Panasonic DMR-E100H Removing DVD lid - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 43 Old 12-17-2009, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, just joined the forum as I'm more of a reader than a writer

I just bought a used Panny DMRE100HGCS as an upgrade from my old DMR-ES10 (I wanted a nice size hard drive). The HDD is working fine but it wont read any of my DVD-RAMs that I recorded on the previous machine. It does read shop bought ones though.

I've read with interest the many posts about cleaning the spindle hub when drives start playing up. In fact I've done the procedure on my ES10 several times and it made it work like new! Thing is I've just popped the case off the E100H and its a maze of electronics! I can't seem to fathom how to access the inside of the DVD drive as it appears to be encased inside a metal box. My old one was just 4 screws and it was done.

I've searched and searched but cannot find any ref on the forum to this style of drive.

Does any have any experience in taking the lid off this model or advise how to proceed? I'm convinced if I can get to it, a good old clean will do the trick, but how to get there is worrying me...

Any help appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 12-17-2009, 09:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Eldrad must live!

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/File:SJ...tivatedHOF.jpg

http://www.my-silvermac.com/wordpres...r/eldrad_5.mp3
post #3 of 43 Old 12-18-2009, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

LOL

Oops, my cover is blown!
post #4 of 43 Old 12-18-2009, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 309
One of my favorite episodes. I was sorry to see Sarah-Jane go, but Leela was a nice replacement. From her cameos in the new Dr. Who, Sarah-Jane has aged well.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #5 of 43 Old 12-18-2009, 10:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

...Leela was a nice replacement.

Absolutely.

Sarah Jane was my favorite for sure, but I would even go so far as to say that the Leela episodes were the absolute apex of the show's run. ("The Quest is the Quest". )

When they brought in a new production and writing staff for the season starting with the Romana I episodes, Baker was so unhappy with everything that he had to be drunk on his arse to get through it (and he will be the first to admit that).

Anyway - sorry I don't have an answer for the OP's orignal problem. Maybe someone else does?
post #6 of 43 Old 12-18-2009, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I unfortunately have no experience wiuth the E100 either, so I have no no comment there.

On the other hand, I have to say that Baker had to have been happy during the Romana II series, since he did marry the actress playing her. (Of course, now she is married to Dawkins, who is a characature of himself, if that's possible.)

I agree that the Leela sequence was excellent. I especially liked some of the dialog between her and the Doctor. There was some real respect and then some humor there. "You blew them all up." "Yes." "But that was *MY* idea." "Well, then you should be pleased!"

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #7 of 43 Old 12-18-2009, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesofEldrad View Post

I've just popped the case off the E100H and its a maze of electronics! I can't seem to fathom how to access the inside of the DVD drive as it appears to be encased inside a metal box. My old one was just 4 screws and it was done.

Does any have any experience in taking the lid off this model or advise how to proceed? I'm convinced if I can get to it, a good old clean will do the trick, but how to get there is worrying me...

Any help appreciated, thanks.

I have no experience with the DVD Drive you've described. My experience is limited to the older design black plastic DVD Drives used through the 2005 model year, see the first photo, and metal case DVD Drives beginning with the 2006 model year through the current models, see the second photo.

If you have a digital camera might you post some photos of the unusual DVD Drive in your E100H? Draft the post as usual then go down to Manage Attachments. Then follow the prompts.
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #8 of 43 Old 12-18-2009, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

On the other hand, I have to say that Baker had to have been happy during the Romana II series, since he did marry the actress playing her.

Happier, maybe - with his private life, anyway.

For a short time, possibly - he was only married to her for 16 months, so it doesn't exactly sound like a marriage made in heaven.

He definitely wasn't any happier with the show, though - he's stated that many times over in interviews. He hated a lot of things about doing it and was constantly arguing with the producers and writers about things during the whole period starting with Romana I.

I guess there were a lot of complaints that the show's violence was "scaring kids" too much. I think the way they started making it more "kid-friendly" from that point on had a lot to do with it.

