Panasonic DMR-EH55S No Read - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just joined after lurking the last year when I found this site. My problem is I have two Panasonic DMR-EH55S recorders that I bought new in the spring of 2008 to replace two other Pany's that were stolen in a residential burglary.

They have been performing flawlessly until last Saturday when I attempted to format a DVD+R DL disc in one of the machines. After the lengthy attempted format, which I thought might be a defective disc, neither machine will read any disc, including any commercial movies I have purchased.

I am stumped as to why they both failed at exactly the same time as I only tried to format the disc in one machine.
One machine failing I could easily understand. I have searched this forum as well as several Google searches for the cause of the issue to no avail. Panasonic tech support was of no help either.

I have disconnected the power for 48 hours and upon plugging back in the time reset correctly so maybe I didn't leave them unplugged long enough. I then tried resetting both machines to the factory defaults by pressing the channel up/down buttons at the same time. I have cleaned the hub and laser with alcohol and several Q-Tips. Nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any other suggestions I could try?

I might add that they are connected to two Comcast HD boxes with the included cable blaster for a digital HD source as well as HDMI cables to my Panasonic Plasma.

I hate to think about sending them in for repairs and also I am afraid if I do they will format the hard drives and I have several programs I need to copy to disc which I do not want to lose.

As an added note the recorders make several loud noises similar to whirring and starting, stopping for about 20 seconds or so after the tray opens and whether a disc is loaded or not. It says "reading" on the display and of course "no read" after the noise quits with or without a disc.

I dug an old Pany ES-15 out of the closet and hooked it up and it is very quiet. After a disc is loaded it reads quietly and very quickly and if the tray is shut with no disc inserted it says no disc on the display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Can you still view recorded shows on the hard drive, as well as the cable box feed thru the line input?
If so, then it's the dvd drives that have gone bad and need replacing. If you can't access the hdd or view the Line input channel, then the problem is the well documented capacitor failure, which will not power the hard drive or any other functions (you've reported the time reset itself, so that sounds like good news-maybe it's only the dvd drive/laser assembly that's failed).

If you choose to send them in to Panson's Elgin service center, you can include in your letter to them to save the contents of the hdd, and they will. Enter Panasonic Elgin IL (or Panasonic Repair) into the search box to find the address and phone number. It should be easy to find, as the problem/topic you'll dealing with comes up almost monthly.

If you're up for it, you may be able to attempt repair of them on your own. You could buy a functioning Panasonic recorder off ebay, and remove it's dvd drive to replace one in your EH55. DVD Drive swappablity (by model) is also discussed in one of the Panasonic Repair threads.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #3 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Can you still view recorded shows on the hard drive, as well as the cable box feed thru the line input?
If so, then it's the dvd drives that have gone bad and need replacing. If you can't access the hdd or view the Line input channel, then the problem is the well documented capacitor failure, which will not power the hard drive or any other functions (you've reported the time reset itself, so that sounds like good news-maybe it's only the dvd drive/laser assembly that's failed).

If you choose to send them in to Panson's Elgin service center, you can include in your letter to them to save the contents of the hdd, and they will. Enter Panasonic Elgin IL (or Panasonic Repair) into the search box to find the address and phone number. It should be easy to find, as the problem/topic you'll dealing with comes up almost monthly.

If you're up for it, you may be able to attempt repair of them on your own. You could buy a functioning Panasonic recorder off ebay, and remove it's dvd drive to replace one in your EH55. DVD Drive swappablity (by model) is also discussed in one of the Panasonic Repair threads.

Thanks for your Info Westly-C. Yes I can record, watch and edit on the hard drive as well as see the cable box input, not sure about the SD slot as I've never used it. I just can't dub to disc or watch a movie I have purchased. I just think it is very strange for two of them to go at the same time. I do have all my A/V equipment plugged into a UPS so I doubt it would be an electrical issue. I was just reading the Panasonic repair thread in Elgin, Il and will search the site for the drive swap compatibility thread.
Thanks again,
Bill
post #4 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Information concerning Panasonic's Elgin Illinois Service Center is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1056657

Information concerning capacitor replacement is found in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1055111

Panasonic's 2006 model year hard drive models use the unique VXY1945 DVD Drive most likely optimized for high-speed dubbing and other features unique to hard drive models. For those reasons I would discourage swapping in a 2006 non-hard drive model DVD Drive (VXY1916, VXY1972 or the "no model number" DVD Drive found in the DMR-ES15 and DMR-ES25). More compatibility information for Panasonic DVD Drives is found in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1082922

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #5 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybill View Post

As an added note the recorders make several loud noises similar to whirring and starting, stopping for about 20 seconds or so after the tray opens and whether a disc is loaded or not. It says "reading" on the display and of course "no read" after the noise quits with or without a disc.

