Finalizing without remote: Magnavox ZV450MW8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-02-2011, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I haven't posted three times, so I'm going to edit out the links to my "homework" of threads I've found here, the box's manual, etc. I'll add them once I'm up to three. (EDIT: Added links)

I just got a Magnavox ZV450MW8 from the local pawn shop for $18, but without remote. I've copied a VHS to DVD+R, but I can't figure out how to finalize without the remote.

Threads & info on finalizing and this player here (just to show I have looked around a bit):
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=985419
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1190657
FAQ: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...tcount=26#Dub8

Manual:
http://www.funai-corp.com/6pdf/om/ZV450MW8.pdf

I know I need the "Disc Edit" menu, but I don't know if there's a way to get there using just the buttons on the front of the unit. Any help? Worst case: Any good (cheap) universal remote that'd do the trick? Harmony doesn't do it, nor does the cheapie RCA RCR312WV.

It looks like there's no PC option:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1029010
http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/.../t-631751.html
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archi...t-1018118.html

Although there is a suggestion that Isobuster might do something. Unf, I'm on a Mac.

Remote online for $20 shipped.
http://www.emtcompany.com/magnavox-n...l/1009469.html

Don't know anything about that supplier, however.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-02-2011, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufwork View Post
...I just got a Magnavox ZV450MW8 from the local pawn shop for $18, but without remote. I've copied a VHS to DVD+R, but I can't figure out how to finalize without the remote.

Threads & info on finalizing and this player here (just to show I have looked around a bit)... Manual...

I know I need the "Disc Edit" menu, but I don't know if there's a way to get there using just the buttons on the front of the unit. Any help? Worst case: Any good (cheap) universal remote that'd do the trick? Harmony doesn't do it, nor does the cheapie RCA RCR312WV.

It looks like there's no PC option...

Remote online for $20 shipped...

Thanks!
For future reference for other readers I've offered some advice here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post20086787

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 13 Old 03-02-2011, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
post #4 of 13 Old 03-21-2011, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Remote online for $20 shipped.
http://www.emtcompany.com/magnavox-n...l/1009469.html...

Okay, I ended up grabbing a remote. EMTC didn't have it and issued a refund. Ended up getting it for $36 shipped. It's a shame, because I really only needed one button.

Is there a way that I can use a learning remote to post some identifying characteristic of that button's signal so that others can just type in a few characters rather than buy a remote that runs twice as much as VCR/DVD deck?

EDIT: I don't know anything about them, but perhaps this JP1 remote is what one would use?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...37#programming
post #5 of 13 Old 03-21-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Okay, I ended up grabbing a remote. EMTC didn't have it and issued a refund. Ended up getting it for $36 shipped. It's a shame, because I really only needed one button.

Is there a way that I can use a learning remote to post some identifying characteristic of that button's signal so that others can just type in a few characters rather than buy a remote that runs twice as much as VCR/DVD deck?

EDIT: I don't know anything about them, but perhaps this JP1 remote is what one would use?

For a time I experimented with a $9.74 Philips learning remote. I report my findings in a few posts beginning here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15172667

I soon came to the conclusion that it's easier to use the original remotes rather than trying to make one remote control everything. To avoid remote control clutter I keep my remotes in Taiyo Yuden cake boxes, as seen at the right in this photo:
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #6 of 13 Old 03-21-2011, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

For a time I experimented with a $9.74 Philips learning remote. I report my findings in a few posts beginning here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15172667

I soon came to the conclusion that it's easier to use the original remotes rather than trying to make one remote control everything.

Well, here, what I'd like to do is figure out if I can share what IR frequency (or whatever you measure IR by -- whatever it is that the learning remote actually learns) is required to get the "finalize" option up on the screen for this one deck. That is, if you don't have access to an original remote and/or don't want to spend the cash on it, but do want to finalize a recorded DVD, what's the least amount of information and hardware you have to have to get this done? I wasn't able to find codes for the Harmony remote, for instance, to control this deck, and my universal gave some functionality but didn't have the key I needed.

That's why I wonder if this JP1 remote might be the easiest way to get that done. Still don't know what the right "units" would be, though.