In the "new" series, though, all that lovey-dovey stuff and blatant, physical affection going on between the Doctor and his assistants kind of kills things for me. That just goes against a lot of what the old series was really all about. I also don't care for the fact that every darned episode is based on Earth.
post #9 of 43 Old 12-18-2009, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I agree that the Leela sequence was excellent. I especially liked some of the dialog between her and the Doctor. There was some real respect and then some humor there. "You blew them all up." "Yes." "But that was *MY* idea." "Well, then you should be pleased!"

You remember that he barked at her at least once every episode, "Put that thing away!"

(Talking about her knife, of course. He was always getting on her about her "savage" ways.)

Definitely the dynamics were at there most interesting in that relationship.
post #10 of 43 Old 12-18-2009, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter

Ha! I seem to have unleased a horde of Who fans. Nice to know I'm not the only one....

DigaDo, I thought some pics might be in order so have attached some - I hope I've done it right - (thanks for the pointers, I didnt have a clue how to do this otherwise)

1st photo is of the top of the entire inside arrangement.
2nd and 3rd are closer of the mounting screws on each side. There are some other screws lower down but not sure if they are relevant yet...
4th photo is the front of the drive (I've removed the front panel)

You can just make out that the drive itself is inside this metal box, bit like mounting a drive in a PC case. Its weird as my old one was just like the 1st photo in DigaDo's post. I dont mind undoing some screws, but which ones? Also am a bit concerned about those flimsy looking black strips across the top.

Thanks again for continued input (on Who or Dvd topic).
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #11 of 43 Old 12-18-2009, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

In the "new" series, though, all that lovey-dovey stuff and blatant, physical affection going on between the Doctor and his assistants kind of kills things for me. That just goes against a lot of what the old series was really all about.

Same here. Took me a while at first to get used to the super fast pace of the new series. Watching both series side by side, the old series is snail paced in comparison but I still like it, time to 'breathe' and take it all in. I can accept that they've made these changes for the so called mtv generation of kids who can only watch for 20 seconds before getting bored but yes the whole love interest thing is jarring. Even when they brought back Sarah Jane it was heavily implied that they had been more than just friends and that sort of tarnishes it for me.

I also hate this whole business of seeing the assisitants families. I know its supposed to be fleshing out the characters to make them seem more three dimensional but its a little too much for me to stomach sometimes. Nothing is perfect though I guess, so I'll settle for what we do get.

Now if I could just record it onto my Panny DVD that would be bliss!
post #12 of 43 Old 12-18-2009, 02:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DigaDo, I thought some pics might be in order so have attached some - I hope I've done it right - (thanks for the pointers, I didnt have a clue how to do this otherwise)

1st photo is of the top of the entire inside arrangement.
2nd and 3rd are closer of the mounting screws on each side. There are some other screws lower down but not sure if they are relevant yet...
4th photo is the front of the drive (I've removed the front panel)

You can just make out that the drive itself is inside this metal box, bit like mounting a drive in a PC case. Its weird as my old one was just like the 1st photo in DigaDo's post. I dont mind undoing some screws, but which ones? Also am a bit concerned about those flimsy looking black strips across the top.

Thanks again for continued input (on Who or Dvd topic).

Yes, you did it right. I see that you found out how to load the first three photos and then return to add more. There is a limit to five attachments per post.

The black strips across the top may be ribbon type data cables to/from the hard drive and DVD Drive. They do look flimsy so take care when working with or around them.

I'm just on my way out the door so I'll study your photos later. (That doesn't mean that I'll come up with the answer.) I will hazard these guesses--it has something to do with the screws, or, there may be some type of interlock that allows the drive to be slid out of the surrounding structure.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #13 of 43 Old 12-18-2009, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

EyesofEldrad,

Your fourth photo tends to support the notion of an "interlock" allowing the DVD Drive to slide forward out of the surrounding structure. Notice that the front lower corner braces are cut back so there would be no restrictions as the drive moves forward. Perhaps there is some release mechnism, lever or pin at the rear or elsewhere. Do you have a low angle photo showing the rear of the drive?