I dug an old Pany ES-15 out of the closet and hooked it up and it is very quiet. After a disc is loaded it reads quietly and very quickly and if the tray is shut with no disc inserted it says no disc on the display.

With a problematic DVD Drive "grinding" noises might indicate a dirty rubber hub atop the spindle (turntable). If the DVD Drive noises may be characterized as "clunking" "chugging" or "errrp" there may be a dirty lens or a failed laser assembly. In either case the routine lens and rubber hub and spindle cleaning should be performed prior to attempting a diagnosis of continuing problem(s). More detail is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #6 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Panasonic's 2006 model year hard drive models use the unique VXY1945 DVD Drive most likely optimized for high-speed dubbing and other features unique to hard drive models. For those reasons I would discourage attempting to swap in a 2006 model year non-hard drive model DVD Drive (VXY1916, VXY1972 or the "no model number" DVD Drive found in the DMR-ES15 and DMR-ES25) into a hard drive model. More compatibility information for Panasonic DVD Drives is found in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1082922

Thanks for clarifying things. I forgot to mention that the drive would have to be from the same model year, and hadn't thought about possible differences in a dvd drive from a hdd based model, vs a non hdd unit.

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #7 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for clarifying things. I forgot to mention that the drive would have to be from the same model year, and hadn't thought about possible differences in a dvd drive from a hdd based model, vs a non hdd unit.

The DVD Drive model number is found stamped on the DVD Drive lid. Mispat has provided this photo of the VXY1945 DVD Drive:
LL

post #8 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help and advice everyone. The drive number on one of the EH-55's is
VXY1956. Tomorrow I will try to allocate enough time to take the lid off my ES-15 and see what the number is on it and swap them if they are the same. If not I will call the repair center and see if they can offer a quick turn around, it might pay to drive to Elgin and drop them off. Saving shipping on two units would certainly pay for a room if they can fix them in a couple of days and wouldn't have to worry about shipping damage.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

...I have two Panasonic DMR-EH55S recorders that ... have been performing flawlessly until last Saturday when I attempted to format a DVD+R DL disc in one of the machines. After the lengthy attempted format...neither machine will read any disc, including any commercial movies I have purchased.

I am stumped as to why they both failed at exactly the same time as I only tried to format the disc in one machine.

I have to say, that's an interesting story. I cannot imagine how they could both fail at the same time in the same way without a common cause. Since they are on UPSes, I would be reluctant to blame electrical causes, which was my first thought. If you can record and playback form the HDD, some damaging "signal" from the cable company is unlikely.

I hope somepone smarter than me is out there, because I am at a loss to come up even a plausable reason for the combined failure.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #10 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I have to say, that's an interesting story. I cannot imagine how they could both fail at the same time in the same way without a common cause. Since they are on UPSes, I would be reluctant to blame electrical causes, which was my first thought. If you can record and playback form the HDD, some damaging "signal" from the cable company is unlikely.

I hope somepone smarter than me is out there, because I am at a loss to come up even a plausable reason for the combined failure.

Having them both fail at the same time is what is bugging me most. The UPS came about because I almost had a disc finalized and lost all power to the house. I went outside and the power company had two men up on the pole doing some kind of maintenance work. I was like WTH, but not that nice to them and asked why they couldn't have come to the door and explain what they were about to do. At least now I have a little insurance for time, not to mention the lightning factor. The two Pannys and my plasma are plugged into the battery side and my surround sound receiver, vcr's, cd player, etc are plugged into a couple of surge protectors on the surge side.

