Panasonic DMR-E100H Removing DVD lid - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 43 Old 12-22-2009, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 84
One other thing I was thinking. The E100H is a '03 Panny, prior to '04 Pannys didn't have thumbnails for each title but rather a one liner of text for each title. I was wondering what a unfinalized disc recorded on a thumbnail less Panny would look like if played on a Panny that used the thumbnail? I mean since the '03 Panny didn't create a thumbnail how would it act in the post '03 units?
The reason I was thinking about this is because someone in my area has a '03 E50 for sale for on CL for $25. I was just thinking about it for a spare since the ad said it worked but if it would be incompatible with my unfinalized discs I'd probably not be interested. Also the pre '05 Pannys didn't use the full D1 LP speed which I use on occasion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 12-22-2009, 05:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I despised Tegan...

After the insufferably whiny and nasal Peri, my second least favorite assistant ever was the unbearably whiny and b****y Tegan (I actually disliked her just as much - she just wasn't as bad of an actress. Bad for sure - just not as bad).

Nyssa was lame alright (nepotism at it's finest there - she was one of the staff's daughters or nieces), but next to Tegan, Adric and Davison, she didn't seem so bad. The whole thing about that period is they were trying to make the show as "kid-friendly" as they could get away with. Unfortunately, the original series stayed in that vein all the way to the end, and actually really started with T. Baker at the Romana I point - but really didn't get too bad until Adric and Tegan came on).

Jo Grant (with Pertwee) was sho' e'nuff cute - but that "mildly retarded, child in a woman's body" act just irritated the heck outta me sometimes.

I didn't really like or dislike Mel - she was just sort of - there. I was really too busy hatin' on McCoy to pay her much mind (he was by far my least favorite of all the Doctors).

Rose was the only one of the new ones that would even make my list of best - except for all that schmaltzy, "lovey-dovey" crap. Could've left "the family" out, too (like the OP noted). But I did like her character otherwise. Just wish Eccleston would've stayed on.

Nobody can touch Sarah Jane's eyes and fine, little butt, though (at least when she was young).
post #33 of 43 Old 12-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

After the insufferably whiny and nasal Peri,

Gotta agree there--Peri was so bad you have to wonder if the series got off on some sort of self-parody tangent!

Quote:

I didn't really like or dislike Mel - she was just sort of - there. I was really too busy hatin' on McCoy to pay her much mind (he was by far my least favorite of all the Doctors).

I basically missed the McCoy era--graduated from college just about that time. I did pick up most of the eps from the local public TV station a couple of years ago. So you might say I now have an opportunity to experience the, uh, Real McCoy.

Quote:

Rose was the only one of the new ones that would even make my list of best - except for all that schmaltzy, "lovey-dovey" crap. Could've left "the family" out, too (like the OP noted).

Hanky-panky in the TARDIS? Wouldn't have done back in our day, old boy!
post #34 of 43 Old 12-23-2009, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
My apologies to Eldrad for hijacking his thread. Sorry, but...

Quote:

After the insufferably whiny and nasal Peri, my second least favorite assistant ever was the unbearably whiny and b****y Tegan (I actually disliked her just as much - she just wasn't as bad of an actress. Bad for sure - just not as bad).

After who came before Peri, I liked her. Not great, but I certainly did NOT dislike her as you did.
Quote:

Nyssa was lame alright (nepotism at it's finest there - she was one of the staff's daughters or nieces), but next to Tegan, Adric and Davison, she didn't seem so bad. The whole thing about that period is they were trying to make the show as "kid-friendly" as they could get away with. Unfortunately, the original series stayed in that vein all the way to the end, and actually really started with T. Baker at the Romana I point - but really didn't get too bad until Adric and Tegan came on).

As I said, I disliked most of the Davison era. Kindred, Snakedance... Ugh. You haven't mentioned Turloug, who was the worst in my opinion. And still, in all this, there were some good episodes. Enlightenment for one.
Quote:

Jo Grant (with Pertwee) was sho' e'nuff cute - but that "mildly retarded, child in a woman's body" act just irritated the heck outta me sometimes.

She wasn't bad at all. I found her relatively useless, but not irritating. Some good episodes with her. Two Dalek stories, (I like them for some reason [EXTERMINAT!]) Axos, The 3 Doctors, even the Green Death, a bit.
Quote:

She wasn't around long enough for me to have formed a strong opinion.
Quote:

Rose was the only one of the new ones that would even make my list of best - except for all that schmaltzy, "lovey-dovey" crap. Could've left "the family" out, too (like the OP noted). But I did like her character otherwise. Just wish Eccleston would've stayed on.

I agree, too much affectionate attachment, and WAY too much family, and boyfriend!
Quote:

Nobody can touch Sarah Jane's eyes and fine, little butt, though (at least when she was young).

No disagreement on this at all. There are some scenens that still stay with me. In her last episode, after the Doctor hypnotizes her, she points to her head and says "Eldrad must live," and the Doctor spins around and looks at her closely and says "What!" to which she answers with a killer smile, and says "Just testing." That's great interaction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doswonk1 View Post

Gotta agree there--Peri was so bad you have to wonder if the series got off on some sort of self-parody tangent!

Noted! I am the only one who liked Peri.
Quote:

I basically missed the McCoy era--graduated from college just about that time. I did pick up most of the eps from the local public TV station a couple of years ago. So you might say I now have an opportunity to experience the, uh, Real McCoy.

I envy you. I haven't had the opportunity to see the classic Who episodes for many years (mid 90s at least).
Quote:

Hanky-panky in the TARDIS? Wouldn't have done back in our day, old boy!

