Help with 16:9 Widescreen Recording - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 99 Old 07-17-2010, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the deal: I want to know if I can figure out a way to record in 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen format with my Panasonic DVD Recorder (model DMR-EA18 or DMR-EZ28) from my Verizon FiOS Motorola QIP6416-2 Cable Set-Top Box/HD DVR? I just got a Polaroid DMR-2001G DVD Recorder that has COMPONENT IN and OUT and I am hoping to be able to use it as a "pass-thru" device to get the 16:9 Widescreen signal from my Verizon Motorola HD DVR to my Panasonic DVD Recorder (which is what I want to use to capture/record the video).

OK, I have been trying to figure out how to (assuming it is possible) record in 16:9 Widescreen format from my new FiOS DVR for over a month now, and I still can not find a way to do so. I have spent hours reading posts after searching on Google for help/suggestions/information (on sites like videohelp.com and avsforum.com), and I have bought 2 additional DVD Recorders to try to help with the process (am Polaroid DRM-2001G and a Magnavox MRV640) to enable my Panasonic DVD recorder record from my Verizon FiOS HD channels without the black bars included, and I simply can not find a way to get it done.

So, I am asking if anyone has any information or advice that they could share with me to try to help me out with this matter. (i.e. Video Format-Output Settings, Wire Configurations, etc.)

I have always been able to record from HDHBO and HDShowtime with my Panasonic DVD recorders, but my recordings always have the black bars along the top and bottom of the picture when recording from an HD-Source channel, and I would really like to be able to record in actual 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen, without the black bars, and where the entire screen is displaying the video image (like BadSpectator and Corvette69s have often captured and uploaded, and are absolutely spectacular).

I have learned a few things so far that are evidently going to be specifically vital to allowing this process to work, so I will list them now, so that anyone looking to help me with this will hopefully be able to do so as easily as possible:

1.) My Verizon Motorola Set-Top Box/DVR will only send a 16:9 signal from the COMPONENT Outputs (Red, Blue and Green ports) - and NOT from the Composite (Yellow port) nor S-Video outputs.

2.) My Panasonic DVD recorders do NOT have COMPONENT INputs (so it will not be possible to record in 16:9 Widescreen format with just my Panasonic DVD Recorder connected DIRECTLY to my Verizon Motorola Set-Top Box/DVR)

3.) Both of the new (actually used) DVD Recorders that I recently bought (the Polaroid DRM-2001G and Magnavox MRV640) DO have COMPONENT INputs (but, I don't think the recording quality with either of these will be as nice as with my Panasonic DVD Recorder, so I am trying to to find a way to get the 16:9 Widescreen signal from my Set-Top Box/DVR to my Panasonic DVD Recorder (through its Composite or S-Video INputs) and be able to record the video with my Panasonic DVD Recorder.

Here is the specific equipment I am working with:

Verizon FiOS Cable Box-DVR: Motorola QIP6416-2

DVD Recorder: Panasonic DMR-EA18 DVD Recorder (hoping to record 16:9 with)

DVD Recorder: Panasonic DMR-EZ28 (hoping to record 16:9 with)

DVD Recorder: Polaroid DRM-2001G (WITH COMPONENTS INputs - hoping to use as a Filter/Pass-Thru to Panasonic)

DVD Recorder: Magnavox MRV640 (WITH COMPONENTS INputs - hoping to use as a Filter/Pass-Thru to Panasonic)

I need to note: I DO have a Remote that works for the Magnavox MRV640, but I do NOT have a Remote for the Polaroid DMR-2001G, and I think that may be an issue, as I am not able to access the Menu Screen, and therefore unable to access any potential settings it may/likely does have.

Also I have been able to get some good news. I was able to get a 16:9 Widescreen signal from my Motorola STB/DVR - through the Polaroid DRM-2001G (as a "pass-thru" via its COMPONENT INputs and out thru its COMPONENT OUTputs, but it only works when the Polaroid is turned OFF) - to my TV and have it display in Anamorphic Widescreen format, without the black bars. BUT, when I try to send the signal to (and through) my Panasonic DVD recorder (IN through the Composite INput, then OUT to the TV through the DVD Recorder's COMPONENT OUTputs), the video signal will not go through my Panasonic DVD Recorder and through to my TV. The sound goes through, but the Video signal will not transfer from my STB/DVR to/through my Polaroid DRM-2001G and then to/through my Panasonic DMR-EA18 on to my TV set.

Basically, does anyone know a way to get the 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen signal from my Motorola Set Top Box/DVR to my Panasonic DVD Recorder by using a DVD Recorder with COMPONENT INputs (in my case, the Polaroid DRM-2001G DVD Recorder) as a pass-thru filter/converter?

