Postings of used HDD DVD Recorders deals - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 563 Old 01-07-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Thought I'd try something and see if it catches on, similar to our Media Deals This Week thread.
I'd like to make it for HDD DVR Recorders only since they are more in-demand and harder to come by.
Since these deals tend to go fast just be aware that links may be invalid shortly after posting.
It will be interesting to see what deals are available in markets different than out own. Craigslist.org is a good resource but other online deals should be OK.
It would also be nice if the posts are really deals and not the occasional Ebay $999 outrageous posting, although if the thread starts slipping away I guess those are fun too.
I'll start it off with this classic Toshiba, it looks like a XS series and looks to be a great deal for those vintage Toshiba collectors.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...147798623.html
Personally I probably won't be posting many Panasonic HDD deals, I'll probably grabbing those for myself

P.S. It's probably against forum rules to use this thread as a classified to sell your own DVDR, I think we already have such a forum at AVS but I guess if you list it somewhere else and it's a deal I don't see how it would hurt to post a link here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 563 Old 01-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Toshiba RD-XS35 HDD DVD Player/Recorder - $50
HDD 160GB
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...088441564.html

LITEON Harddrive/DVD recorder - $100
Near new conditions, 250gb hard drive
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...147649590.html

LG -DVD PLAYER/ RECORDER - $150
LRH-790 250 GB HARD DRIVE
Future shop was selling new in box LG recorders for $199 durring the Christmas holidays so this is not such a deal.
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...146084766.html

I'd just like to point out that this person is asking more money than the new in box recorders at futureshop YIKES!
HDD Recorder - $225
RH398HM 250 g hard drive
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/pm...138150314.html

A couple of Sony HDD DVRs for waaay too much $$$

Sony RDRHX715 $325
DVD Recorder with 160 GB hard drive
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nv...140467785.html

Sony RDR-HX900 (160 GB) $495
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...140135392.html
post #3 of 563 Old 01-07-2011, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

WOW! I thought my $70 Toshiba was a good deal, $50 is really a steal(if you're into older Toshibas that is).
I'm jealous of how many HDD DVDRs you have access to! I'm lucky to see one a week and generally only one at a time. Although I suppose Vancouver is a larger market that Minneapolis/St. Paul, for sure a prettier city
post #4 of 563 Old 01-07-2011, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

WOW! I thought my $70 Toshiba was a good deal, $50 is really a steal(if you're into older Toshibas that is).
I'm jealous of how many HDD DVDRs you have access to! I'm lucky to see one a week and generally only one at a time. Although I suppose Vancouver is a larger market that Minneapolis/St. Paul, for sure a prettier city

How about expired postings? I saw this one a few months back, but it was picked off quickly. Bad burner, but hey it's cheap...$10!
LL
post #5 of 563 Old 01-08-2011, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sure, expired listings still give us an idea of what things are going for. It's just I didn't think people would still have access to listings once they expired
It looks my listing must be of a XS-32, even though it doesn't say it looks exactly like yours that says XS-32. I have a XS-35 and I knew it wasn't one of those, even though the remote looks very similar. I like how they suggest, "may just need cleaning" still if it worked and one just wanted to timeshift $10 is a steal for a vintage XS.
post #6 of 563 Old 01-08-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:

Sure, expired listings still give us an idea of what things are going for. It's just I didn't think people would still have access to listings once they expired

I used the Print Screen key to keep a snapshot of the posting at that time, in case I need to haggle on price with someone who has the same item in the future.
post #7 of 563 Old 01-08-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I've purchased one used Panasonic DMR-EH50 HDD/DVD recorder through Craig's List:

8/6/2010 Panasonic DMR-EH50 HDD/DVD recorder $50 (little used by original owner, performs as new, in daily use since purchase, mainly producing a weekly TY master DVD of Glenn Beck TV programs at LP for duplication by a CopyPal with free distribution on Sunday afternoons.)

You won't believe a $20 DMR-EH50 in Eugene Oregon, see the attached photo.

I would go for this myself but it's sure to be gone by the time I could establish contact with the seller and rearrange my schedule to drive that far down the Willamette Valley.
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #8 of 563 Old 01-08-2011, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

You won't believe this DMR-EH50 in Eugene Oregon:

http://eugene.craigslist.org/ele/2133614564.html

I would go for this myself but it's sure to be gone by the time I could establish contact with the seller and rearrange my schedule to drive that far down the Willamette Valley.

