Burning a DVD from Verizon Fios DVR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-26-2011, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi .. I'm a newbie & appreciate your help. I'd like to burn some DVDs of recordings stored on my Verizon Fios DVR. I'd like the DVR recorder to be portable as I have two DVRs.

Would the Sony Diret DVD Recorder MC-6 work? And something I could connect easily?

Also would movies off Turner Classic typically be copyright protected or could i burn a dvd? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-26-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The Sony seems to be a nice unit but the few posts from users on AVS have been negative. Mostly due to Sony's incessant copy protection issues which errors on the side of restricting a recording(even if the source isn't actually CP'd). For this reason I'd strongly advise against getting that unit or any newer Sony DVDR. Don't take me as being a Sony basher, I have lots and lots of things Sony in my house(I love their players) just not Sony DVDRs.
From what I've read TCM should not be CP'd, but all bets would be off AFA using a Sony DVDR.
While not as portable as the Sony a recorder like the Magnavox 515(or any of it's older cousins) would be a much better choice. Check Wajo's top sticky for more on the Magnavoxes.
If you really have your heart set on the Sony, if you have a open set of component outputs on your DVR, something like this should cheaply remove any CP issues, although with a Sony one never knows
post #3 of 14 Old 02-26-2011, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPJ View Post

Hi .. I'm a newbie & appreciate your help. I'd like to burn some DVDs of recordings stored on my Verizon Fios DVR. I'd like the DVR recorder to be portable as I have two DVRs.

Would the Sony Diret DVD Recorder MC-6 work? And something I could connect easily?

Also would movies off Turner Classic typically be copyright protected or could i burn a dvd? Thanks

Turner Classic Movies does not copy protect their SD and HD feeds. Of course, TCM has no control over satellite and cable providers that might implement copy protection on their own.

I have Comcast Motorola DCH3200 and DCX3200 HD converter boxes and Motorola DCT700 SD converter boxes. I've recorded from TCM almost daily since 2005 with my Panasonic recorders; and since 2008 with my Magnavox and Philips recorders. I've home-recorded around 7,000 DVDs (mostly from TCM) without encountering "false" copy protection issues.

I've read many customer reviews of Sony DVD recorders. It's common to find complaints of Sony DVD recorders reporting copy protection where there is none, this more than with any other brand. It's best to avoid Sony DVD recorders.

As to the best current DVD recorders, these are the Magnavox HDD/DVD models, the 513 ($199.00) and the 515 ($248.00), that may be purchased through the walmart.com website.

The first post in Wajo's sticky thread is the gateway to a wealth of information concerning these outstanding products:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post12244086

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #4 of 14 Old 02-27-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks .. Any suggestions how to best hook up the magnovox dvdr given i will not use its hard drive capability and only will use it to burn disks from the verizon fios dvr. One of the dvrs I have is hooked up through my receiver and the other dvr is hooked up directly to my tv. Thanks.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-27-2011, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJPJ View Post

Thanks ...i will not use its hard drive capability and only will use it to burn disks from the verizon fios dvr...

The hard drive functionality is an immense improvement over direct-to-DVD recorders. Once one has used a HDD/DVD recorder one will realize that one can not do without this type of recorder.

Be sure to visit the first post in Wajo's sticky thread (linked in my earlier post) and start your research there.

For recording direct-to-DVD one can make do with used or little-used DVD recorders commonly found on Craig's List starting around $20. This thread gives some advice for purchasing Panasonic and Funai-manufactured DVD recorders through Craig's List:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1281815

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #6 of 14 Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
The Sony MC-6 was designed almost exclusively for use with camcorders, meaning it probably has even worse embedded copy restrictions than the already-bad regular Sony recorders. At minimum, you likely need another recorder. The question then becomes how much do you want to spend? If you seriously think you'd be happy with straight-across dubs from the FiOS box, with no control over what the resulting DVD looks like or how it plays, then pretty much any cheap recorder will be serviceable. Look for closeout sales at jandr.com or other websites for the cheaper Magnavox or Toshiba models with no HDD: there are a few "tunerless" ones that go for well under $100. Or, if you have a decent PC, just record to the PC using whatever DVD-making software came bundled with it.

In fact, it might be best to try the PC a few times before investing in anything else. Most programs require you record to the HDD first, then make a high-speed burn to the DVD drive (burns take 10-15mins). Being forced to use the HDD means you'll be exposed to the advantages of the HDD: you can put chapter marks where you want (to easily jump over or delete commercials), select a custom thumbnail image for each recording, and quickly do all sorts of other customizations that make the DVD worth the effort of bothering in the first place. After doing this a few times you'll either agree this is very nice or decide you really don't give a crap and just want a permanent copy to file away for the hell of it that you'll probably never watch.