I am sure that the Video Output setting on my Verizon Motorola Set-Top Box/DVR needs to bet set properly, in order for the Panasonic DVD Recorder to properly see/process/transfer the 16:9 Widescreen signal through to the TV (after being passed through the COMPONENT INputs of the Polaroid DVD Recorder and Out through its Composite or S-Video OUTput), but what setting does it need to be for that?

i.e. the Verizon FiOS Motorola Set-Top Box/HD DVR Video settings that are available are: .480i (4:3), .480p (4:3), .720p (16:9), .1080i (16:9)

And both of my Panasonic DVD Recorders also have Video settings (I think), so I'm also in need of figuring out what these settings need to be at.

I specifically recall reading a post from someone who stated that the Polaroid DMR-2001G will pass through even a .1080i signal. Now, I don't know that my Panasonic DVD Recorder can accept/recognize a .1080i signal in any of its Inputs and filter/process it properly, but what about a .720p signal? I'm sure it can do a .480i signal, but the problem there, is that my Motorola STB/DVR shows that it outputs .480i and .480p in 4:3 format, therefore (to my knowledge) it will automatically be "Letterboxed" and include the black bars, right?

And I can't recall exactly how the person's setup was connected, but being that he was specifically using the Polaroid DMR-2001G as a pass-through device for a 16:9 Widescreen signal, I've got to assume that he was passing through the signal out of the Polaroid's Composite or S-Video outputs. Otherwise, he wouldn't have needed the Piolaroid in the first place.

So, how exactly do I need to connect the Inputs and Outputs from my Polaroid DMR-2001G DVD Recorder to transfer the proper 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen signal to my Panasonic DVD Recorder (the DMR-EA18 or DMR-EZ28)? I am almost certain it is possible, as I recall that Corvette69s used a Panasonic DVD Recorder to capture his 16:9 Widescreen HD-Source DVDs - UNLESS he specifically used some sort of authoring software after recording it, which someone mentioned he did know how to do, but I'm not sure he did that on his HD-Source Boxing caps.

OK! Sorry for writing so much. I was trying to be thorough, but I probably overdid it. If there are is any other information that I need to provide, or any questions that need to be answered to help figure this out, please let me know. I am really anxious to try to get this matter resolved, if at all possible.

If it turns out that I am not going to be able to record in 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen format with my Panasonic DVD Recorders, what would be a suitable alterative DVD Recorder? I think the quality with my Panasonics has been fantastic, so I would like to try to get something comparable, both in quality and in porice (especially being that I have about $35 in the world right now); under $200 or so, preferrably.

By the way, I realize that some Satelite Receiver/DVRs can apparently also output a 16:9 signal through their Composite outputs (and not only via the COMPONENT OUTput), and that most/if not all Cable Box/DVRs will NOT send a 16:9 Widescreen signal out of anything other the COMPOSITE Video Ouputs, but I am stuck with my Verizon FiOS Cable Set-Top Box/DVR for the next year or two (can't recall which) and I can't afford to also get satelite service, so that is why I am trying to passionately to find a way to figure this out.

Also, I have read about a DVD-RAM exception for Panasonic DVD Recorders being able to record in 16:9 format when - and only when - using a DVD-RAM disc, but I still have a problem, as my Cable Box/DVR apparently only outputs a 16:9 signal via its Component Output, but the Panasonic DVD Recorder does NOT have a Component Input (only Composite and S-Video), so I do not have the capability of getting a 16:9 signal in to my Panasonic DMR-EA18 directly from my STB/DVR.

I do actually have one single DVD-RAM disc (it's actually sitting in front of my on my desk as I'm typing this - I only have it because it came with one of the Panasonics I bought a few years ago), and that may actually enable me to record an incoming 16:9 signal in Anamorphic Widescreen format, but the problem is that I can not get my DVR to send out the 16:9 Widescreen signal through any other output than the Component Video Out, which is a problem, because the Panasonic DMR-EA18 does not have the capability of accepting Component Inputs.

With this stated, this is why I had hopes of the Polaroid DMR-2001G actually working as a go-between from my Motorola Set-top Box HD DVR to my Panasonic DVD Recorder, as it has Component Inputs, and then would/might be able to transfer the 16:9 signal out of its Composite (Yellow port) Video Out, which could then be accepted by the Panasonic, since it does have Composite (Yellow port) Video Inputs. Basically, the Polaroid DMR-2001G would be acting as a signal transfer device or a Component-to-Composite Video cable converter that would anable a 16:9 Widescreen signal to be sent to the Composite Inputs of the Panasonic DVD Recorder.

In theory, this should likely work - but, I am having a problem getting the 16:9 signal to transfer through the Polaroid in to the Panasonic. I think may be due to the resolution at .720p and .1080i being too much for the Composite Inputs on the Panasonic DVD Recorder to handle. And therein lies another problem, because the format listed when the Video Output setting on my DVR is set to .480i, is 4:3 and NOT 16:9, which is what I am wanting to capture.

So, this is really difficult for me to try to resolve; and maybe, with my equipment, it isn't even possible. But, I am not through trying yet! So, someone, anyone, please feel free to respond!! I would sincerely appreciate it.

Thanks very much in advance to anyone that tries to help me!!!!