The ribbon cables may have different connection methods; some might have reinforced tabs near their ends to facilitate insertion into receptacles, as seen in the first photo; some might be hard-wired, as seen in the second photo; and some receptacles might have a clamping/releasing device, as shown in the third and fourth photos.
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #14 of 43 Old 12-18-2009, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

In the "new" series, though, all that lovey-dovey stuff and blatant, physical affection going on between the Doctor and his assistants kind of kills things for me. That just goes against a lot of what the old series was really all about. I also don't care for the fact that every darned episode is based on Earth.

I want Rose back.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #15 of 43 Old 12-19-2009, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 48
^^Rose stay home!

Guess it'll take the sonic screwdriver to pop the lid on the E100's dvd case...

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #16 of 43 Old 12-19-2009, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just bought a used Panny DMRE100HGCS as an upgrade from my old DMR-ES10 (I wanted a nice size hard drive). The HDD is working fine but it wont read any of my DVD-RAMs that I recorded on the previous machine. It does read shop bought ones though.

There may be some problems with a DMR-E100H attempting to read DVD-RAM discs recorded on a DMR-ES10. This standard disclaimer is found on page 10 of the DMR-E100H Operating Instructions:

"DVD-RAM recorded on this unit may not be compatible with
other DVD players, including some Panasonic players. Consult
the manual for the player to determine compatibility with
these DVD-RAM discs."

I didn't find this disclaimer in the DMR-ES10 Operating Instructions--but I didn't use the search function--so this language, or some variation, may also be found in that manual.

The DMR-E100H dates back to 2003, the copyright year of the Operating Instructions, so it is limited to use with DVD-RAM and DVD-R media.

The Panasonic Support website has a firmware update that may improve compatibility with 8x and 16x media:

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-e...MR-E100HS.D#ts

The DMR-E100H Operating Instructions may also be downloaded from the Panasonic Support website.

post #17 of 43 Old 12-19-2009, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Wow, that's interesting info. I'd just assumed that all Pannys would read each others discs and since it came without a manual I hadnt got around to downloading from the site and scouring through yet.

I've taken some more snaps of the unit (as much as possible with the rear of the unit in the way) - see attached - but do you think it might be worth putting back together and having a go with a blank disc instead of attempting to take it apart?

I dont have any new dvd-rams only ones written to on my ES10. I dont mind blanking one but if I format it on the eS10 then put it in the E100H am I right in thinking that it should find it incompatible and ask me to format? So far all its done is throw up No Read messages when I inserted a DVD-RAM. I've got some blank DVD-Rs that I can try out though.

Thanks so much DigaDo, your continued efforts really are appreciated.
LL
LL
LL
post #18 of 43 Old 12-19-2009, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Wow, that's interesting info. I'd just assumed that all Pannys would read each others discs and since it came without a manual I hadnt got around to downloading from the site and scouring through yet.

I've taken some more snaps of the unit (as much as possible with the rear of the unit in the way) - see attached - but do you think it might be worth putting back together and having a go with a blank disc instead of attempting to take it apart?

I dont have any new dvd-rams only ones written to on my ES10. I dont mind blanking one but if I format it on the eS10 then put it in the E100H am I right in thinking that it should find it incompatible and ask me to format? So far all its done is throw up No Read messages when I inserted a DVD-RAM. I've got some blank DVD-Rs that I can try out though.

Thanks so much DigaDo, your continued efforts really are appreciated.

Those photos show that removing the rear mounted printed circuit board, the power connector and the screws located at the lower left and right corners of the surround structure might be enough to allow the DVD Drive to be slid out. There might also be a secondary catch or lever at the front or that may appear as the DVD Drive is slid forward. Removal of the rear mounted printed circuit board should not disturb the ribbon cable connection(s).

Be sure to take more photos once the DVD Drive is out in the open.

Perhaps the original owner was experiencing the same difficulties that you've encountered, was unaware of the cleaning procedure and sold the E100H for those reasons. If this E100H has not had a cleaning since new it's way overdue. Once cleaned this E100H may have a new lease on life.

post #19 of 43 Old 12-19-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry to be a bit dim, but how do I remove the circuit board from the back?

Its got some movement in it but was a bit worried I might snap something!
post #20 of 43 Old 12-19-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry to be a bit dim, but how do I remove the circuit board from the back?

Its got some movement in it but was a bit worried I might snap something!

