Help with 16:9 Widescreen Recording - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 99 Old 07-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Here is a link to another HDMI > component converter:www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-rgb.html I hope this link works,some times they don't. This converter costs $149.95 and supposedly there are only a few left. I don't know why,but my gut feeling is to stay away from it...maybe cuz iv'e read that some of these converters have a "left shift" problem that the HD FURY 3 has overcome. But if anybody's interested in a cheaper converter,there it is. It is supposed to be HDMI 1.3c compliant and HDCP 1.2 compliant. G.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 99 Old 08-03-2010, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I used to fret over this. When I bought my first DVD recorder the panasonic EH-85 most of what I recorded was digitial cable movie channels in 4:3. Then HD hit my cable system and I started recording from HBO HD, Max HD, etc, and my favorite HDNet. Those were recorderd as widescreen, but compressed in a 4:3 image, which didn't matter as at the time I had a 36" sony HDTV that was 4:3. I fretted how to get them to record in full wide screen mode.

I tried every setting known on my SA 8300HD cable box. I have it hooked to my second panny recorder the EZ-27K via s-video. I record to the DVR then dump to DVD via the 'record to VCR' function in the 8300HD. Movies come out 16:9, but compressed in 4:3 image so now on my new widescreen they are bars, top an bottom. (I haven't really tried all the possible settings on my cable box since I sent to a 16:9 TV). I gave up sweating over it. My LG 47LH90 tv has a variable zoom function that will zoom to the embedded 16:9 in 4:3 to full screen. Pictures still look very good so I gave up worrying about it. My other playback device the Oppo-BDP83 also zooms to fill in perfect widescreen so I quit fretting it.

Should I try something different or leave well enough alone?
post #33 of 99 Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
You have exhausted your options with the SA box. Your only option is to get a different box from your cable company, one that WILL give you content without the letterbox black bars (anamorphic 4:3). It is at least possible that they do have such a box. It's also probable that the person at the front desk won't know what you are talking about, so you'll have to speak to someone on the technical staff.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #34 of 99 Old 08-03-2010, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

You have exhausted your options with the SA box. Your only option is to get a different box from your cable company, one that WILL give you content without the letterbox black bars (anamorphic 4:3). It is at least possible that they do have such a box. It's also probable that the person at the front desk won't know what you are talking about, so you'll have to speak to someone on the technical staff.

Thanks,

I'll probably do nothing. I don't do that much recording anymore. I dropped HBO, MAX, and TMC. Still have Starz HD and HD Net. I find about 3-5 movies a month to record in widescreen (compressed in a 4:3 frame). With the TV zoom or on the Oppo they look really nice, so I'll just leave well enough alone. I suspected that was the answer. If my cable company would add TCM HD, I'd be recording a lot more.

I'm finding with the advent of BD discs that many of the movies I would have recorded I can now get on DVD for a fraction of the cost they were when I bought a recorder. I saw a four pack of all the dirty harry movies on DVD for 5 bucks in the wallymart 5 buck bin. In the past I might have taken the time to record them all, but for 5 bucks, that was a no brainer.
post #35 of 99 Old 08-03-2010, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by glangford View Post

Thanks,

I'll probably do nothing. I don't do that much recording anymore. I dropped HBO, MAX, and TMC. Still have Starz HD and HD Net. I find about 3-5 movies a month to record in widescreen (compressed in a 4:3 frame). With the TV zoom or on the Oppo they look really nice, so I'll just leave well enough alone. I suspected that was the answer. If my cable company would add TCM HD, I'd be recording a lot more.

I'm finding with the advent of BD discs that many of the movies I would have recorded I can now get on DVD for a fraction of the cost they were when I bought a recorder. I saw a four pack of all the dirty harry movies on DVD for 5 bucks in the wallymart 5 buck bin. In the past I might have taken the time to record them all, but for 5 bucks, that was a no brainer.

