Panasonic DMR EH69 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 73 Old 02-15-2011, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I just joined today and am not to savy on how to use this equipment. The manual is like a phone book. I have it running out of my directv box and then to the TV. I would like to know how to use the play back portion. They say I can pause it and then play if I have to do something.In general how easy is it to operate ? Told you I wasn't savy.....go easy on me LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 Old 02-16-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 58
That's a pretty general question. I have mine set up with my DirecTV receiver just like you. I use a DVR, not just a receiver. I don't use the timer record function, so I'm not sure exactly how that would work. When I want to record something, I use the DVR to playt back the title in question, then I press PLAY while it's recording and all the functions work as expected. I can (using the proper function) even put chapter marks in the title while it's recording.

Using the timer record, I don't know if this will work the same way or not.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #3 of 73 Old 02-17-2011, 02:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Welcome to the forum.

I don't have the EH59 or 69 (I would like to), but I do have a couple of E100H, a EH85, and a couple of EH55's, so I'm assuming the EH69 doesn't behave that much differently. I have found the manuals good; there's a lot of info for a powerful machine, so take it one step at a time.

Playback, and Pause. To Pause, you have to have the program recorded, or be in the process of recording.

So, you have the audio and video connections made to Line In 1, 2, or 3 from the output of the Receiver. I use the S-video connections. Then Line Out video and audio to the TV. The single cable coax won't pass the signal from the dvdr (EH69).

1. Power On the EH69.

2. Press Record.

3. Press Play. Starts from the beginning of the recording.

4. Press Pause as desired.

5. Press Pause again (or Play, I didn't try that one) to resume play.

6. Press Stop to stop the playback.

7. Press Stop again to stop the Recording.

To expand the explanation a bit. On the EH55, pressing Record a second time sets a 30-minute timer; the machine will turn itself off after 30 minutes. Press Record a third time and the timer is set for 1 hour. Keep pressing the Record adds an hour to the timer, up to a maximum of 6 hours, then pressing Record again cancels the timer. It is a neat and quick way to watch something that you want to watch but have to leave before it finishes. When you set the timer in this way, the display shows the time till Stop, 30 minutes, 29, 28,...

And I make extensive use of Timer Recordings.

Oh, if you press Pause in Record mode instead of Play mode, you'll Pause the recording process, like during promotionals, etc.

When you get to the editting phase of your project, I would strongly urge using Panasonic's powerful Playlist feature; it makes no changes to the source program on the hdd (hard disc drive) in case of "oops", and avoids fragmenting the hdd for every Shorten Segment.

Good Luck, and have fun. The first Playlist you edit will be the only tough one.
post #4 of 73 Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
[quote=RichardT;20018992]

When you get to the editting phase of your project, I would strongly urge using Panasonic's powerful Playlist feature; it makes no changes to the source program on the hdd (hard disc drive) in case of "oops", and avoids fragmenting the hdd for every Shorten Segment.

QUOTE]

As one who does a fair amount of editing, mostly by dividing, on my EH55, I admit I never tried using Playlist. How exactly do you use Playlist to edit?

Thanks.

"The truth is out there!"
post #5 of 73 Old 02-17-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post
How exactly do you use Playlist to edit?

Thanks.
Again, a pretty broad question.

If you chapterize your title, when you go to the playlist screen and select the create playlist "blank thumbnail" it gives you a list of titles at the top, you can select a title and then the middle row of thumbnails has the chapters in that title. This allows you to only include in the playlist the chapters you are interested in by selecting the chapters you want.

If you don't chapterize the title, or just prefer it, you can select the title and put the whole thing in the playlist. Then you select chapter display, and chapter create, and chapterize your playlist as much as you like. This does NOT alter your original title. When you return to the chapter list page, you can delete the chapters you don't want, again, this does NOT alter the original title, just the playlist.

When you have the content you want, you can then select a thumbnail for the playlist, and title it. You can then copy the playtlist directly to a blank DVD.

