Recommend a Dual Layer DVD recorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-24-2010, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It needs to also have at least one S-Jack input and the abililty to record premium channels without flagging copyright protection. I am replacing a Sony RDR-GX255 DVD recorder which flags protection on premium channels on Direct TV. I also have a Samsung which does not.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-25-2010, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Current Sony DVDRs are about as bad as it comes AFA copy protection issues. If you need DL recording capability then I'd suggest the Panasonic EZ-28 or tunerless EA-18. Either will record to DL and only fail to record if your source is truly CP'd. If your source is CP'd then something like this will allow you to record anything and is quite inexpensive. That device should also allow your Sony to record, if CP is it's only issue.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-27-2010, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
It would help to know why exactly you are blowing money on DL discs in the first place: these are "special purpose" and not the greatest choice unless absolutely necessary. Are you using them strictly to get more running time out of your recorder? If so, you're better off with a Magnavox MDR515 DVD/HDD recorder: doesn't do DL media, but does have an internal 500GB HDD which can hold up to 150 hours at SP speed. This provides virtually unlimited day-to-day recording capacity: you can later divide very long programs on the HDD then quickly dub to two SL discs. If you don't do much recording, and just want to snag the occasional very long movie onto a single disc, then as jjeff says the only serious DL recorder options are the Panasonic EA18 and EZ28.

Your Sony model is among the worlds most notorious for trigger-happy paranoid copy protection symptoms, real and imagined. The Magnavox and Panasonic models are more stable, but note they WILL still comply with anti-record signals if DirectTV transmits them (and DirecTV does sometimes transmit them). Your only guarantee of never being stumped by that is to install a filter box like the one referenced in jjeffs reply. In your particular case of wanting to record premium channels off a subscription satellite service, buying the filter would be a better investment than buying another recorder. If your Sony is otherwise working well and burns reliably to the DL media you want to use, get the filter and solve your problems 100%. If you opt for another recorder, odds are you will still need the filter sooner or later anyway- you'd just be stalling the inevitable. Premium channel + satellite decoder = anti-record signals, and all recorders made after 2006-7 are more compliant than older models (which often shrugged off those lockout signals).
post #4 of 11 Old 01-03-2011, 07:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Actually, this is more what he needs. Since it is out of Israel, Macrovision has not been able to hound them out of business.

http://www.xdimax.com/grex/grex.html

For CP content I use an old Pioneer 510 or an older Liteon 5000 series recorder as those don't recognize the flag.

I seem to be acquiring lots of old hardware in the past little while. I was bemoaning the fact I couldn't find any decent working Beta decks to transfer my aging collection to disc and then found 2 working Super Betamax units within 2 weeks of each other. Now I can get back to work...
post #5 of 11 Old 01-03-2011, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm also questioning the use of the Monoprice converter. I see nothing that suggests it does CP filtering.

Doug's suggestion is more on target.
post #6 of 11 Old 01-03-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
I'm also questioning the use of the Monoprice converter. I see nothing that suggests it does CP filtering.
I believe jjeff actually tested one, and it did work. I think he suggested that one because it was the cheapest thing out there that did the job.

Otherwise, we usually recommend the Grex, DPX-7000 or Video Filter Stabilizers around here.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-03-2011, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
gastrof;19754733]I'm also questioning the use of the Monoprice converter. I see nothing that suggests it does CP filtering.

The MP converter WILL strip CP,but these converters are a mixed bag. Some units give good PQ results and sometimes they barely work at all. Unfortunately i bought one and suffered disasterous PQ results. They certainly are the CHEAPest ones out there and maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones to buy a properly working unit. Buy one,try it out,if it doesn't work return it. Just remember that when buying this particular unit the old adage "buyer beware" really,really does apply. BTW there are MUCH better converters out there but they DO cost $$. If your ONLY reason for buying one is to strip CP then Rammitinski's suggestion about buying a video filter is the way to go,but if you want to preserve the OAR of whatever you record,then you will need the Comp.vid > c/s vid. converter. G.
post #8 of 11 Old 01-03-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Actually I think Ramm was trying to say(and I agree) the MP converter is by far the cheapest CP remover available. I think the next cheapest official DVD/PPV CP remover would be closer to $100 or more. VHS filters are much cheaper and can be found closer to $30 but they will NOT remove digital CP.
Note to use this device as a CP remover your source needs to have a component(3 video wires) output, unlike official CP removers that rely on composite or S-video for inputs. Of course the MP device outputs S-video or component, to feed into our DVDRs.
If I didn't already have several Sima CP removers(that give me a fair amount better quality) I'd probably have kept the MP converter. As it is I don't really need the component to S-video feature and don't really need another filter, so I returned it.
If you're quite particular about PQ you may not be happy with the MP filter but it will only cost you ~$10 (shipping both ways) to try it. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder
post #9 of 11 Old 01-03-2011, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by greaser View Post

If your ONLY reason for buying one is to strip CP then Rammitinski's suggestion about buying a video filter is the way to go,but if you want to preserve the OAR of whatever you record,then you will need the Comp.vid > c/s vid. converter. G.

Doesn't the "Video Filter" preserve the widescreen flag - or no?

I know they claim something along those lines in the website specs, but I don't know if by "preserve" they mean actually pass it through to the recorder in the correct aspect ratio.

The Monoprice might still have the overall edge for the OP, though, based on features, price point, etc. (provided the PQ is satisfactory for him).
post #10 of 11 Old 01-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
[QUOTE=Rammitinski;
(provided the PQ is satisfactory for him).

That's the million dollar question. Will the MP converter give satisfactory PQ? If the OP is at all fussy about PQ then he may very well be dissatisfied with the MP converter. Even jjeff concedes that his Sima video filter gives better results. In fact,when i got stuck using the Lenkeng converter (which is what the MP converter really is) i HAD to use my Sima ct-2 between the converter and my DVDR to get anywhere near an almost viewable pic. W/O the filter all i got was a mess.
I guess the solution is to at least TRY the MP converter. If the guy likes it,great! If not, he can return it and buy a video filter and he'll only have to eat the shipping charge for the converter. Either way it's cheaper than buying another DVDR,and still have the CP problem.
post #11 of 11 Old 01-04-2011, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Doug's suggestion is more on target.

I have a Lenkeng converter, a Monoprice converter, and a $349 list Audio Authority converter. Unlike many, I had no problem with my Lenkeng. My MP converter, presumably also made by Lenkeng even though it is a bit different, also works well, and has a bit better PQ, now that I have had a chance to use it a bit. Both definitely strip copy protection, even from DVDs.

My AA converter has a yet bit better PQ, but has some idiosyncratic problems of its own. I haven't tried to strip CPRM with it.

I recommend trying the MP converter, and seeing if you are happy with the results.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page