Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2010, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

The AG1960 is too old and uses some hard to repair flat motors. It does not have any features that differentiate it from consumer units of the period. The AG1970 is quite possibly the most rugged VCR Panasonic ever made, but overall its performance is only average. It has a very basic TBC and limited DNR, so colors are not as smooth or pure as the AG1980 or JVC/Mitsubishi DVHS models. If you find a working AG1970 for a great price, say $50, it can be an excellent workhorse player: the tape transport and power supply are actually better than the AG1980 which followed. But the AG1980 rules the Panasonic roost with the best color processing and TBC. Personally I use both a 1970 and a 1980. The primary defect in these VCRs is a faded front panel counter display: it is prohibitively expensive to replace nowadays and is the only part I would not spend the money to service. Its much cheaper to just troll eBay or Craigs List for the accessory AGA96 wired remote, which has a built-in one inch high LCD tape counter display that never fades. The AGA96 is easily found for $30 or less and is compatible with the 1960, 1970 or 1980 (you connect two vcrs to one AGA96 and view the counter display of either one by toggling a button).

The HR-S7600 is about as old as the Panasonic AG1970, but ten times as likely to have been beat to death and passed around by every member of every video forum in North America. Totally aside from my own personal bad experience with JVCs, its simply too late in the game to be shopping for one. Every wingnut obsessive-compulsive on every AV forum who was interested in transferring their VHS tapes to DVD snapped up all the old JVC svhs models in 2003 and beat on them, then turned around and resold them to another obsessive, who beat on them some more, then flipped them to another set of users, and so on. These decks were peculiar to begin with and don't like being shipped repeatedly and being repaired multiple times.

The only reason anyone put up with the infuriating old JVC svhs series was for their TBC/DNR features. These can be truly helpful when digitizing VHS or playing it on today's unforgiving LCD televisions. Over the long history of vcrs, JVC offered the TBC/DNR feature on more models at more price points than its competitors. So when recordable DVD led to unexpected demand for those features, most jumped on the old JVC vcrs. The Panasonic AG1970 TBC/DNR is not nearly as effective, and the superior AG1980 was twice as expensive to buy five years ago than the typical JVC. Eventually the constant forum drumbeat for the JVC 7600 and its ilk drove out discussion of any alternatives, and the JVCs became overpriced cult items.

Today, with demand cooled, other options are discussed more often. The DVHS models from JVC and Mitsubishi offer the same TBC/DNR filters as the old 7600, but in a much newer chassis with better-spec tape transport and other parts. Since DVHS was a stillborn format virtually no American consumer was aware of, the machines sell used for the same or lower prices than the cult SVHS JVCs and are thus a much smarter alternative. The Mitsubishi HS-HD2000U has an arguably better overall design and sleeker chassis than the clunkier JVC DVHS units, but performance in regular VHS mode is near identical: you could be happy with either brand. The once-expensive Panasonic AG1980 has finally dropped down to earth from its stratospheric heyday, now found easily for $80-200 depending on condition. The AG1980 TBC/DNR is functionally similar to that in the JVC 7600 and the JVC/Mitsubishi DVHS models, but is different enough to be noticeably better for some tapes. The AG1970 and AG1980 can use their noise filters independently of the TBC feature, which can be crucial with some tapes that do not react well to the TBC (the JVC/Mitsu design locks the TBC and DNR together in an "all or nothing" arrangement, which is less flexible).. At todays more affordable prices, many of us can now keep both a JVC/Mitsubishi and a Panasonic 1980 on hand to tackle any tape issue with ease. Other than JVC, Panasonic and Mitsubishi, no consumer VCR brands offered the coveted TBC/DNR feature (Toshiba had one final top model with superb DNR but no TBC, it didn't sell well and is hard to find in North America).

The unstable Sony SVHS units had some relevance when we were still recording strictly to tapes, but in today's playback-only scenario they aren't worth the effort. A well-preserved lower-end (non-SVHS) Sony can be a remarkably good player with a nice picture, and worth a look if you can obtain a nice one. But the SVHS models were all one-off showpiece models with very strange parts designs that tend to fail and not be repairable. When tape was the only format, some of the Sony SVHS models were prized for their amazing recording quality in spite of their atrocious reliability history and so-so playback circuits. The final premium model 1000 and 2000 were fun to play with and looked wonderful on a shelf, but performance was not fantastic and reliability was poor. None of the consumer or prosumer Sonys had the TBC/DNR feature desirable now for feeding a clean signal to a PC or DVD recorder: an eccentric VCR without that feature is really not worth the risk of repair anymore. In terms of absolute performance, a Quasar model VHQ860 (or its sister Panasonic version) found in a thrift shop for $10 will outplay and outlast any used Sony SVHS vcr. As a collectible, sure- some of the top-line Sonys are exotic and pretty to look at. But not good for day-to-day use.

The Sony BetaMax models are an entirely separate discussion. These were generally much sturdier and Sony took greater care in their manufacture. Most early and late period BetaMaxes are still repairable and in service, some mid-period models based on the clunky tall-boy front-load design are not worth the trouble. Toshiba made a couple of astonishingly good BetaMax clones in the early-mid '80s, as did NEC, but I imagine parts and service knowledge for these has all but disappeared. Today I would stick to a late model Sony if you want a used BetaMax.