- AzAssassin, a.k.a. BillyJackAz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 99 Old 07-17-2010, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

I also need to clarify that, apparently, my Verizon FiOS Set-top Box (which is a Motorola QIP6416-2) will NOT output a 16:9 signal at a .480i setting (it only offers it in 4:3), which, from what I've read, is the only setting that will be recognized/processed by Components Inputs on a DVD Recorder.

Does anyone know if this is definitely accurate? Can Component Video Inputs on a DVD Recorder only properly receive a .480i signal? Will it not be seen (or properly processed) if the incoming signal is .720p or .1080i?

Just to elaborate, here are the 'Video Settings' on my Motorola QIP6416-2 HD DVR:

.480i (4:3) - .480p (4:3) - .720p (16:9) - .1080i (16:9)

Since my video source (my Motorola HD DVR) only displays a 16:9 signal at .720p and .1080i, does this mean that I am doomed to be stuck with only Letterbox captures when recording from an HD-Source channel (like Boxing from HDHBO)?

From what I've gathered, by reading some posts on here, other people using a Motorola DVR like mine have had this same problem (the inability to record in 16:9 Widescreen format), because of the box only being capable of sending a 4:3 signal at .480i resolution, and their DVD recorder with Component Inputs only being able to receive a Component Input signal of .480i.

If my Motorola STB/HD DVR was able to send a 16:9 signal at .480i, I'm surmising that I would be able to receive and then transfer the Widescreen signal from it with the Component Video Inputs on my Polaroid DRM-2001G DVD Recorder and then send it (still in Widescreen 16:9 format) to my Panasonic DMR-EA18 DVD Recorder via an S-Video cable or the Composite Video Input.

With this noted, are there any other options for me to even try?

Sorry for writing so much. Thanks in advance!

post #3 of 99 Old 07-18-2010, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
A DVD recorder records the signal it is given. It can't tell a squeezed anamorphic signal from a LB or 4x3 one. You have correctly surmised that the problem is getting a 16x9 squeezed signal to your DVDR. I don't have FIOS. I have Comcast, with a Motorola HD DVR, and I make anamorphic SD recordings all the time.

You will only be able to get an anamorphic from a HD channel, outputting in 1080i, or 720p. You will need to use the component output, but convert that output to SD S-Video. There are separate converters on the market. The one I have works fine for me, and I think one other person. Others, who bought them later, report that they don't work at all. This is Lenkeng brand, so I guess you should stay away from them. But, you really already have a converter, in your Polaroid DVDR with component inputs. Many people use it simply as a converter, to feed a better DVDR, and don't use them for recording.

I don't have the Polaroid, so hopefully someone who is familiar with them will chime in, but if your unit is functioning properly, I believe that your hookup should be component cables from your Moto DVR to the Polaroid, then S-Video from the Polaroid to your Panny DVDR. You can run R/L line audio direct from the Moto to the Panny. I think the Polaroid has to be on to convert. You will have to make sure that you have selected the component input in the Polaroid's switching/menu, and select the correct S-Vid input on your Panny DVDR.

Then, when you have tuned a HD channel with a WS picture, you should get a squeezed anamorphic picture on the Panny. Note that when recording 4x3 pictures from a HD channel, you will have to manually select 'wide picture mode' on your TV to see it in normal 4x3. This means that you will lose resolution by recording 4x3 pictures in 16x9. To see a real anamorphic picture, from a HD channel showing a WS film, you will also probably have to manually select 'wide picture mode' on your TV, because the anamorphic DVDs you make won't have the flag set to tell your TV to go wide.
post #4 of 99 Old 07-18-2010, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzAssassin View Post

I also need to clarify that, apparently, my Verizon FiOS Set-top Box (which is a Motorola QIP6416-2) will NOT output a 16:9 signal at a .480i setting (it only offers it in 4:3), which, from what I've read, is the only setting that will be recognized/processed by Components Inputs on a DVD Recorder.

Does anyone know if this is definitely accurate? Can Component Video Inputs on a DVD Recorder only properly receive a .480i signal? Will it not be seen (or properly processed) if the incoming signal is .720p or .1080i?

Just to elaborate, here are the 'Video Settings' on my Motorola QIP6416-2 HD DVR:

.480i (4:3) - .480p (4:3) - .720p (16:9) - .1080i (16:9)

Since my video source (my Motorola HD DVR) only displays a 16:9 signal at .720p and .1080i, does this mean that I am doomed to be stuck with only Letterbox captures when recording from an HD-Source channel (like Boxing from HDHBO)?

From what I've gathered, by reading some posts on here, other people using a Motorola DVR like mine have had this same problem (the inability to record in 16:9 Widescreen format), because of the box only being capable of sending a 4:3 signal at .480i resolution, and their DVD recorder with Component Inputs only being able to receive a Component Input signal of .480i.

If my Motorola STB/HD DVR was able to send a 16:9 signal at .480i, I'm surmising that I would be able to receive and then transfer the Widescreen signal from it with the Component Video Inputs on my Polaroid DRM-2001G DVD Recorder and then send it (still in Widescreen 16:9 format) to my Panasonic DMR-EA18 DVD Recorder via an S-Video cable or the Composite Video Input.