I also wondered if Comcast was able to send out some kind of signal to make the units malfunction.
post #11 of 16 Old 06-17-2010, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Well I tried calling Panasonic this morning with the number from the repair thread and got a recording saying to leave a detailed message and they would return my call.
About 10 seconds into my recording another message comes on thanking me for my call and hangs up...is this any way to run a railroad? Has this happened to anyone else? Guess I'll try again later this afternoon or in the morning.
Panasonic Service Center
410 B Airport Rd.
Elgin, IL 60123
1-847-468-5543

I just called back and just spoke with a nice lady named Lisa. I explained my problems to her and asked if they still had the flat $130.00 service and she said yes.
I also inquired about the possibility of driving my units to Elgin and getting a quick turn around. She told me that if I could have them there in the morning,
that they would be fixed by that afternoon providing they had the parts in stock and I would save the return shipping for two units which would be $60.00.
Next week will be very hectic for me so hopefully the week after I can make the trip in one day.
post #12 of 16 Old 08-20-2010, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

It has been to long since I first posted my problem and since I was running low on hard drive space on both machines about six hours SP on one machine and eight hours on the other one, I called the repair facility in Elgin, Il. again on Wednesday the 18th and asked them again about driving them up and waiting on repairs to be completed.

I spoke again with Lisa and she thought that if they had the parts it wouldn't be a problem. She mentioned she was off the next day and to talk with Cecelia when I got there and she would let her know in the meantime what we had discussed.

I got there at 8 am their time on the 19th, leaving Indy at 5 am (one hours time difference and 234 miles later) to be there when they opened. The place is huge and the doors are locked so you have to ring the doorbell to be let in.

I did have to have new optical drives installed in both recorders, but was only able to bring one home with me as they close at 4:30 and the tech had trouble getting them aligned. Apparently the controller board was not installed with the new drive, as my receipt only states replaced optical and alignment. The person that logs in the units to be repaired and assigning them to the techs was two hours late getting to work and if she had been on time I'm thinking I could have brought both machines home and arrived at a reasonable hour. I was even to tired to drink any beer. The one I was able to bring home still had all my shows in tact as I made it very clear to not delete anything or reformat the hard drive. Let's hope I get the other one the same way. My bill for the one I brought home was $100.00 even since no shipping was involved.

They called around noon today and said the other machine was ready so I told them to just to ship it back by UPS and I should have it by next Tues. or Wed. I'm not sure if I would do the drive again as it took all day with the waiting and not getting back in Indy till around 10pm, also considering a tank and a half of gas and about $10 in tolls.

On a side note after dropping them off and asking where I could go eat breakfast, I asked Cecelia what the difference was between Elgin and the Elk Grove Village repair facilities. She said that Elgin does all the DVD recorder repairs now and Elk Grove Village facility repairs other Panasonic items.

Also I have noticed on another thread a link being posted for the service manual for a DMR-EH75VP. Would anyone have a link for the DMR-EH55 service manual. I would certainly appreciate it as I have made countless searches on here and Google.
post #13 of 16 Old 08-20-2010, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It has been to long since I first posted my problem...

I called the repair facility in Elgin, Il. again on Wednesday the 18th and asked them again about driving them up and waiting on repairs to be completed.

I spoke again with Lisa and she thought that if they had the parts it wouldn't be a problem...

The place is huge and the doors are locked so you have to ring the doorbell to be let in.

I did have to have new optical drives installed in both recorders, but was only able to bring one home with me as they close at 4:30 and the tech had trouble getting them aligned. Apparently the controller board was not installed with the new drive, as my receipt only states replaced optical and alignment. The person that logs in the units to be repaired and assigning them to the techs was two hours late getting to work and if she had been on time I'm thinking I could have brought both machines home and arrived at a reasonable hour. I was even to tired to drink any beer. The one I was able to bring home still had all my shows in tact as I made it very clear to not delete anything or reformat the hard drive. Let's hope I get the other one the same way. My bill for the one I brought home was $100.00 even since no shipping was involved.

They called around noon today and said the other machine was ready so I told them to just to ship it back by UPS...

