Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 172 Old 01-26-2012, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
I'm seriously thinking to import one of these before it will be barely legal just to have an electronic device with HDMI inputs, even a HTPC.

How exactly would you do that? Isn't it illegal for any dealer "there" to sell them to someone "here"?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 172 Old 01-26-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 412
AFAIK, HDMI inputs are not illegal in the US -- my AVR has 6 of them -- they just have to be licensed by HDMI Licensing, LLC. In order to be licensed they must comply with the requirements and restrictions -- one of which is HDCP compliance. HDCP compliance will prevent you from copying/recording any content that is HDCP encrypted.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #33 of 172 Old 02-28-2012, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Has anyone found out where you can buy these online from a english friendly site? I am quite keen on one even if the tuner will not work for me.
post #34 of 172 Old 02-29-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

If you find a source, please, let us all know about it.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #35 of 172 Old 02-29-2012, 05:53 PM

If i found somewhere in Japan that had it i could use http://www.rinkya.com/

to get it for me. I use them to buy stuff or bid on stuff in Japan for me.

Looks like i will have to join an australian forum mentioned earlier in the thread and ask where people got it from. If i find out anything i will let you know. Even though the tunner is useless, it has good inputs and outputs, large storage capacity, transfer vis USB etc. Even f it cant record some HDMI stuff, i think those HD Fury things overcome the copy protection? I dont have cable anyway and i think Freeview HD stuff may not be copy protected anyway. Going by what price it is, it should be pretty good quality and not garbage. $100 AUD set top boxes only last a couple years here. At a guess that Magic TV unit would retail for something like $800 AUD + in stores here if it was available and you usually get something pretty good for that money. No optical drives to worry about wearing out too.
post #36 of 172 Old 03-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
While in the US market there's a lack of DVR options , our friends at Pixel Magic are now offering a new "compact" model:

Quote:

Featuring a smaller case and 3 HD and SD inputs; MTV7000D-MINI still delivers all the advanced and innovative features of it's big brother MTV7000D, including Magic Link and Video Streaming!

With Cable TV now beginning 3D broadcasts, MTV7000D-MINI is the perfect way to record them. (...) All recordings and playback are 3D and HD-capable and take place on Magic TV!

MTV7000D-MINI can also transcode in realtime, allowing you to choose the quality of the recordings. Record up to 1000 hours on the internal HDD!

More info at: http://www.magictv.com/hk/en/mtv7000d-mini.html
post #37 of 172 Old 03-03-2012, 09:40 PM

I am going to email them directly in a couple days time (edit - have emailed them now) to find out if i can buy one direct from them or if they can suggest another supplier.

I think its a perfect way for me to export recordings from Panasonic DVD recorder and be able to get it onto hard drives/computer so i am not limited to wearing out the DVD recorder. I dont have cable so i think free to air HD content fed from a HDD or straight from set top box via HDMI may not have copy protection. The only downside is i am going to have a tonne of different units and a lot of cables!
Might even be able to record VHS upscaled through HDMI on the DMR-EZ48V too. That would be good. Or at the very least through component.
post #38 of 172 Old 03-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone82 View Post

I am going to email them directly in a couple days time (edit - have emailed them now) to find out if i can buy one direct from them or if they can suggest another supplier.

Here's another supplier, with e-mail, fax, etc:

MTV-7000D
post #39 of 172 Old 03-04-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Note the new "mini" lacks component inputs, very impressed with all the outputs though. Basically every audio and video output available.
post #40 of 172 Old 03-04-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 137
$488 U.S. dollars.

"Quantity/box : 4" ???

Wholesaler?
post #41 of 172 Old 03-04-2012, 05:33 PM

Being 12V DC means its easy to use anywhere too.

http://www.builtinpro.hk/en/Magic+TV...rders/MTV7000D

Wow thanks for that. Only $454 AUD

I need to buy some other things first though but it looks like a goer for me. I just wish i knew what format it records in and then how easy it is to turn that into DVD format? (Video_TS & audio_TS folders or img files). Says nothing in the manual.

Just tried to place an order to see what shipping would be and how to pay but that must be done later. I will have to email them about that as there was no shipping calculator and it did not look like there was online payment although maybe clicking the 'place order' may take me to a different section but i did not want to try that as i was only wanting to see what shipping would be.

Quote:
"Quantity/box : 4" ???

Wholesaler?

This would be a mistake
post #42 of 172 Old 03-04-2012, 08:54 PM

Liked: 11
I JUST WANT THE OTHER ONE!!!!!!
I WANT EVERYTHING on mine!
Component INPUTS TOO!!!!!!
post #43 of 172 Old 03-04-2012, 10:40 PM

Yeah thats the one i would get too.
post #44 of 172 Old 03-07-2012, 06:45 PM

Response from built in pro hk

Quote:
Dear Customer,

we don't ship it to Australia. However,you may send UPS to come and pick it from us.
You may pay online through Paypal or Visa.

Damn, back to square 1.

Why are these not on ebay? You can buy every other piece of electrical junk from HK but not this which actually seems pretty good. i have only found the 4000 model in Australia and they are selling for a pretty high price.
post #45 of 172 Old 03-08-2012, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Why are these not on ebay? You can buy every other piece of electrical junk from HK but not this which actually seems pretty good. i have only found the 4000 model in Australia and they are selling for a pretty high price.

Another very good question.