I just let my TV do the zooming, same as you. The cheap component to S-video converters seem to work for some & not for others. And I don't record enough to invest in an expensive converter.
post #36 of 99 Old 08-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Thanks,

Had the same problem, in case you are interested, my solution was to dump cable TV and get D* (Direct TV, satellite). They output 16x9 through S video output.

Cheers.
post #37 of 99 Old 08-04-2010, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes! At least for the moment, you can get an excellent video feed of HD programming, downconverted to 480i out the S-Video ports on DirecTV receivers. Using XP quality, the DVDs I make look every bit as good as commercially pressed disks.

I record a lot of stuff, so getting rid of those black bars would be essential to me.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #38 of 99 Old 08-05-2010, 02:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralarcon View Post

Had the same problem, in case you are interested, my solution was to dump cable TV and get D* (Direct TV, satellite). They output 16x9 through S video output.

Cheers.

Do they let you dump out a movie on DVR from S video while you watch something else. My cable company does which is one of their nice features.
post #39 of 99 Old 08-05-2010, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Do they let you dump out a movie on DVR from S video while you watch something else. My cable company does which is one of their nice features.

Nope. You have to watch. What D* does have is Save to VCR mode which disables all on-screen prompts.
post #40 of 99 Old 08-05-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

Nope. You have to watch. What D* does have is Save to VCR mode which disables all on-screen prompts.

That may be the same thing. I select that and then the remote is froze. But then I can set the tv input back to HDMI 1 (the 8300HD Cable box) from the pannny HDMI 2 input and watch whatever I want.
post #41 of 99 Old 08-05-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. For the moment, all DirecTV receivers and DVRs have only a single set of decoder chips, so they only support a single playback stream. That stream is available from all output ports simultaneously. The good part is, for $5 a month, you can get a second receiver/DVR and using the two of them, you can have multiple output streams, and (in the case of DVRs) record four programs at once.

Luke

post #42 of 99 Old 08-08-2010, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the responses, guys; and to the people that have tried to help with other people's similar issues. I'm not sure if I clarified this in my original post, but the main/only reason I want to be able to record in 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen is to record Boxing from HBO and Showtime (and occasionally Boxing on FoxSports and ESPN, and UFC on Spike). I am able to record, in excellent quality, Boxing from HBO, Showtime, FoxSports and ESPN, but whenever I'm recording it from their HD-Source channel, my DVD recording always has black bars along the top and bottom (and sometimes it will have black bars all the way around the entire screen, but only on certain broadcasts, which are evidently displayed in 4:3 from an HD-Source * I think that's the reason, anyway).

I'm not exactly concerned with being able to find some particular setting that will allow me to adjust my TV so that it will display the image without the black bars - I'm specifically looking to be able to capture/record the full 16:9 Widescreen image that my Set-top Box DVR displays while set at .720p and .1080i. The picture is beautiful and it is awesome when the entire screen is actually displaying the HD-Source Boxing broadcast; and besides it being beautiful, it's nice to actually be able to view the entire screen of my TV while watching a fight, which is usually why one buys a TV of the size, I thought. Why the black bars ever appear, I don't understand.

I have downloaded lots of Boxing broadcast in the past (capped from HDHBO and HDShowtime), from people who have recorded and uppped their HD-Source DVD recordings, and their DVDs do not include the black bars when being played back, neither on my TV nor on my computer via VLC Player - and that is how I would like to be able to record. I want to be able to share my HD-Source DVD captures with my fellow Boxing fans and have my HD-Source DVDs play without the black bars along the top and bottom when they view them on their TVs - like how mine does when I'm watching someone else's HD-Source DVD capture that was recorded in 16:9 Widescreen format. Regardless of their TV (unless, for some reason, their TV forces them), I would like for my recorded HD-Source DVDs to cover their entire TV's screen when playing it on their DVD Player and viewing it on their TV set.

