Magnavox 515 external set-up & PC questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-01-2011, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi to all,

I bought a mag. 515 about a month ago and I love it. I would like to say a quick thanks to wajo for posting that review on Walmart which led me here and to all the posters who contribute to the site.

1) I was considering externalizing the 515 with eSATAp (also known as Power Over eSATA) hdd enclosures. This would eliminate the need for an external power supply for the hdd enclosures. In order to save some money, I wanted to reuse the 3.5 hdd (Western Digital WD5000AVDS). I've found 2.5 enclosures and even docking stations with Power Over eSATA, but no 3.5. I was wondering if anyone here knows of any 3.5 eSATAp enclosures or can foresee any problems with using eSATAp?

2) A while back, there was a poster (dfw515) who was making a guide for externalizing the 515 (p.431 - I've actually read the last 50 or so pages of the main thread in a couple of days). In particular, he mentioned he found a way to run a cable out of the case without having to cut it. Has he posted his guide? Does anyone know how he was going to run the cable out?

3) This may seem to be in the wrong forum but there must be some posters who do something similar and others who seek the answers. The main reason I bought this recorder was to record Formula1 races. They're the only thing I actually want to keep. I plan to edit them and split them into titles so that I can burn them to dvd and transfer to the PC. Then I'd recombine them (maintaining the same quality) and store them on the pc for future use (i.e. burn to blu-ray discs, play them off a htpc to a tv, etc.). I've been experimenting with numerous programs to rejoin (without re-encoding the entire video) two sample videos I burned on the 515 but have had no success. I'd appreciate any suggestions on what programs people here use and what file format (i.e. mpg) they store them in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-01-2011, 12:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Welcome to the forum!

Here's the section of the HDD Upgrade help file on externalizing the HDD. The case connector PeterTheGeek used is shown there, along with a link to his post.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-01-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Here's an old help file on using a PC to edit DVDR titles. It provides lots of suggestions for PC-editing SW.
post #4 of 6 Old 04-02-2011, 02:25 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2040 View Post

Hi to all,

3) This may seem to be in the wrong forum but there must be some posters who do something similar and others who seek the answers. The main reason I bought this recorder was to record Formula1 races. They're the only thing I actually want to keep. I plan to edit them and split them into titles so that I can burn them to dvd and transfer to the PC. Then I'd recombine them (maintaining the same quality) and store them on the pc for future use (i.e. burn to blu-ray discs, play them off a htpc to a tv, etc.). I've been experimenting with numerous programs to rejoin (without re-encoding the entire video) two sample videos I burned on the 515 but have had no success. I'd appreciate any suggestions on what programs people here use and what file format (i.e. mpg) they store them in.

A better forum for info on video editing and DVD authoring on a PC is VIDEOHelp.com. There are plenty of threads, user guides, programs' reviews and links to download them.

In the wajo's old help file there is a lot of good info, however it is fragmented and some of it (specifically in the posts) is confusing and a bit inaccurate. First of all don't worry about +VR format. After you've High Speed dubbed your recordings to a DVD +/-R, -RW and finalize them or +RW (no need to finalize) you'll have a DVD video compliant disc with a VIDEO_TS folder on it. Any other folders there including VIDEO_RM are irrelevant for your purpose. On 515 do only minimal edits needed to fit your recordings on a disc, and do not mix different modes (HQ, SP and so on) on the same disc.
I use 4x +RWs Verbatims or Philips in my recorders (LiteOn 5045, Philips 3576 and Pioneers 460/660), example links: http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...-94834-30-pack and http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...-cake-box-25pk

Here is a basic outline what you need to do on the PC (assuming Windows PC):

1) Get a DVDDecrypter (free). Rip your recordings in IFO' mode to a PC's hard drive. You'll have one or more *.vob files, same number as titles on your dub.
2) Get a video editor, recommended Womble MPEG-VCR (trialware/payware $19) frame accurate, doesn't re-encode when not needed, saves files as MPEG-2 program stream (*.mpg) ready for authoring, and accepts other video files besides *.vob including *.vro. There are other good free editors but no frame accurate free one.
3) Get a dvd authoring program that supports multiple titlesets like DvdAuthorGui (free, pretty good) or MPEG Video Wizard DVD (trialware/payware $99), try it and if you like it catch it on sale for half price or less.
4) Get ImgBurn program to burn your authored dvds to discs of your choice +/-R Verbatims AZO or Tys, or Verbatim's +DL R. Don't use anything else for burning, ImgBurn is the best and free.

