Panasonic DMR-EH75 with broken VXY1945 DVD Drive - what are my options? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-28-2010, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Panasonic DMR-EH75 recorder that recently had my DVD drive go belly-up

What are my options at this point? The DVD drive is a VXY1945, and I get the no-read error. In addition....after my experimenting...now I cannot get a disc to eject. Not sure if I caused that or if it was just its final way to say goodbye??

I read about the Elgin service center?? Do they still offer the $130 flat fee fix? IF so....I have no problem doing that as I love the machine. I can still use it to record things and remove commercials, etc, but I have no functioning DVD drive which partially renders the machine useless if I ever want to copy something from the hard drive to DVD.

Thanks for any help anyone can give on this!
Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-28-2010, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lw1988 View Post

I have a Panasonic DMR-EH75 recorder that recently had my DVD drive go belly-up

What are my options at this point? The DVD drive is a VXY1945, and I get the no-read error. In addition....after my experimenting...now I cannot get a disc to eject. Not sure if I caused that or if it was just its final way to say goodbye??

I read about the Elgin service center?? Do they still offer the $130 flat fee fix? IF so....I have no problem doing that as I love the machine. I can still use it to record things and remove commercials, etc, but I have no functioning DVD drive which partially renders the machine useless if I ever want to copy something from the hard drive to DVD.

Thanks for any help anyone can give on this!
Larry

Listen to the DVD Drive. Often the noises point to the type of problem. Perhaps what's needed is a lens and rubber hub/spindle cleaning. See this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

Information as to the $130 flat-rate repair through the Elgin Illinois Service Center is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14451738

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 13 Old 08-29-2010, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

DigaDo. Thanks for the response. I tried a quick spindle cleaning and believe that is where I messed up the drive to where it will not eject a disc now. I'll probably have to look to the Elgin Service Center. Do you know if they would include my eject issue as well in the $130 flat fee? If so...sounds like a no-brainer before I attempt anything else on the machine and do more damage!

Thanks again,
Larry
post #4 of 13 Old 08-29-2010, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Do you know if they would include my eject issue as well in the $130 flat fee? If so...sounds like a no-brainer before I attempt anything else on the machine and do more damage!

Thanks again,
Larry

The $130 fee covers repairs, no matter what may be wrong.
Werewolves could take a bite from the side, the Elgin folk will fix it...

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #5 of 13 Old 08-29-2010, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

cool!!! I'm liking the Elgin folk! Of course...I suppose I should reserve my opinions until later! If they can fix it for $130, they will definately be my heros!

Thanks to all for the responses.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-29-2010, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DigaDo. Thanks for the response. I tried a quick spindle cleaning and believe that is where I messed up the drive to where it will not eject a disc now. I'll probably have to look to the Elgin Service Center. Do you know if they would include my eject issue as well in the $130 flat fee? If so...sounds like a no-brainer before I attempt anything else on the machine and do more damage!

Thanks again,
Larry

If the disc tray was extended with the DVD Drive lid removed, the roller/slider was not positioned to the left rear corner of the disc tray or the DVD Drive lid was not correctly reseated there will be reassembly complications and functionality issues.

I've described and illustrated remedial measures for reassembly complications in two February 2009 posts, beginning here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post15745506

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #7 of 13 Old 08-29-2010, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the tip DigaDo. I now have a working eject on the machine. Followed your tip and it was great!! Love the instructions and the step-by-step pics. Now if I could just get rid of the clunking when it tries to read the discs...it could be spared a trip to Elgin.

One more quick question....is there anything on the market now (or close) that does what these Panasonic machines with hard drives do?? I'm not sure they make recorders with hard drives anymore. I have yet to see any. Guess that is what makes it worth trying to keep the Panasonic going. I love the machine. I have used it to convert my entire VHS collection over to DVD and still use it for manual recordings to record stuff and save the cost of a Tivo.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-29-2010, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks for the tip DigaDo. I now have a working eject on the machine. Followed your tip and it was great!! Love the instructions and the step-by-step pics. Now if I could just get rid of the clunking when it tries to read the discs...it could be spared a trip to Elgin.

One more quick question....is there anything on the market now (or close) that does what these Panasonic machines with hard drives do?? I'm not sure they make recorders with hard drives anymore. I have yet to see any. Guess that is what makes it worth trying to keep the Panasonic going. I love the machine. I have used it to convert my entire VHS collection over to DVD and still use it for manual recordings to record stuff and save the cost of a Tivo.

"Clunking" is not the sound the Panasonic owner is pleased to hear as it usually indicates a failed laser assembly.

I own one Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder, a recently purchased DMR-EH50 from the 2005 model year. This EH50 has been in daily use for two weeks now.

I have more experience with my Philips 3575 and 3576, Magnavox 2080, 2160A and three 2160 models, all of them HDD/DVD recorders.

The Magnavox 513 is the only current model HDD/DVD Recorder in the USA market. The 513 is sold through walmart.com for $227:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Magnavox-M...order/14291489

Like-new refurbished 2160A models are sold through J&R World for $160:

http://www.jr.com/magnavox/pe/MAG_H2160MW9_hy_RB/

The first post in Wajo's sticky thread is the gateway to a wealth of information concerning these Magnavox HDD/DVD Recorders:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12244086

post #9 of 13 Old 08-30-2010, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

thanks. Looks like the buying the Magnavox may be a better option then fixing the Panasonic? Does the Magnavox have a S-Video or RCA Input to record from external sources? Sorry...guess I'm too lazy to dig through the specs and see if I can find any info. The Walmart page doesn't say. Looks like it has a large hard drive and you can remove commercials from recordings and then burn to DVD. I'm sure it wouldn't be a perfect replacement to the Panasonic, but sounds like it will be close.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-30-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:

thanks One more quick question....is there anything on the market now (or close) that does what these Panasonic machines with hard drives do?? I'm not sure they make recorders with hard drives anymore. I have yet to see any. Guess that is what makes it worth trying to keep the Panasonic going. I love the machine. I have used it to convert my entire VHS collection over to DVD and still use it for manual recordings to record stuff and save the cost of a Tivo.