This is a simple explanation, but the playlist feature is very complex and flexible, allowing you to change the order of chapters, duplicate them, or cut them up in many ways. Example: I was archiving the episodes of Fraggle Rock, and they were cut for time. Half the opening song was deleted! One episode was shorter then the others, and it had the entire theme song, the only episode out of nearly 100 that had it unaltered. Well, I was able to mod all of the episodes by inserting the proper theme from that one episode into the front of every one of the episodes, before burning to DVD-Rs -- using playlists. Others have recorded programs liks the Grammy's and made a chapter of each song, then arranged them in different order than they were broadcast for archiving.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #6 of 73 Old 02-18-2011, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

Luke's explanation illustrates one of the grand powers of Playlists: the ability to combine segments from multiple titles (programs or files) into one that will go out as one title on the dvd. For those that have not used the Playlist, let me be very basic. You must first know or decide what title(s) you want to work on. I do not divide my titles into chapters, as Luke describes; that's what the Playlist is for!

From a blank screen, press the FUNCTION button (right side of the circle surrounding the ENTER button).
Press the UP arrow (one click gets you to OTHER FUNCTIONS), press ENTER.
Move the arrow down to PLAYLIST and click ENTER.
Move to the CREATE and press ENTER.
From the top row, highlight the desired file, or key in the three digit file number. With the desired file on the top row highlighted, press ENTER.
Then down to the bottom row and press ENTER. You should now have the file appearing in the bottom row. At this point I press RETURN to disengage the file references unless I want to select more files. This will also take you out of Playlist mode, so you'll have to FUNCTION --> OTHER FUNCTIONS --> Playlist to get back into Playlist mode.
The first thing I do when back into Playlist mode it to name the Playlist,
Press SUB MENU --> EDIT --> Playlist Name.

Now you are ready to start editting, the fun part. Fun, as in easy and enjoyable.

Press SUB MENU, Up arrow to get to Chapter View, then select Create Chapter, and have at it.

Note- before Deleting any chapters, I usually Copy the Playlist, so I don't have to recreate the Playlist and all the chapter points if I "oops":
Exit the Chapter-Create mode, SUB MENU, UP arrow to PLAYLIST VIEW, SUB MENU -->
EDIT --> COPY

This stuff is a whole lot easier to do than to explain. After you go thru the procedures a couple of times, you'll become quite comfortable working with it. The beauty of working with Playlists is that you don't have to be so fearful of making a mistake. If you make a colossal error, with the source intact, you can always start over.

I think one of the reasons much of this is not more popular is that the functions are buried two or three menus deep.

The manual I think is quite good and helpful, but . . .

A couple of pointers-
1. Each playlist results in a title on the dvd. Playlists and titles can be mixed when selected for the Copy List (Panasonic's terminology).

2. To select a Playlist when making up the Copylist, press the "B" button (second row from bottom on the EH55 remote. To return to Title selection, press "A".

3. Playlist chapter points and thumbnails are retained on the copy if high-speed, lost if real-time copy.

4. To copy Playlists, the Advanced Copy from the Other Functions menu must be used.
post #7 of 73 Old 02-22-2011, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Luke and Richard, thanks much. The EH55 is even more amazing than I already thought.

post #8 of 73 Old 02-22-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT View Post

...I do not divide my titles into chapters, as Luke describes; that's what the Playlist is for!

Agreed, but if I chapterize the title WHILE I am recording it, the time saved is worth it. Since I don't EDIT the titles, just chapterize them, I am "safe" from mistakes. Also, this way I don't need to make extra copies of my playlists, "just in case."

Another similar use was when I was making recordings of "Have gun--will travel" from the westerns channel. I (stupidly) let a lot of episodes pile up in my DVR (80+ or so!). One of the times I like to do is to have a "title card" before each recording, so I used the group play to record the episodes (12 per "title" on the hard drive" and then I made title cards for each set of twelve (in a different title of course) and then, using playlists, appended the title cards to the front of the episodes. It was dedious to keep track of that many episodes in tht many titles, with that many title cards, but it was doable, and it worked well. Without playlists it might have been darn near impossible.

I don't let them pile up any more.

Luke

post #9 of 73 Old 02-22-2011, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

No argument, Luke. This just illustrates further the power and flexibility of the EH55. Create the chapters where it gives the most advantage. If I use the same title in multiple playlists, I might not want the same chapter breaks in different playlists. But as you pointed out, there are times when setting the chapters in the title is most useful.

My point was/is: try the playlists, play with them. I have a lot yet to learn, but enjoy what I have been able to use.