It appears that the DVD Drive side of the printed circuit board has a connector along the lower edge. This is probably a proprietary connector as it does not appear wide enough to be an IDE connector. My approach would be to remove the power connector and then grasp the printed circuit board at each end of bottom section--it may be possible to grasp the connector itself--and then pull the printed circuit board/DVD Drive connector assembly out of the DVD Drive.

Avoid grasping the printed circuit board at the top and pulling rearward.

post #21 of 43 Old 12-21-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip about removing the PCB, think it would have been a lot more trouble without knowing that they are easily removable like that.

I couldnt get to the 2 screws at the rear, too close to the rear case, plus I spotted some horizontally mounted screws down the side of the DVD case which looked like they were holding in the drive (it turns out they were) so decided the only way to do this was to remove the entire drive unit.

The short version: I took out the drive, disassembled it, cleaned the inside, the hub spindle and lens included - was very dirty. Reassembled and turned on the unit. Its all still working so thankfully I didnt blow anything up! Problem is its still not reading DVD-RAM.

However I have made a new discovery. It reads shop bought DVDs, it was doing that before, plus DVD-R (but not RW) and while it refuses to read my Panasonic DVD-RAM discs, it does read the one Maxell DVD-RAM disc I've got in my collection. It was pure chance that I put in the Maxell, and it works! I'm more confused than ever now as I would have thought Panny discs were the most compatible and all my discs were written with the same ES10.

A quick look seems to suggest that both the discs are of the same speed so I can't think what is going on. Any thoughts on that one...?

Meanwhile, I did take lots of pictures for my own reference and for posting here, to add to DigaDo's arsenal of Panasonic knowledge and for future reference should anyone else feel daunted by the task of taking one of these things apart - I know I struggled to find any info on the net about the topic.

Guide and photos to follow....
post #22 of 43 Old 12-21-2009, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I'll start from the beginning.

(photo 1)
Taking off the case of the DMR-E100H is pretty standard fare, few screws and pop off the lid to get to the inner workings. Removal of the front panel, not sure if necessary but I'd already done it for better access anyway - again comes off quite easily. Note the black ribbon type cable across the top of the drive, will get to that later.

(Photo 2 and 3)
The rear of the DVD drive has a printed circuit board and the power lead. I disconnected the power first and tucked the lead out of the way, leaving the board for a moment. The screw on the bottom left corner is also important later on.

(photo 4 and 5)
There are 3 screws holding down the ribbon cable (I'm not even sure thats the correct term so forgive my basic knowledge of names!), which end with small squares of copper. I undid each of these, had to be very careful to hold the cable at the same time to avoid it twisting and creasing. One of the screws also doubles up as a bracket screw.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #23 of 43 Old 12-21-2009, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

(photo 1)
Next I removed the PCB from the hard drive (which is at the front right hand side) and the other from the back of the DVD drive. Was able to do this thanks to DigaDo's direction of taking it out from the lower end where its connected rather than pulling at the top section, so with some careful wiggling, it worked a treat!
This allowed me to move the ribbon cables completely out of the way by simply flipping them over and resting just outside the case.

On the sides of the drive case there are 2 silver brackets with 4 screws in the top. One of them will be removed when the ribbon cable is undone, 1 is opposite that at the back and the other 2, which cannot be seen at first, are revealed once the cable is out of the way. So these were the next to be removed.

Now the whole DVD, brackets and all can be lifted out. I found I had to move it up and left, at a bit of an angle, as there is a piece of metal jutting out from where the hard drive is mounted and this prevents lifting it straight up.

(photo 2 and 3)
And there you have it, the DVD is gone, and its now free to be worked on seperately.

(photo 4 and 5)
Time to get the tin box off. There is a metal strip, which is quite flexible, at the front. This pops out and is just clipped on the underside. Undo the brackets next as they are dual purpose, they hold the brackets on and hold the dvd drive inside. There are 4 screws, 2 each side. Not forgetting the 2 screws on the rear lower corners that were in the earlier photos. Undo all these and the DVD slides out. There is also a single screw on the underside, it seems to hold on a cover that is protecting the circuits underneath so this is not necessary to remove.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #24 of 43 Old 12-21-2009, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

(photo 1 and 2)
Out of the box! There are several bits and pieces here. I undid the spring on the lower left corner (and later discovered I didnt need to but luckily had marked its original position) so the only thing that needs removing here are the 7 screws, three each side and one at the rear.