Truthfully though, whenever I've seen something that cheap I have a hard time getting a hold of the seller Especially when it's been around as long as that one(since Dec 28 '10) more than likely the seller has not taken the time to remove it(after it sold) or it's someone who gets a kick out of lots of people emailing them
I tried emailing someone on Craigslist multiple times who had a working EH-75v listed for something like $20, it remained listed for about a month and I never did get a reply
post #9 of 563 Old 01-08-2011, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Truthfully though, whenever I've seen something that cheap I have a hard time getting a hold of the seller Especially when it's been around as long as that one(since Dec 28 '10) more than likely the seller has not taken the time to remove it(after it sold) or it's someone who gets a kick out of lots of people emailing them
I tried emailing someone on Craigslist multiple times who had a working EH-75v listed for something like $20, it remained listed for about a month and I never did get a reply

I just emailed the seller concerning my interest and provided my number. We'll see what happens. More later...

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #10 of 563 Old 01-08-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Craigslist and others have been increasingly used by people who want to meet on an item for sale (buying or selling) just to rob them! One person was killed.

Buyer beware if they want to get "up close and personal"!
post #11 of 563 Old 01-08-2011, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Craigslist and others have been increasingly used by people who want to meet on an item for sale (buying or selling) just to rob them! One person was killed.

While that is of some concern(a few years ago in my suburb a young girl was killed, lured by someone on Craigslist advertising for a baby sitter). I've actually walked in the same area near the old RR tracks where she was dumped Knock on wood, everyone I've met has been very nice and professional. Although just to be sure, before entering someones house I stash my wallet in my vehicle and bring in only enough cash for the sale. I'd also be leary about entering a area like N. Minneapolis(bad part of town(sorry N. Mpls)) but luckily people that have HDD DVDRs tend to be in the more affluent areas of town Apartment dwellers tend to like to meet in the lobby in which case I'm kind of at the mercy of the seller AFA how well it works. Sometimes their is a TV in the lobby to hook it up to but other times I can only verify it turns on and loads a DVD.
If I were looking to buy something very popular like a Ipod or such I'd be more worried about scams. As obscure as DVDRs are hopefully scammers would leave us alone
post #12 of 563 Old 01-08-2011, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Another one just popped up.
Toshiba 160GB HDD & DVD Video Recorder - $100
http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/va...150340048.html

Quote:

I suppose Vancouver is a larger market that Minneapolis/St. Paul, for sure a prettier city

I don't know jjeff, if you include all the suburbs of Minneapolis - Saint Paul and compare the population against the metro Vancouver area, I'd say the twin cities has an over all larger population count. Metro Vancouver is around 2.2 million. I believe you guys are well over 3.2 million. From all the pictures and videos of Minneapolis that I've seen, I'd have to say that your area is extremly pretty. One thing you can keep is your winter weather. Way too cold for this Canadian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Seller beware as well! A guy broke up with his fiance, put the expensive engagement ring for sale on craiglist and was murdered in his apartment. Cops said it was defenently a fake craiglist buyer who killed him.
post #13 of 563 Old 01-10-2011, 06:14 PM

One of the rare Pioneer DVR-560H-K HDD/DVD recorders up on craigslist:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/bn...154117254.html

Plus a Panasonic DMR-EH50:

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/drh/ele/2134592526.html

Each one costs $150.00, way cheaper than eBay.
post #14 of 563 Old 01-10-2011, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You won't believe this DMR-EH50 in Eugene Oregon...

I would go for this myself but it's sure to be gone by the time I could establish contact with the seller and rearrange my schedule to drive that far down the Willamette Valley...

I just emailed the seller concerning my interest and provided my number. We'll see what happens. More later...

Today I took a road trip from Portland to Eugene Oregon (to beat the coming snow storm) to purchase this DMR-EH50 advertised on Craig's List.

Cleaning the DVD Drive laser lens and rubber hub comes before setting up this DMR-EH50. The routine cleaning procedures are described in detail in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

With a DMR-EH50 there is a metal tab overhanging the DVD Drive lid requiring a few extra steps, see the attached photos. I removed the case cover and the front panel. Then I removed the DVD Drive mounting screws at the right, left and at the rear. Then I moved the DVD Drive just a little to the left, removed the DVD Drive lid screws, removed the DVD Drive lid, and cleaned the laser lens and rubber hub. Then I reassembled this DMR-EH50.

