Is S-video quickly becoming thing of the past? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 81 Old 06-21-2011, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I noticed that my DISH DVR lacked an S-video out, I had assumed it was an anomaly and it was because DISH wanted to prevent people from making high quality analog copies. Now my recently acquired SONY blu-ray player also lacks this - I have to use composite if I want to record streaming video. I am beginning to think this may be due to cost cutting - how much an S-video out is going to cost them, really? Do all units coming out in 2011 lack S-video out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeegeek View Post

When I noticed that my DISH DVR lacked an S-video out, I had assumed it was an anomaly and it was because DISH wanted to prevent people from making high quality analog copies. Now my recently acquired SONY blu-ray player also lacks this - I have to use composite if I want to record streaming video. I am beginning to think this may be due to cost cutting - how much an S-video out is going to cost them, really? Do all units coming out in 2011 lack S-video out?

According to this post, by 2014, all analog outputs will be eliminated, due to copy protection. You are now seeing a slow progression to that affect.

This link explains it more.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #3 of 81 Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Lots of AV receivers have dropped S-video as well. And some Blu-ray players only have HDMI.

Yeah, analog video may be in its swan song.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #4 of 81 Old 06-21-2011, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 55
S-Video connectors appear to be the first to go, but as has been said here many times, eventually (sooner rather than later) all analog outputs will be discontinued due to copy protection issues.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #5 of 81 Old 06-21-2011, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeegeek View Post

I am beginning to think this may be due to cost cutting - how much an S-video out is going to cost them, really? Do all units coming out in 2011 lack S-video out?

No: like the others said, analog is being phased out and this early widespread elimination of S-video connections on newer gear is just the canary in the coal mine. To be sure, its coincidentally a cost-cutting move as well: S-video effectively died years ago as a popular connection, once the mass market moved to large HDTVs with component or HDMI inputs.

The days when niche-market consumers were still catered to are over: in the "new global economy" the mass market is the tail wagging the dog, and they wouldn't know from S-video if it electrocuted them. The only consumers left who still use S-video connections need them for one of two reasons: to keep using older outdated televisions, or to make the best possible standard-def recordings to a DVD recorder or PC. Both groups are reviled by both mfrs and Hollywood: their attitude is "buy a new TV already and join the 21st century" and "what makes you think we want to help you record anything anyway? recording is so 1997! rent a cable/satellite PVR and get over yourself!" The tide is turning, very fast- enjoy ye analog connections while ye can...
post #6 of 81 Old 06-21-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
It might not be as bad if the "new TV they're forcing you to buy" overall displayed the signals as well as the old ones.
post #7 of 81 Old 06-21-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 89
The only players your going to find with S-video output will generally be no mame brand very cheap smallish DVD players. All the name brand DVD players and BR players dropped S-video a couple years ago. It's one reason I've been amassing so many older(04-08) DVD players. I'm still waiting to find a good deal on a BR player with S-video. That feature was dropped on every BR player this year, last year had a few top of the line models with S-video and the year before it was somewhat common.
S-video is dead and as others have said, composite won't be long behind. DVDRs frequently have S-video in/out but again DVDRs are basically dead too(except for the Funai models a few other models).
post #8 of 81 Old 06-21-2011, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

they might leave the composite in for a while as this gives them excuse to enclose a cheap analog cable in place of a decent digital cable. I have amassed so many of these yellow, red, white cables I don't know what to do with them.
post #9 of 81 Old 06-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Advanced Member

I just got a new Samsung 46c6500 and it only has one component. afew months later came out the 6050 model with no component. I guess this thread answers my question why.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #10 of 81 Old 06-21-2011, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

will tvs still have analog inputs after the 14th ? what if someone still has a VCR or they want to hook up their old dreamcast or SNES ? or old video tape camera that only outputs RCA ?

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #11 of 81 Old 06-22-2011, 03:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champer View Post

will tvs still have analog inputs after the 14th ? what if someone still has a VCR or they want to hook up their old dreamcast or SNES ? or old video tape camera that only outputs RCA ?

This Composite-to-HDMI converter may very well be in your future in 2014.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #12 of 81 Old 06-22-2011, 08:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

Three letters. SOL.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #13 of 81 Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 617
Quote:

Pick up a few extra TV's ..

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #14 of 81 Old 06-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

Three letters. SOL.

I forgot what SOL is

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #15 of 81 Old 06-22-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:

I forgot what SOL is

Sh!t Outta Luck
post #16 of 81 Old 06-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn17 View Post

Sh!t Outta Luck

oh yeah, lol. and only 2 posts ? I hope you didnt sign up on here just to correct me.

anyways, anyone know where I can get a component to USB adapter ?

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #17 of 81 Old 06-22-2011, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

anyways, anyone know where I can get a component to USB adapter ?

See this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

Yes they are available. I can't vouch for any of em but they are out there.
Here is one with component to usb from Black Magic for $149.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/pro...videorecorder/

post #18 of 81 Old 06-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwil View Post

This Composite-to-HDMI converter may very well be in your future in 2014.