Will any of these converters that have been suggested anable me to do this? Specifically, with the Output of my DVR set at .720p and/or .1080i, will any of these converters allow me to convert the Output of my DVR down to .480i *WHILE* keeping the image at 16:9 Widescreen?

Being that my DVR only sends a 16:9 signal while set at .720p or .1080i, and Component Video Inputs on a DVD Recorder will only recognize and accept a signal at .480i, my only option appears to be the hope of finding a converter that will accept the .720p/.1080i Input from my DVR and then Downconvert it to .480i and keep the 16:9 signal after converting it.

Does anyone know if the HDFury3 HDMI 1.3 to component converter listed on the last page (that costs around $299) will make this conversion for me, so that I will be able to get a 16:9 Widescreen image to my DVD Recorder at .480i? Or, does anyone know of a converter/device that will do this?

Any replies will definitely be appreciated. And thanks again for taking the time to respond, y'all.

- AzAssassin, a.k.a. BillyjackAz

P.S. As of right now, I am locked in to my FiOS service for the next 2 years, so I'm not able to drop FiOS and just switch over to Direct TV or Dish Network, because, realistically, I can't afford to have both services every month. But, I was wondering if anyone knows if it might be possible to just subscribe to pay channels (HBO and Showtime) with Direct TV or Dish Network for a reduced price? Is this even possible at all? Because if I could get a package from either of the satellite services for around $25 per month, I might be willing to do that. If anyone has any info. about this question, please let me know. Thanks!
post #43 of 99 Old 08-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Advanced Member

AZ Assasin,to answer your question about the HD FURY3:it will transscribe HDMI video signals to component video. So then, you would go from the HD FURY3 output > component video input of your POLO dvdr,then s-video out from the POLO. > your dvdr. Simple! and you won't have to put up with black bars any more G.
post #44 of 99 Old 08-08-2010, 08:35 AM

I have and recommend the HDfury,check it out on monoprice.
post #45 of 99 Old 08-08-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

AZ Assasin,to answer your question about the HD FURY3:it will transscribe HDMI video signals to component video. So then, you would go from the HD FURY3 output > component video input of your POLO dvdr,then s-video out from the POLO. > your dvdr. Simple! and you won't have to put up with black bars any more G.

Thanks very much for the responses, Greaser and Kiwi32. I understand the suggested way of connecting my FiOS DVR into the Polaroid DVD Recorder, then into my Panasonic DVD recorder, but I just want to make sure that the HDFury3 will not only convert the HDMI Output from my Motorola Set-top BOX DVR into Component Video cables, but that it will ALSO convert the actualy video signal from .720p (16:9) down to .480i AND keep the signal at 16:9. Do you know for certain this will be the case?

Also, I know that my FiOS Motorola DVR does have an HDMI Output port on it, but I do not know if it will send out a 16:9 signal like it does out of the Component Video Output. I realize it should, and likely will (being that it is the HDMI/High Definition Output), but being that I have no experience nor knowledge of it on this particular Morotola DVR, I'd like to make absolutely sure it will actually send the 16:9 Widescreen signal I am looking for. Otherwise, there would be no need for me to even try to save up the $300 for the HDFury3 Converter.

So, can someone verify for me that my FiOS Motorola QIP6416-2 Set-top Box/DVR will send out a 16:9 signal via its HDMI Output?

Thanks again for the replies, y'all. I read them all, and I do appreciate them!!

- AzAssassin, a.k.a. BillyJackAz
post #46 of 99 Old 08-08-2010, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzAssassin View Post

Thanks very much for the responses, Greaser and Kiwi32. I understand the suggested way of connecting my FiOS DVR into the Polaroid DVD Recorder, then into my Panasonic DVD recorder, but I just want to make sure that the HDFury3 will not only convert the HDMI Output from my Motorola Set-top BOX DVR into Component Video cables, but that it will ALSO convert the actualy video signal from .720p (16:9) down to .480i AND keep the signal at 16:9. Do you know for certain this will be the case?

