Transfer computer output to DVD Recorder input? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-15-2011, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
With the pictured devices I had hoped to be able to transfer computer video/audio output to a DVD Recorder's video/audio inputs primarily for recording streamed video/audio with the DVD Recorder.

The computer's VGA video and audio outputs were connected to the splitter's inputs at the left. The computer's monitor was connected to the splitter's center VGA output and the computer's speaker system was connected to the splitter's middle audio output. The VGA to S-Video/composite adapter was connected to the splitter's right VGA output and the audio "Y" adapter was connected to the splitter's right audio output.

The first connectivity experiment used the S-Video side of the "Y" adapter cable, plus white and red audio, connected to a Toshiba DVD Recorder where the video input had been set to S-Video. There was no video but the audio connections worked well.

The second connectivity experiment used the S-Video side of the "Y" adapter cable connected to the S-Video input of a Dynex LCD HDTV. There was no video.

The third connectivity experiment used the composite yellow side of the "Y" adapter cable, plus white and red audio, to the same Toshiba DVD Recorder where the video input had been set to composite video. Again there was no video but the audio connections worked well.

The next connectivity experiments swapped the S-Video and composite connections from the Toshiba DVD Recorder's front connections to the rear connections (after those rear inputs were set to the appropriate connectivity). Again there was no video but the audio connections worked well.

Observations/questions are welcome.
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2011, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I think that VGA to composite cable is just meant for specific video cards. If yours isn't one of them then you'll need something like this which will convert any VGA output to S-video/composite.
BTW did you ever try your converter cable directly to your computer, that is not first through your splitter? Probably wouldn't make a difference but it would be an easy test. I really think you need a box like I linked to do what you want.
If your going to place a order with MP you might want to order lots of other spare cables, they have great prices compared to local and quality is quite good.
Note how on this MP cable they say it only works with specific video cards, maybe yours isn't one of them?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What kind of video card do you have? In my experiences I have used an All-in-one card. This card already comes with cables that "feed" s-video, component, or composite video out at the same time as the computer monitor. It can be set up so that the feed to the Toshiba has it's own "window" in the software and you can view just what you want to view through it.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

I think that VGA to composite cable is just meant for specific video cards. If yours isn't one of them then you'll need something like this which will convert any VGA output to S-video/composite.
BTW did you ever try your converter cable directly to your computer, that is not first through your splitter? Probably wouldn't make a difference but it would be an easy test. I really think you need a box like I linked to do what you want.
If your going to place a order with MP you might want to order lots of other spare cables, they have great prices compared to local and quality is quite good.
Note how on this MP cable they say it only works with specific video cards, maybe yours isn't one of them?
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly View Post

What kind of video card do you have? In my experiences I have used an All-in-one card. This card already comes with cables that "feed" s-video, component, or composite video out at the same time as the computer monitor. It can be set up so that the feed to the Toshiba has it's own "window" in the software and you can view just what you want to view through it.

It appears that DigaDo didn't read the fine print for the Monoprice VGA to S-Video/ composite converter cable.

My year-old Dell Inspiron 570 has integrated video that doesn't support TV out. So, I'm sure, that's why my earlier experiments failed.

My circa 2005 Dell Dimension E510 has a Radeon X300 SE 128MB HyperMemory video card that has it's own seven-pin S-Video output, see the photos. (The photos show the regular VGA connection to the computer monitor.) Does the presence of a S-Video output indicate the the video card supports TV out? My S-Video cables have four data pins. Does that indicate that a seven-pin S-Video connection isn't compatible with a four-pin S-Video connection?

This morning I went back to more experimentation.

First, I connected the Dell's S-Video output directly to the Toshiba DVD Recorder S-Video input (after that input was set to S-Video). In the Dell's Control Panel I set the Radeon video card to it's lowest resolution of 800x600. There was no video from the Toshiba DVD Recorder output connected to a RCA 13 inch CRT TV.

Second, I connected the Monoprice VGA to S-Video/composite adapter cable to the Dell's VGA output. I tried both the S-Video and composite video connections to the Toshiba's front panel inputs (after setting the appropriate inputs). Again there was no video.

Thanks for the suggestions and link to that converter box. That seems to be the device that I should have purchased from Monoprice. I think I'll order it.