Can't wait to hear their reactions when users "Phrase Save" the first time, even though I do envy the full 44-character save on the EH69.
post #10 of 73 Old 02-23-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardT View Post

No argument, Luke.

Can't wait to hear their reactions when users "Phrase Save" the first time, even though I do envy the full 44-character save on the EH69.

Agreed, no argument!

The phrase entry process is very tedious, so phrase save is almost always, "This is GREAT!" [Tony the Tiger voice]. I know that was my reaction.

Luke

post #11 of 73 Old 03-17-2011, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

One more question - I thought I read somewhere that the EH55 can create chapters automatically without having to manually (tedious) create them in a title. I often record full length movies off cable and burn to DVD-R, and being able to easily insert chapters would be convenient. Right now I just burn the DVD without bothering, but being able to search for chapters would be nice when playing back the DVD. So do you guys know if and how to automatically (and painlessly) create chapters with the EH55?

post #12 of 73 Old 03-17-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I don't know what you mean exactly. If you do a real-time copy, the EH55 will automatically make chapters every fice or six minutes. The EH59/69 has an auto chapter mode, but it's a mess and not worth using at all.

The way I chapterize movies is to go to the chapter view page, then select chapter create. I press the fast forward button four times, and watch the time counter box. Every ten minutes that flys by, I press the chapter mark button. No, it isn't nice selected chapter points, but it's workable.

A few of the commercial DVDs I have bought have chapter marks in incorrect and stupid spots, so I made copies and rechapterized the content properly.

In TV shows, it's a bit easier because when you remove the commercials, you are left with the chapter marks in the correct places. I usually chapterize the shows as I watch them, saving time and tedium.

Luke

post #13 of 73 Old 03-17-2011, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

One more question - I thought I read somewhere that the EH55 can create chapters automatically without having to manually (tedious) create them in a title. I often record full length movies off cable and burn to DVD-R, and being able to easily insert chapters would be convenient. Right now I just burn the DVD without bothering, but being able to search for chapters would be nice when playing back the DVD. So do you guys know if and how to automatically (and painlessly) create chapters with the EH55?

Not using HS on the EH-55(unless you want to do it after the recording like Luke does). It's another benefit to the EH-59/69, it has the option for automatic chapter creation similar to the Magnavox 2160A or variants. I also don't bother with chapters on my EH-55 but do use that option on my EH-59.
post #14 of 73 Old 03-17-2011, 05:23 PM
Advanced Member

As already stated, a real-time copy such as FR will generate a chapter point about every 5 minutes.

A high-speed copy will copy the chapter points from the source. I use the Playlist function, and any chapter points set in the playlist as well as the thumbnail are carried forward to the dvd in high-speed copy.

Also, the chapter points are carried to the hdd when doing a dvcopy from a camcorder.
post #15 of 73 Old 03-17-2011, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 93
To tell the truth I've NEVER done a realtime burn on my EH-55(or EH-50 or EH-59 for that matter) I always first record to the HDD in a speed that will allow a HS copy to DVD. If I want to do a realtime burn I use one of my much cheaper ES-15s(which also automatically add chapter every ~5 minutes) and save the laser time on my HDD recorders Nice to know the HDD models will also create chapters on a realtime burn but I doubt I'll ever do that.
post #16 of 73 Old 03-19-2011, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

To tell the truth I've NEVER done a realtime burn on my EH-55(or EH-50 or EH-59 for that matter) I always first record to the HDD in a speed that will allow a HS copy to DVD. If I want to do a realtime burn I use one of my much cheaper ES-15s(which also automatically add chapter every ~5 minutes) and save the laser time on my HDD recorders Nice to know the HDD models will also create chapters on a realtime burn but I doubt I'll ever do that.

Yes, I too record everything on the HDD and then do a HS burn to DVD-R. One reason I do that is so I can remove unwanted crap at the beginning and end of the movie since I typically do the HDD copying unattended and have to allow plenty of time, which results in network promos etc. at the end. I never see chapter breaks unless created when I remove commercials. I guess doing what Church does would work. Most pre-recorded DVDs have chapter breaks at convenient times, such as a scene change. Duplicating that manually would be very tedious but the only way to really do it.

Thanks guys for the good advice.

post #17 of 73 Old 03-21-2011, 02:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Most pre-recorded DVDs have chapter breaks at convenient times, such as a scene change. Duplicating that manually would be very tedious but the only way to really do it.

