TV has 2 HDMI ports and need to connect BluRay, DVR and AV Receiver - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-21-2010, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got some great answers to related questions yesterday and thought I would try again as I need some additional information as I complicated my situation today a bit by buying a blu ray player.

Components:
1. Onkyo 7.1 HTS5300 AV Receiver
2. Vizio LCD HDTV with 2 HDMI ports
3. Magnavox MDR-513H HDD/DVD Recorder
4. Panasonic BluRay DMP-BDP100

I do NOT have HD programming or a set top box so my Time Warner cable is just coming out from the wall.

Goals:
1. be able to record one TV show with my DVR while watching another show on the TV
2. be able to watch blu ray discs and things I record with the DVR but have the audio come through the Onkyo receiver since it has DTS, premium dolby audio rather than just stereo audio.
3. with the TV and receiver turned off, the DVR should be able to turn on and record the audio and video signals from a TV show. When playing back the recording, it should be of the highest possible audio and video quality.

Connections so far which I think are correct:
1. Time Warner coax cable comes from wall and plugs into a splitter - 1 end goes into DVR and other goes into TV.
2. AV receiver HDMI (out) connected to TV HDMI port/jack 1
3. Digital optical cable connects from AV receiver digital (in) to TV digital optical (out)
4. Composite yellow video cable from AV receiver Monitor Out to TV Video In (Onkyo connections diagram said this was necessary to watch videos played back on TV - )

Here's what's confusing me. To meet my goals, I don't know which of the following options I'm supposed to do:
1. using HDMI cables, plug both the blu ray and DVR into the HDMI-2 port on the TV (I'd have to use an HDMI splitter since I only have 2 HDMI ports on the TV and the HDMI-1 port on the TV connects to the receiver), OR;
2. plug them both into the AV receiver with HDMI cables

Questions/Issues with Option 1
1. Do I need to connect the blue ray and DVR to the receiver as well as the TV in order to get the premium audio signals like DTS from the receiver?
2. If I want to play a blu ray disc or watch a TV show I recorded on the DVR, I first have to go into the TV's menu and choose an input source. On the Vizio, my choices are: TV, AV, Comp, HDMI-1, HDMI-2, AV, RGB and Media......there is no option to select AV receiver as the input source even though that is what the DVR and blu ray would be connected to.
3. Do I need additional component or composite cables to connect the blu ray and DVR to the TV since there is no direct connection between them now?

With Option 2, would I still need to connect the blu ray and DVR to the TV in addition to the receiver somehow? If so, what type of cables?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Your situation is really pretty simple. First, you don't really need that coax splitter. Just run the coax directly to the DVDR (DVD recorder,) and then run coax from it to your TV. The DVDR's coax out is just a pass-through, so, you'll maintain a stronger signal that way, w/o a splitter. This will allow your DVDR to tune one channel, while your TV tunes another.

Run the HDMI outs from your DVDR and BluRay player to your AVR.

Run HDMI out from your AVR to your display's HDMI1 input, as you have done.

Run the optical audio out from your display to your AVR's input, as you have done. You will need this to hear the DD audio when you are using the TV's tuner.

I don't see any reason you would need composite from your AVR to your display, that's just crazy. You would need that only if you had a VCR plugged in to your AVR.

This hookup will accomplish all of your goals.

Addendum:

To watch your DVDR, or BluRay player, select HDMI1 on your display. Select whichever you want to watch with the AVR's selector.

To watch something tuned on your display's (TV's) tuner, select TV, and then, to hear it on your AVR, select whatever the optical input you used for your TV is called. If you have an input on your AVR labeled "TV," and it can accept optical audio, use that to connect up your TV's audio.

Note: don't expect as good sound from your TV's tuner as you get from your DVDR, or BluRay player. In fact, if you aren't recording with your DVDR, tune the channel you want to watch with it, and watch with it, not your TV's tuner, and you should get much better audio.

If you ever do get that HD cable box, then, use your splitter to send coax to it, and run its HDMI out to your AVR. You may also want to run S-Video and R/L from the cable box to your AVR, and then S-Video and R/L audio out from your AVR to your DVDR's inputs, to record scrambled channels.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you have 2 HDMI on your TV use one for the 515 and two for the Blu-ray. You can still hook up the Digital RCA/Optical from both the 515 and the Bluray up to your Onkyo for the sound. You should not use the Onkyo as a HDMI switch unless you really need to.

With the digital audio RCA/Optical out from your TV, you may not even need to select the Bluray or 515 on the Onkyo. To be on the safe side though having the sound coming from both the 515 and blue ray direct is part of the equation. While it is true that the Onkyo can also get the digital sound off of the HDMI signal, you run into the fact that the video is also taking a detour to get to your TV. For normal TV viewing the sound coming back from the TV to the Onkyo is all you really need.

