post #61 of 72 Old 06-28-2013, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmich View Post

I am looking for the converters so that I can record out from the HDMI output of my laptop
And also keep any widescreen flag that may be on there

Church AV Guy's post reminded me I didn't address this point, billmich. In my experience, the cheap HDMI>S/Composite converters DO NOT preserve any widescreen flags. Any capture device you connect to the analog outputs of the converter will record whatever aspect ratio the converter is displaying, so the captured recording becomes a raw unflagged version. IOW, the converter takes the normal-looking 16:9 HD signal displayed on the laptop and downconverts it to SD 16:9 that's *anamorphically squeezed into a 4:3 frame*. In my case, I'm streaming from laptop to DVD recorder, so the resulting DVDs end up being optimized for 16:9 TVs (because they display as squished on 4:3 TVs and require manual unsqueezing to 16:9 using the aspect ratio button functions of an HDTV).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I am curious. Why is maintaining the widescreen flag so important to you? [...] the widescreen flag is just becoming a nonfunctional anachronism.

Aside from needing the flag to trigger players to letterbox for 4:3 displays, I'm guessing (?) some 16:9 TVs use detection of it to automatically unsqueeze anamorphic video to 16:9. My Pioneer DVD recorders can make 16:9 DVDs, but they are anamorphic squeezed with no WS flag. These don't letterbox on 4:3 TVs, and my Sony LCD HDTVs with auto-aspect-ratio do not automatically unsqueeze them to 16:9 (instead i have to fumble for the remote and manually expand the frame). The Sony HDTVs *do* automatically unsqueeze anamorphic DVDs I make on my PCs using DVDflick, if I set it to author as 16:9 with the flag.

Perhaps I'm wrong, and the TV is sensing some other flag as trigger to auto-unsqueeze. And this is only an issue if your TV has an automated aspect ratio feature: my Sony does, my Samsung supposedly does but it isn't reliable, and my Panasonic is totally manual (needs to have AR set via remote for every video).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 06-28-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Maybe I should have used the term "flag"
I like how my component/composite converter used te "squeeze" so that I don't have black bars all the way around, I'm assuming that this hdmi/composite device can accomplish the same thing

I think I'll go with the viewHD PIECE.. From what you guys are saying
post #63 of 72 Old 06-28-2013, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

I like how my component/composite converter used te "squeeze" so that I don't have black bars all the way around, I'm assuming that this hdmi/composite device can accomplish the same thing

Yes, exactly this. If your laptop is showing a 16:9 HD video, the HDMI converter will downconvert it to SD 16:9 squeezed into a 4:3 frame. It will play without black borders on a 16:9 television, all you might need to do is set your TV frame button to "full" so it unsqueezes the 4:3 to correct screen-filling 16:9.
post #64 of 72 Old 06-28-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Bingo!!!
post #65 of 72 Old 02-27-2014, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi, I'm late to the party here, but I'm hoping that someone will read this thread and maybe provide me with an answer.

As I found out the hard way, cable and satellite companies are now protecting ALL of their content, not just the pay movie channels.

I own an old DVD recorder, which for years in the "old" system worked fine.  I would have the cable box s-video output (much more resolution than a yellow composite cable) and the red/white audio cables go from my box to my DVD recorder.  I also had a DV input for my camcorder, but I never did anything with that with television.

Anyway, this setup made very nice DVD's of football games and stuff like movies on TCM.  Not high def, of course, but not that much worse than a standard commercial DVD.  If the source content was widescreen, then so too was the recorded DVD.

I went merrily along with this for years.   Until a couple of years ago.

Time Warner cable, and I guess all cable and satellite companies, now changed things such that this setup will no longer record.  I can have the s-video (with live TV or playing content from the DVR seeming to make no difference) go straight from the cable box to a TV, and I can certainly watch TV.  But, send it to the recorder, and you get nothing.  I even tried sending the signal to the television, and then using a video & audio out hookup on the TV to go to the DVD recorder, and again got nothing.  So, the protection is pretty smart.

Strangely enough, the yellow composite video output still works when attaching the cable output to the DVD recorder, but who wants THAT kind of picture, which is pretty much equivalent to a VCR.  Ugh.

I'm not exactly a technophobe, but a lot of conversation in this thread has gone over my head.  So, I'll state my questions and hope for replies:

1.  Is my problem clear?  I want to record both straight off of the cable or through the DVR to my DVD recorder, using something better than yellow composite video.