Thanks for the reply.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 37

Thanks for posting this. I only have one of the black remotes, every recorder since that came with the white remotes that have different button placement. I have never gotten used to them.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

A better solution is to find a nearby AVS member with the original remote for your recorder. That member might help you teach a learning remote all the commands you need.

Perhaps Funai Customer Support still offers the correct NB555 remote at reasonable cost, call 1-888-290-0871 or visit:

http://www.funai-corp.com/support/contact.aspx

The first photo shows the NB555 remote used with early production Magnavox ZV450MW8 recorders.

Once operational, early production Magnavox ZV450MW8 recorders have a peculiarity where the DVD Drive tray may not be opened when in the TIMER SET operation unless the recorder is powered on by pressing TIMER SET. The second photo shows that information found in a note on page 37 of the Owner's Manual.

The Owner's Manual is essential for finding one's way through that and other peculiarities. Yes, that Owner's Manual requires some study in order to understand how to use an early production Magnavox ZV450WM8. A PDF version may be downloaded here:

http://www.funai-corp.com/support/manuals.aspx

Be sure to select the Magnavox version of the ZV450. The Sylvania and TruTech ZV450 variations are built to different specifications and lack certain features found on the Magnavox ZV450MW8.

If you have a Magnavox ZV450MW8A (manufactured in 2008) be sure to download that version of the Owner's Manual as the early and later recorders differ in several respects. The later "A" version can be identified from the sticker on the back of the recorder, compare the third and fourth photos.
LL
LL
LL
LL

post #9 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Not really, no. Sometimes a "bargain" recorder is cheap for a reason, and there's no free lunch. The fact that you're on the Mac platform effectively locks you out of the few possible gearhead solutions: Macs are great for everyday and creative use, but the lunatic fringe stuff is really only available for Windows. Assuming you could borrow a Windows PC, and that you're Einstein's long-lost nephew, you might be able to hook up an IR reader and some arcane signal parsing software, point the remote at the computer, capture the DISC MENU pulse, and convert it to a file that can be loaded into a Harmony or JP1. Personally I wouldn't bother: its nice that you want to help other people in the same situation, but there are limits to how much effort you want to invest in being helpful.

There are other factors. Someone who spent $79-$249 on a Harmony is unlikely to be hitting pawn shops looking for an $18 DVD/non-HDD recorder, so you really don't need to worry about helping them. As far as the JP1 goes, thats a whole drama unto its own. There are several types of JP1, they're hard to identify, and the "good" ones that are most compatible with this kind of remote tinkering are discontinued: you have to find them second-hand or thru JP1 specialty suppliers. Programming them veers from easy-peezy to oh-hells-no: depends on the specific code and the computer you're trying to load from. There are a gazillion threads on this posted by owners of Pioneer DVD recorders who needed to fake the rare Pioneer Service Remote signals: most chucked the whole idea after spending weeks on it and just bought the damn remote for $80.

I understand your urge to help others, but it may be easier to just announce your availability to copy your remote pulses into a learning remote someone could send to you to program for them. All that requires is pointing the two remotes at each other and pressing a few buttons to copy over the necessary two or three finalizing buttons. I used to do this for people who needed the Pioneer service codes, until Sony made a service remote available for under $20 that anyone could afford.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

There are other factors. Someone who spent $79-$249 on a Harmony is unlikely to be hitting pawn shops looking for an $18 DVD/non-HDD recorder

Ouch. I took one in the side there! (but point taken)

Quote:

Assuming you could borrow a Windows PC, and that you're Einstein's long-lost nephew, you might be able to hook up an IR reader and some arcane signal parsing software, point the remote at the computer, capture the DISC MENU pulse, and convert it to a file that can be loaded into a Harmony or JP1...

Programming them veers from easy-peezy to oh-hells-no...

Yeah, the info I pulled up looked neat, but the remotes, when I checked prices, were $30 and up, and some required you solder onto the 7 pins. Neat if you've got one, but the numbers of folks with a JP1 and a Magnavox ZV450MW8 sans remote is probably a pretty small percentage.