Hey, you're in control; set the chapter points where you want them.

Example: I've been asked to record special pastoral seminars that come in over the satellite. I record to hdd, eliminate unwanted stuff at the beginning and/or end, then I set a chapter point at the beginning of the special music and at the beginning of the lecture. Set the thumbnail, and high speed copy to dvd. The viewer has to press "skip" only once or twice to get to the lecture.

To get to other parts of the program, the viewer can use the "fast forward" option on the player.
post #18 of 73 Old 03-21-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 51
The chaptering options of various recorders has probably been the single most controversial topic on this forum over the years, but IMHO its always been overblown and exaggerated and today is completely moot if you're in the market for a new "high-end" DVD/HDD recorder: your choices are the Panasonic EH69, or adapting yourself to the Magnavox MDR515. Most previous Panasonic owners are not terribly fond of the Magnavox: while an excellent machine in its own right, it is missing several key exclusive Panasonic features owners have become used to. So that narrows your choice of machine to just the Panasonic EH69.

The "auto-chapter-on HDD-during-recording" trick available on the Magnavox and a handful of older recorders is not as convenient as its cracked up to be. If recording a movie or show with commercials, the auto-created chapters inevitably collide with edit points where you'll delete the commercials and create a possible HDD crash or problem dubbing to DVD. If recording from a commercial-free channel, odds are some auto-chapter points will still collide with beginning and end trims you'll want to make, and the remaining ones will end up in odd annoying places. Some people just get spoiled beyond the pale and expect the recorder to do absolutely everything for them: remember, not that long ago VHS recorders did NOTHING for us but make a linear recording with no chapters or quick scene access at all.

Putting in manual HDD chapters the way ChurchAVGuy suggested is really not that tedious or time consuming: I can't believe the fuss people make over this. On a typical two-hour HBO movie or live camcorder event, I can trim the beginning and end and manually put in multiple chapter points at key scenes in about four minutes flat. Repeating events like church services have predictable points where you'd always want to put a chapter mark: its remarkably easy to use the jump buttons on the remote to get to exactly those spots and pop in a chapter mark, takes under two minutes in most cases to custom chapter each recording. With movies I haven't seen, I just hit the jump button to skip in ten-minute chunks, entering a chapter point each time- takes 2-3 minutes. Anything with commercials gets chaptered by the recorder wherever we delete the commercials anyway, if you don't delete them its pretty quick and painless to use the fastest search speed to look for them and tag them. I don't know about the rest of you, but I spend much more time agonizing over exactly what frame to choose for the thumbnail than I ever do on chaptering- I can chapter a recording while talking on the phone, it's just not that big a deal.
post #19 of 73 Old 03-21-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

The chaptering options of various recorders has probably been the single most controversial topic on this forum over the years...

Sorry, but this is an correct, or a great exaggeration. it is in no way the MOST controversial topic.

I used the autochaptering option once or twice, but it placed a chapter mark everywhere a fade to black happened, which meant a LOT of chapters where I never wanted them. It did not work for me very well at all.

Luke

post #20 of 73 Old 03-21-2011, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Sorry, but this is an correct, or a great exaggeration. it is in no way the MOST controversial topic.
Fair enough, how about "most highly charged and subjective topic"? All I can tell you is my eyes glazed over, rolled back in their sockets and popped out of my ears a few years back when nearly all brands altered their chaptering features and the forums lit up with repetitive complaint posts. I could paper the walls of the entire Chrysler Building with just the posts whining about how Pioneer "ruined" their chapter feature when they updated the DVR-520 to the DVR-530.
post #21 of 73 Old 03-22-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I do remember those posts about the change in chapterizing features. I never had or used Pioneer DVD recorders, so I mostly skipped those.

Luke

post #22 of 73 Old 03-25-2011, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

In case anyone cares, there is a price alert anomay. The three sources I usually check for availability of the international Panasonics are B&H, JR, and W-I. All of them claim to have the EH59 and EH69 in stock at the moment, BUT, the lease expensive machine is an open-box EH69 at B&H. At $320, this EH69 is less than any of the (new) EH59s. It seems odd. If you are really patient, and observant, B&H occasionally has an open-box EH59 for $250 to $260, which is a very good price. Usually these open-box items are returns that people never understood or could figure out, so they are new, just opened. I have had two such machines from them and I've been happy with both of them.

