Toshiba 670DVR/VCR Combo--VCR Issue - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-15-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Purchased Toshiba Combo DVR/VCR about 18 months ago. Had no problem viewing/recording to VCR Tape or to DVD-RW disc until recent hookup to a new Hi-Def TV with either composite or compnent cables (sorry guys I'm really ignorant). Not HDMI cables.

Bottom line: I can do everything with my DVR/VCR that I was able to do before EXCEPT Tape to VCR and then watch it after recording a show or sporting event.

I try to watch and the pic is way beyond "snowy" or "noise". Cannot adjust tracking at all to see the show recorded to VCR. Sound is good but pic has radical lines and waves running through it.

A part of me think I just have not configured things properly but everything else works good with the Toshiba combo. Discs record/display gorgeously. But not VCR tapes (note: shows/tapes I recorded BEFORE I got the hi-def are fairly viewable--snowy but adjustable via tracking..shows I try to record to VCR after the hi-Def hook-up are not really watchable).

I called Toshiba, the tech said the unit is really two different units in one and it sounded like (to her) the "VCR either needed cleaning OR was broken". 18 months old. Out of warranty (of course).

Any chance of troubleshooting this with my garbled info?

Thanks folks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-15-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAESQ View Post

Purchased Toshiba Combo DVR/VCR about 18 months ago. Had no problem viewing/recording to VCR Tape or to DVD-RW disc until recent hookup to a new Hi-Def TV with either composite or compnent cables (sorry guys I'm really ignorant). Not HDMI cables.

Bottom line: I can do everything with my DVR/VCR that I was able to do before EXCEPT Tape to VCR and then watch it after recording a show or sporting event.

I try to watch and the pic is way beyond "snowy" or "noise". Cannot adjust tracking at all to see the show recorded to VCR. Sound is good but pic has radical lines and waves running through it.

A part of me think I just have not configured things properly but everything else works good with the Toshiba combo. Discs record/display gorgeously. But not VCR tapes (note: shows/tapes I recorded BEFORE I got the hi-def are fairly viewable--snowy but adjustable via tracking..shows I try to record to VCR after the hi-Def hook-up are not really watchable).

I called Toshiba, the tech said the unit is really two different units in one and it sounded like (to her) the "VCR either needed cleaning OR was broken". 18 months old. Out of warranty (of course).

Any chance of troubleshooting this with my garbled info?

Thanks folks.

Your Toshiba is manufactured by Funai as are many other brands, Magnavox, Sylvania, Philips, Emerson, PYE, Symphonic and others.

Funai VHS mechanisms are of delicate construction prone to malfunctioning and failure.

As your older tapes may still be played but don't perform well the most likely remedy is to clean the VHS mechanism tape path. Jeff has addressed tape path cleaning here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post17816637

If there were to be a complete failure to record to VHS after implementing a new connectivity scheme, I would speculate that you're setting up recordings to the wrong input or you're not selecting the correct input with the TV remote control.

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 7 Old 02-15-2011, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

I'm off to troubleshoot and/or consider a cleaner for the VCR.

Waja describes an improper connection--it was made by Comcast not me-- that would seem to be a possibility because as stated everything else works fine with this fairly new combo.

I can even watch a recently recorded VCR show except for the severe wavey lines.

I'll check the connections and get a basic VCR cleaner.

Any other suggestions also welcomed. Thanks again....
post #4 of 7 Old 02-15-2011, 03:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Sorry, I deleted my post. Just to clarify, I suggested checking the connection on the back and make sure you're watching a VCR tape thru the YWR connections from the DVD/VCR side on the back panel, not any of those on the DVD side.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-15-2011, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter

I saw your response then went back to write down what you suggested then couldn't find your (deleted) response!!!

Thanks for taking the time to come back and explain. Whew!!

Of course now I have to ask what are "YWR" connections???? Sorry.....
post #6 of 7 Old 02-15-2011, 04:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 137
If you look at the back (facing you), the connections on the right side under "DVD/VCR" have White/Red/Yellow RCA connectors (top to bottom) on left for IN, and on right for OUT.

Connect a White/Red/Yellow set of RCA video/audio cables from those OUT connectors to your TV, then select that TV input to view a playing tape.

Might work?
post #7 of 7 Old 02-15-2011, 04:39 PM

I have a Toshiba dvr670 and recently switched from an old analog TV to a new Sony HD TV. It is hooked up to Charter analog cable via splitter then connected to the TV with red/white/yellow plugs. There are two spots on the back of the TV for red/white/yellow plugs, but found the setup only worked when the plugs went to "Video 1." So my suggestion would be to try connecting your plugs to different spots in the back of the TV.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page