Magnavox recordings are SD and AFAIK it is not possible to put DVD Video compliant structure on Blue Ray disc, opposite is true though, HD material can be put on DVD in special format.

I guess you may have more questions, just post them here or on the other forum (you can PM me too).
post #5 of 6 Old 04-03-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Here's the section of the HDD Upgrade help file on externalizing the HDD. The case connector PeterTheGeek used is shown there, along with a link to his post.
That cable is for eSATA only. Being a relatively new thing-a-ma-jig, I thought I would clarify what eSATAp is and its possible applications to dvd recorders. I guess this post is aimed at the next newbie who comes along trying to do something similar. I figure most of the regular posters here are familiar with this. This is my understanding of SATA, so if there are any errors (more than likely), feel free to point them out. I never even heard of SATA or eSATA until I read the guides for externalizing recorders. The following is what 2 weeks of googling my brains out has produced. Hopefully your eyes don't glaze over.

SATA connections, like on the 515's hard drive (mine had a Western Digital Green Power WD5000AVDS, although another poster reported a Hitachi CinemaStar 5K1000 CE series), have 22 pins (15 for power + 7 for data). These are meant for internal connections and not repeated removal and insertion. According to Wikipedia, they have a design life of about 50 insertion cycles (of course, your mileage may vary). This is why I'm hesitant to use a docking station, and the vertical real estate it takes up. My original idea was to just use a 22 pin SATA cable to the hard drive (hdd) in a protective silicone sleeve.

eSATA (external SATA) is designed specifically for external use, over 5000 insertion cycles. However, only data (7 pins) is transmitted through this format. So if you have a docking station or hdd enclosure with eSATA, you still need to supply power to the station or enclosure from the wall socket.

eSATAp (Power over eSATA or eSATA/USB Combo) combines the data and power over a single 7 pin cable, similar to USB. Depending on the eSATAp device (i..e. hdd enclosure), it will require one of 2 voltages. 2.5 hdd enclosures use 5V, while 3.5 hdd enclosures and external optical drives use 12V. Thus, when connecting an eSATAp device, make sure to have the proper voltage rated cable. All of them are not the same. (Side Note: One nice feature of eSATAp ports is that they will accept eSATA and USB plugs, meaning you would only need eSATAp ports on your computer and still be able to use eSATA and USB devices. Laptops with eSATAp ports supply 5V and Desktops supply 12V.)

SATA 1/2/3 refers to the revisions in the SATA standard, similar to USB 1.0/2.0/3.0. All the revisions are compatible with past and future revisions (i.e. SATA 3 will decrease in speed to accommodate SATA 1). SATA 3 increased the bandwidth to 6,000 Mbits/sec from 3,000 Mbits/s. For comparison, USB 3.0 is 4,800 Mbits/s, an increase from 480 Mbits/s for USB 2.0. eSATA and eSATAp cables only support 3000 Mbits/s. I would assume the speeds through the cables will be increased with future revisions like USB has done. In regard to dvd-recorders, I don't think this is important, but at least you'll know what this means when searching for SATA products. My 515 hdd supports 3,000 Mbit/s (SATA 2) which every sSATAp enclosure I've come across supports. (Side Note: You may come across descriptions such as SATA 6 or SATA 6Gb/s. These are the transfer speeds. Just so you don't get confused: SATA revision 1.0 = SATA 1.5Gb/s, SATA revision 2.0 = SATA 3Gb/s, SATA revision 3.0 = SATA 6Gb/s)

To be continued
post #6 of 6 Old 04-06-2011, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

2) Get a video editor, recommended Womble MPEG-VCR (trialware/payware $19) frame accurate, doesn't re-encode when not needed, saves files as MPEG-2 program stream (*.mpg) ready for authoring, and accepts other video files besides *.vob including *.vro. There are other good free editors but no frame accurate free one.

Videohelp.com is where I initially went. I tried most of the recommended programs but I always had some problem. I finally got a chance to try Womble MPEG-VCR and it actually worked without problems. You just saved me 80 bucks. I was going to get TMPGEnc Authoring Works, once I figured how to stop it from re-encoding the entire video even in smart rendering mode. Thanks!!!
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page