burned off, I think you'll see B&H carry the Panasonic again.

Unless I'm totally wrong, and Panasonic has simply decided to hold back delivery of the EH-69 to North America for now (perhaps to fill demand in the Middle East, which is the biggest market for these "generic" global models?)
post #26 of 274 Old 11-11-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Although a bit on the spendy side, and I'm not sure if they'll ship to the US but I noticed a link on the top of my AVS page for a Panasonic DMR-EX79. It doesn't seem to be on every AVS page so here's the link
Looks to be compatible with NTSC and it also has a European DVB tuner, $595 and I assume AUS dollars?
post #27 of 274 Old 11-11-2009, 08:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Although a bit on the spendy side, and I'm not sure if they'll ship to the US but I noticed a link on the top of my AVS page for a Panasonic DMR-EX79. It doesn't seem to be on every AVS page so here's the link
Looks to be compatible with NTSC and it also has a European DVB tuner, $595 and I assume AUS dollars?

Hey, the site says "free delivery"....
post #28 of 274 Old 11-11-2009, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just noticed today that Gandhi appliances has the DMR-EH69 listed on its web site.

They also list the EH59.
post #29 of 274 Old 11-12-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just noticed today that Gandhi appliances has the DMR-EH69 listed on its web site. Has anyone ever ordered from them? Oh, it is here.

I have not seen it on on the 220-electronics site.

...but if you want something to chuckle over, check this out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell View Post

They also list the EH59.

Yes, they now appear to list the Eh59, but it wasn't there when I posted my original message. It is VERY new to them. It's only $50 cheaper than the EH69, so not a huge savings.

Again, I ask: Has anyone ordered from Gandhi? I looked up their ratings, and it seems they don't participate in ResellerRatings, but what I did find was not too good. Still, the people most likely to post are unhappy customers.

The World-import site still lists the EH67, EH58 and EH68 as products even though they are gone. These guys really need to update their web sites.

The "Big Brown Box" web site says "We only sell and deliver within our service areas within Australia." So I guess no North American deliveries. If you really want to know, send them an E-Mail. I see they also have the XW350 and XW450 DVD recorders. Amazing features, but $950 Australian, a little over $880 US dollars, is rather steep. It appears to really be a DVR with a built-in DVD recorder. Two high def tuners, etc. I wish we in North America could get such products. Sigh...

Luke

post #30 of 274 Old 11-12-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I see they also have the XW350 and XW450 DVD recorders. Amazing features, but $950 Australian, a little over $880 US dollars, is rather steep. It appears to really be a DVR with a built-in DVD recorder. Two high def tuners, etc. I wish we in North America could get such products. Sigh...

We could, if A) consumers here had any remote interest in archiving discs, B) consumers here were willing to pay what it actually costs to mfr/market such sophisticated gear, and C) USA and Canada had dedicated tax revenues supporting a standardized, nationally available, absolutely-required-by-law-even-via-cable-and-satellite independent DVR guide /EPG grid on the level Australia has: not the pathetic, commercial, chronically-dysfunctional "TVGOS" system that got left for dead here after the digital transition. The "dual-tuner" feature flaunted by these foreign units can be deceptive: often, the second tuner is devoted to tax-supported "free" satellite service or optional commercial subscription services (kinda like some North American home theater receivers include a Sirius/XM tuner thats useless without a subscription).
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page