Also, I know that my FiOS Motorola DVR does have an HDMI Output port on it, but I do not know if it will send out a 16:9 signal like it does out of the Component Video Output. I realize it should, and likely will (being that it is the HDMI/High Definition Output), but being that I have no experience nor knowledge of it on this particular Morotola DVR, I'd like to make absolutely sure it will actually send the 16:9 Widescreen signal I am looking for. Otherwise, there would be no need for me to even try to save up the $300 for the HDFury3 Converter.

So, can someone verify for me that my FiOS Motorola QIP6416-2 Set-top Box/DVR will send out a 16:9 signal via its HDMI Output?

Thanks again for the replies, y'all. I read them all, and I do appreciate them!!

AzAssassin, if you already have a component video output on your Fios Moto. dvr, then all you have to do is run your component cables from your MOTO. box to your POLO. dvdr,then s-video from the POLO to the recording dvdr. The POLO. should then down rez. the HD signal to 480i and at the same time preserve the OAR. ie: 16x9 WS in = 16x9 WS out to your PANNY. dvdr. Problem solved. NO MORE LETTERBOXING, NO MORE BLACK BARS. YEA!!! G.
post #47 of 99 Old 08-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi32 View Post

I have and recommend the HDfury,check it out on monoprice.

Currently,the HDFURY3 listed at monoprice is not in stock. Who knows how long it will be before they actually carry it. But if they eventually do,then the price listed would be a real bargain. If i remember correctly, CURT PALME is the exclusive distributer,at least for now. Also,if the Az Assassin has component video outputs on his MOTO. stb then all he needs is a (RGB) component video cable to run from the MOTO. > the POLO. then s-video to his PANNY,thus saving around $300.00, but either way he'll have his problem licked. I wish i could say the same for my own conversion problem G.
post #48 of 99 Old 08-08-2010, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, guys. In theory, that sounds nice and easy, but in reality, there is a major problem, because the Component Video Inputs on the Polaroid DRM-2001G will NOT recognize the Input source UNLESS it is .480i, and my DVR only outputs a 16:9 signal when set at .720p or .1080i. So, I am able to use the Component Video outputs on my Motorola DVR, but not to obtain a 16:9 Widescreen image, because the resolution/setting for a 16:9 signal is too high for the Polaroid's Component Inputs to properly recognize/accept. if anyone can tell me differently, please do!!

post #49 of 99 Old 08-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey, guys. In theory, that sounds nice and easy, but in reality, there is a major problem, because the Component Video Inputs on the Polaroid DRM-2001G will NOT recognize the Input source UNLESS it is .480i, and my DVR only outputs a 16:9 signal when set at .720p or .1080i. So, I am able to use the Component Video outputs on my Motorola DVR, but not to obtain a 16:9 Widescreen image, because the resolution/setting for a 16:9 signal is too high for the Polaroid's Component Inputs to properly recognize/accept. if anyone can tell me differently, please do!!

Well AzAssassin, your only hope is the HDFURY3 > component video to s-video converter. If you want a converter you might try waiting until ShinybowUSA releases their new converter which should be (according to their website) on 9/21/10. Here's a link (i hope it works) It's www.shinybowusa.com It was supposed to have been released on 6/30/10 but.......whatever you do, don't by the Lenkeng converter. To many people report problems with this particular product,including me. From what iv'e read Shinybow is a top rated manufacturer of high quality electronic components. There is no price listed yet for this converter. Shinybow gives a 3YR PARTS & labor warranty on ALL of their products which is almost unheard of from any electronics manufacturer. G.
post #50 of 99 Old 08-08-2010, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I want to be able to share my HD-Source DVD captures with my fellow Boxing fans and have my HD-Source DVDs play without the black bars along the top and bottom when they view them on their TVs - like how mine does when I'm watching someone else's HD-Source DVD capture that was recorded in 16:9 Widescreen format. Regardless of their TV (unless, for some reason, their TV forces them), I would like for my recorded HD-Source DVDs to cover their entire TV's screen when playing it on their DVD Player and viewing it on their TV set.