And let's NOT forget about those CRAPPY Sony
SLV-R5UC Svhs vcr's. I had 2 of these, and they
BOTH had the Magenta Smear and the BAD Power Supply's!
See the picture that I took back in March 2001.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 08:01 PM

Once again, I was not a good Pho-tog then, so I don't have
any pictures close-up, of the controls behind the flip-down-door.
BUT, it does NOT matter, the vcr was a pile of junk, and I had
nothing but problems with BOTH of them.
1 went back to the seller I won it from on ebay,
and the second, I hung onto, and it went in the shop about every
6-9 months for something. Got rid of it in 2003, when I bought
another JVC S6700U off of ebay.
Guess what, that seller LIED too! It cost over $150 to fix after paying
$200 for it. THAT ONE, I still have, AFTER spending $150
ealier in 2010, to get it fixed, still does NOT play OLDER, and WORN tapes
very good. Enter the Panasonic 1980P!
WHAT a DIFFERANCE!
I still have my 2 NON-WORKING PANASONIC S4990 VCR'S, AS WELL AS
1 PANASONIC 1980, that DOESN'T WORK EITHER! TOOK THE $100
BITE on that one on ebay back in June 2010.
the 2 S4990 were both bought in early 2004. After getting rid
of 2 JVC SVHS VCR'S, S5800U and S6700U. Before that the
Panasonic S4880 served me well. That I got USED from a HI-FI store
back in Nov. 1997. Got rid of that in 2004.
I STILL CANNOT BELIEVE THAT 1 IDIOT, WALTCHINK, IS SELLING
A PANASONIC S4990 FOR $2499!
I HAVE THE ORIGINAL BOX, MANUAL, AND REMOTES, AND
THE SALES DEMO, ON TOP OF THE VCR! THE VCR IS
NOT WORTH $400, LET ALONE $2499!!!!!
I like that fact an ebayer, emailed him and said the SAME THING!
WALTCHINK replied, "I like this vcr SOOO MUCH, so, GO BUY
A PANASONIC 1980 AND SAVE YOUR MONEY!"
FUNNY THING, HE HAS A PANASONIC S4880 FOR SALE ON EBAY AS WELL!
I THINK I SOLD HIM THAT ONE, I SOLD IT TO SOMEONE IN
CALIFORNIA, WITH THE ORIGINAL BOX, MANUAL, REMOTES!
HE ONLY WANTS $400 FOR THAT ONE!!!!!!
WALTCHINK, IS SUCH AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 08:32 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

This is a wild VCR subculture I did not know about. I've had my share of SVHS decks over the years, mostly JVC. I had 1, sharp maybe? Anyway, it had this crazy remote that was HUGE! You had to use 2 hands, it had an lcd screen and talked to you!

I still have my 2-tape promo copy of Godfather III in SVHS still in the shrink wrap. I think it came with a JVC.

Now I just have 2 DVHS decks I got new for about $200 when they were closing them out. A 30000U and a DT100 I use to encode tapes.

Former USSB uplink operator.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

The Pioneer and Toshiba TiVO-based DVD/HDD recorders were never as popular when new as they were later second-hand. The new retail price was more than anyone wanted to spend, and their best feature (the TiVO operating system) also sucked: prohibiting you from any editing whatsoever, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a DVD/HDD recorder in the first place. Once discontinued, prices dropped to a more palatable level, and those who wanted a "poor man's TiVO" that just happened to have a DVD player built in developed a cult around them. The DVD section is pretty much worthless as anything but a player in these models, they were sought after primarily as cheap TiVOs.

You can call me a poor cultist.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Just caught back up with this thread.

Thanks for sharing Ramitinski and CitiBear again, and everyone for keeping the conversation going.

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Old 09-21-2010, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I just saw this baby and it went for pretty good money...

JVC HR S10000U

Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Sega Genesis / Nintendo SNES / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
Old 09-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post

I just saw this baby and it went for pretty good money...

JVC HR S10000U

I’m one of the 50% of AVS members whom writes positive remarks regarding JVC SVHS decks but… paying $290 USD plus A $4.00 handling p/u charge with no shipping options for a 20+ year old consumer deck being sold as "We've only tested that the unit powers up and the display functions work in our store. Sold as-is" is kinda waaaaay over my recommendation.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:01 PM

Yes, I saw that one from a 0 Feedback seller, and
NOT ON, and NOT PLAYING ANY TAPES!
Notice how the JERKS with 1,000+ Feedbacks
BID it UP TO that amount!!!!!
OH, WHEN WILL THESE IDIOTS EVER LEARN????????????
IF YOU WANT A VCR TO TRANSFER VIDEO TAPES TO DVD,
GET A PANASONIC 1980!
The S10000U does NOT have ANY Time Base Corrector Circuits to
speak of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND MY JVC S6700U Has a COUPLE OF FEATURES NOT FOUND ON THE
S10000U, A SIMLULATED STEREO BUTTON!
PERFECT FOR MONO TAPES, making them SIMULATE Stereo!
Old 09-22-2010, 12:46 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panasonicman06 View Post

Yes, I saw that one from a 0 Feedback seller, and
NOT ON, and NOT PLAYING ANY TAPES!
Notice how the JERKS with 1,000+ Feedbacks
BID it UP TO that amount!!!!!
OH, WHEN WILL THESE IDIOTS EVER LEARN????????????
IF YOU WANT A VCR TO TRANSFER VIDEO TAPES TO DVD,
GET A PANASONIC 1980!
The S10000U does NOT have ANY Time Base Corrector Circuits to
speak of!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AND MY JVC S6700U Has a COUPLE OF FEATURES NOT FOUND ON THE
S10000U, A SIMLULATED STEREO BUTTON!
PERFECT FOR MONO TAPES, making them SIMULATE Stereo!

Pretty to look at though!

Former USSB uplink operator.