Panasonic DMR-EZ48V - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-19-2010, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are the reasons for the freezing of the DVD during the reading ?
It happened once with a DVD-R (EQUIP) (6-hour registration), the only type that I have always used.
I did not dare to reput this disc even after cleaning it.

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-19-2010, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I've had many DVD players lock up during playback. Most of the time it's due to a bad or scratched disc. Sometimes holding STOP or POWER on the main unit for 10 seconds will force the player off and allow you to start playback again but sometimes only pulling the power cable will turn the player off and regain function. I rarely use my DVDRs for playback but with the EZ-48 you could just try the little reset button under the flip down lid in the front. It should clear most lockups.
What your describing is more a fault of the disc than player although some players are more apt to lockup with a bad disc than others. If the lockups become more common and the discs play fine on another player it may be the fault of the EZ-48 but again some players are just more fussy than others.
post #3 of 13 Old 01-19-2010, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
What are the reasons for the freezing of the DVD during the reading ?

The EZ series of combo models doesn't need a reason for freezing or locking up...
Welcome to the EZ Riders Club, where all members share your pain. The more technically experienced posters here say it's the poor integration of the digital tuners in the EZ line, that is most to blame for an ever expanding list of glitches these models come with.

What brand of discs were you using? Poor quality media can cause recording issues and I've necer heard of a brand called Equip.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #4 of 13 Old 01-22-2010, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you, jjeff and Westly-C.

I am reassured about the phenomenons appearing in the club...
EQUIP is TM made in Taiwan for Shoppers Drug Mark (Canada).
I guess I could be more sophisticated about my choice of DVDs.
I've been attracted by the facility to obtain 10 discs for 8 $ CA at the corner drug store !
post #5 of 13 Old 01-22-2010, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemond8 View Post

Thank you, jjeff and Westly-C.

I am reassured about the phenomenons appearing in the club...
EQUIP is TM made in Taiwan for Shoppers Drug Mark (Canada).
I guess I could be more sophisticated about my choice of DVDs.
I've been attracted by the facility to obtain 10 discs for 8 $ CA at the corner drug store !

The best blank media to use with a Panasonic recorder are Taiyo Yuden (Premium Line) 8x DVD-R discs. Here is one Canadian source that has 100 discs priced below $27.00, what a deal!

http://blankmedia.ca/proddetail3.asp?id=303

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #6 of 13 Old 01-24-2010, 01:07 PM

I have the EZ48V and have a couple of my own issues. I record daily shows off broadcast television and every so often I find my shows did not record because the machine says they are copyright protected, what gives? I was at home the one day and powered the machine down and then tried to just hit the record button, not using the timer, and still it would not record. Any way to fix this? What sets this off because these shows are definitely not copy-right protected so what is causing the Panny to think they are?

Another issue is that during playback or even just watching TV through the unit, an error message pops up that there is a problem with the DVD and it will now try to repair. I can't seem to stop it and the machine keeps looping with the OOOO across the readout and does not ever "repair" itself, even 12 hours later. Anyone have this happen? Any solutions? I finally just kept unplugging the unit again and again until finally it came back on where I could use it again.

Appreciate your input, as always.
post #7 of 13 Old 01-25-2010, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Hi DigaDo,

I would call this a real rose without a spine...
Thanks for the reference.
post #8 of 13 Old 02-06-2010, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

For DigaDo (and every reader) :

I meant a rose without a thorn... (épine).
post #9 of 13 Old 03-10-2010, 03:02 PM

I have had this machine for more than a year and a half now and the other day, as I was trying to finalize a DVD that I had recorded a television program on, the player displayed the message "Cannot read. Please check the disc." I took out the DVD and inserted a blank one and it showed the same message. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? I googled it but there didn't seem to be anything definitive. Thanks in advance!
post #10 of 13 Old 03-10-2010, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by faster_pie View Post

I have had this machine for more than a year and a half now and the other day, as I was trying to finalize a DVD that I had recorded a television program on, the player displayed the message "Cannot read. Please check the disc." I took out the DVD and inserted a blank one and it showed the same message. Does anyone know how I can fix this problem? I googled it but there didn't seem to be anything definitive. Thanks in advance!

Listen to the DVD Drive when it shows the "no read" error. Has it been making "grinding" noises? That usually indicates that it needs the routine DVD Drive rubber hub and spindle cleaning. The DVD Drive rubber hub attracts dust, debris and oily skin residue that causes a clamped disc to slip on the rubber hub during read, write and finalizing operations.

The usual routine service interval is every six to eight months, more frequently with heavy use, in warm, dusty or smoking environments; or where discs are handled with a finger through the center hole. This post and those following it have advice, information and photos:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

Follow the advice and heed the cautions. It's very important to position the roller/slider to the far left at the rear of the disc tray, and do not extend the disc tray with the DVD Drive lid removed--serious complications may result.

Does the DVD Drive make "clunking," "chugging" or "errrp" noises? The problem might be as simple as a dirty lens that requires gentle cleaning at the same time as the hub and spindle are being cleaned, or it might be as serious as a failing or failed laser assembly. If the laser assembly is the problem you should send a private message to Mickinct to arrange for laser assembly replacement.

Or, it might be time to step up to one of the outstanding Magnavox HDD/DVD Recorders.  The first post in Wajo's sticky thread is a wealth of information concerning these recorders:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12244086

I write from experience. I own around thirty functional Panasonic ES, EH and EA series recorders (and five of my six EZ series recorders have now been junked starting in 2009-with the sixth, a little-used DMR-EZ47, being retained for parts). I also own a dozen Magnavox and Philips HDD/DVD recorders, four more Magnavox recorders and three other Funai-built Toshiba and PYE recorders.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #11 of 13 Old 03-15-2014, 09:33 AM

I had to reboot my DMR-EZ48V after it froze while trying to delete a recorded show. Now the digital tuner only shows black and it cannot even find any of the channels it previously tuned into. Any ideas for getting the tuner online again? I've reset, reset while doing auto channel search, held down the channel up/down buttons, unplugged for hours, still no joy. After it survived the encryption of both the analog and the digital channels, it is a real disappointment for the tuner to disappear this way!
post #12 of 13 Old 03-15-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamedNameless View Post

I had to reboot my DMR-EZ48V after it froze while trying to delete a recorded show. Now the digital tuner only shows black and it cannot even find any of the channels it previously tuned into. Any ideas for getting the tuner online again? I've reset, reset while doing auto channel search, held down the channel up/down buttons, unplugged for hours, still no joy. After it survived the encryption of both the analog and the digital channels, it is a real disappointment for the tuner to disappear this way!

What cable company (are you held prisoner by) do you have? Tuesday, Comcast pulled the plug on the unscrambled digital local channels for me, making the QAM tuner in my Panasonic EZ47 obsolete. Do you have another device with a QAM tuner that's still getting reception of your locals you can check to see if they're still there, and it truly is the ez48 that's on the fritz?

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #13 of 13 Old 03-15-2014, 10:12 PM

I'm in Time Warner land, but they did their digital channel encryption in January. I still got the lower number channels just fine afterwards. And on the analog channels that I can see on the tv if I plug the cable directly into that, there are ads for time warner, letting you know that you have to get a box if you want to see those channels, but there are only black screens when I tune to those channels on the DMR. It's definitely the tuner on the Panny. It seems to be a software issue, since it happened during the error, and it briefly happened once last year, but as soon as I rebooted that time the channels reappeared. I was hoping someone here might have a magic fix of some combination of buttons to press to force it to find the tuner. Thanks for responding though!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page