Very Basic Magnavox 2080/2160/513 question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 09-17-2010, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Newbie here with VERY basic question. I have read thru Wajo's very detailed explanations. Tons of great info which answered most of my other questions, but still can't seem to figure this out.

With this DVR, how do you change the mode of recording on the unit so it records DVDs in Video Mode and not VR mode (which seems to be the default)? I have tried over and over, going thru everything on the remote and reading these forums, but can't find it. Probably bc is so basic!

Thanks for any help with this. Also, was I supposed to post this as a new thread or use "reply" under the Magnavox 2080/2160/513 thread already started? Just was not sure if anyone would see it if I posted it there...

Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-17-2010, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
There is no way to change the default "+VR" video file recording mode. For better and worse, the company that makes the Magnavoxes (and many other recorder brands) has established this "+VR" file format as the new defacto DVD recorder standard. Unlike older recorders like Pioneers, which gave a choice of VR or Video modes, the Funai-based recorders are in +VR mode all the time. Its a good idea to go into the Magnavox general settings menu, then the recording options menu, and turn on the "make recordings compatible" option. This normalizes a few things. And remember to finalize any disc (except DVD+RW) you expect to play in other units or rip to a PC.

Under normal use +VR does not typically present any difficulties. Historically, unfinalized DVDs have never been compatible anyway, between recorders or standard DVD players. As long as you finalize your completed Magnavox DVD-R, DVD+R, or DVD-RW discs, they will play nice on other hardware. DVD+RW is a separate file/disc format which is actually standardized across the board and does not require finalizing at all. The only users who encounter difficulties with the Magnavox' inherent +VR file format are those whose workflow involves ripping their Magnavox-recorded discs into PC or Mac re-authoring software: this software tends to be a bit out of date and can have trouble understanding elements of +VR that are different from file structure of DVD Video. There are workarounds, and newer versions of the software are or will be updated to handle +VR.

Depending on what brand recorders or players your friends and family own, you actually have better odds of compatibility with unfinalized Magnavox +VR discs than you would with unfinalized Video Mode discs made on a Pioneer, Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, JVC, LG, etc.All of those companies have their own proprietary unfinalized Video and/or VR modes. But Funai, the company that makes the Magnavox, established the +VR file format quite some time ago and over the years has gained the contract to mfr recorders and players for many other brands (RCA, Sylvania, Philips, Toshiba, etc.) These brands are are much higher volume sellers, so the likelihood of your Magnavox-created unfinalized disc being playable outside the recorder is pretty strong. In other words, don't worry about it.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-17-2010, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I think it is stuck on VR mode but not positive. There are some menu items like make disk compatible that may change the mode or have some affect but I always just edit in the machine then burn and finalize disks as needed and they play fine in other units afterwards.
I'm sure Wajo or somebody else that has spent more time studying and using these things will jump in and provide correct info soon.
post #4 of 6 Old 09-17-2010, 11:58 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
+VR is a standard developed by the DVD+RW Alliance, of which Philips was a founding member. Once finalized, +VR discs are compatible with the Video-mode used in other DVDRs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #5 of 6 Old 09-17-2010, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guess this explains why I could not figure it out
Thanks for all the help!
post #6 of 6 Old 09-17-2010, 06:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Great question though... I thought that was already in the help files, but I couldn't find it either, so I added it as a heading in the Record & Copy section.

|
|
|
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page