2.  Is there a solution?  Does that solution involve purchansing some sort of equipment?

3.  LOL, can you direct to me a site that will SELL me this equipment?

Thanks much, folks.  I REALLY want to record my teams' sports seasons onto DVD.  And the NCAA Tournament will soon be upon us!!!!

Scott

post #66 of 72 Old 02-27-2014, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82

It would help if you said what brand DVDR you had but since it use to to work I assume your DVDR is set to look at the S-video input vs composite? Some DVDRs like Panasonic always look at the S-video input when a S-video cable is inserted, with others like Funai (Magnavox, newer Toshibas, etc.) you need to go into the setup and select S-video instead of composite.

It makes no sense that the S-video will display on your TV but not play through your DVDR, if the signal is CP it shouldn't effect passthru, only when you push REC you would get a warning and it wouldn't record. Note some(many cable) HD STBs/DVRs will disable composite/S-video outputs when you also use HDMI but this doesn't sound to be the case since I assume HDMI was also hooked to your TV when you ran the S-video cable directly to your TV and also you say composite works, if S-video was blocked so should composite......

If indeed it's CP and your DVDR is refusing to even allow passthru if it has CP then something like a Grex video filter will remove the CP for you. I have one and while it does slightly degrade the picture it's nowhere near as bad as composite, that is if using S-video through the Grex. I bought mine from Amazon, ~$90 I believe.

http://www.amazon.com/XDIMAX-GREX-7-4-Grex-Video-Stabilizer/dp/B0096I2DNE/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1393539764&sr=1-1&keywords=grex+video+stabilizer

post #67 of 72 Old 06-05-2014, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

other than the expensive HD Fury devices, are there any others that can convert from HDMI to "Component"?
post #68 of 72 Old 06-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

other than the expensive HD Fury devices, are there any others that can convert from HDMI to "Component"?
There was the ViewHD converter.The 2nd.gen. model was the best and did a darn good job of converting.Not quite as good as the Fury,but close.The cost was ~125.00 IIRC.Don't know if they're still available anywhere though.I'd try Amazon first,then ebay.

PS:Stay away from the 1st.gen.model...by ALL accounts that i read,it was pretty crappy.Sorry i can't remember the model numbers.

I once saw a side-by-side demo comparing the Fury and ViewHD(2nd.gen.) converters.The Fury clearly had better overall PQ,but the ViewHD was also quite good.It'd be worth the money to buy if you can find one.The user reviews i read were positively glowing,almost as much as the reviews i read for the Fury 2.
post #69 of 72 Old 06-05-2014, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you; as I am building my HTPC for recording and using Hauppauge Colossus;
I want to make sure that at future removal of component outputs can have a workaround;

does this until also "strip" any protection?
post #70 of 72 Old 06-05-2014, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

....does this until also "strip" any protection?

AFAIK it will.If it didn't i don't think anybody would have bought it.wink.giftongue.gif
If i have my facts straight,converting HDMI(digital) to Component video(analog)always removes HDCP.That's why AVR manufacturers don't allow for the conversion from HDMI>Component video in those devices.I think it's illegal.frown.gif
Hope you can locate a unit to try out.
post #71 of 72 Old 06-05-2014, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82

I believe a HDCP complaint HDMI to component converter will disable the component output if a HDCP signal is detected. The original HD Fury converters were not HDCP complaint but later ones were. I believe it's still possible to purchase the older design but you may have to order if from overseas?? Someone else is sure to know more but this is what I remember.

post #72 of 72 Old 06-06-2014, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I believe a HDCP complaint HDMI to component converter will disable the component output if a HDCP signal is detected. The original HD Fury converters were not HDCP complaint but later ones were. I believe it's still possible to purchase the older design but you may have to order if from overseas?? Someone else is sure to know more but this is what I remember.

You're right jjeff,the newer Fury models will shutdown if HDCP is detected.At least that's how they work out of the box.But the Fury is re-programmable by the user to work the way the user wants it too.
My older Fury-2 (bought 1/2011) worked perfectly out of the box,no re-programming needed.
If you buy a New Fury-2 now,it will have to be re-programmed.frown.gif
IIRC,the same HDCP compliance bug was introduced into the 3rd.gen.ViewHD converter,but i don't know if the ViewHD converter is re-programmable or not.That's why i suggested the 2nd.gen.model to the OP instead of the 3rd.gen.model IF he can find one.It worked right out of the box.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page