With this noted, are there any other options for me to even try?

Sorry for writing so much. Thanks in advance!

Your source STB, in this case the Fios box must be able to send a 480i signal via component as a full widescreen image for anything in your set up to work properly. If it does not then everything (or anything for that matter) along the chain makes no difference.

If your source cannot send a 480i signal via component as full widescreen then your only option is to find a device that can accept a 720p or 1080i signal and then down convert it to 480i. These devices have become more reasonable over time. Four or five years ago the cheapest ran close to $400. I don't believe that is the case anymore.

The key is the source. In your case the Fios box. Once you understand its capabilities the equipment required to do what you would like to accomplish becomes easy.

In my case my Dish STB works fine for recording widescreen content via svideo. Which made things easy when I chose to record widescreen in standard definition.

Every cableco or satco approaches this differently. It is pretty much their call as to how they set up their boxes.
post #5 of 99 Old 07-18-2010, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nextoo View Post

via component as full widescreen then your only option is to find a device that can accept a 720p or 1080i signal and then down convert it to 480i. These devices have become more reasonable over time. Four or five years ago the cheapest ran close to $400. I don't believe that is the case anymore.

His Polaroid DVDR will down-convert component HD to S-Video SD. He can use it for the converter. Is this not true? I have read here repeatedly that people do that.
post #6 of 99 Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

The Polaroid will not down convert an HD signal. The source STB has to be set to 480i and the source STB has to be able to send widescreen over component at 480i. Some STBs when set to 480i will letterbox even the component outs.

The Polaroid (except the B series) was able to pass through an HD signal when powered off. This was handy. But when powered on it could only accept a 480i signal. Thus using it to convert a 480i widescreen image via component and using its svideo outs to another recorder was something many did.
post #7 of 99 Old 07-19-2010, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
The easiest way to see what's going on is to hook your STBs component outputs directly to your TV. As Nextoo said if you can't get your TV to show 480i(and be in widescreen) the Polo won't work for you. You'll need one of the component to S-video converters that also downconvert from anything above 480i.
post #8 of 99 Old 07-22-2010, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

OK, at least I have some responses to my posts, and my questions, and now I can hopefully start working towards making progress towards reaching my goal of being able to record a 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen image with my Panasonic DVD Recorder.

I need to state right away that apparently my FiOS Cable Box (which is the Motorola QIP6416-2) does NOT display a 16:9 signal at .480i (nor at .480p, for that matter).

However, my FiOS set-top box DOES send a 16:9 signal at .720p and at .1080i, but from what I'm understanding, the Polaroid DRM-2001G will only accept a .480i signal through its Component Video Inputs.

So, being that my set-top box will only send a 4:3 signal while set at .480i, does this mean that I am unable to actually record in 16:9 Widescreen format with my current setup? From what I gather, it does mean exactly that. Because, evidently, the source needs to be able to display 16:9 at .480i in order for any recorder to be able to record the signal.

Since this does seem to limit my options (my STB not displaying 16:9 at .480i), what are my options? Do I absolutely have to get some sort of Converter that will convert my FiOS set-top box's output signal from .720p/.1080i to .480i, so that the Component Video Inputs on the Polaroid DRM-2001G will accept it? Is there any other option?

Is there a DVD recorder with Component Video Inputs that WILL actually accept a .720p or .1080i signal?

Also, to answer the question about what the display is like when hooking up my FiOS set-top box directly to my TV: I did connect the Component Video Output from my FiOS DVR to my Magnavox LCD TV, and it does display at 4:3 while set at .480i (Letterboxed, with the black bars on the top and bottom); and when I changed it to .720p, as well as at .1080i, it did display in 16:9 Widescreen (with NO black bars and the entire TV screen covered with the video image), exactly how I want to be able to record.

Here are the 4 options for the FiOS DVR Video Settings> Video Format:

.480i 4:3
.480p 4:3
.720p 16:9
.1080i 16:9

Since it seems that I am definitely going to have to buy a converter to be able to record in Widescreen format with my FiOS only sending a 16:9 signal at .720p and .1080i, does anyone know of any Converters that they could suggest? And where I can buy one at? eBay? Or some specific online source? Also, how much should I expect to have to spend on a converter that will work for my setup? Under $100? Under $200? Under $50? I would really like to try to get one soon, but I am likely not even in a position to spend $50 right now. I will probably be able to after I get my next paycheck, but I would really like to try to get one for as cheaply as possible, but still a good quality converter. And I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some particular makes and models of Converters to check out, or at least some suggestions about what exactly [i] need to be looking for.

I am sorry for writing so much. I will try to be more concise from now on.

Thanks again for the replies, y'all. Please know they are very much appreciated!!

post #9 of 99 Old 07-22-2010, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter

Would this converter on eBay work for me?

http://cgi.ebay.com/HD-Component-Vid...item1e5c1e52f8

Some of the Item Description:

HD Component Video /YPbPr To Composite S-Video Down Converter
For HD DVD PSP Xbox360......

