DVD recorders finalize issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-11-2010, 10:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
TOSBIBA DR430 Problems

Just bought a dvd recorder from bestbuy to record the world cup games, I recorded the first game, finalize the discs and when I put in my regulard DVD player at home, when I hit the play button, I can see the chapter on the screen and minutes moving showing that is working but I am not getting any image. I hope someone can help, I am not sure i have some issue with my settings, I currently have the dvd recorder with three regular cable going to the video in in the back to of my Sony TV. I am not sure I should buy an HDMI cable and try it, but I am able to see the chapter therefore the recording is going well, it is just the finalize that I think I am screwing up, when I put it in the regulare DVD player, I see the date of record and time and the letters SP after the time. Thanks for the help in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-12-2010, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Do you get any image when playing the disc on your Toshiba? If you're recording a blank signal your counter will probably still advance but of course the picture will be blank. Are you getting audio?
How are you getting your signal? built in tuner? STB(cable/satellite box?)
If from a STB then I'd run that cable directly to your TV to verify it is indeed working. After you verify that run the cable then run it to your Toshiba's line input. Also make sure on your Toshiba that you've selected the proper line input. Most DVDRs have both front and rear inputs and you've got to select the correct one.
Better get that DVDR working by this afternoon, wouldn't want to miss the US beating England I'm all setup to record it. Figured I should watch at least one soccer game a year, maybe I'll like it and record more. The opening ceremonies were good last night with Shakira, Alicia Keys, etc. Just stumbled upon it flipping channels and was glad I did.
Good luck getting your DVDR to work.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-12-2010, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
With the TV's remote control be sure that you select the input where your Toshiba is connected.
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #4 of 9 Old 06-12-2010, 05:38 PM

Liked: 11
Jjeff has the good questions for you. I just verified the DVDR you bought does not have a tuner so your connections for getting the picture into the recorder are important. It would help for you to described your connections to the recorder and then the recorder to the tv and that you can see your DVD pictures on your TV using any DVD.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-12-2010, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

I have the connection from the back of the DVD recorder to the back of the TV ( Vidoe in - three cables - one for Video and the two other for Audio), I have not tried the connecting to the front instead, I am at work now, I will check tomorrow.

Does that means, all I have recorded up to now is not good since you mentioned that I may have been rocording a blank signal.

The DVD does not work on the DVD player, neither onregular DVD players, again, I am at work, when I get home, I will give you guys the exact connection that I have so far.

Anyway to recover the discs that I have so far, when I put them in, I see the Title with the time recorded but when I push the play button , the time is moving and I do not get any audio or pictures. Thanks guy - by the way, 1 - 1 draw with England hopefully beat the next Game Coming UP - Thanks to all.

I will give the exact the connection tomorrow again when I get home.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-12-2010, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

I get my Signal from Cable Comcast, the TV that I have is SONY, amd I have three cables coming from the back of the DVD recorder to Vidoe in of the TV. THanks.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-12-2010, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Should I try putting any DVD on my DVD recorder and test if it will work to test my connection, I was just thinking about that, I have never used a regular dvd in the DVD recorder before, I will try it and see what happens - thanks people
post #8 of 9 Old 06-12-2010, 08:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by haiti30 View Post

Should I try putting any DVD on my DVD recorder and test if it will work to test my connection, I was just thinking about that, I have never used a regular dvd in the DVD recorder before, I will try it and see what happens - thanks people

A DVD will probably play OK but you don't have a tuned signal coming INTO your tunerless recorder.

With a tunerless recorder, you have to feed it a signal tuned by another device, like a cable box that does have a tuner. Otherwise, it'll just record a black screen.

You'd feed that tuned signal INTO your recorder's line connection named AV IN or similar, probably with the same type of cables you're using for connecting the recorder output to the TV.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-13-2010, 01:27 PM

Liked: 11
Wajo is correct. The connection you have described...connecting the DVD recorder output to the TV audio/video input will mean that any DVD you play on the recorder should play on your TV, and you would chose the Input Channel for the DVD connection to see the picture on your TV (Like Digado says above). It also sounds like you are not set up to record from your Set top Box, which I assume for comcast cable is how you get your TV signal.

First, right now you can see what you have to select on your TV to see a picture coming from the DVD recorder. It could be something like Line 1 or Input 1. Check your Toshiba Manual.

If your only TV signal comes from a set top box and you only have one of these, I believe as far as recording is concerned, you will only be able to record and watch one channel at a time. Because you will use the TV tuner as your DVDR has no tuner. Years ago when cable first came out, I did rent 2 boxes and recorded from one while I watched a different channel on the other.

Just remember...the idea is to record the TV signal that goes to the TV so you have to intercept it and place a recorder between a set top box and a TV. You probably have to have your TV on a certain channel to get the box signal, that is the same channel your DVDR will have to be set to, to intercept the TV signal. It is the channel the box is set to, that decides what will be recorded (just as now it shows you what you can watch on your TV).

What you can do right now certainly is play any DVD on your recorder and watch it on your TV.

It is the recording that is more involved. Something that was simple with cable ready TVs and recorders, has gone back 20 years to the set top box as being the only tuner we can use with digital tv.

I still have analog coming through my Cable system, no set top box and my Toshiba DVDR and TV both have their own tuners so my hookup is easier right now.

You will be able to record on your DVDR. You might want to look through the manual about setting it up for External Device.

You can get help here and suggestions. Since you haven't used your DVDR to play a DVD movie or a recording someone has done, you could set that up first to see how things are connected to watch a DVD vs watching the TV.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page