(photo 3 and 4)
Finally the lid is off and I can get to the inside of the drive to see the particularly dirty hub spindle.

Cleaned everything inside the drive and inside the main unit as it was pretty dusty. Then reassembly is basically the whole thing in reverse. I was a bit wary so made sure I didnt change the postition of any of the parts inside the drive, it went back in exactly as it had come out - I dont know if that was correct but it didnt do any harm so thats always a relief.

Not a job I'd relish repeating too often as it took a really long time, so hopefully that will stay clean for a good 6 months or more.

I hope this guide, basic as it is, is helpful to other Panny users who come across this rather unusal style DVD drive.

Merry Christmas everyone!
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #25 of 43 Old 12-21-2009, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

EyesofEldrad,

Thank you for your groundbreaking project, with descriptions and photos, that has advanced the cause of keeping vintage Panasonic recorders in service.

This DVD Drive, or others of similar design and mounting arrangement, may be common to other early Panasonic recorders.

Did you observe any model number on this DVD Drive? (Later model numbers, if displayed, begin with VXY.)

You may wish to post your findings and photos in these threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055071

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1082922

You might consider the firmware update, mentioned earlier, that may or may not resolve compatibility issues.

post #26 of 43 Old 12-21-2009, 11:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello everyone, if you have a drive like these, you can mount them in a pc via,IDE TO external usb enclosure, to find drive model ##, more then likely it is a sw-9573 0r sw-9574 series drive also used in many toshiba dvd recorders with hdd's, which have a high laser failure rate. I have several of these drives for spares but the firmware is different on each model of recorders, ie pana and toshibas. the laser is hard soldered in place on main board so it is not easily changed as with newer machines. HAPPY HOLIDAYS...............http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/icons/icon12.gif
Wink

MickinCT
post #27 of 43 Old 12-21-2009, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Did you observe any model number on this DVD Drive? (Later model numbers, if displayed, begin with VXY.)

To be honest I didnt really see much in the way of model number, but there is one in the photos when you zoom in. Its on the lid of the drive and is VMA0N84-1. Not sure if that is the number of the drive or the part number for the metal lid!

Quote:

You may wish to post your findings and photos in these threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055071

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1082922

I see you've very kindly posted a link to my guide in those two threads, if that's sufficient I dont mind leaving it at that, so anyone looking can pop across. Or I can post over there as well, if you think that would be better, I dont want to interupt the flow over on that discussion.

Quote:

You might consider the firmware update, mentioned earlier, that may or may not resolve compatibility issues.

I clicked on there just to have a look but its not working, not sure if its only temporary.....
I have a couple of questions regarding the firmware update.

1) Is there a way to backup the current state as it were, in case the new firmware has an undesirable effect? My guess would be no....

2) Does it affect the region code setting? I noticed that the back of this machine is coded as Region 3 but my region is 2. My pre-recorded DVDs are also region 2 and as I mentioned, they all play fine so I'm guessing that somewhere in its life its being made a multi-region machine, or is it just that back in 2003 companies were less fussy about it? I'm sure I came across discussions about firmware updates reverting multi region units back to the defaults (but then that was with regard to the E85 I think so maybe doesnt apply?)

3) If the firmware update does revert it back to region 3 it should only affect playing of shop bought DVDs though wouldnt it, rather than the ability to record on my own discs?

I found a site the other day with instructions on how to access the service menu on the E100H, I might give that a go, not to make any changes but to see if it will tell me information about the region setting.

Sorry, I seem to have cropped up more questions than answers....
post #28 of 43 Old 12-21-2009, 02:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

To be honest I didnt really see much in the way of model number, but there is one in the photos when you zoom in. Its on the lid of the drive and is VMA0N84-1. Not sure if that is the number of the drive or the part number for the metal lid!

