DVD Recording Showing Smaller Size Picture?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Pioneer DVR-640H which has been great over the last 3 years however; I have been trying to record some HD Winnipeg Jets ( NHL ) Games onto the DVD Recorder however, when doing so the size of the picture going through the Recorder shrinks and a black bar is found at the top and bottom of the picture. I know that the 720p HD Signal is reduced to 480p going through DVD Recorder but, is there a way to fix this annoying problem as I'm sure the picture is distorted in the process. ( See pictures below )

I have noticed there are a few DVD Recorders on the market now that have DVD Outputs but, Don't know if any new DVD Recorder can fix this issue.

Is there a way to fix what I have currently AND if not, is there a DVD Recorder that doesn't change picture sizes of HD Recordings when put through it?

I have tried every type of setting on the DVD Recorder however, do not see a Setting for output on the Cable box.

Thanks very much,

PICTURE GOING THROUGH HD CABLE BOX TO TV( Cable box Made by Pace for Shaw Cable Company )

By jhendrix70 at 2011-09-27

PICTURE GOING THROUGH HD CABLE BOX, THROUGH DVD RECORDER TO TV:

By jhendrix70 at 2011-09-27
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Most cable boxes won't output a widescreen picture from the composite or S-Video outputs. There isn't much you can do about it other than using zoom on your TV if it has it.
post #3 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Your cable box is causing the top and bottom bars (letterboxing) because it won't output 16:9 widescreen (WS) via its composite or S-Video outputs. It WILL however if you use the box's Component RGB or HDMI outputs, but you'll need a converter for that as described here.

Here's another help file on the first few of those converters with some info on my non-STB tests for quality & WS preservation from DVD players.
post #4 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

It WILL however if you use the box's Component RGB or HDMI outputs, but you'll need a converter for that as described here.

I forgot about those.
post #5 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for the info! I'm actually trying to keep a record of these games not just for myself but, for TNS&E ( Owners of Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club )

Now, if i'm understanding you guys correctly; If I get this item below, and run Component Video direct from Cable box INTO the converter, and S-Video into DVDR, it should fix the problem.

Currently i'm running a S-Video cable direct from Cable box to DVDR with Red/White audio cables.

$43 Component-to-Composite/S-Video Converter.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Thanks again Guys!
post #6 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 16
On my own TV, the setting that produces a true widescreen picture on a digital channel will produce a picture distorted in exactly the same way as above when playing a Standard Def channel that's running a letterboxed picture.

What's happening there is the recorder is being fed a composite or S-Video picture, which is getting the black bars into the recording. (The recording has a letterboxed version of the widescreen program, in a 4x3 frame.)

The TV needs to be changed from the widescreen setting to "zoom". (Right now the letterboxed recording is being stretched left and right, but not up and down.)

Being set on "zoom" will make the TV increase the size of the picture and push the edges of the letterboxed image to the edges of the screen, in the correct aspect ratio.

In short-
The setting you use on your TV for widescreen channels isn't the right setting for the letterboxed output coming from a recorder. Switch it to "zoom" and all should be well.
post #7 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhendrix70 View Post

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for the info! I'm actually trying to keep a record of these games not just for myself but, for TNS&E ( Owners of Winnipeg Jets Hockey Club )

Now, if i'm understanding you guys correctly; If I get this item below, and run Component Video direct from Cable box INTO the converter, and S-Video into DVDR, it should fix the problem.

Currently i'm running a S-Video cable direct from Cable box to DVDR with Red/White audio cables.

$43 Component-to-Composite/S-Video Converter.

Thanks again Guys!

Yes, that's correct.
post #8 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 58
You can prove this to yourself by taking the output of your box that was going to your DVD recorder and plugging it directly into your television (composite or S-Video). It will likely have to same distortion, so the recorder is just recording what your STB is sending it, even if it isn't what you want. A few boxes can be changed to put out the picture without black bars on their S-Video and composite outputs, so you might check with your cable company. It is a very long shot, but worth a quick telephone call to tech support.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #9 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

....Now, if i'm understanding you guys correctly; If I get this item below, and run Component Video direct from Cable box INTO the converter, and S-Video into DVDR, it should fix the problem. ....

One caveat, if your STB has HDMI and you are using it some STBs will disable component. If this is the case you'd either need to switch to all component or HDMI and get a splitter/distribution amp.
post #10 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Yeah They'll find a way to get'cha every time. Disabling outputs is one of those. I'm sure that there is some explanation as to why disabling thse ports is in your best interst.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #11 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Again,

I really appreciate the fast responses. I have ordered 1 of the following and look forward to seeing how it works out. I will advise,

You've made a Jets Fan and Their Media team very happy! Cheers guys,

** Out of Curiosity: Does anyone know of a timeframe for Blu-Ray Recorders coming to US and Canada? **
post #12 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

The 12th on Never! Too many opposing and powerful ($$$) forces here!
post #13 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Again,

I really appreciate the fast responses. I have ordered 1 of the following and look forward to seeing how it works out. I will advise,

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2...

Not to discourage use of these converters, but wouldn't using the TV's zoom setting have been less expensive?
post #14 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Not to discourage use of these converters, but wouldn't using the TV's zoom setting have been less expensive?

Loses some quality for VIEWING, but the OP wants to RECORD what's coming out of the box for DVD distribution. W/o the converter, he'd RECORD the letterbox bars.
post #15 of 15 Old 09-27-2011, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo View Post

Loses some quality for VIEWING, but the OP wants to RECORD what's coming out of the box for DVD distribution. W/o the converter, he'd RECORD the letterbox bars.

Gotcha. Wants to record IN widescreen, not letterbox. That makes sense, then.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page