There are also the international models available from B&H, J&R, and others. They are not direct replacements because, as international machines, they have no US Warranty, the tuner is unusable in North America, and they don't record closed captioning, but other then that, they are so similar to your EH75, you will barely need to open the manual.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #11 of 13 Old 08-30-2010, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

thanks. Looks like the buying the Magnavox may be a better option then fixing the Panasonic? Does the Magnavox have a S-Video or RCA Input to record from external sources? Sorry...guess I'm too lazy to dig through the specs and see if I can find any info. The Walmart page doesn't say. Looks like it has a large hard drive and you can remove commercials from recordings and then burn to DVD. I'm sure it wouldn't be a perfect replacement to the Panasonic, but sounds like it will be close.

Be sure to start your research with the table of contents in the first post in Wajo's sticky thread. With that resource one quickly and easily may find all manner of detail.

I've been very satisfied with my Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders in a great variety of situations. But there are certain considerations when moving from a Panasonic HDD/DVD recorder to a Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder. If I were in your situation I would first have your DMR-EH75 repaired for the $130 flat-rate repair at the Elgin Service Center.

With my usage profile I have around thirty fully functional recorders with thirteen recorders set up for daily use and the rest are set aside as "standbys." Six of the recorders in daily use are HDD/DVD models (one Panasonic, two Philips and three Magnavox). I have two other Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders set aside for standby use. Do I have enough HDD/DVD recorders on hand? Probably not. I've been considering adding a new Magnavox 513 to my group of recorders.

Depending upon your usage profile I might suggest that you also add a Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder to your holdings. After all, one might never have too many recorders, might one?

One of my regular use situations is the recording of a weekday one hour long commentary program. I had been using a 2160A for that purpose. I've been using the (Magnavox) LP recording mode that provides a high-speed dubbing capacity of 3:20:00 per DVD. This has required that five one hour weekday shows be edited down to an average of forty minutes per show in order to bring the total of the week's five shows in under the 3:20:00 total running time. The Magnavox LP recording mode picture quality does not compare well with the Panasonic LP recording mode that provides 4:00:00 per DVD. For that reason I've switched over to a DMR-EH50 to record the five weekday commentary programs. With the switch to a DMR-EH50 there are three benefits:

1. Better picture quality of the Panasonic LP recording mode.
2. Broader approach to editing in order to provide intro/outro graphic sequences formerly edited out prior to high-speed dubbing.
3. Forty additional minutes of program content per DVD allowing for inclusion of related programming content on the same DVD with the five weekday shows.

For that specific purpose I find the Panasonic DMR-EH50 to be superior to the Magnavox HDD/DVD models.

For use as an ATSC or clear QAM tuner/recorder the Magnavox has the advantage over the EH series Panasonic recorders (that have anlog tuners only). One good feature is the Magnavox/Philips amplified RF pass through (unmodulated) output useful for daisy chaining recorders. I'm currently using a four recorder daisy chain (from a Philips 3575 to a Magnavox 2160 to a Panasonic DMR-EZ28 to a DMR-EZ17). The Magnavox has the usual line inputs, S-Video and composite for use with external programming sources, e.g., cable converters, satellite receivers or third party devices (Tivo, Moxi).

There are other considerations--primarily the picture quality advantage of the Panasonic out to the LP (four hour per DVD) recording mode. To find comparible picture quality with Philips and Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders one must stay with the SP recording mode that provides 2:10:00 of programming content per DVD with high-speed dubbing.

Most of my recording is early talkie movies through movies of the film noir era as shown by Turner Classic Movies. I record TCM's High Definition feed. Most of the movies I record are black and white. I also record occasional color and widescreen movies. For those purposes I most often use the Panasonic LP recording mode. When using my Philips and Magnavox recorders I find comparable picture quality at SP, but also good enough picture quality at SPP (2:46:30 hours per DVD) and LP (3:20:00 hours per DVD). Wajo provides this and more extensive information, including a helpful table, found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...tcount=19#HSD5

This is typical of the detail that may be found in Wajo's extensive reference work. Wajo even provides important information that has been omitted from the Owner's Manual. Where the Owner's Manuals don't give a clue as to front and end cut editing procedures, Wajo does.

post #12 of 13 Old 08-30-2010, 12:50 PM

DigaDo:

When you record an old 4:3 movie from TCM HD, does the movie fill the screen, or are you getting black bars on all 4 sides?
post #13 of 13 Old 08-30-2010, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMas View Post

DigaDo:

When you record an old 4:3 movie from TCM HD, does the movie fill the screen, or are you getting black bars on all 4 sides?

I'm using a Comcast Motorola DCX3200 converter box that displays the image as Comcast provides it. All my Magnavox, Philips and Panasonic recorders are set for 16x9 letterbox. All these recorders preserve and record the signal as provided by Comcast. The usual Comcast HD feed is widescreen letterboxed and sometimes postage stamped. Beyond that, the TV remote selects the TV display options. Our main viewing TVs are 16x9 HD models. A few older 4x3 CRT TVs are used for specific purposes. None of my recorders are set for 4x3 or "pan and scan" here's why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5m1-pP1-5K8

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page