On a side note after dropping them off and asking where I could go eat breakfast, I asked Cecelia what the difference was between Elgin and the Elk Grove Village repair facilities. She said that Elgin does all the DVD recorder repairs now and Elk Grove Village facility repairs other Panasonic items.

Also I have noticed on another thread a link being posted for the service manual for a DMR-EH75VP. Would anyone have a link for the DMR-EH55 service manual. I would certainly appreciate it as I have made countless searches on here and Google.

Did the receipt refer to the "optical pick up" or the "RAM Drive?" The "optical pick up" would be the laser assembly whereas the "RAM Drive" is the DVD Drive. The "alignment" consist of certain reset procedures performed in Service Mode.

Thank you for providing information concerning your Elgin experience as well as the new information concerning Elk Grove Village. I'll revise my post(s) in the "Panasonic Repairs..." thread to incorporate updated information. There will be other threads where I'll make similar revisions as the relevant posts come to my attention.

I'm assuming that you refer to the Tomwil post I've linked below. Notice that post's linked website asks, "Looking for something else? Click Here" where entering DMR-EH55 turns up two versions of the DMR-EH55 Service Manual (with model name suffixes of EE and EC). Since that website allows two free service manual downloads per day one might download both versions as "free is a very good price!" (I had to pay for the Canadian English DMR-EH55 Service Manual I downloaded from another website a couple of years ago.)

That website link is found in this Tomwil post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post18982095

post #14 of 16 Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response DigaDo, I find your wealth of knowledge and informative posts a tremendous asset to this forum.

Upon closer inspection of the receipt, it does show a part number of RAF3331A optical pick up. When I picked up the finished machine I was told the alignment was done on a machine and often takes around an hour to do, but the tech had trouble on both of mine. Before I left he said if he could wipe the hard drive he could be finished in a few minutes, so I have no idea why it matters if there is data on it or not.

I can now understand why most if not all repair shops refuse to do this type of repair and even if I could have ordered the parts myself, I'm sure I would have botched the job and had a couple of nice boat anchors. I know the Panasonic parts dept. wanted over $400.00 for one DVD drive assembly, making the flat rate repair very valuable.

The link you posted is the one I was referring to, I just did the download of both EH-55 manuals and will look at them tomorrow. I could have sworn I tried this a week or two ago and the downloads were in Hungarian. I guess I must have been on another site.

Thanks again DigaDo.
post #15 of 16 Old 08-20-2010, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...Upon closer inspection of the receipt, it does show a part number of RAF3331A optical pick up. When I picked up the finished machine I was told the alignment was done on a machine and often takes around an hour to do, but the tech had trouble on both of mine. Before I left he said if he could wipe the hard drive he could be finished in a few minutes, so I have no idea why it matters if there is data on it or not.

I can now understand why most if not all repair shops refuse to do this type of repair and even if I could have ordered the parts myself, I'm sure I would have botched the job and had a couple of nice boat anchors. I know the Panasonic parts dept. wanted over $400.00 for one DVD drive assembly, making the flat rate repair very valuable...

There are very specific disassembly/reassembly procedures required when replacing the laser assembly (optical pick-up). The 3331A is common to other 2006 model year DVD Drives. The photos are top and bottom views of a 3331A laser assembly from an unidentified 2006 model year DVD Drive (most likely from an entry-level DMR-ES15 DVD recorder).

I've recently speculated concerning some service aspects when hard drives are nearly full. See this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post18999416
LL
LL

post #16 of 16 Old 08-26-2010, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

I received the other recorder I had to leave in Elgin last Thursday on Tuesday the 24th. The unit works like brand new and all of my programs were left intact. It also required the optical pickup RAF3331A. The unit was supposed to be shipped Friday afternoon and when I did not receive a tracking number as promised, I called and spoke with Lisa again Monday morning and she gladly provided it. She said they had a computer glitch on Friday and the unit didn't go out until Monday. It must have been shipped overnight as the UPS driver had it here by 2 PM on Tuesday. I have noticed a reference to being charged sales tax on another thread and wanted to mention I didn't pay any sales tax on both of the units I had repaired. The Elgin location is a fantastic place to do business with as they know what they are doing and are really efficient. I am sure at some point the parts supply for these units will dry up, but hopefully not for a long time.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page