You mentioned that the picture quality was not that great going through the Onkyo from the 515. That is why going straight from the 515 and the Blu-Ray via HDMI may eliminate that. If you ever add any more HDMI units you can move HDMI 2 from the TV and then use the Onkyo as your HDMI switch.

You also do not need the Cable splitter. You can go into the 515 and back out to the TV just fine. Sometimes the signal is too strong and then people split the signal to weaken it some.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you for responding to my post. I found it interesting that one of you said to hook the blu ray and DVR into the TV and the other said to hook it into the receiver which is exactly the conflict I"m trying to resolve...LOL Is one solution better than the other? Will both of these solutions work for the goals I stated?

Timtofly - want to make sure I understand a few things. You are saying to connect the TV to the receiver with just the digital optical cable? No other cables between the TV and receiver?

Also, you said I can still hook up the Digital RCA/Optical from both the 513 and the Bluray up to the Onkyo for the sound. As the Onkyo's digital optical (out) jack/port is currently connect to the TV, are you saying to connect the BlueRay to the Onkyo's digital optical (out) port and connect the DVR to the Onkyo with component or SVideo cables as I never heard of being able to run 2 optical cables into one optical jack/port?

If that's not what you're saying, the only other option is to unplug the digital optical cable running from the TV to the Onkyo (in) port and connect the Blu Ray and DVR to the Onkyso's digital optical (in) port/jack. If I do this, then there are no cable connection between the receiver and TV at all. That seems kinda weird but to this newbie anything is possible i guess!

Finally, you said to use HDMI cables to connect both the blu ray and DVR directly to the 2 HDMI ports/jacks on the TV. By not connecting the TV to the receiver via HDMI, this leaves both HDMI -1 and HDMI-2 ports on TV open for blu ray and DVR so I don't need the HDMI splitter either, correct?

If I take out the coax cable splitter, will I still be able to watch one TV show while I'm recording another?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbawc View Post

Your situation is really pretty simple. First, you don't really need that coax splitter. Just run the coax directly to the DVDR (DVD recorder,) and then run coax from it to your TV. The DVDR's coax out is just a pass-through, so, you'll maintain a stronger signal that way, w/o a splitter. This will allow your DVDR to tune one channel, while your TV tunes another.

Run the HDMI outs from your DVDR and BluRay player to your AVR.

Run HDMI out from your AVR to your display's HDMI1 input, as you have done.

Run the optical audio out from your display to your AVR's input, as you have done. You will need this to hear the DD audio when you are using the TV's tuner.

I don't see any reason you would need composite from your AVR to your display, that's just crazy. You would need that only if you had a VCR plugged in to your AVR.

This hookup will accomplish all of your goals.

Addendum:

To watch your DVDR, or BluRay player, select HDMI1 on your display. Select whichever you want to watch with the AVR's selector.

To watch something tuned on your display's (TV's) tuner, select TV, and then, to hear it on your AVR, select whatever the optical input you used for your TV is called. If you have an input on your AVR labeled "TV," and it can accept optical audio, use that to connect up your TV's audio.

Note: don't expect as good sound from your TV's tuner as you get from your DVDR, or BluRay player. In fact, if you aren't recording with your DVDR, tune the channel you want to watch with it, and watch with it, not your TV's tuner, and you should get much better audio.

If you ever do get that HD cable box, then, use your splitter to send coax to it, and run its HDMI out to your AVR. You may also want to run S-Video and R/L from the cable box to your AVR, and then S-Video and R/L audio out from your AVR to your DVDR's inputs, to record scrambled channels.

kjbawc - Can you help me understand why plugging the HDMI cables directly into the AV receiver might be better than the connection setup suggested by timtofly given my goals as both solutions sound good but I'm way too much of a newbie to really understand the full implications of connecting the bluray and DVR to the receiver rather than the TV?
Old 12-21-2010, 02:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflick View Post

If I take out the coax cable splitter, will I still be able to watch one TV show while I'm recording another?

Direct-connect to coax is best for the Mag and your TV since the Mag has an amplified coax passthru. Many people comment that their plain-TV-watching pic is better going thru the Mag's amplified coax passthru. This delivers the signal to both the TV and the Mag's tuner w/o the -3.7dB loss of signal that a 2-way splitter introduces.

Direct-connect feeds both your TV's tuner and the Mag's tuner separately so you can record one channel while watching a diff. channel on the TV.