I expect to set up and configure this DMR-EH50 tomorrow. More later...
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #15 of 563 Old 01-11-2011, 05:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Man the Vancover area sure is a hotbed of DVDRs sales, I'm jealous
Digado, I see the seller took the original posting off CR, wasn't it something like $20? I just remember it was a great deal and am again jealous I'd love to start swapping out some of my HDD less ES-15's. The EH-50 I have hooked to Comcast is going to get filled quite quickly with TCM recordings starting 7pm tonight. As you probably know they are going to have a Laural and Hardy marathon and next week they'll be having a Harry Langdon/Little Rascals & Charley Chase shorts marathon. I'll probably have to use LP to fit it all on my now clean HDD. Gotta love TCM
post #16 of 563 Old 01-11-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Digado, I see the seller took the original posting off CR, wasn't it something like $20? I just remember it was a great deal and am again jealous I'd love to start swapping out some of my HDD less ES-15's. The EH-50 I have hooked to Comcast is going to get filled quite quickly with TCM recordings starting 7pm tonight. As you probably know they are going to have a Laural and Hardy marathon and next week they'll be having a Harry Langdon/Little Rascals & Charley Chase shorts marathon. I'll probably have to use LP to fit it all on my now clean HDD. Gotta love TCM

I've attached a photo of the original Craig's List ad in an earlier post.

Yes, the DMR-EH50 was listed at only $20 but the seller was so gracious to hold it for me that I gave him $40 even though that's only a fraction of what it's worth to me.

The seller used it primarily as a DVR in the Anchorage Alaska area but hadn't set it up with the move to Eugene Oregon. The hard drive had the concluding hour of the Elton John Red Piano concert from NBC, some Monk TV shows from USA, Olympics dance skating performances from NBC and a few other recordings including CSI episodes.

The DVD Drive was very clean when it was opened for the routine cleaning. I snapped several reference photos of this EH50.

I've just completed setting up this EH50 in my bedroom. It's now configured pretty much the same as my first EH50, except it's temporarily receiving it signal from a Comcast Pace DC50X DTA. I've yet to record anything.

Yes, TCM is showing lots of classic Hal Roach material this month. I recorded the first 24 hour portion of the Little Rascals/Our Gang marathon last Tuesday/Wednesday and the Laurel & Hardy 24 hour marathon is set to be recorded later today and continuing on Wednesday. The Little Rascals/Our Gang and Laurel & Hardy marathons are being recorded by my new Magnavox 515 with long recording blocks (Rascals at LP and L&H at SP) with back-up recordings with Panasonic standard models in four hour long LP recording blocks.

post #17 of 563 Old 01-11-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I've been checking Craigslist a bit lately, and there's rarely ever anything near this interesting and unique on it around me.

I'll see an old SD TiVo once in awhile - even to be given away free, but that's about the best it ever gets.
post #18 of 563 Old 01-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Don't forget that (except the Magnovox) Canada had new in box HDD DVD recorder sales longer than the United States. The main reason - there is no law or mandate in Canada dictating to the manufactures that all units with NTSC tuners also need to have an ATSC tuner. That's why Pios and Sony's with HDD stayed around a lot longer. Of course the manufactures couldn't justify building units only for small population Canada. Another factor for sales is that NTSC is still active in Canada - both OTA and Cable.

That said, it seems that used DVDR/HDD sales on craigslist have picked up a bit. I'v been checking for a while and it seems a little busier after the new year.

I was actually thinking of checking out the Pio 560 that em-t-wallitt posted a link to but I see it's already gone.
post #19 of 563 Old 01-11-2011, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
. The EH-50 I have hooked to Comcast is going to get filled quite quickly with TCM recordings starting 7pm tonight. As you probably know they are going to have a Laural and Hardy marathon...
They are showing ALL of the L&H talkie shorts that Hal Roach made, all 40. I expect to have them all in SP on 8 discs, in chronological order.
post #20 of 563 Old 01-12-2011, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