Again, you need a component>S-Video converter. You don't need that expensive HDMI>component converter. Nextoo says that your Polo won't down-convert HD component, so you need a converter that will.

I bought my Lenkeng component>S-Video converter directly from the manufacturer, in China. Mine works fine. They have worked fine for at least one or two other people on this board. But, they have not worked AT ALL for several people on this board. So, if you want to buy one, it should be from a supplier in the US, one that will refund your money if the one you get doesn't work. The only other alternative I know of, that I think is currently available, is made by Apple and cost, IIRC, about $150. I don't really know anything about it, except what I read in this forum. You could try a search in this forum for 'apple converter,' and you might locate the info on it.

Bottom line, you need a converter to get that anamorphic signal. It will let you record as you wish, HD signals, with no black bars. Of course, the picture will be in SD, but you won't have to zoom it to fill the screen. You might have to select "Wide" on your TV, so that it doesn't display the 16x9 signal squished to 4x3.
post #51 of 99 Old 08-08-2010, 08:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Just so there is no later confusion or frustration for the OP, suppose that he can actually get a 16x9 image, from whatever device he purchases. Can he then record that 16x9 image properly flagged on either of the two Panny's he mentioned in the first post? I know for a fact that my EH75V will NOT record the full 16x9 image, but will "pillarbox", cutting off the left and right side of the widecreen image, leaving only the center 4x3 image. Besides the newer international Panny models mentioned by Church AV Guy that have the specific 16x9 mode in the options (Auto/Force/Off or whatever the settings are), are there any other models that are confirmed to accept a 16x9 signal and record it properly and flagged?

(As an aside, I should note that my EH75V is strange. Once in a blue moon, if I have the unit on and then turn on my STB, when I am viewing the EH75V output on the TV, it will be a proper 16x9 anamorphic picture. I can then record whatever I see. But the second I press the Direct Navigator button to go the recorded titles, it pillarboxes the image, and the recording I just made is also pillarboxed. I have no idea how this happens and I cannot always replicate it. But that's beside the point.)

Based on the OP's quote below, I don't think he wants to mess with the TV image settings (which most of us have to do to view 16x9 material from a DVDR). I think that he believes once he feeds either of those 2 Panny's a 16x9image that they will record it properly and set the flag, giving him a proper DVD to play in any player. Can anyone confirm that is the case?

Quote:

I'm not exactly concerned with being able to find some particular setting that will allow me to adjust my TV so that it will display the image without the black bars - I'm specifically looking to be able to capture/record the full 16:9 Widescreen image that my Set-top Box DVR displays while set at .720p and .1080i.

post #52 of 99 Old 08-09-2010, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Well i don't know about his panny's, but my Phil./Mag. dvdr's and even my shleppy LG DR787T dvdr will accept and record a true 16x9 image (even tho the owners manual says that it won't) thru their composite/s-video inputs if fed a 16x9 image,but the only way to get the image in,is with a component video to s-video converter.Now,if i could just lay my hands on a REAL converter and not just a cheap chinese knock off of the real thing,THAT would be great! I'm currently waiting for the SHINYBOW model set for release on 9/21/10. Don't know the price yet,but if it's not to high then i'll buy it. They even offer a 3 YR. PARTS & LABOR WARRANTY. What does Lenkeng offer? NOTHING. No warranty expressed or implied. I couldn't even get my money back when i found what a piece of CRAP i'd bought. Sorry 'bout my rant,i just can't seem to get over my anger. I apologize. I don't know why a Panny wouldn't accept a WS image,or maybe they do. As i said before,the owners manuals for my other dvdr''s say it's not possible...but they do. G.
post #53 of 99 Old 08-09-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:

I don't know why a Panny wouldn't accept a WS image,or maybe they do. As i said before,the owners manuals for my other dvdr''s say it's not possible...but they do. G.

