Toshiba DR430KU DVD recorder - Chapters option not working - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-21-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My school bought this DVD recorder. I have been able to record a number of videos I made onto 1 disc but I want to divide them into chapters before finalizing the disc. The "Chapter" option under the Edit menu is greyed out making it impossible. I've tried it a number of different ways with no success. Any ideas? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-22-2011, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 80
This is a guess but until a Toshiba user responds you may want to try it. I believe in order to add chapters you need to format the disc is the VR mode. Default is probably the standard video mode. Once you've formatted a regular R disc(not RW) you cannot change it.
Note I think discs recorded in the VR format are rather non standard and you may have problems playing them on DVD players and even if they play the chapters may not show up, I stand to be corrected on this last paragraph but this is the way I remember it.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-22-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff53 View Post

My school bought this DVD recorder. I have been able to record a number of videos I made onto 1 disc but I want to divide them into chapters before finalizing the disc. The "Chapter" option under the Edit menu is greyed out making it impossible. I've tried it a number of different ways with no success. Any ideas? Thanks.

Hey, I was just checking out the editing features available on my Toshibas, b/c I was looking into the playlist editing feature, and wanted to check it out. I just a few minutes ago found out that, at least on my Toshiba models, the 'create chapters' feature isn't available on all disc types.

I have three Toshiba recorder models:

Standalone D-R550
Combo DKVR60KU
Combo DVR670KU (actually, I thought it was the non-KU model, but the manual says KU)

On all three of these models, creating chapters is only available on:
DVD-RW in VR mode
DVD+RW in +VR mode
DVD+R in +VR mode

So, if I used a DVD-RW in Video mode, or a DVD-R in Video mode, I wouldn't be able to create chapters.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-24-2011, 03:07 PM

Liked: 11
adding to the information on the 670 Toshiba....
ALL DVD types...you can create chapters at fixed time intervals, such as every 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc. Look under Recording then under Setting for Auto Chapter for instructions.

Only DVD+R/+RW in +VR mode and DVD-RW in VR mode: you can create chapters wherever you like...called Chapter Mark. Look under Editing then look under Setting Chapter Marks for instructions.

DVD-RW...you can set it to format in video mode or VR mode.
DVD-R......it automatically formats only in video mode.
DVD+RW/+R....it automatically formats only in +VR mode.

Video Mode is like a rental DVD...it should play in any DVD PLayer.
The DVD recorder you are using should play any DVD mode it
itself recorded. You can experiment with the other modes using the RW type DVDs so if they don't play right on other players, you can reformat them and use them again, using a format you know will play where you want it to play.
I have a Sony 5 disc Player that plays all of Toshiba's formatted modes, including the VR and +VR (I have read the +VR is close to the Video Mode so maybe that would play on any player also.)

I have not used the chapter settings yet so cannot give you instructions except to say where the instructions are in my Toshiba manual and by looking at your Table of Contents you may find the answers you need.

Hope this helps.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-08-2012, 10:49 AM

I just burned a DVD-R without using Auto Chapter marking. I guess there is no way to make Chapter Marks unless I use VR mode next time I make a DVD?
post #6 of 7 Old 01-08-2012, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
If there's an Edit menu, that's whee Chapter edit (add/delete) should be.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-08-2012, 03:58 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamsAutoAdvice View Post

I just burned a DVD-R without using Auto Chapter marking. I guess there is no way to make Chapter Marks unless I use VR mode next time I make a DVD?

It would help if you would say your model of DVD recorder.
This thread was originally started by one who had a Toshiba dr430KU and I had downloaded the manual for that one and saw it was the same as my DR560 and DR670. These Toshibas all show in the Manual you can set auto chapters for any kind of disc it shows it will record on. The trick is you must set up the chapter time setting BEFORE you record on the DVD.

In other words the Toshiba can do auto chapter on DVD-RW and -R in Video Mode or VR Mode (Video mode plays on more players).
It also can do it on DVD+RW and +R but these only record in +VR Mode.

If you do have a Toshiba 430 as this thread starter, the info is on Page 8 and 9 showing what it can do as far as auto chapter marks. On Page 34, it explains how to set up the auto chapter.....it is a setting of minutes, such as every 10 minutes, every 15 minutes, each. And it says it has to do this before any recording is done.

The reason why you may have gotten a greyed out area is because you said you already recorded on the DVD and if so and it is set up like the Toshiba, I would guess it is telling you by the greyed out area that the option is not currently
available. (because the DVD already has recordings on it).
You might try a DVD -RW in Video Mode as an experiment. That way, if you don't get what you want, at least you can format the disc again and use it over.

Hope this helped.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page