Magnavox MDR515H/F7 Died???? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 39 Old 07-16-2012, 11:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am using a Magnavox DVD player/ tuner with months of perfect operation. Now it seems to be dropping the audio from some channels -- randomly. It's okay now but later it drops the audio. Another channel is fine, but when I return to the previous channel, it is still without audio. I may be okay later today or tomorrow.

To narrow down the source of problems, the player/tuner sends to my TV. When the TV (tuner) is operated without input from the player/tuner, there are no problems with audio. Removed/replaced cables from player tuner to AV receiver. Changed from optic to copper, without correcting the problem. Because normal operation generally returns at start up, heat must be factor.

Oh, when using the player/tuner for movies, there is no lost audio.

AV receiver that plays the audio from the player is fine with other sources of input.

Is it reasonable to suspect that audio could be dropped from random channels by the player/tuner?

Any suggestions for locating the problem OUTSIDE of the player/tuner?

*** Sorry, this is my first day on this forum, and I posted the above elsewhere before discovering this discussion about the MDR513H/F7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 39 Old 07-16-2012, 12:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeAVS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold Wills View Post

Have had 2 die with power surge. Second time with an expensive surge-protector. The only thing I have going for me is that had an extended warranty. And there is but one word for Funai - sucks!

I just had my 515 fail after a power outage. Symptom is that there is no time or any display on the front panel and the unit will not respond, even after leaving it unplugged for an extended period and then holding the front panel power button while plugging back in. Just looks completely dead.

I Googled this problem and found a solution on the Fixya site that said that there is a push button switch on the circuit board inside the 515 (and 513) marked "RESET" and that after pushing it the unit will function normally again.

As posted in the main Sticky thread on the Mag HDD/DVDRs on 7/9/12:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMikeAVS View Post

I just noticed that the instructions here say that the 515 must be unplugged for at least 2.5 hours before trying to revive a "dead" unit with the soft reset (holding the front panel power button while plugging back in until the display lights up). I had not read that before popping the cover and finding the internal reset button, so I do not know if my 515 would have been fixed by doing the soft reset procedure. I unplugged it for about an hour before trying the soft reset. rolleyes.gif

-- Mike

I wish you'd stop advising people to open their units to fix this "dead" problem!

As you stated in your follow-up THE FIRST TIME you posted this same complaint (shown in 2nd Quote above), there is a non-invasive way to revive a dead unit: it's a Soft Reset AFTER LEAVING a 515 unplugged for 2.5 hours or any other Mag/Philips unit unplugged for only 10 minutes.

Your Soft Reset failed because you didn't leave the unit unplugged long enough.

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #33 of 39 Old 07-16-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

eek.gif

See my post on the Ver02C FW update available from Funai for recurring 513/515 freezing (dead) issues.

eek.gif

PHILIPS HD DVRs | MAG/PHILIPS SD DVDRs* | DVDR/DVR COMPARISONS | POST-DVDR OPTIONS
*Due to the AVS SW change in June 2014, most but not all links in this thread will work if you're not logged in. If you are logged in, links should work if your User CP > Edit Options > Number of Posts to Show per Page is set to 30, the default.
post #34 of 39 Old 08-04-2012, 01:57 PM

Holy maceral. Soft reset works. Thanks
post #35 of 39 Old 08-04-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Another happy customer! biggrin.gif

post #36 of 39 Old 08-06-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Another happy customer! biggrin.gif

Are you keeping a list?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #37 of 39 Old 12-28-2013, 02:09 PM

I had this exact same problem on the exact same model.  Followed your instructions.  Voila!  Fixed.  Thanks much.  If it happens again, I think I will drill a small hole in the case and use a toothpick for future surges and resets.

post #38 of 39 Old 12-28-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecohog View Post

I had this exact same problem on the exact same model.  Followed your instructions.  Voila!  Fixed.  Thanks much.  If it happens again, I think I will drill a small hole in the case and use a toothpick for future surges and resets.

I give up!

post #39 of 39 Old 12-28-2013, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

I give up!

Some people are impatient, and don't want to sit on their hands with an unplugged Magnavox for 2-3 hours. For them, its worthwhile to poke around inside the unit and use the "hard" reset button to bypass the "soft" wait period (perhaps they need to leave the house and want to get their timer shows rescheduled ASAP). The extended setting / clock memory in some of our toys can be a hindrance to "instant gratification resets" (I wish more of them had a hard reset option).
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page