They do, at least the dozen or so that I have. If you feed them 16:9 they will record it but they won't set the WS bit(like basically every other DVDR). What this means is if you play WS DVDs (you've recorded) on a 16:9 TV you'll need to enable the stretch mode, either on your DVD player or TV. If you play those DVDs on a 4:3 TV you're SOL, everyone will look tall and skinny, IOW the whole 16:9 image will be inside a 4:3 frame.
If you have a Panasonic w/digital tuner(EZ model) and record a 16:9 program(with the setup set that you have a 4:3 TV) you'll only get a cropped recording that cannot ever be restored to full screen 16:9. Because of this I personally recommend you set your EZ to 16:9 output even if you have a 4:3 TV(if you ever plan on getting a 16:9 TV).
post #54 of 99 Old 08-09-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

They do, at least the dozen or so that I have. If you feed them 16:9 they will record it but they won't set the WS bit(like basically every other DVDR). What this means is if you play WS DVDs (you've recorded) on a 16:9 TV you'll need to enable the stretch mode, either on your DVD player or TV. If you play those DVDs on a 4:3 TV you're SOL, everyone will look tall and skinny, IOW the whole 16:9 image will be inside a 4:3 frame.

What model (and year) do you have? As I said, my 2006 EH75V will NOT do this. Also, this is part of the problem I was referring to re: the OP. he doesn't seem to want to enable a stretch mode on the TV, which means he may never get a full 16x9 anamorphic image from a DVDR.

What happens if you feed your models a 16x9 image squished into a 4x3 frame, but have the TV setup as 16x9, does is automatically stretch it back out?
post #55 of 99 Old 08-09-2010, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well i don't know about his panny's, but my Phil./Mag. dvdr's and even my shleppy LG DR787T dvdr will accept and record a true 16x9 image (even tho the owners manual says that it won't) thru their composite/s-video inputs if fed a 16x9 image...

This may be arguing semantics, BUT, you are mistaken if you think you are recording a TRUE 16:9 image. What you are recording is an anamorphically compressed 19:9 image that has been down converted to a 480i video stream. The only format any DVD recorder will accept, at least so far, is 480i (which is a 3:4 format). When you compress 16:9 format to 480i, the recorder will record it like any other 480i signal, and you have your recording, just like you said. Any DVD recorder will accept and record such a signal. A TRUE 16:9 video stream is in a format that past and current North American DVD recorders cannot accept or record. Maybe someday (hoping!).

Quote:

Correct. You are recording a compressed and down converted video stream. When it is stretched back, the aspect ratio is correct. This would need to be letterboxed on a 4:3 ttelevision to preserve the aspect ratio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i86time View Post

What model (and year) do you have? As I said, my 2006 will NOT do this. Also, this is part of the problem I was referring to re: the OP. he doesn't seem to want to enable a stretch mode on the TV, which means he may never get a full 16x9 anamorphic image from a DVDR.

What happens if you feed your models a 16x9 image squished into a 4x3 frame, but have the TV setup as 16x9, does is automatically stretch it back out?

If your EH75V does not do this, then you have something in the EH75 or your television set incorrectly, because both of mine do this perfectly. Like jjeff said, they don't set the W/S flag properly, but they make the 16:9 full screen recording and playback properly. I have owned ten Panasonic DVD recorders, and all of them do this.

Luke

post #56 of 99 Old 08-09-2010, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by i86time View Post

What model (and year) do you have? As I said, my 2006 EH75V will NOT do this. Also, this is part of the problem I was referring to re: the OP. he doesn't seem to want to enable a stretch mode on the TV, which means he may never get a full 16x9 anamorphic image from a DVDR.