If its the latter, I honestly wouldn't even waste time making DVDs: get an extra HDD for your PC that you can dedicate to being your "media library", and just make dubs from your FiOS HDD to the PC HDD in DiVX, AVI or MP4 format (MP4s will transfer to an iPod/iPad). If you don't expect to lend or give these recordings to other people, storing everything on HDD is the easiest cheapest way to go nowadays. Cheap DVD recorders wear out quickly because recording directly to DVDs in real time is hell on their burners: cheap lasers have only a certain number of useful burning hours so at two hours per DVD it adds up fast.

A DVD/HDD recorder like the Magnavox 513 ($199) or 515 ($259) splits the difference between PCs and cheap recorders. You dub from FiOS HDD to the Magnavox HDD, which allows control, editing and customization. You then use the Magnavox burner to make a high speed burn to DVD. A high-speed burn at 15 mins is much more efficient and accurate than a real-time direct-to-dvd burn from FiOS, and less stressful to the burner laser. If you think you'll be making a large number of FiOS backups, the most sensible choice is either PC file storage or a Magnavox DVD recorder with HDD. Recorders without HDD, like the MC-6, just don't work that well for this unless you spend for the expensive Panasonic EA-18, EZ-28 or EA-38 models (which cost as much or more than the Magnavox 513 anyway).
post #7 of 14 Old 02-27-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

Recorders without HDD, like the MC-6, just don't work that well for this unless you spend for the expensive Panasonic EA-18, EZ-28 or EA-38 models (which cost as much or more than the Magnavox 513 anyway).

From what I've seen, the EA-18 or EA-38 aren't available new anymore, and the prices for used or refurbished ones are obscenely ridiculous ($300.00 and up).

The EZ-28 can still be found around the usual price new, though.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-27-2011, 11:41 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again to everyone. I didn't think I could easily move content from the Verizon DVR to a computer hard drive. I have a relatively new PC. Do I need any specail equomnet/software otehr than what came on the computer to do this?
post #9 of 14 Old 02-27-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
It depends how "upscale" your new PC is. Some come with video/audio inputs, some don't. The ones that do usually include basic video recording and DVD creation software. PCs without video inputs can be upgraded with accessory cards or USB boxes, but then things get complicated because you're choosing hardware/software bundles on your own (great if you're an "expert", confusing if you're not). If your PC is not already equipped with video inputs and software, and you're not that interested in figuring this stuff out thru trial and error, skip the PC suggestion and opt for a DVD or DVD/HDD recorder.

You could try using your Sony MC-6, of course: it might be able to record some FiOS stuff. The MC-6 has a bad rep for being touchy with cable/satellite/FiOS, but every neighborhood is wired differently: your FiOS might not trigger the MC-6 protection circuit. TCM is usually OK to record, try it a few times and see if you get lucky. Just be on the lookout for the typical problem with direct-to-DVD recorders: you get 2/3 thru a DVD, and then the damn recorder decides the content is "protected' and refuses to go further. Each of these failures wastes a DVD and wears the recorder out making useless burns.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-27-2011, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
If you want to use your PC, you could use the hauppauge HD PVR model 1212. It is an external box and will record in SD or HD up to 1080i via component - SD via component or composite.

Just an option. One nice feature with it is the software, you can then copy to a DVD a bluray compatible disc. You can fit most HD movies onto a DVD and the longer ones on a DVD dual layer disc - depending on your recording settings.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-28-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I will probably eventually get one of those hauppauge boxes because I now have full HD on my cable and a basic nice Motorola non hard drive HD box that has just about every output option know to man.
I miss being able to at least archive the non HD channels that I used to be able to do with my Philips 3575. I can still do the locals in HD with my HDTV tuner card but everything else is now encrypted. Having cable I also might be able to get a cable card equipped TV card when prices and availability are better. I hate paying extra to do things that used to be included with my service so don't really want their DVR box and monthly bill. That box is around 200 or less and is a good option for those of us that don't want or can't get the gear to do HD and make disks backups, as long as you have component outs and a PC close enough to hook it all up.
post #12 of 14 Old 02-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
It works really well

I am using a samsung BD-5500 to play the files back off of the external usb hard drive, it only lists being able to do the .mp4 format (which when recording, the audio is out of sync) BUT I record in .ts format and all I need to do is change the file extension from .ts to .mp4 - audio is perfect when using the .ts recording.

So the bluray player plays my recorded files and netflix, as well as discs.

The plus to doing it this way vs. a computer is the computer doesn't need a whole lot of power to record BUT does to play a HD file. So a mediocre laptop should work fine.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-21-2013, 06:59 AM

Are you using the hauppauge to pull the recordings from the FIOS DVR?
Thanks, Mike
post #14 of 14 Old 02-21-2013, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
SUBJECT: FiOS DVR and/or STB to Hauppauge PVR-1212...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtlaf View Post

Are you using the hauppauge to pull the recordings from the FIOS DVR?
I use a Hauppauge PVR-1212, fed from a HD FiOS / Motorola 7100 STB, to create .TS files using the included Total Extreme 2 software on a Win7 laptop which I can then view on multiple Media Streamers. I usually just "Watch & Delete*, so I've never burned a DVD or ACVHD, but I do believe that it's possible...

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page