Only time a Mag user would want to use a splitter is if there's a cable box involved that is used to order PPV/VOD shows thru the box (the extra-per-show-cost goodies not included in your normal cable sub.).

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Direct-connect to coax is best for the Mag and your TV since the Mag has an amplified coax passthru. Many people comment that their plain-TV-watching pic is better going thru the Mag's amplified coax passthru. This delivers the signal to both the TV and the Mag's tuner w/o the -3.7dB loss of signal that a 2-way splitter introduces.

Direct-connect feeds both your TV's tuner and the Mag's tuner separately so you can record one channel while watching a diff. channel on the TV.

Only time a Mag user would want to use a splitter is if there's a cable box involved that is used to order PPV/VOD shows thru the box (the extra-per-show-cost goodies not included in your normal cable sub.).

Well it looks like I will definitely be removing the cable splitter as all three of you agree on that! Thanks so much for chiming in and if you have other comments about whether it's better to connect the bluray and DVR to the AV receiver or to the TV given the goals in my original post, they would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-21-2010, 02:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:

Well it looks like I will definitely be removing the cable splitter as all three of you agree on that! Thanks so much for chiming in and if you have other comments about whether it's better to connect the bluray and DVR to the AV receiver or to the TV given the goals in my original post, they would be greatly appreciated!

On the receiver, I can only tell you how I use mine... as an audio enhancer for playback of normal shows recorded on my Mag (I'm a little hard of hearing, esp. from mumblers), and for playing comm. movies from DVD where the DD5.1 audio enhances a scary movie like Hitcher, etc.... scares the bejeebers out of you!

I connect one of my three Mag/Philips DVDRs direct to my 47" 1080p HDTV via (1) digital composite YWR (gets my best pic for normal TV or recorded shows from my Broadcast Basic analog cable feed), (2) Component RGB, and (3) the Mag 2160 with both digital YWR and with HDMI for the commercial movies.

Here's some added description of my setup with some notes on how I use/set HDMI and audio from TV to receiver for normal shows, plus coax digital from the Mag to the receiver for comm. movies.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

kjbawc - Can you help me understand why plugging the HDMI cables directly into the AV receiver might be better than the connection setup suggested by timtofly given my goals as both solutions sound good but I'm way too much of a newbie to really understand the full implications of connecting the bluray and DVR to the receiver rather than the TV?

The only possible reason NOT to cable as I have described is if you have "handshake" problems with running HDMI through your receiver. Such problems are rare with DVDRs and BluRay players, but are common with cable DVRs, and there are workarounds. Any quality modern AVR can switch HDMI fine, without degrading the picture. And that includes your Onkyo.

To cable as timtofly suggests, you would need three selectable optical audio inputs on your AVR, one each for DVDR, BluRay, and TV optical audio out. If you have that, you can cable that way. But, if you have any other video sources feeding into your AVR, you won't be able see those, since you would need an HDMI selector to be able to hook up and see the video output of your AVR, and you're right back to switching HDMI. Cabling my way is simpler, makes selecting your source simpler, and uses your AVR as it was designed to be used.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
First we heard that there was a 515 hooked up through the Onkyo via HDMI with video issues.

I suggested going straight to the TV with the HDMI and using the Digital RCA to the Onkyo for sound. Then a Blu-ray was added. Since the TV has two HDMI in, then it is still possible to avoid using the Onkyo as a switch, but still using the TV itself. I did try to point out that if a third+ HDMI unit was added, the Onkyo would have to be used as a HDMI switch.

If the TV has digital audio out either RCA or optical, then the sound from the TV can go into the Onkyo and it's TV option. Choosing TV as a source with the Onkyo will allow the ability to hear whatever the TV is playing on the Onkyo. While it may be possible to use only the digital sound out from the TV to the Onkyo in any setup, having a sound connection from each unit directly to the Onkyo may avoid problems.

It is also possible to use the Onkyo as a HDMI switch and just use 3 HDMI cables and be done with it, but the handshaking issue will have to be delt with. The Onkyo will have to be on and in use all the time.

Hooking the 515 and Bluray up to the TV directly will provide the choice of using the TV for sound and give the Onkyo a break, or use the Onkyo whenever the extra sound bonus is needed.

Your Onkyo has two digital RCA inputs and two digital Optical inputs. From what I can find, your TV and the Blu-ray uses an Optical out and the 515 uses a RCA out. #1 optical is associated with game. #2 optical is associated with TV / CD. #1 RCA is associated with BD/DVD. #2 RCA is associated with CABL/SAT. Connecting directly to the TV and running separate audio is do-able except the Optical from the Blu-ray is accociated with Game.