AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacinMan View Post

Something I just thought to ask is this:
with everything i need to buy to make the pioneer compatible with digital ota, is there maybe a more current DVD recorder that's equally as good, that would add support for DVD+R and DVD-/+DL? The other thing is, now i have a miniDV camcorder with firewire, I could have gotten direct support for this buying the 320, instead of the 220,

Wait a few weeks, then check the WalMart website for the updated Magnavox MDR533 model which is expected in early to mid fall. This recorder has a built-in 16:9 digital tuner, plus built-in 320GB HDD recorder to supplement/enhance the DVD burner. Based on your previous work in the post industry, think of it as a simplified version of an NLE like Avid, except it records TV for you. When you want to keep something, it can make a high speed copy from HDD to DVD in about 18 mins. The unit includes a FireWire/DV input for your MiniDV camcorder. It can burn -R, -RW, +R and +RW but not DL discs. It won't burn DL media, but since the HDD can record and store about 80 hours at the SP speed you really won't need DL anyway. (Getting reliable DL discs can be a pain, and they burn better on PCs than DVD recorders.) Note you would still need a filter box to record any "protected" material from line inputs with the Magnavox, just as you would with the Pioneer.

The recently-discontinued Magnavox 513 model, which is all but identical to the "new" 533, was priced between $169-$279 depending on condition (refurbished or brand new) and what dealer you bought it from. So it is unlikely the new 533 will be priced more than $279 when it becomes available, although given past pricing games played by WalMart it could be as little as $229 or as much as $329. Wait and see what happens: believe me, it will be discussed to death here on AVS the minute it hits the shelves. You'll find out more than you ever wanted to know about it, just check back here around late September.

(BTW, I just ran a quick search for "Zenith DTT901" on the eBay site, and there are plenty in the $40 range. The "Best Buy" house brand version of the Zenith was the Insignia NS-DXA1, these are even cheaper. So it shouldn't be all that expensive to update your Pioneer to digital tuning.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello. I thankyou for your information .My pioneerdvr 220 worked one nite would' not power up next day Fuse ok .bought it new in 2004.$329 on sale I love it hope i can fix , Iwas atig welder and custom metal fabricator .I just joined avs tonite I think it will help me fix some of my old stuff. Thank's again..
post #33 of 33 Old 04-18-2013, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I had the same problem, purchased and replaced the parts (two capacitors) and my DVR is good as new. Thanks to this forum and the solution presented. Thanks very much.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page