In the meantime I'll probably set up my daughter's circa 2006 Dell XPS400 that has a higher-end video card. If that works I might swap in that video card to my old Dell E510.
LL
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

Old 06-16-2011, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

The S-video looking thing in the middle should have a corresponding cable that seperates out into all three types (s-v, compos, and compon). Another thing is skip the toshiba and go straight to the TV if possible. Sometimes the output will not "register" if there is no "monitor". Once the TV and your computer monitor are functioning, then try putting the Toshiba back into the mix.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly View Post
The S-video looking thing in the middle should have a corresponding cable that seperates out into all three types (s-v, compos, and compon). Another thing is skip the toshiba and go straight to the TV if possible. Sometimes the output will not "register" if there is no "monitor". Once the TV and your computer monitor are functioning, then try putting the Toshiba back into the mix.
Thank you for these suggestions.

With the Dell Dimension E510 S-Video out connected to the Dynex LCD TV S-Video input there was a brief display of the Dell's initial boot-up seqence but that soon disappeared as the boot-up continued. I reasoned that the Dell's boot-up routine determined that the VGA output to the computer monitor was the primary video output so the Dell stopped sending a signal through the S-Video output.

I powered the Dell off and removed the VGA cable.

The next boot up restored the S-Video signal to the Dynex TV.

Then I powered the Dell off, connected the S-Video cable to the Toshiba DVD Recorder that outputs it's composite video signal to the 13 inch RCA CRT TV. The next boot-up was a success!

In the Dell's Device Manager the Monitor is listed as a "Generic Television." With the RCA TV the picture quality is somewhere between poor to fair, see the first two photos. Closer views of the Dell's video card are seen in the third through fifth photos.

Perhaps I'll set-up the Dell E510 elsewhere in the house where there is one more router connection available for our network.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

Old 06-16-2011, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Thank you for these suggestions.

With the Dell Dimension E510 S-Video out connected to the Dynex LCD TV S-Video input there was a brief display of the Dell's initial boot-up seqence but that soon disappeared as the boot-up continued. I reasoned that the Dell's boot-up routine determined that the VGA output to the computer monitor was the primary video output so the Dell stopped sending a signal through the S-Video output.

I powered the Dell off and removed the VGA cable.

Perhaps I'll set-up the Dell E510 elsewhere in the house where there is one more router connection available for our network.

To enable two monitors you have to go into the advanced display option on the resultion (last tab) setup and check the boxes accordingly of which monitor is which. The setting will usually stay that way even if the "monitors" are not active. My digital TV will even display the input option if the computer is on and not sending an active signal. It will not show the availability if the computer is off.
Old 06-18-2011, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Update:

Yesterday I connected the Dell E510 to the router and downloaded a bunch of updates. (The E510 was last connected to the internet about a year ago.)

Following the updates I powered off the E510 and connected it's S-Video output, plus the white and red audio outputs, to the corresponding front panel inputs of my home office Panasonic DMR-EH50 HDD/DVD Recorder.

Then I streamed the 6/8/2011 GBTV "Premier" video and recorded it to the DMR-EH50 hard drive. That 52 minute long "Premier" video just fits this week's GB master DVD (high-speed dubbed with 4:14 total program content at the LP recording mode).

Following that a CopyPal session produced enough copies for free distribution on Sunday afternoon.

Once GBTV is fully operational in September I expect to use a 2006 Toshiba D-RW2 DVD Recorder that offers a ten hour per DVD recording mode suitable for the five weekday two-hour long GB TV programs. Of course, the Toshiba ten hour recording mode will be quite a step down in picture quality from the Panasonic four hour recording mode. I'll continue to use 8x Taiyo Yuden Premium Line DVD-R media for archival and duplication master DVDs and a variety of 16x DVD-R media for duplication/distribution.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
May be your refresh rate the computer screen is set at? I have a MACBOOK PRO and its real easy to just plug HDMI to HDMI and get a 50" computer screen, but I remember trying a couple years with my windows p.c. and it wasn't happening, digital to analog and the screen refresh rate I think had something going on. I spent a bunch of money on software, video cards, even ADS hardware that has the RCA connections on it to transfer out of the computer. That did work but each time was like my first and I had to get lucky and learn everything all over to make it. Sorry I am no real help, it's out there.