HD Component Video (YPbPr) to Composite Video and S-video converter box is a plug-and-play automatic video converter that provides instant decoding of the high-quality Component Video signal to Composite Video and S-Video to facilitate the viewing of video content on televisions, projectors or other devices that do not have component video input.

With using this HD to SD down converter, users can easily use a regular tube TV for watching high definition video content or use any standard video monitor for monitoring purpose

This HD to SD video down converter also facilitates integrating your new HD video equipments with existing home theater system or AV receiver with ease. Save you money by integrating your HD/SD equipments nice without costly upgrade or expansion incurred.

The product provides a convenient application that user can watch high definition TV, satellite video or Blue-Ray HD movie meanwhile recording it in standard resolution at 480i or 576i using a DVR or VCR machine.

Converts YPbPr input signal to CVBS and S-Video output signal
Input video resolution supported: 1080p 50/60Hz, 1080i 50/60Hz, 720p 50/60Hz, 576p, 480p, 576i and 480i
Simultaneously output composite video (CVBS) and S-Video
Converts audio L/R inputs into audio output via 3.5mm audio jack with earphone supported
Output video supports both NTSC and PAL, switchable by a button on the box

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Converter is $80 with shipping, but it seems to be about as cheap as anything that (I think) is likely going to work for my setup, so I'm really thinking about trying to save up for this particular Converter. I would really appreciate it if someone who knows about this would take a look at the detailed specs of this Converter and let me know if it will work for my setup (actually convert the .1080i 16:9 output signal on my FiOS DVR down to .480i and keep it as a 16:9 Widescreen image so that the Polaroid DRM-2001G Component Inputs will be able to accept it and then pass it thru to my Panasonic DMR-EA18 via S-Video).

Thanks again. - AzAssassin, a.k.a. BillyJackAz
post #10 of 99 Old 07-22-2010, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

Would this converter on eBay work for me?

This Converter is $80 with shipping, but it seems to be about as cheap as anything that (I think) is likely going to work for my setup, so I'm really thinking about trying to save up for this particular Converter. I would really appreciate it if someone who knows about this would take a look at the detailed specs of this Converter and let me know if it will work for my setup (actually convert the .1080i 16:9 output signal on my FiOS DVR down to .480i and keep it as a 16:9 Widescreen image so that the Polaroid DRM-2001G Component Inputs will be able to accept it and then pass it thru to my Panasonic DMR-EA18 via S-Video).

Thanks again. - AzAssassin, a.k.a. BillyJackAz

You may want to consider this from monoprice.com. If it doesn't work you would only be out shipping cost. I say give them a call to find out when it will be back in stock.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
post #11 of 99 Old 07-22-2010, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

You may want to consider this from monoprice.com. If it doesn't work you would only be out shipping cost. I say give them a call to find out when it will be back in stock.

That's a good find.

The monoprice.com description sure matches the Lenkeng description. I never saw it there before, so I either missed it or it's a new item for them.
post #12 of 99 Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Clearly, what we really need is for someone to bootleg together an HDMI to S-Video converter, with instructions for the rest of us. It would likely be costly, and start with something like, buy a cheap television that has an HDMI input. Take the back off exposing the internal electronics...

I can wish, can't I?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #13 of 99 Old 07-22-2010, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

AzAssassin,

Read these two threads:
Cheaper Component to S-Video Converter
Comcast HD STB as tuner for DVDR

As mentioned in the threads, some people have had success with the Lenkeng unit, some have not.
http://www.lenkeng.net/Component-to-...Converter.html

Several vendors appear to sell this unit. The monoprice.com description sure matches the Lenkeng description.

As moxie1617 mentioned, you'll only be out the shipping if the unit does not work.
post #14 of 99 Old 07-22-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:

Also, to answer the question about what the display is like when hooking up my FiOS set-top box directly to my TV: I did connect the Component Video Output from my FiOS DVR to my Magnavox LCD TV, and it does display at 4:3 while set at .480i (Letterboxed, with the black bars on the top and bottom); and when I changed it to .720p, as well as at .1080i, it did display in 16:9 Widescreen (with NO black bars and the entire TV screen covered with the video image), exactly how I want to be able to record.

Here are the 4 options for the FiOS DVR Video Settings> Video Format:

.480i 4:3
.480p 4:3
.720p 16:9
.1080i 16:9

Did you also actually play a 16:9 (HD) recording when the output was set to 480p 4:3? If not, give it a try. I also have a Motorola box for ATT U-Verse, also with 4 output options:
"4x3 standard definition"
"Widescreen standard definition"
"720p high definition"
"1080i high definition"

However, the "Widescreen" option actually displays a 'squeezed' image, so that if I play a 16x9 recording, it is in a 4x3 aspect ratio. I need to select the 'stretch' viewing mode on my TV to have the image properly fill the screen at the correct aspect ratio. But this is exactly what is needed to record a 'widescreen' program onto a DVD recorder. I don't think many, if any, DVD recorders accept a true 16x9 widescreen image and record it with the 16x9 flag enabled (see the multiple threads within this forum asking similar questions). So give it a try and see how it turns out.
post #15 of 99 Old 07-22-2010, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
[quote=AzAssassin;18941913]Would this converter on eBay work for me?