Luke

post #46 of 172 Old 03-08-2012, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

On ebay all is about profit not innovation or quality. I guess a MTV-7000D will be offer by almost U$1000. Of course, there are better ways to get it.
post #47 of 172 Old 03-08-2012, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

But where? I haven't seen one offerd at ANY price.

Luke

post #48 of 172 Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

But where? I haven't seen one offerd at ANY price.

Maybe someone can ask to this store why they don't offer a 7000D one:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Magic...item20bd9b0783
post #49 of 172 Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 PM

I could but i dont know if i want to know the price. I am sure it will be double that. Another $150 and i could get one from HK my self. Well thats the plan. Just gotta find a couple more hours to do some google searching and find someplace easy to deal with. The site listed earlier was all good till they said 'you can get UPS to pick it up from us but we wont ship it to Australia' How the heck is that supposed to work?

Thats intersting, i wonder if they are specially built for our/my region with DVB-T or if they have the HK tuner still in them which wont work here?
post #50 of 172 Old 03-11-2012, 09:34 PM

This looks promising

http://www.magictv.com/nz/buy.html

Might have to try from over there.

edit, looks like they only got the 3600 model
post #51 of 172 Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
What is the purpose of this device? Unless you have a BD burner and are willing to pay about $3 or more per blank, you are likely going to be archiving in DVD-R, which is limited to 480i anyway. For time shifting, a Tivo or Comcast HD DVR works great, or you can buy the ChannelMaster DVR7400 ($400) for OTA HD recording. FYI, I can record OTA HD on my Panasonic EH55 (480i of course) using a ChannelMaster HD OTA tuner with S-video output, and the results are very good.

"The truth is out there!"
post #52 of 172 Old 03-13-2012, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 24
post #53 of 172 Old 03-13-2012, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

What is the purpose of this device? Unless you have a BD burner and are willing to pay about $3 or more per blank, you are likely going to be archiving in DVD-R, which is limited to 480i anyway. For time shifting, a Tivo or Comcast HD DVR works great, or you can buy the ChannelMaster DVR7400 ($400) for OTA HD recording. FYI, I can record OTA HD on my Panasonic EH55 (480i of course) using a ChannelMaster HD OTA tuner with S-video output, and the results are very good.

For those of us in the US there is no use for this device; especially in light of the units you mention that are available to us with proper tuners. As far as burning to BluRay, even though BD-R blanks are $1 each and BD burners are $80, you probably won't be doing that with this box as there is no way to get the recordings out of it directly -- other than playing them into an SD DVD recorder or possibly a Hauppauge 1212 like you would do with any DVR other than a TiVo. The expandable USB-based storage is encrypted to the machine it was recorded on so there is no transportability of the original recording.

Quote:

Record on multiple disks (external USB drives)
You can now seamlessly expand your storage capacity by connecting one or more USB disks to Magic TV. Recording, copying, moving, editing and playback from these disks is all fully supported. You control how they are used.
Note: Recordings are encrypted and can only play on the unit which originally made the recordings.

I too fail to see the continued fascination with this device. I can only assume profhat keeps bringing it up for the benefit of non-US residents who have access to freeview sat service.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #54 of 172 Old 03-13-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Note: Recordings are encrypted and can only play on the unit which originally made the recordings.

That changes things. I did not see that
post #55 of 172 Old 03-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

What is the purpose of this device?

To probe that there's a recorder with real working HDMI HD inputs (free of HDCP restrictions), a machine that people in the US just can't have or even know about it. (Excluding HTPCs).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

You can now seamlessly expand your storage capacity by connecting one or more USB disks to Magic TV™. Recording, copying, moving, editing and playback from these disks is all fully supported. You control how they are used.

I appreciate your concern, but we aren't talking about the MTV-3700TD (NZ). The MTV-7000D and 7000D Mini doesn't have those encrypted issues:

http://www.magictv.com/hk/en/mtv7000d.html

http://www.magictv.com/hk/en/mtv7000d-mini.html

Quote:

You can now seamlessly expand your storage capacity by connecting one or more USB disks to Magic TV™. Copying, moving, editing and playback from these disks is all fully supported. You control how they are used.

post #56 of 172 Old 03-13-2012, 11:40 PM

Yeah i would not be surprised the small one sold in NZ and AUS is restricted/encrypted. I always thought the larger HK models would be pretty free of restrictions. From what i have read the only possible thing you may not be able to record is encrypted broadcasts from certain cable/pay TV set top boxes such as Foxtel in Australia. I am thinking/hoping that you could freely record via HDMI inputs from a DVD recorders HDMI OUT or the HDMI OUT from a free to air set top box. And if thats the case, it still surely would be useful for some people in USA. I would not write it off just yet i think. I clearly need to do some more reading on this unit though.
post #57 of 172 Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Another two links with reputed HK sellers:

Universal88.com

HDLife

I hope this info helps someone.
post #58 of 172 Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 AM

Heres a new one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gefen-80GB-S...item53d91299c6

Gefen. Never heard of these before.
post #59 of 172 Old 04-29-2012, 09:42 AM

Liked: 10
No way to record in 720 or 1080i on a DVD?
post #60 of 172 Old 04-29-2012, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 90
AVCHD is one way but the disc is only playable on BD players. Their is another format which I can't think of right now but it's only playable in HD DVD players. Depending on compression and size of blank(SL or DL) you can't get much more than 1-1 1/2hrs/DVD.
The only formats that will play in standard DVD players are SD.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Tivo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page