Mag MDR515: HDD-HQ record - audio sucks? help! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 07-28-2011, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI all, first time posting. I did forum search but came up null.

Is there a secret setting to get HDD-HQ recording to sound great/good?

I am playing a recorded motorcycle race off my FIOS DVR onto the 515 HDD. I am recording on the HDD-HQ setting. My connection is S-Video+L/R RCA from the FIOS to the 515.

The sound is fine if I record in HDD-SP mode - but muted and garbled in HDD-HQ mode.

What gives?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-28-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post

I am playing a recorded motorcycle race off my FIOS DVR onto the 515 HDD. I am recording on the HDD-HQ setting. My connection is S-Video+L/R RCA from the FIOS to the 515.

The sound is fine if I record in HDD-SP mode - but muted and garbled in HDD-HQ mode.

What gives?

This is just a guess, but it could have to do with the FIOS and some sort of copy protection or "flag" they have put in it. It also may just be that recording, how you tried others and are they the same? Remember, some recordings may have "flags" that other do not.

Otherwise, not really sure, maybe others can help.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-29-2011, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I'm sure you'll get an accurate answer from our resident Magnavox Guru later today: if you don't get a reply from wajo in this thread within 48 hours send him a PM.

Not entirely sure exactly how the Magnavox handles the HQ speed, but most other recorders tend to weird sound specs in HQ that are not used at any other recording speed. Depending on what you're recording, this can be an improvement or a drawback. Since your dub seems to go fine at the SP speed I don't think you're experiencing the "record restrict" symptom described by MovieGuruJeff, although its possible. My guess would be the motorcycle race audio is mostly loud engine and crowd noise, which may be overloading the slightly different sound encoding algorithm the Magnavox employs at the HQ speed. If you're only getting the problem with this show at this speed, while other dubs to HQ seem to have decent audio, chalk it up to random incompatibility between this particular soundtrack, the FiOS D/A converter, and the recorders' HQ audio encoder. Use the SP speed instead.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-29-2011, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber3d View Post

What gives?

I record DVR programs from my FiOS DVR boxes to a 515 and 513 often. I never had any issues with sound at any record quality mode. The only thing I can think of is you might have a bad audio cable.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-29-2011, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

I don't believe it would be the cables. I mean, it sounds good at SP but not at HQ. Would audio cable quality make a difference in this case? I'll have to buy a superior cable tomorrow to try although I am using an "older" Monster cable right now.

As I am new to this machine it appears that there is only one method to input audio (RCA analogue) right? I thought it had digital audio in, but it appears that it does not.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-30-2011, 07:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Monster cables have a dodgy reputation for not always being what they're cracked up to be, especially in analog video applications. Forget trying another fancy cable, try the cheap RCA cable that came in the box with your Magnavox or any other piece of gear you own. If that solves your problem, then there's something funky with the cable you were using. (There is no audio input option on any DVD recorder aside from RCA stereo analog.)

If the problem was in your cable, its almost certain the sound would be funky at every recording speed, not just HQ. If the sound is fine at SP with this motorcycle race dub, and the sound is fine at HQ when dubbing other shows, then its just one of those infuriating random glitches that sometimes occur with AV gear even at the pro level. Sometimes you just have to live with workarounds: use SP for that channel and stop stressing. (If I'm reading you wrong, and you're having this sound problem at HQ speed with ALL dubs from FiOS, there may be something wrong with the recorders external sound processor.)

A test you can try: see if you can receive at least one broadcast or FiOS channel using the coax tuner input, and check the HQ sound thru the tuner. If it records OK thru the tuner, then the FiOS box might be overloading its line outs. This can happen if your FiOS box has only one set of audio line outs and the box is controlling the output level from its remote: if you set the volume too high with the onscreen display it can overload some types of connected gear. Try lowering the volume on the FiOS box to a bit more than half, see if that helps any.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page