Some of the Item Description:

HD Component Video /YPbPr To Composite S-Video Down Converter
For HD DVD PSP Xbox360......

AzAssassin,that particular converter on eBay is the Lenkeng converter. As an owner of one of these units i would advise you to save your $$ until you find a good one. I have had nothing but problems with this converter ie, very dark pic. with colors that glow like neon. I read somewhere that it may be due to some kind of gamma issue,i don't know if it is or not, but in IMO You should stay away from that particular converter. You can try the Ambrey converter for $209.00, or if you can wait, then Shinybow electronics will be introducing a new converter,supposedly on 9/21/10. It was supposed to have been released 6/30/10 but the release date has been pushed back. G.
post #16 of 99 Old 07-22-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by i86time View Post

Did you also actually play a 16:9 (HD) recording when the output was set to 480p 4:3? If not, give it a try. I also have a Motorola box for ATT U-Verse, also with 4 output options:
"4x3 standard definition"
"Widescreen standard definition"
"720p high definition"
"1080i high definition"

However, the "Widescreen" option actually displays a 'squeezed' image, so that if I play a 16x9 recording, it is in a 4x3 aspect ratio. I need to select the 'stretch' viewing mode on my TV to have the image properly fill the screen at the correct aspect ratio. But this is exactly what is needed to record a 'widescreen' program onto a DVD recorder. I don't think many, if any, DVD recorders accept a true 16x9 widescreen image and record it with the 16x9 flag enabled (see the multiple threads within this forum asking similar questions). So give it a try and see how it turns out.

If your Motorola box outputs a 16:9 WS image over Composite YWR or S-Video WITHOUT letterboxing it, it's the first time anyone has posted that. The previous "intelligence" was that ALL Motorolas LB their Composite/S-Video outputs.

If yours does, please provide the model number so I can include it in the chart here.
post #17 of 99 Old 07-22-2010, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

First off, thank you very much to all of you that have responded to my questions. Please know your efforts to help are sincerely appreciated.

With that said, am I correct in the understanding that the Component Video INPUT on the Polaroid DRM-2001G will NOT accept/allow a signal higher than .480i as a source? Is that actually standard for any device's Component Video Input, that it will not accept .720p nor .1080i in through their Component Video Input?

By the way, when I view a channel with my set-top box set at .480i or .480p, the image is Letterboxed (with black bars along the top and bottom); but when set at .720p or .1080i, the entire screen is covered and tghe picture is spectacular.

By the way, I'm not sure if I clarified this already, but the only reason I want to be able to record in 16:9 Widescreen format is to be able to record Boxing from an HD-Source (i.e. HDHBO, HDShowtime, ESPN2HD, FoxSportsHD, etc.) and have my recorded DVDs play in 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen when played back on standalone-DVD Players.

Also, and this may be a little off tipic, but is there a program (like TMPGEnc DVD Authoring Works) that will allow me to change the video image on my recordings so that they will be played as a 16:9 Widescreen image? Or, since my Panasonic DVD Recorder captures the .480i signal from my FiOS DVR as a Letterbox image, will I be stuck with that Letterboxed video image no matter what, since that is how it is originally captured with my DVD recorder?

Thanks again for the responses, y'all!

One more thing, actually. I'm under the impression that satellite set-top boxes (Direct TV inparticular, anyway) will display a 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen image over their Composite (Yellow Port) Video Output, allowing any DVD Recorder to record the 16:9 image through its Composite Inputs. Is this true? if so, does anyone know a particular package I might be able to get through Direct TV or Dish Network just to receive their HBO and Showtime channels so that I could record from their Composite Output in 16:9 format? If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

post #18 of 99 Old 07-22-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

If your Motorola box outputs a 16:9 WS image over Composite YWR or S-Video WITHOUT letterboxing it, it's the first time anyone has posted that. The previous "intelligence" was that ALL Motorolas LB their Composite/S-Video outputs.

If yours does, please provide the model number so I can include it in the chart here.

Yes. But just to be clear, the box outputs the 16x9 material in a 4x3 'squeezed' frame, so one needs to use the TV's 'stretch' mode (or copy the resulting dvd to a computer and edit the .ifo to set the 16x9 flag properly). But yes, there is no letterboxing when the "Widescreen standard definition" aspect ratio is chosen as output. It does this over composite, S-video and HDMI (haven't checked component, but I assume it would). It would be nice if it actually output a widescreen (i.e. non squeezed) 16x9 picture (as indicated by its name), but it sure beats letterboxing when creating DVD's from HD sources.