Yeah, even with Romana, who was at least the same species as the Doctor. This whole "Doctor falling in love with Rose, Rose falling in love with the Doctor, Martha falling in love with the Doctor," stuff was off-putting to someone who was so familiar with the classic series.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #35 of 43 Old 12-24-2009, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I was really talking about the assistants and not the episodes themselves. I agree that there were a lot of good episodes otherwise during Davison's tenure, and all of Pertwee's were great (I just wasn't that crazy with that long stretch that featured the Brigadeer and Harry too much, and like the new series, every episode was based on Earth. Not that I didn't like their characters - it was just as if they were sharing top billing on the show).

I looked up Turlough to see his face, and yeah - I definitely did not care for him, either (he looks like David Caruso in the picture I saw, and I would think that would be enough for anybody to make the decision that they wouldn't want to watch him).
post #36 of 43 Old 12-24-2009, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Eeeeuuuwwww, Turlough! I totally forgot about him until somebody mentioned him in this thread. He was way too creepy for my money!

I didn't mind Davison as the Doctor; way different from Baker, but as an attempt to make the Doctor more youthful, he worked without going as "lower class" as the two guys from the new series (the working-class accents are just jarring).

Pertwee kind of got overhadowed by Tom Baker--maybe because his episodes weren't syndicated as much, though we got most of them on WTTW in Chicago in the early '80s. He was a great transition between the "gumpy old man" of Doctor 1 and the more whimsical Baker.
post #37 of 43 Old 12-26-2009, 01:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Patrick Troughton (#2) was between William Hartnell (the crusty old coot #1) and Pertwee (#3).

They showed some of the Troughton episodes on WTTW, too (some were in B&W and some were in color. Some of Pertwee's were in B&W, too).
post #38 of 43 Old 12-27-2009, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

My apologies to Eldrad for hijacking his thread.

No worries, I'm enoying the Who talk. So long as its not breaking any forum rules I'm OK with it.

Just thought I'd interject for a moment with a bit more of my DVD discovery which relates to a point made above.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

One other thing I was thinking. The E100H is a '03 Panny, prior to '04 Pannys didn't have thumbnails for each title but rather a one liner of text for each title. I was wondering what a unfinalized disc recorded on a thumbnail less Panny would look like if played on a Panny that used the thumbnail? I mean since the '03 Panny didn't create a thumbnail how would it act in the post '03 units?
The reason I was thinking about this is because someone in my area has a '03 E50 for sale for on CL for $25. I was just thinking about it for a spare since the ad said it worked but if it would be incompatible with my unfinalized discs I'd probably not be interested. Also the pre '05 Pannys didn't use the full D1 LP speed which I use on occasion.

I hadn't actually noticed the two different layouts and wasnt aware of the changeover year so thanks for that handy tip. I do have the advantage though of being able to check the above scenario since I now have an '03 E100H and a post '04 ES10.

I only have RAM discs at the moment so not sure if this will be true of any other discs, but here goes.
I recorded some material onto disc on the E100H (where its just lines of text and a full screen playback in the background), put it into the ES10 and went to Direct Navigator and the thumbnail it displays is the first frame of the clip. Presumably when no thumbnail is created by the recording machine, it defaults to the first. The same is true in reverse, the E100H displays it as text (although as noted earlier, I can only do the trip backwards when using the Maxell disc). As with any good machine, DVD or otherwise, it does seem that the more recent ones are backward compatible with the earlier ones. Phew! Hope this helps with your decision....
post #39 of 43 Old 12-27-2009, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the progress I'd made with finding compatible discs on the E100H.

So far I hadnt been able to read any of the Panasonic discs written by the ES10 with the E100H. This still holds true. All I get are No Read messages. However I have discovered that if I format a RAM disc in the ES10, then put it in the E100H, it will recognise it as a DVD-RAM. It still wont read or write to it, BUT, if I now format it on the E100H, it works! Reads and writes and can be used on the ES10 if I feel like it.

If anything has been written to the disc by the ES10 then its a no go so I wont be able to watch any of the stuff I've already recorded unless I use the ES10 but once the discs are blanked I will have a way of dubbing from the HD. I also dont have to go out and buy different brands of discs to test, the Panny ones work fine. Will be giving this same method a go with -RW when I can dig out a blank one from my cupboard!
post #40 of 43 Old 03-13-2012, 10:26 AM

Well, it took me much longer than I expected.

Taking it apart was not much of a problem.

Cleaning the spindle was easy.

I thought putting it back together was easy enough.

When i put it back, and plugged it in, the DVD tray would not open all the way.

After fiddling with it for over an hour, I noticed the white gear that is attached to the spring looked different than the picture. I made it look like the picture and put it back together.

I put in a DVD and no noise!

Thanks for the wonderful directions!
post #41 of 43 Old 03-13-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Congratulations David. Now you know and can tell others, it's NOT brain surgery. It appears much more difficult than it really is.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #42 of 43 Old 03-13-2012, 01:31 PM

Agreed!!

The problems I had were my own fault.

If I didn't make the mistake I made, I think it would have been 30-45 minutes.

How often does this need to be done?
post #43 of 43 Old 03-13-2012, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Knowles View Post

....How often does this need to be done?

Because I like to stack my recorders(don't tell SuperEye)I rarely do a take-apart cleaning of my drives, it would take hours to just get the recorder on my bench Instead I use long wooden handled Q-tips to do the cleaning from the front of the recorder(probably at 9 month intervals or if grinding gets bad). Eject the drive, unplug the DVDR and finally move the tray gently in and out to gain access to the spindle(while using a Mag light. With that or my saliva trick(not with Ty DVDs though) or better yet using Ty 8x media, I probably only do a take-apart cleaning of my spindles on a 2 year basis. If it weren't so darn hard to get at my DVDRs I'd probably do it yearly, if I only used Tys(which I'm working towards) I feel I might even be able to push the 2 year time.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page