I don't have a EH-75v but I do have it's VHS-less mate, the EH-55. I never play DVDs on my Panasonics but rather one of my Sony DVD players which I have set to stretch 4:3 to 16:9. This works perfect for my DVDs since they are in a 4:3 frame but horizontally squeezed. I leave my 16:9 TV set to full, the same as for commercial 16:9 DVDs. My players do not stretch 16:9 flagged DVDs(which also works out well since I wouldn't want those stretched).
Do you possibly have your EH-75v setup for a 4:3 TV? Otherwise it sounds like something is not working correctly with your EH-75v.
BR format is a true 16:9 format but all standard DVDs only allow a 4:3 frame which may contain a squished 16:9 format. It's up to your player to stretch it back out when it senses the flag(or in my setup it stretches all 4:3 format to fill a 16:9 frame). I rarely watch 4:3 material but if I do people look slightly fat or vertically stretched, I don't really mind this. Most people on TV are so thin anyway
post #57 of 99 Old 08-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

[quote=Church AV Guy;19026239]This may be arguing semantics, BUT, you are mistaken if you think you are recording a TRUE 16:9 image. What you are recording is an anamorphically compressed 19:9 image that has been down converted to a 480i video stream. The only format any DVD recorder will accept, at least so far, is 480i (which is a 3:4 format). When you compress 16:9 format to 480i, the recorder will record it like any other 480i signal, and you have your recording, just like you said. Any DVD recorder will accept and record such a signal. A TRUE 16:9 video stream is in a format that past and current North American DVD recorders cannot accept or record. Maybe someday (hoping!).

Church AV Guy, maybe what i'm recording isn't a true 16x9 image, but if it's not it doesn't matter cuz what i see on my screen looks the same. If i switch inputs on my AVR to see thru my HDMI output from my SAT. stb. it looks exactly like what is being recorded on my dvdr's HDD. When the recording is done and finalized,what has been recorded looks exactly like what i saw thru HDMI and visa versa. So to me,what your saying i'm recording and what i see, is a distinction w/o a difference.So 16x9/19x9.....it's all the same. It APPEARS the same on my screen. For instance,i recorded the LIFE series a few mos.ago,it was broadcast in HD and i watched it thru my HDMI output from my sat.stb. in HD.I also recorded it to the HDD of my Maggy. After burning all 11 episodes to disc and finalizing,my recordings looked exactly the same as what i saw over the HDMI output,except downrezzed to 480i, i mean the dimensions of the pic. were the same,and that's all that counts. No fat short animals and objects,nor tall and skinny animals and objects. Everything is perfectly in proportion,everything is perceptionally the same to my eyes, and that's what counts. Of coarse to get these recordings it depends on having a component video to s-video converter. W/O one all i could ever get would be a letterboxed recording. G.
post #58 of 99 Old 08-10-2010, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Church AV Guy, maybe what i'm recording isn't a true 16x9 image, but if it's not it doesn't matter cuz what i see on my screen looks the same. If i switch inputs on my AVR to see thru my HDMI output from my SAT. stb. it looks exactly like what is being recorded on my dvdr's HDD. When the recording is done and finalized,what has been recorded looks exactly like what i saw thru HDMI and visa versa. So to me,what your saying i'm recording and what i see, is a distinction w/o a difference.So 16x9/19x9.....it's all the same. It APPEARS the same on my screen. For instance,i recorded the LIFE series a few mos.ago,it was broadcast in HD and i watched it thru my HDMI output from my sat.stb. in HD.I also recorded it to the HDD of my Maggy. After burning all 11 episodes to disc and finalizing,my recordings looked exactly the same as what i saw over the HDMI output,except downrezzed to 480i, i mean the dimensions of the pic. were the same,and that's all that counts. No fat short animals and objects,nor tall and skinny animals and objects. Everything is perfectly in proportion,everything is perceptionally the same to my eyes, and that's what counts. Of coarse to get these recordings it depends on having a component video to s-video converter. W/O one all i could ever get would be a letterboxed recording. G.

