Panasonic DMR-EZ28 disk drive repair? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-20-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It looks like my Panasonic DMR-EZ28 DVD drive is shot. It would have been two years old next month. That would have been its born-again birthday. The Panasonic repair facility in Elk Grove Village, IL revived it from its "HELLO" coma in February of 2009. I bought it new January 21, 2009.

When I try to play a disk I hear, "eeeeet...eeeeet...eeeeet...eeeeet....oooooot" where the "oot" is lower pitched than the "eets". The display says "UNSUP" then "POrT" (with the disk icon). On my TV I see the message, "This disk is incompatible." That same Panasonic DVD-RAM disk was working fine in the days and months prior. Tried another Panasonic DVD-RAM that was previously working and it fails in the same way. Ditto a new DVD-RW disk. It tried the spit-based spindle cleaning mentioned in this forum and it produced a couple of "No Disk" messages before the "UNSUPOrT" message came back. I also tried a laser cleaning disk from Wal-Mart and that did nothing. The unit always got its own shelf and when it was in a cabinet the back of the cabinet was open--this thing did not die a heat-related death!

Is there a home-brew fix? Some drive that can be swapped in for less than the $130 + shipping to the Panasonic Texas repair facility? I can't see throwing more than $75 away on a DVD-based system. I just need an OTA DVR. I have a Panasonic DMR-ES25 that's at least three years old and still works fine. But it only has an analog turner so it's hooked up to a converter box. And now it appears I have another tuner (the EZ28) that I can hook into the ES25. The ES25 has had tons of use converting my sister's VHS tapes to DVDs plus recording OTA broadcasts. That's why the EZ28 has been such a disappointment--the ES25 is a champ, the EZ28 is a chump!

Since the ES25 can handle my DVD burning needs, any ideas on a DVR? Tivo looks good but I only need OTA recording so the monthly fee is a non-starter. The only other non-DVD option appears to be a Channel Master CM-7000PAL DVR. Any opinions on the CM-7000PAL?

Bear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-20-2011, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_Bear View Post

It looks like my Panasonic DMR-EZ28 DVD drive is shot...
When I try to play a disk I hear, "eeeeet...eeeeet...eeeeet...eeeeet....oooooot" where the "oot" is lower pitched than the "eets"... It tried the spit-based spindle cleaning mentioned in this forum and it produced a couple of "No Disk" messages before the "UNSUPOrT" message came back. I also tried a laser cleaning disk from Wal-Mart and that did nothing... Is there a home-brew fix? Some drive that can be swapped in...

Since the ES25 can handle my DVD burning needs, any ideas on a DVR? Tivo looks good but I only need OTA recording so the monthly fee is a non-starter. The only other non-DVD option appears to be a Channel Master CM-7000PAL DVR. Any opinions on the CM-7000PAL?

Bear

Unless you manage to find another DMR-EZx8 or DMR-EAx8 series Panasonic parts machine (2008-2010 models) with a good DVD Drive you're out of luck. This thread addresses swapping Panasonic DVD Drives and compatibility considerations:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15031617

The best current products are the Magnavox 513 and 515 HDD/DVD recorders. These are sold new through the walmart.com website ($199 and $249 respectively). The first post in Wajo's sticky thread is the gateway to a wealth of information concerning Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12244086

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 7 Old 01-20-2011, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I agree with the Magnavox DVDR if you're OK with SD, with it's HDD it can be used like a DVR and you'd never have to use a DVD if you wanted. If you wanted to switch to HD then the CM 7000 is your cheapest solution. I don't own one but it seems people that own them seem to like them. If you have a station broadcasting TVGOS in your area, all the better, otherwise the guide is just PSIP.
Check this thread for a comparison chart of various DVRs as well as links to their official AVS threads. Note the CM 7000 is listed under it's previous name, the DTVPal DVR.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-23-2011, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
I ended up ordering a Channel Master 7000 PAL from crutchfield.com for $279.99 with free shipping. They had them on sale for $299.99 and the code "3A825" knocked off another $20. That's as good a deal as I could find. I hope this thing works out better than the Panasonic DMR-EZ28 ulcer-palooza!
post #5 of 7 Old 03-25-2013, 05:17 PM

Liked: 10
I had the same exact problems with the DMR-EZ28 Panasonic DVD recorder I had. It worked liked a charm for about 9 months. I recorded about 50 discs with it. Then it started developing disc format detection errors and making weird sounds in the process even though I was using the same disc band and model as before. Unfortunately, this series of Panasonics were one of the few that could record/play 8.5GB double-layer (DL) discs. Mine was purchased from Best Buy. Now the only items that can play the doubler layer discs it did successfully record are my Sony bluray player and the computer's DVD drive. I was shocked to have this problem with a Panasonic product. I'm now going to try the Toshiba DR430 tunerless DVD recorder that sells for about $100. Lots of good reviews. No double layer disc support but I'll live without it.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-25-2013, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron111 View Post

I had the same exact problems with the DMR-EZ28 Panasonic DVD recorder I had. It worked liked a charm for about 9 months. I recorded about 50 discs with it. Then it started developing disc format detection errors and making weird sounds in the process even though I was using the same disc band and model as before. Unfortunately, this series of Panasonics were one of the few that could record/play 8.5GB double-layer (DL) discs. Mine was purchased from Best Buy. Now the only items that can play the doubler layer discs it did successfully record are my Sony bluray player and the computer's DVD drive. I was shocked to have this problem with a Panasonic product. I'm now going to try the Toshiba DR430 tunerless DVD recorder that sells for about $100. Lots of good reviews. No double layer disc support but I'll live without it.

This post has basic diagnostic information for Panasonic DVD Drives and advice for routine cleaning procedures:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1055071/panasonic-2006-and-newer-dvd-drive-hub-spindle-cleaning-and-reassembly-complications/0_60#post_14479898

All my regular use Panasonic 2007-2009 DMR-EZ series recorders, including one DMR-EZ28, have been junked. They have been replaced with Panasonic 2005-2006 ES series DVD recorders and EH series HDD/DVD recorders, a 2009 EA series recorder or Magnavox 2160, 2160A and 5xx series HDD/DVD recorders.

The first post in Wajo's sticky thread is the gateway to a wealth of information concerning the Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/940657/magnavox-537-535-533-515-513-2160a-2160-2080-philips-3576-3575/0_60#post_12244086

I also own a Toshiba DR410 recorder (a 2008 version of the DR430) but I don't use it as a recorder as it's feature set is too limited when compared with other Funai built recorders (primarily the Magnavox and Philips brands). The Toshiba is used to play DVDs with the family viewing TV.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #7 of 7 Old 05-18-2013, 06:58 PM

Liked: 10
Hi, you can go to panisonic's web sight and download the firm ware for the ez28 to your computer then burn it to a cd and load the cd into to the ez28 and just wait it will go through it's mojo and then when it's done it will eject by itself. Everytime you hear that crazy noise you reinstall the firmware. I have burnt over 1500 dvd on my machine

Kevin
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page