Another option is to use your upconverting DVD recorder as a composite/S-video to HDMI converter. For example My RDR-HX780 has 3 composite or S-video inputs and one HDMI output. I wouldn't use it for that purpose at this stage but if I need a new TV by 2015 and if the TVs will no longer have analog inputs then an option may be to buy a used DVD recorder with a bad laser diode for $5 and use it as an analog to HDMI convertor.

Never $h!t out of luck
post #19 of 81 Old 06-25-2011, 08:01 PM

Liked: 14
If enough people complain the government may jump in and change this self imposed phase out. Call your congressman.
post #20 of 81 Old 06-26-2011, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerGrove View Post

If enough people complain the government may jump in and change this self imposed phase out. Call your congressman.

You're joking, right?
post #21 of 81 Old 06-26-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

You're joking, right?

Why must he be joking?

For those who recognize a role for the government in protecting the interests of individuals against big business, a reasonable argument can be made for protecting the ability of people to use legacy hardware. It was only a few decades back that such a role for the government was pretty much considered a mainstream viewpoint...

Whether the government should intervene in this particular instance is certainly open to debate -- but not something that need necessarily be dismissed out of hand.
post #22 of 81 Old 06-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

See this post:

I did some research on the black magic video recorder and says its not compatible with PC. MAC only

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #23 of 81 Old 06-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I did some research on the black magic video recorder and says its not compatible with PC. MAC only

Thanks for that info. I had no idea that Black Magic USB device is only for Macs.

The reason I original posted that link is because I am familiar with another Black Magic product similar to this one. It belongs to a post-house that is related to my work but the card I’m familiar with was an older card and was used to digitize some “Analog Component” footage out of Betacam-SP and also ‘Digital Component” SDI footage out of Betacam-SX. The card the post-shop used was definitely inside a “windows box” running Adobe Premiere Pro. I see this card I just linked will also run Windows or Mac. I have no idea why their home-video USB recorder is only for Mac but its good to know.
post #24 of 81 Old 06-26-2011, 11:57 PM
Advanced Member

PM me if you come across another device like the Blackmagic video recorder thats a usb to component video adapter, that lets you record in HD that will work with PC.

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #25 of 81 Old 06-27-2011, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you click here to buy, you will find a "Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7" option.

Probably the software is Mac related, but the hardware itself could be PC & Mac compatible.

post #26 of 81 Old 06-27-2011, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you click here to buy, you will find a "Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7" option.

Probably the software is Mac related, but the hardware itself could be PC & Mac compatible.

ok cool, I cant find one online for no less than $140 though. everyone has it for sale between $140-150. even on ebay

SONY 32XBR6
SAMSUNG 46C6500

BD 40
HD DVD 28
post #27 of 81 Old 06-27-2011, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Desmond View Post
Why must he be joking?

For those who recognize a role for the government in protecting the interests of individuals against big business, a reasonable argument can be made for protecting the ability of people to use legacy hardware. It was only a few decades back that such a role for the government was pretty much considered a mainstream viewpoint...

Whether the government should intervene in this particular instance is certainly open to debate -- but not something that need necessarily be dismissed out of hand.
[RANT]It's a joke to think that a government that's bought and paid for by big business (regardless of political party) would actually give a rat's a$$ about minutiae like whether s-video connections become extinct. There's no return on investment. It's also a joke to think, given the sad condition of the economy (unemployment, national debt, etc.) and the seeming inability of the government (again, regardless of political party) to solve these problems for which it is somewhat responsible along with big businesses, that anyone would want the government to devote any time or tax payer's dollars to something so absolutely unimportant.[/RANT] Now back to our regular programming.
post #28 of 81 Old 06-27-2011, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

[RANT]It's a joke to think that a government that's bought and paid for by big business (regardless of political party) would actually give a rat's a$$ about minutiae like whether s-video connections become extinct. There's no return on investment. It's also a joke to think, given the sad condition of the economy (unemployment, national debt, etc.) and the seeming inability of the government (again, regardless of political party) to solve these problems for which it is somewhat responsible along with big businesses, that anyone would want the government to devote any time or tax payer's dollars to something so absolutely unimportant.[/RANT] Now back to our regular programming.

The last article i read concerning analog outputs and the Gov't.(FCC)was a few mos. ago.The writer of that article believes that the FCC,(which has authority over outputs on Sat./Cable boxes)won't allow the analog outputs to be removed from those devices.He went on to list a few reasons why but i can't remember what they were
IIRC the reasons centered around public safety concerns.
The FCC has ruled that analog outputs may be temporarily disabled for 1st. run movies on VOD & PPV.
Has anyone heard of s-video or other analog outputs being removed from Sat./Cable boxes yet?? If it does happen,then it will come from a formal FCC ruling which will probably be made public on the news.Many/most/all Gov't rulings are made public that way. Since the vast majority of people in the US have either Sat. or Cable(even the boys and girls who report the news)it will affect sooo many people that i think it will have to be reported. G.
post #29 of 81 Old 06-27-2011, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cool. champer if you decide to try it out, please let us know how it works out.

I thought that Hauppauge made a component to USB device that took in HD signals, anyone heard of this?
post #30 of 81 Old 06-27-2011, 05:53 PM

They do, and here it is. I own one and it's fantastic:

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page