chapter marks (MAG MDR513H/F7) not xfering from hdd to dvd - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-12-2010, 01:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks,

I have been doing more exploring with the new (to me :-) Magnavox MDR513H/F7 unit & have come across something weird with the chapter marks.

I edited the chapter marks on a couple of titles on the HDD to manually place my own chapter marks in place of the auto-generated 10 min interval CMs. That worked fine, but when I copied to DVD, my own chapter marks didn't show up. Instead, I got the auto-generated 10 min interval CMs on the DVD-R.

Why?

Any help appreciated,

zhak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-12-2010, 05:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
The 513 only preserves custom and auto-set marks in a HDD title if copying to DVD with high-speed dub (HSD). A real-time dub (RTD) resets marks per your auto setting.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 6 Old 10-14-2010, 05:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

The 513 only preserves custom and auto-set marks in a HDD title if copying to DVD with high-speed dub (HSD). A real-time dub (RTD) resets marks per your auto setting.

Thanks again for your help. I reviewed the applicable sections & I'm curious about one thing. Very probably I've just misunderstood, but I don't understand why the "HIGH" button would be grayed out for two HQ recordings -- um -- they're a bit under an hour, say 55 min each -- but I can burn to disc via the SP button. I thought the "HIGH" button gives you more recording time, not less?

zhak
post #4 of 6 Old 10-14-2010, 06:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhak View Post

Thanks again for your help. I reviewed the applicable sections & I'm curious about one thing. Very probably I've just misunderstood, but I don't understand why the "HIGH" button would be grayed out for two HQ recordings -- um -- they're a bit under an hour, say 55 min each -- but I can burn to disc via the SP button. I thought the "HIGH" button gives you more recording time, not less?

For 1-hr-HQ rec mode, high-speed dub (HSD, or "HIGH") can only dub up to ~1:04:55, so one HQ title of 55 min. should fit, but not two.

The dubbing menu selected 2-hr-SP rec mode for a real-time dub (RTD), or "conversion" dub from HQ to SP, since an SP RTD will fit up to 2:00:00.

If you had SP titles to start with, they could use HSD if they were up to 2:10:00 in length.

Those HSD times are listed here.

|
|
|
post #5 of 6 Old 10-14-2010, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
zhak, as a new AVS member (welcome, btw!) you may be a bit confused about the way DVD/HDD recorders work. Almost everyone at first has trouble sorting out how DVD recorders manage lengths of time vs video quality vs capacity of a blank DVD-R.

The HQ recording speed is a "trap" many fall into, because its an option that did not exist with VHS. The minimum recording time on a VHS T120 was two hours, so its easy to assume that two one-hour HQ recordings on the HDD of the Magnavox would fit nicely on a DVD. This is not the case: DVD actually does not have any "fixed" recording time capacity, like the T120 tapes did. Instead, DVD capacity is measured by data amount. The recording "speed" you select on your Magnavox determines how much running time will fit onto a DVD-R, so the HQ one-hour speed can only fit about 65 minutes onto a DVD in full HQ data quality (using the high speed lossless dub function from the HDD). When you choose to dub two HQ recordings to a single DVD, the high-speed option is greyed out and the recorder will only copy to DVD in "real time" mode. This means it plays the two HQ recordings minute-by-minute in reduced quality to fit them onto the DVD, and in the process you lose your custom chapter marks. So you get stuck waiting two hours for the DVD, instead of 18 mins, and don't even get the true HQ quality on the resulting disc.

To avoid this, I'd suggest standardizing on the SP two-hour data recording speed as wajo recommends. This guarantees 2 hours 10 minutes capacity per DVD at excellent quality. The "improvement" in quality using the HQ speed is usually negligible except for some types of sports or music concerts. For that type of material, you can use HQ on the HDD to record them, but divide such HQ recordings into one-hour chunks on the HDD before attempting to dub DVD copies (this will ensure you get the high speed dub option, which preserves the HQ video quality at one hour per DVD). Most of us find the HQ speed to be more trouble than its worth except for disposable time-shift use on the HDD, stick with SP as the best compromise of quality vs DVD runtime. Much easier to just "set it and forget it" as the default recording speed in the recorder setup menu.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-15-2010, 01:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for your helpful replies!

I am definitely aware that my knowledge base about this topic is hovering near "nil" and appreciate the patience you've shown in answering my questions.

It's much appreciated.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page