This is for the ATT U-Verse service, models numbers VIP-1225 (HDD DVR) and VIP-1220 (standard non-DVR receiver). U-Verse also used an older DVR model (VIP-1216, I beleive) and also currently has a Cisco (I believe) 320 GB DVR, neither of which I have experience with.
post #19 of 99 Old 07-22-2010, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

With that said, am I correct in the understanding that the Component Video INPUT on the Polaroid DRM-2001G will NOT accept/allow a signal higher than .480i as a source? Is that actually standard for any device's Component Video Input, that it will not accept .720p nor .1080i in through their Component Video Input?

Yes this is the case, you need a 480i source for the Polo or any other DVDR.

Quote:

By the way, I'm not sure if I clarified this already, but the only reason I want to be able to record in 16:9 Widescreen format is to be able to record Boxing from an HD-Source (i.e. HDHBO, HDShowtime, ESPN2HD, FoxSportsHD, etc.) and have my recorded DVDs play in 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen when played back on standalone-DVD Players.

Also, and this may be a little off tipic, but is there a program (like TMPGEnc DVD Authoring Works) that will allow me to change the video image on my recordings so that they will be played as a 16:9 Widescreen image? Or, since my Panasonic DVD Recorder captures the .480i signal from my FiOS DVR as a Letterbox image, will I be stuck with that Letterboxed video image no matter what, since that is how it is originally captured with my DVD recorder?

First you need a device to give you full screen 480i(not letterboxed) and if you plan on playing those DVDs on a 4:3 TV you'll also want to set the WS bit using a computer program(which I don't bother with since I only have WS TVs). Using a computer alone won't give you wide screen recordings, you need a widescreen source.

Quote:

One more thing, actually. I'm under the impression that satellite set-top boxes (Direct TV inparticular, anyway) will display a 16:9 Anamorphic Widescreen image over their Composite (Yellow Port) Video Output, allowing any DVD Recorder to record the 16:9 image through its Composite Inputs. Is this true? if so, does anyone know a particular package I might be able to get through Direct TV or Dish Network just to receive their HBO and Showtime channels so that I could record from their Composite Output in 16:9 format? If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated.

I've also read this about the sat. providers, that is they output 16:9 from their composite(and S-video if they have that output). I doubt you can just subscribe to HBO or SHO without also subscribing to a basic type of service but someone else is bound to know more than I about pay TV, I only use OTA.

$25 shipping for a converter box not much larger than a pack of cigarettes To me that's saying the sellers get lots of returns and they are just trying to make something off the transaction, I'd avoid it like the plague.
Now that Monoprice converter looks to be the ticket. While MP is cheap it's generally fine for quality. Besides they aren't trying to make a ton on shipping so they must be thinking not many will come back, GOOD FIND!
About a 1/2 year ago I emailed MP asking if they could find a supplier of such a converter, I never heard back from them so I figured they couldn't. Glad to see they are carrying such a device now, now all we need is for them to sell a HDMI to Component converter(like the HD fury) for people interested in such a device.
MP rocks
post #20 of 99 Old 07-22-2010, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I have used computer software in order to scale a letterboxed image to full screen WS 16:9. But none of the settings/algorithms I tried looked as good as just using the zoom function on the TV in order to fill the screen with what appears to be an almost properly sized image. IOW not a lot of overscan. So while I may be losing some resolution, at least I do not have a problem with a darker picture, inaccurate colors or other problems as some have experienced using a cheap converter. And it cost me nothing. Would I rather record a 480i anamorphic signal? Of course I would. But I don't save enough programs to justify purchasing an expensive, hopefully good, converter.

IOW there is always the option of recording letterbox & letting the TV expand the image. Will the results be good enough? That's up to the individual & the equipment.
post #21 of 99 Old 07-23-2010, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

Note this item has no ETA. I'm not sure if it was ever available, I guess if one was interested they could check the box to be notified when available. If I had one complaint about MP it would be so many of the things they sell are out of stock At times when I've had a larger order of multiple items it can take forever for all the items to come in stock(usually I give up on my less needed items) and MP won't let you order a item if it's not in stock.
post #22 of 99 Old 07-24-2010, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

Clearly, what we really need is for someone to bootleg together an HDMI to S-Video converter,

There is a device, the HDFury3 HDMI 1.3 to component converter, for $299. It could be connected to a component to S-Video converter, to produce a HDMI>S-Vid converter. A bit pricey, though.
post #23 of 99 Old 07-26-2010, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

There is a device, the HDFury3 HDMI 1.3 to component converter, for $299. It could be connected to a component to S-Video converter, to produce a HDMI>S-Vid converter. A bit pricey, though.

It says it's CP compliant. DO you believe it? This thing, if it works the way it's talked about on the web sites I read, is the kind of device that the content providors greatly fear, even more than the video filters. I'm sure they will make every attempt to make it illegal.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #24 of 99 Old 07-26-2010, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It says it's CP compliant. DO you believe it? This thing, if it works the way it's talked about on the web sites I read, is the kind of device that the content providors greatly fear, even more than the video filters. I'm sure they will make every attempt to make it illegal.