Quote:

It may be easier to just announce your availability to copy your remote pulses into a learning remote someone could send to you to program for them. All that requires is pointing the two remotes at each other and pressing a few buttons to copy over the necessary two or three finalizing buttons.

Can do! I just hate feeling lock-in for something that we can, even if not easily, share with each other. Fight the corporate power and all that.

Thanks for the context. I was hoping you could tell a standard Harmony learning remote (something I've thought of getting a few times) to map code "AE0C34" to button 12 and be done. Oh well. Learned something new.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

Ouch. I took one in the side there! (but point taken)

Apologies for that, no snark was intended: absolutely nothing wrong with bargain hunting at pawn shops. I'm sure a few Harmony owners do, its just less likely.

Quote:

I was hoping you could tell a standard Harmony learning remote (something I've thought of getting a few times) to map code "AE0C34" to button 12 and be done. Oh well. Learned something new.

I think you can do such a thing, it just requires getting the correct code from Harmony. They have kind of a screwy system where you have to register your remote to gain access to the code library they provide online. Some people get around this by going to non-North American Harmony sites where codes are more freely available, but its still kinda tricky, and they don't have codes for everything. Depending on the specific Harmony model and who supplied the code files you need, the downloading can go well or really mess up the Harmony. It just one of those weird situations where if you're gonna blow beaucoup bucks on a system remote, it doesn't make sense to risk messing with it unless its to run a high-end AV setup. Best example again is the quest to fake the Pioneer Service Remote: many many people tried grabbing the code from an Asian Logitech site, loaded it into their Harmony, and wrecked it. It got to be such an issue that Logitech removed that code from most of their worldwide sites for awhile.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Apologies for that, no snark was intended: absolutely nothing wrong with bargain hunting at pawn shops. I'm sure a few Harmony owners do, its just less likely.

No no, even after the good-natured ribbing, it's a good point. I've determined the best place to find a used VCR when mine dies is the pawn shop. I wasn't looking for a VHS<>DVD dubber, but was excited when I found one. I'd been going to a library that has a deck attached to a PowerMac and pulling footage via Firewire. This is much lower quality, but sooooo much easier.

And still, $18+$36 isn't a bad deal.

But someone looking to record DVDs going to a pawn shop? Hrm... Probably not. A forest for the trees situation for me, I think.

Quote:

I think you can do such a thing, it just requires getting the correct code from Harmony. They have kind of a screwy system where you have to register your remote to gain access to the code library they provide online...

Interesting idea to go global. The ZV450MW8 wasn't found on Logitech's US site, but I didn't think to try anywhere else (ie, another country's site).

But, as you say, there's no real reason to pay $80 for the cheapest of learning remotes and then crack it when the real thing will show up on your door for $36. I was hoping for something as easy as "Point 'real' remote to learning remote. Learning remote learns frequency and displays the Disc Menu code on its LCD. Post code to AVS. Others type a few numbers and profit." I'm not sure *that* exists, short of the hard-core JP1 crowd and Einstein's nephew, etc.

Thanks again. And to be explicit, if anyone needs the codes from a ZV450MW8 and has a learning remote to pop in the mail handy... feel free to PM me.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-22-2011, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 318
This thread didn't catch my eye until now. But a JP1 remote could have easily solved your problem. Some can be found for as little as $1 (I know, I have a closet full of them). You need no special software, interface cables or programming skills. For anyone else in the same boat, here's what to do if you get any of the 54 JP1 remotes with the magnavox codes like the radio shack 15-100, 133, 134 or 135, or RCA RCRP05B, URC-8820N, URC-10820N, Atlas OCAP, etc:

- Press DVD or VCR, hold setup for 2 blinks, press 0675 (or 20675 depending on the remote)
- Hold setup for 2 blinks, press 994, tap setup, enter the appropriate code from the list below, press the button you want to assign a function to. Repeat for adding more functions. The basic functions like transport keys, numbers, menus and arrow will probably work without programming. If you have a model that takes 3 digit codes, just drop the 2 leading zeros from the codes below.

0 00038
1 00168
2 00166
3 00170
4 00037
5 00041
6 00039
7 00043
8 00036
9 00040
standby-on 00169
DTV/TV 00064