I see you've very kindly posted a link to my guide in those two threads, if that's sufficient I dont mind leaving it at that, so anyone looking can pop across. Or I can post over there as well, if you think that would be better, I dont want to interupt the flow over on that discussion.

I clicked on there just to have a look but its not working, not sure if its only temporary.....

I have a couple of questions regarding the firmware update...

I found a site the other day with instructions on how to access the service menu on the E100H, I might give that a go, not to make any changes but to see if it will tell me information about the region setting.

Sorry, I seem to have cropped up more questions than answers....

I would not risk a Region 1 firmware upgrade (found on the Panasonic USA website) for a Region 3 machine, even if it the machine was originally a Region 1 machine "hacked" to become a Region 3 machine. The Region 3 "hack" might have much to do with the disc compatibility issues you've encountered. I have no experience in this area.

I posted links in the earlier threads because your project is relevant to and advances those earlier discussions.

The DMR-E100H parts list (at the Panasonic USA Support website) doesn't list the part number you found. The parts list shows the DVD Drive as VXY1789 with a current retail price of $511.95. There are also two Optical Pickup variants, both with numbers beginning RAF3090A-2. If these parts are made by outside vendors the vendor-assigned model numbers would likely be different than the Panasonic part number.

Mickinct is the authority in these matters.

post #29 of 43 Old 12-21-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I would not risk a Region 1 firmware upgrade (found on the Panasonic USA website) for a Region 3 machine, even if it the machine was originally a Region 1 machine "hacked" to become a Region 3 machine. The Region 3 "hack" might have much to do with the disc compatibility issues you've encountered. I have no experience in this area.

I tend to agree. The way I see it, as it stands I have a machine that is in good working order. My original suspscion that it was faulty has proven to be wrong, its looking more and more like an incompatible media issue rather than a bad drive and I think the firmware upgrade, for various reasons, is probably not the direction to go in - if it aint broke, dont fix it, or fiddle about with it!

I've no experience with 'hacks' either, although aware of them, I've never really needed them, I like the simplicity of plug n play so not sure if its what is causing the compatibilty issue or not, and at the risk of making the machine unusable, dont think its worth the gamble.

Its slightly disappointing that I cant play my old discs on this machine and that it doesnt cope with as many formats as my ES10 but on the up side, its all working and I pretty much got what I wanted, a Panasonic dvd recorder with inbuilt HDD (to save me having to change all those discs!). I'll probably stick with it for now, give it a whirl and see how it suits me.

I picked it up pretty cheaply so at the very least its a great hard drive recorder. If I want to watch my old discs I can always pull out the ES10 - as its now zipping along nicely after its bi-monthly hub clean.

It was a good experience though, taking it apart, feel that we've all gained some knowledge with that undertaking.

Thanks again for all the input and info. Its so nice to have joined a forum of friendly and open people, I know not all forums are this way so its very refreshing. I'll probably head back here sometime and ask that oft asked question, "which dvd recorder should I buy next time?"!!!

Hope everyone has a happy holidays!
post #30 of 43 Old 12-22-2009, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I want Rose back.

I have decided that Martha has been my favorite companion of the new series. In the old, Sarah Jane, and Romana II were on the top of the list. I rather liked Ace, for no good reason since there wasn't much likelable about her. I despised Tegan and Turloug, and there was something really off-putting about Adric. This pretty much ruined the Peter Davison era for me.
Quote:

There may be some problems with a DMR-E100H attempting to read DVD-RAM discs recorded on a DMR-ES10. This standard disclaimer is found on page 10 of the DMR-E100H Operating Instructions:

"DVD-RAM recorded on this unit may not be compatible with
other DVD players, including some Panasonic players. Consult
the manual for the player to determine compatibility with
these DVD-RAM discs."

Not that it's really pertinent or anything, BUT, I discovered with the EH67, that when I made a -RAm disk on that machine, when I tried to play it on my EH55, or EH75, the titles did not show up. The content was there, and the thumbnails were there, but the titles were blank. Putting the disk back into the EH67, they were there. It was a small thing, but with this mention of -RAM disk incompatiblity, I thought I'd mention it.

EyesofEldrad: The effort you have gone through, and the level of documentation you have provided is truely impressive. Thanks much for the postings.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page