7pm Tue.-7pm Wed.(central) I'm taking advantage of Panasonics full res LP and will fit all 24hrs on 6 discs. My only complaint is it seems like Panasonic only allows 8hrs max/title. I've never ran into this limitation before but I seem to remember the Maggys allow 12hrs/title. I guess every brand has it's good and bad points
post #21 of 563 Old 01-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
7pm Tue.-7pm Wed.(central) I'm taking advantage of Panasonics full res LP and will fit all 24hrs on 6 discs. My only complaint is it seems like Panasonic only allows 8hrs max/title. I've never ran into this limitation before but I seem to remember the Maggys allow 12hrs/title. I guess every brand has it's good and bad points
24 Hours on 6 disk = 4 hours per disk. It seems it would be easier splitting an 8 into two parts as opposed to splitting 12 into 3 parts. Most episodes are only about a half an hour to forty-five minutes. You are going to get more than four titles on a disk, meaning you have to split them down even further. Just saying.
post #22 of 563 Old 01-15-2011, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

I bought my second Toshiba RD-XS35 from this guy a couple of years ago and it's worked flawlessly since.

Yes, Virginia, even the burner.
post #23 of 563 Old 01-15-2011, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hey, good deal! Tempting, since I don't own any Tosh's.

I see a "TVGOS" symbol on the remote, so I'm assuming it has an IR blaster, too. Nice to have.
post #24 of 563 Old 01-15-2011, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yes the XS-35 has the IR blaster just like the Pannys. The XS-35 really has great recording quality(best I've seen up to MN3.2 I believe, 2hrs 20 minutes) and very nice disc creation options. To me it's one flaw(and a major one to me) is it's noticeable drop in resolution(to 1/2 D1) on anything longer than MN3.2. Because of this mine sits basically unused If I didn't have all my Pannys and liked to swap unfinalized DVDs(and RAMs) between them, I'd probably be using it daily
It was kind of a mistake buying it(Craigslist $120) but with what I got it for I can't argue. I bought my second EH-55 from the same guy(for the same price) so I kind of figure I got a almost new EH-55 for $220 and a free XS-35
post #25 of 563 Old 01-15-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, I'm just talkin' I guess, because I really don't "need" it.

Not with an EH55, an RDR-HX900 and an E85H sitting in a closet unused right now.

Might be good for someone else around here, though.
post #26 of 563 Old 01-16-2011, 04:16 PM

Another Toshiba recorder for $75.00. Might be an RD-XS32, since it's the only model I'm aware of that has an 80 GB drive.

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rd...163658205.html

Here's an LG RH398 recorder for $150.00. Anyone wanna take a chance?

http://victoria.en.craigslist.ca/ele/2107666089.html

A Panasonic DMR-E85H for $150.00.

http://nanaimo.en.craigslist.ca/ele/2163905684.html

A Polaroid DRA-01601A for $50.00.

http://kamloops.en.craigslist.ca/ele/2141455919.html
post #27 of 563 Old 01-16-2011, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My gosh the deals just don't stop in B.C.
I recent listing in the MSP area, IMO $180 is a little high for a EH-50 but it's a nice recorder and doesn't have the black level issues like the intl. Pannys.
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ws...163652729.html
post #28 of 563 Old 01-16-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a DMR-EH50 for "OBO $1" ??? I called three days in a row and left voice mail messages and then emailed. The seller responded to the email, had lost his phone and been out of town. In the meantime the DMR-EH50 had been sold. But the ad is still in place:

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/ele/2156232496.html

post #29 of 563 Old 01-16-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:

Here's a DMR-EH50 for "OBO $1" ???

I've seen a few craigslist postings that advertise $1 as the price. Maybe that's the default value that craigslist uses when you post an ad. Or just a gimmick the seller uses to get you to look at an ad you normally wouldn't check.

Would be nice to get an HDD recorder for $1.
post #30 of 563 Old 01-17-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by em-t-wallitt View Post
I've seen a few craigslist postings that advertise $1 as the price. Maybe that's the default value that craigslist uses when you post an ad. Or just a gimmick the seller uses to get you to look at an ad you normally wouldn't check.

Would be nice to get an HDD recorder for $1.
I always thought it was a scam to get you to look but once you read the listing it generally tells the real price, which is generally quite a bit more than $1 I see them frequently, but not so much with dead items like DVDRs, generally more with hot things like Ipods and such.
Like most everything else where you can save money, scammers reside too I generally don't even bother replying to those $1 ads but other than giving out your email I don't see how it could hurt. I use a generic Juno email but that's gotten me in trouble too, one guy said he didn't respond to my repeated emails because his spam filter put my emails in his junk folder A week later he was looking though that folder and noticed my repeated emails and was nice enough to email me to say what happened Just a lesson for anyone else.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Toshiba , Panasonic

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page