Forum Jump: 

Old 01-29-2013, 10:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

SUBJECT: Magnavox DVDRs / FiOS ClearQAM / MAPPING PROBLEMS...
Since I cannot find another thread from you on the Magnavox / FiOS Tuner Problem, I'll just answer here:
  • Start out reading Tuning Problems to get a general overview of the Magnavox / Cable Tuning Problem.
  • Then SEARCH that thread (Yeah - the *BIG ONE** that's difficult to find answers in unless they're already LINKed in Post #1, or one of its related posts) for specific replies from Ken.F - IMO, he originally identified and provided a solution to the 'Magnavox / FiOS' problem.
  • And, finally, since I have 2160As, 513s and 515s that give *DIFFERENT* results from an 'Auto-Scan', here are MY steps (abbreviated, since Vista / IE8 is buffering 'Keyboard-to-Screen' data slower than an old 300 baud teletype!):
    1. Run an Auto-Scan with the RF Cable disconnected to CLEAR Channel Memory.
      - Check for success.
    2. Run a second Auto-Scan with the RF Cable disconnected until it reaches DIGITAL CH 10.
      - IME, it's not super important if you connect ~9 or ~11; just be aware that the lower FiOS channels are just 'Random Ads' that you'll want to DELETE.
    3. Grab a pencil and paper and return to normal VIEW mode. CH UP from L3 and label everything you see (TIME CONSUMING!)
      - IME, ClearQAM HD channels are on separate BASE channels while ClearQAM SD channels are usually groups of several sub-channels on a few sequential base channels.
    4. REPEAT Step 1 to clear Channel Memory.
    5. ONE-AT-A-TIME, add a ClearQAM HD channel from your paper list (i.e. ADD / CONFIRM / RINSE / REPEAT).
      - *PAY* attention if it RE-MAPS (i.e. 72.1 may remain as 72.1 CBS-HD, but 74.3 may RE-MAP to 9.1 WOR-HD (in the NYC area). This is where your problems will originate. If let's say 57.8 *ALSO* RE-MAPS to 9.1 Korean-SD, you now have a CONFLICT. Since 57 is lower than 74, during an Auto-Scan, the *UNWANTED* 57 RE-MAP will succeed, while the *DESIRED* 74 RE-MAP will fail.
    6. IME, the *FEWER* channels you ENABLE, the easier your Magnavox DVDR is to maintain *WHEN* FiOS 'Spins-the-Dice'.
Good Luck! smile.gif

==========

THANK YOU for what looks like an interesting and potentially useful procedure. I shall certainly explore it further in a couple of days and report back. I'll start with an abbreviated dry run on the channels that Verizon really spoofed to see whether I'm going to win or not.
As for "... cannot find another thread from you on the Magnavox / FiOS Tuner Problem", there is none, and I apologize for any breach of etiquette I've committed. This is my first post to a "news group" (as my background forces me to consider it) since the 80's or early 90's, and life was [arguably] simpler then. I will spend more time trying to deduce the rules and follow them. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

SUBJECT: Magnavox DVDRs / FiOS ClearQAM / MAPPING PROBLEMS...
Since I cannot find another thread from you on the Magnavox / FiOS Tuner Problem, I'll just answer here:
  • Start out reading Tuning Problems to get a general overview of the Magnavox / Cable Tuning Problem.
  • Then SEARCH that thread (Yeah - the *BIG ONE** that's difficult to find answers in unless they're already LINKed in Post #1, or one of its related posts) for specific replies from Ken.F - IMO, he originally identified and provided a solution to the 'Magnavox / FiOS' problem.
  • And, finally, since I have 2160As, 513s and 515s that give *DIFFERENT* results from an 'Auto-Scan', here are MY steps (abbreviated, since Vista / IE8 is buffering 'Keyboard-to-Screen' data slower than an old 300 baud teletype!):
    1. Run an Auto-Scan with the RF Cable disconnected to CLEAR Channel Memory.
      - Check for success.
    2. Run a second Auto-Scan with the RF Cable disconnected until it reaches DIGITAL CH 10.
      - IME, it's not super important if you connect ~9 or ~11; just be aware that the lower FiOS channels are just 'Random Ads' that you'll want to DELETE.
    3. Grab a pencil and paper and return to normal VIEW mode. CH UP from L3 and label everything you see (TIME CONSUMING!)
      - IME, ClearQAM HD channels are on separate BASE channels while ClearQAM SD channels are usually groups of several sub-channels on a few sequential base channels.
    4. REPEAT Step 1 to clear Channel Memory.
    5. ONE-AT-A-TIME, add a ClearQAM HD channel from your paper list (i.e. ADD / CONFIRM / RINSE / REPEAT).
      - *PAY* attention if it RE-MAPS (i.e. 72.1 may remain as 72.1 CBS-HD, but 74.3 may RE-MAP to 9.1 WOR-HD (in the NYC area). This is where your problems will originate. If let's say 57.8 *ALSO* RE-MAPS to 9.1 Korean-SD, you now have a CONFLICT. Since 57 is lower than 74, during an Auto-Scan, the *UNWANTED* 57 RE-MAP will succeed, while the *DESIRED* 74 RE-MAP will fail.
    6. IME, the *FEWER* channels you ENABLE, the easier your Magnavox DVDR is to maintain *WHEN* FiOS 'Spins-the-Dice'.
Good Luck! smile.gif

SUCCESS, and THANK YOU. I shall be brief, having learned this thread might more properly be part of a broader forum.
1. Scanned with no input.
2. Scanned again without input up through ~ Digital Channel 10 and reconnected input cable for the remainder.
Everything I wanted was there, and none of Verizon's fluff was "below" any real channel, thus crippling it. I don't pretend to understand this fully, but I can live with it, now that Boston's 2.1, 2.2, and 5.1 are available to me again.
I consider myself lucky, because FIOS channels are ALL digital, and p.28 of the manual clearly states "Adding Channel is only available for the analog TV channels.", so if the stuff below 10 had not magically appeared, I've yet to find a way to add such back in.
My thanks to those who helped. If someone feels a copy of this thread SHOULD be posted in some other forum, tell me and I'll wade through it.

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner