Panasonic DMR-EH65 HDD change - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-08-2011, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a panasonic dmr-eh65 and i want to change my HDD because is dead (clicking). I have already removed the hard drive from panasonic and connected it to my pc. The HDD is clicking and is inaccessible. I placed a new HHD to my recorder with no luck because the panasonic code was missing from my new HDD. A member of this forum (im2020) posted a code for model dmr-ex75. Is there a code or firmware for eh65? Is there anybody who owns the same model and make me an image from his Hdd?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-08-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I haven't had to replace the HDD in any of my Panasonics but from what I understand basically all except the dreaded ex75 is quite straight forward. You install the replacement HDD and will be prompted to format it. If you answer YES your new drive should be formatted and ready to go. The replacement drive will only format to the size of the original, IOW if you put a larger drive in it will work but only format to the size of the original.
I take it you must have a international Panasonic? The US never had a EH-65, we had a EH-55('06 model) and EH-60('05 model) as well as the international EH-67('07 model). No regular members on AVS have ever posted about a EH-65 so I doubt you'll find a actual user of that model here.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-11-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthekid View Post

I have a panasonic dmr-eh65 and i want to change my HDD because is dead (clicking). I have already removed the hard drive from panasonic and connected it to my pc. The HDD is clicking and is inaccessible. I placed a new HHD to my recorder with no luck because the panasonic code was missing from my new HDD. A member of this forum (im2020) posted a code for model dmr-ex75. Is there a code or firmware for eh65? Is there anybody who owns the same model and make me an image from his Hdd?

A clicking hard drive is a dead hard drive. Sorry, but any content you had there is gone. You will not be able to get it off the drive using your PC.

For North American Panasonic HDD DVD recorders, the usual approach to replacing a HDD is to simply put in a new one. The machine tells you the HDD is formatted improperly, and will ask you if it's okay to format the hard disk. You say yes, and the machine is good to go. the only two reasons why this would not work are 1) if you put in a drive that is too small. The EH65 had a 250Gb hard drive, and you need to replace it with one at least that size or greater. A smaller one will not work. 2) If you used a hard disk that is "too slow" to do the necessary functions.

The EH65 is NOT a North American model, so if there is some functional code that must be on the drive that is necessary for the recorder to work, I am not aware of it. I have heard that some European models had the operating instructions on the hard drive rather then in eprom. If this is the case with the EH65, you either have to find someone else with the EXACT same model who is willing to let you clone their HDD, or contact Panasonic to get a replacement drive.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #4 of 6 Old 07-16-2011, 09:51 PM

I have a DMR-EH59 with the same problem (I just ordered a HDD of the exact same model of the broken one, which I'm hoping will work).

Also I had in the past cloned the first 1/2 (actually 139GB) of the the broken HDD (to get some video I had erased off of it).
and I still have that image file, if I were to copy that image onto the the new HDD will that work?, assuming the Format routine is on the HDD is it at the start of it?
post #5 of 6 Old 07-18-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott16 View Post

I have a DMR-EH59 with the same problem (I just ordered a HDD of the exact same model of the broken one, which I'm hoping will work).

Also I had in the past cloned the first 1/2 (actually 139GB) of the the broken HDD (to get some video I had erased off of it).
and I still have that image file, if I were to copy that image onto the the new HDD will that work?, assuming the Format routine is on the HDD is it at the start of it?

Format your new HDD with FAT32 and then copy your image onto new HDD. Put the new HDD in place and start the device. It will ask you to format the disk. If you don't want the contents then press yes to proceed. But if you want the contents do the follow: Before you press the button to format the disk unplug the POWER CABLE (the white and small one) from the HDD. Then press the button to format and wait 10-15 seconds and then unplug the device power cable. Plug the HDD POWER CABLE back and then plug the device power cable. The device should be ready.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-09-2012, 06:27 PM

I finally got this to work again, I had to get a working HDD from a DMR-EH59
and clone it to one of the stock Hitachi HDDs of the same model
and when I put the Cloned HDD into the broken DMR-EH59 it formatted the HDD and now it works.

Panasonic told me there was some special firmware on their HDDs
but I think it's probably just the formatting that's different (b.c the DMR-EH59 did accept the Cloned (stock) HDD).
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page