No, we are saying the same thing here, semanticly() separated! The image looks right because the horizontal compression and then decompression works like it should. As you point out, you are recording a 480i video stream, which isn't a true 16:9 image, but it contains the information (downrezzed) of the original (true) 16:9 image. As you point out, "...if it's not it doesn't matter cuz what i see on my screen looks the same." EXACTLY!

Um, sorry I brought it up, actually.

Luke

post #59 of 99 Old 08-10-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

If your EH75V does not do this, then you have something in the EH75 or your television set incorrectly, because both of mine do this perfectly. Like jjeff said, they don't set the W/S flag properly, but they make the 16:9 full screen recording and playback properly. I have owned ten Panasonic DVD recorders, and all of them do this.

Quote:

I don't have a EH-75v but I do have it's VHS-less mate, the EH-55.
...Do you possibly have your EH-75v setup for a 4:3 TV? Otherwise it sounds like something is not working correctly with your EH-75v.

You are both probably correct. I did a test last night and hooked up my STB output directly to my TV, and it turns out that the STB does not output a 16x9 image from S-Video, so that's why I was seeing a pillarboxed image via the EH75V. This has me scratching my head because I know I accomplished this somehow before in my messing with the unit. Anyway, the STB can still output a '16x9 shrunk to 4x3' image via one of the settings, which is what I use to record such programs, and just 'stretch' it via my TV setting - same difference.
post #60 of 99 Old 08-12-2010, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

OK, I have a couple of new questions, if anyone would like to try to help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

1.) Am I able to use a Tivo HD DVR with my Verizon FiOS service? Is Tivo service compatible with FiOS cable service? Could I connect my FiOS Motorola STB/DVR to a Tivo DVR and then use the Tivo DVR to record programs from my FiOS set-top cable box/DVR? If so, does anyone know if a Tivo DVR is likely to have a Component Video Input, and if it does, is it possible that it would accept and recognize a .720p or .1080i signal? Or, like my DVD Recorder, would it only accept a .480i Input signal?

I don't know anything about Tivo services, so I apologize if my questions seem foolish. I'm just wondering if it may be possible to use Tivo as a go-between from my FiOS DVR to my DVD Recorder, so that I will be able to have a way to record the 16:9 image from my FiOS DVR while set to .720p or .1080i. I'm guessing that if the Tivo box will accept and capture a .720p or .1080i signal via its Component Video Input, I could record the 16:9 video from my FiOS DVR to the Tivo box's hard drive, then, assuming it can send out a 16:9 signal at .480i (which it may not be able to), get the 16:9 video image to one of my DVD Recorders. Does anyone know if this is feasible?

I do not currently have a Tivo box, but I was looking around on the Tampa Craigslist and came across an ad for a "TiVo Premier Premiere HD" that mentioned the possiblity of using it with FiOS cable service, so I thought it may be worth looking in to.

If anyone would like to check out the Tivo box I'm referring to, here's the link: http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/ele/1887363557.html

And, 2.) Since someone mentioned that I may not actually have to have a Component Video Downconverter to convert the .720p/.1080i signal for the output on my DVR down to .480i, and that I actually might be able to just use a Component-to-S-Video Converter as a way to get a 16:9 signal from the Component Video Output on my FiOS DVR to my Polaroid DVD Recorder (and then, hopefully, through to my Panasonic DVD Recorder), I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a Component-to-S-Video Converter that I could check out? I'd like to try to get a good quality converter, but also one that I will realistically be able to afford, so under $100 or so would be nice.

I'm guessing this Component-to-S-Video Converter would like be a viable option for me, since, from what I understand, the S-Video Input on a DVD Recorder can actually accept a signal at .720p or .1080i, whereas the Component Video Input will only accept a .480i signal. Or am I wrong about this? Will the S-Video and/or Composite Inputs also only recognize a .480i signal?

I hope that wasn't overly thorough, and therefore confusing. I will stop writing now, in hopes of someone having a realistic chance at helping me out. And thanks again for all of the replies!

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page