Back in 1990, when there many 3.5" HD manufacturers, I was using only SCSI on my own PC, and WD wasn't offering any SCSI, I instituted a policy of not buying WD products. That decision matched up with experience for more than two decades. Of all the failing HDs I had to replace wherever and however found, more were WD than all other brands combined. While it existed, I bought Quantum almost exclusively, a policy that served satisfactorily overall. Eventually after abandoning SCSI in favor of SATA, and given failure reports and experience with Seagate, I was more or less forced to abandon that policy, as the only remaining major manufacturers of 3.5" had become Seagate and WD. The 320G WD3200AVVS AV-GP I put in my #1
v2160 was my first WD purchase for personal use. My reward
for that decision is failure in less than 40 months, 27036 power on hours, little beyond warranty expiration.
I used DFSee
to clone the 320G's first 2008036 sectors to the 500G WD5000AUDX target
, then the remaining sectors, starting at sector 2008040 on the target, which (should have) left sectors 2008036-2008040 nulls (because it had been wiped, but I forgot to confirm before proceeding). Elapsed time: 5:14:25, finding 15,998 sectors bad, 799K.
Next I used DFSee's sector editing
functionality to change the 320G data for MPG_SEGMPG_SEGM.DAT (d9 a3 1e 00 0c 00 00 00 06) and AV001_0AV001_00.MPG (e5 a3 1e 00 00 00 22 25 06) to 500G data at editor addresses 0xB80 (d9 a3 1e 00 10 00 00 00 06) and 0xBC0 (e9 a3 1e 00 00 80 16 3a 06), which are on the fifth sector of the target.
Next I installed the 500G in the v2160, hooked it back up, turned it on and set its clock. It played each of the first and last recordings for the few seconds I tried, but still showed only 27h31m in SP remaining, so I turned it off.
I tried cloning with ddrescue
next, directly from the WD3200AVVS to a 320G Seagate. Elapsed time, about two hours less than DFSee took, while unable to recover roughly half as many sectors
, about 338K.
I removed the WD5000AUDX from the v2160, and repeated the DFSee clone and edit processes, but using the Seagate as the source
. Elapsed time: 2:14:37 (h:m:sec) Throughput = 37.67 MiB/sec with no sector errors. This time I remembered to change the 320G disk size (b0 ea 42 25 e3 a3 40 25 cb 46 02 00 02) at address 0x800 (sector 4) to 500G (30 60 38 3a e7 23 35 3a 47 3c 03 00 02) before reinstalling it in the DVR.
The DVR now reports 105h17m free @SP, an increase of 77h46m. According to the manuals, the 320G in the 513 can record 129 SP hours, the 500G in the 515 206 hours, a difference of 77 hours. So it appears I did enough right. Only time will tell to what extent bad sectors on the old HD affected existing recordings. Given all bad sectors were found beyond ~70% into the disk, and in three groups, there may be very few, or even no, recordings affected. Of 129 hours possible with 320G, and 27.5 remaining available, about 101.5 have been used, or 78.7%. Most were made long ago when the disk was young, and so would be well below 70%.
It also remains to be seen whether this WD5000AUDX's advanced sector format will have any impact on functionality. For SD even in HQ mode these Funais are not capable of demanding anywhere near the throughput that current HDs can handle for HD video or other high demand I/O. I don't expect the internal 512 to 4096 and back translation overhead to be perceptible.
Many thanks to PeterTheGeek
and those who helped him decipher the sector level HD content for making this kind of upgrade possible!