Well, at that price, just maybe they have the hardware in it to make it CP compliant. The thing is, my component>S-Video converter strips out CP, so it probably wouldn't matter to me. On the other hand, is there really any such thing as CP compliant component? I don't really know.
post #25 of 99 Old 07-26-2010, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Recent FCC ruling:

Quote:

In addition to the jailbreaking exemption, the FCC announced a few other rules that have less sweeping applicability but are still significant:

• Professors, students and documentary filmmakers are now allowed, for “noncommercial” purposes, to break the copy protection measures on DVDs to be used in classroom or other not-for-profit environments. This doesn’t quite go so far as to grant you and me the right to copy a DVD so we can watch it in two rooms of the house, but it’s now only one step away.

I wonder how this ruling relates to many of the grey market devices and software that seems to be prolific.

From here:

Yahoo News

How does one differentiate between a "student" "noncommercial" "not-for-profit" "documentary filmmakers" etc?
post #26 of 99 Old 07-27-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

Well, at that price, just maybe they have the hardware in it to make it CP compliant. The thing is, my component>S-Video converter strips out CP, so it probably wouldn't matter to me. On the other hand, is there really any such thing as CP compliant component? I don't really know.

The real problem is this, your component to S-Video device will possibly be useless in the near future. There is a lot of serious rhetoric taking place discussing the very real possibility of it becoming mandatory for all analog outputs on any given dvd player, DVR or satellite receiver to be disabled when the media has content protection asserted. This closes the analog "hole" and makes HDMI (digital) the only possible output for such programming.

This is being seriously discussed, and could be coming much sooner than most of us think (fear). That's why I made the comment that what we really need is a CP compliant HDMI to S-Video device.

Luke

post #27 of 99 Old 07-27-2010, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The real problem is this, your component to S-Video device will possibly be useless in the near future. There is a lot of serious rhetoric taking place discussing the very real possibility of it becoming mandatory for all analog outputs on any given dvd player, DVR or satellite receiver to be disabled when the media has content protection asserted. This closes the analog "hole" and makes HDMI (digital) the only possible output for such programming.

This is being seriously discussed, and could be coming much sooner than most of us think (fear). That's why I made the comment that what we really need is a CP compliant HDMI to S-Video device.

If the analog "hole" is closed how will that affect older dvd players? I have 2 older Sony dvd players (2004) that don't have HDMI outputs and i don't see how they will be able to shut down my all of my outputs,unless by some form of technological trickery they can shut the dvd players down.

As far as the HD FURY is concerned,they claim that it's totally legal. If so,then you should be able to connect component cables to the HD FURY,then to a component to s-video converter, then s-video out of converter to a dvdr,unless you run into handshake issues. But it doesn't seem to make sense to have handshake issues with this setup,cuz if there were any,then there would also be handshake issues running component cables to older tv's w/o HDMI inputs. Is my thinking off? Am i naive? G.
post #28 of 99 Old 07-27-2010, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

DVD players should be just fine, AFAIK only BR players will disable the component outputs(if they even have component output which several don't). You'll always be able to play your old DVDs but in the not too distant future new material will no longer be available on DVD but only BR. If it's anything like the transition from VHS to DVD both BR and DVD should be around for a while but will be gradually phased out with the newer titles.
post #29 of 99 Old 07-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

DVD players should be just fine, AFAIK only BR players will disable the component outputs(if they even have component output which several don't). You'll always be able to play your old DVDs but in the not too distant future new material will no longer be available on DVD but only BR. If it's anything like the transition from VHS to DVD both BR and DVD should be around for a while but will be gradually phased out with the newer titles.

jjeff, I went to www.curtpalme.com web site and took a quick look at the owners manual for the HD FURY 3. It says that the HD FURY 3 has a chip that provides HDCP decryption,completes the handshake,and converts the HDMI signal to component and rgbhv signals. It's also HDMI 1.3 compliant and HDCP 1.1 compliant and DVI 1.0 compliant. So it should be possible to record from blu ray players w/o worrying about the analog outputs being shut down. The unit is a bit pricey,but if you want to continue to record material this unit or something like it will be a must. G.
post #30 of 99 Old 07-27-2010, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

As I understand it, you are completely correct. DVD players will not be effected by this. It is exclusively a problem with high definition content that has copy protection enabled. This should exclude off the air HD as well as standard DVDs. As you have reported, many (well, some) BR players don't have any analog output, just HDMI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

jjeff, I went to www.curtpalme.com web site and took a quick look at the owners manual for the HD FURY 3. It says that the HD FURY 3 has a chip that provides HDCP decryption,completes the handshake,and converts the HDMI signal to component and rgbhv signals. It's also HDMI 1.3 compliant and HDCP 1.1 compliant and DVI 1.0 compliant. So it should be possible to record from blu ray players w/o worrying about the analog outputs being shut down. The unit is a bit pricey,but if you want to continue to record material this unit or something like it will be a must. G.

The utility of this is arguably, to allow those who bought early HD televisions that only had component inputs to continue to operate. The use that I would put it to is circumvention.

It is nice to know these things about the HD Fury 3. Thanks for this.

Luke

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page