Luke

post #23 of 73 Old 03-26-2011, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As a long-time recorder of films on my DVD recorders (EH80 and EH55), I'm not sure why one would record chapters for full-length films unless it is solely to avoid editing with shortening titles to eliminate commercials. With rare exception I record from almost always from TCM or my paid HBO channel (but only occasionally from the latter) for eventual dub to DVD-Rs (and then solely from TCM films for my older-movies collection), and neither insert commericials into their broadcasts (so far). Why would one want to break up full-length feature films into chapters?
post #24 of 73 Old 03-26-2011, 02:40 PM

Well, I might want to break my previous post into chapters to insert "l" into "fims".
post #25 of 73 Old 03-26-2011, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mohundro View Post

Why would one want to break up full-length feature films into chapters?

Its one of those things about this hobby that makes no sense on the face of it. You're right, there isn't any inherent need for chapters in a film recorded from TCM. You must be a "left-brain-person" who can logically see there's not much payback for the effort of putting in those chapters, and comfortably choose not to bother. I suspect most of us here are "right-brain-people" who have a knee-jerk reflexive attitude of "if chapters are possible, I want them, waaahhhh...."

Chapters in movies only make total sense if its a movie you've seen before, and you want to tag your favorite scenes. Otherwise, we're left with the pretty threadbare reasoning of "well, I want to be able to skip around quickly" or "my recorder doesn't remember where I left off watching, chapters help me find my place quickly" or "my ingrate family and friends give me an attitude if I record things for them without putting in chapters." Last but not least, "I just want my DVDs to function as much like commercial Hollywood discs as possible". One can make a case for or against all of these reasons, but really none is an absolute dealbreaker. A lot of us tend get just a wee bit obsessive.
post #26 of 73 Old 03-26-2011, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I suspect most of us here are "right-brain-people" who have a knee-jerk reflexive attitude of "if chapters are possible, I want them, waaahhhh...."

That'd be me.

Quote:

A lot of us tend get just a wee bit obsessive.

That'd also be me.

I throw in chapter breaks mainly as a means of skipping through the disc quickly to get to a certain point without running my player on fast scan mode. Maybe it's a reflexive thing from the VCR days because doing a lot of fast scan was (1) not all that fast and (2) bad for the heads.

Most DVD players remember where you left off, so if I go back to finish a movie the next night, I often don't have to skip ahead at all. But a chapter break every 10 minutes give me some insurance if that doesn't work.
post #27 of 73 Old 03-27-2011, 01:01 AM

Thanks for the insights. Chapters might confuse a middle-brain guy like me. I do appreciate my DVD player's ability to remember my leaving-off place and usually depend on that, although I can generally remember over a day the minute (if not the second) stopping point from the day before.
post #28 of 73 Old 03-30-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mohundro View Post
As a long-time recorder of films on my DVD recorders (EH80 and EH55), I'm not sure why one would record chapters for full-length films unless it is solely to avoid editing with shortening titles to eliminate commercials. With rare exception I record from almost always from TCM or my paid HBO channel (but only occasionally from the latter) for eventual dub to DVD-Rs (and then solely from TCM films for my older-movies collection), and neither insert commericials into their broadcasts (so far). Why would one want to break up full-length feature films into chapters?
Well, I do it because I get interrupted occasionally when I'm watching, and putting a chapter mark every ten minutes allows me to find where I left off much easier than fast forwarding through the whole movie. It takes me less than three minutes to chapterize a film (based on time only) so it is hardly a big investment. I fast forward through the content using "Chapter Create" and watch the clock. Every ten minutes (ten seconds real time) I press "enter" and that's that.

Luke

post #29 of 73 Old 01-06-2013, 07:50 PM

Hello, I have a Panasonic DMR-EH69. I have it connected to a TV via a Comcast set top box. It is the latest Comcast set top box. When I go directly from the EH69 to my TV via a HDMI cable the EH69 works perfectly. When I attempt to go from the set top box to the EH69 via a HDMI cable I cannot get a picture. Is there something about the HDMI that eh EH69 does not like?
post #30 of 73 Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Advanced Member

Does the EH69 have HDMI input?
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page