How well will my Maggie get along with ATT UVerse? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 34 Old 10-03-2011, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wifey is po'd at Comcast due to freezing/pixelization and loss of signal issues that they can't/won't fix plus the 'orrible cost involved.

The ATT salesman has her believing that life will be SO much better if we would just switch over toUVerse. Does anybody here have it and if so, how do you like it and do their fancy multi-channel DVR boxes have an S-video output that will play nice with my 2160A for recording?

Thanks,
Milton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 10-03-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Yes, people are recording and copying from a Uverse STB with most reporting odd success with premium stuff and no-copy flag on other stuff, esp. if they try to record/copy direct to DVD. DVD's are more restrictive on what they can copy compared to the HDD.

Bottom Line: With a filter like either of the first two here between the STB and the Mag, you should be able to copy most or all of what you want to either the HDD or a DVD.

I searched the Sticky thread on these units (click #1 in my sig.) and there are still only 27 posts that mention Uverse and none provide any setup help.

One mentioned a Residential Gateway (RG) unit but also provided no setup help.

We could use a Uverse subscriber who will be generous and share some setup advice to help others... in the Sticky thread, of course (click #1 in my sig.)!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #3 of 34 Old 10-03-2011, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks master wajo for the speedy response. That's one less thing to worry about with doing a switch-over.

I'm already using the TBC-1000 I had left over from my amateur S-VHS editing days and it deals with the CP issue pretty well. If you listen real close, you can hear all the bad ju-ju electrons screaming in agony as they are digitally torn asunder and put back together into a more polite order.
post #4 of 34 Old 10-03-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Most of the Uverse subscribers we hear from are none too thrilled with the service, sticking with it mostly because they have no choice, so switching from ComCast has a 50/50 chance of "frying pan to fire" results re artifacting and other issues. Uverse is also far and away the most copy-protection-infested system out there, so count on needing one of the accessory filter boxes wajo referred to (in your case your DataVideo TBC-1000 should do the trick).

This would apply to all DVD recorders in general, not just the Magnavox. As wajo noted, Uverse can of course be successfully used with a Magnavox as long as you understand the hookup may be different from cable. Some cable subscribers who are used to tuning channels thru the Magnavox tuner may be disappointed to learn Uverse can require its "decoder box" tuner for some or all channels (depending on the Uverse installation specs for your area). The box (and potential need for a filter) complicates or negates your ability to set multiple timer programs on different channels. There are workarounds, but things are no longer as simple as connecting a cable from your wall directly to your DVD recorder. In this respect a Uverse hookup is more akin to FiOS or satellite than to cable.
post #5 of 34 Old 10-03-2011, 03:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

You should be well covered then!

If you end up using your 2160 with Uverse, maybe you could post some setup instructions or tips in the Sticky thread... it'll be a first!?

Some tips like these (maybe like FIOS?) for coordinated timer recording from a Uverse STB would also ge GREAT!

|
|
|
post #6 of 34 Old 10-04-2011, 01:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
The non-DVR U-verse tuners do not have manual timers or a reminder feature. The only way I've ever heard of anyone getting the channels to change is with an IR blaster.
post #7 of 34 Old 10-04-2011, 05:14 AM

A friend has Uverse in CT and he was complaining just recently about that same thing, that he can't set a timer in the Uverse box to automatically tune to a channel at a given time. He was more interested in the ability to pre-select movies to watch through the evening, and have the box tune to them automatically, but the same kind of function would be needed to record from the box with an external recorder.

For me, my Scientific Atlanta cable box has a VCR record/timer feature and I can specify a program in advance, and it automatically tunes to the channel during that time period. I then just set my recorder to record from the box's svideo outputs during the same time period. Two steps, but I don't mind that.
post #8 of 34 Old 10-04-2011, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input ya'll.

Wifey & I have not decided what her decision is yet. We plan to go with their DVR box if we do make the switch so setting up the box to change channels & matching that time with the maggie won't be necessary anymore.

Not having seen what their DVR box looks like or what outputs it has, I was concerned if any recording of previously DVR'd programming via the maggie was possible. Hopefully it does have outputs other than HDMI.
post #9 of 34 Old 10-04-2011, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Are there any cheap VCR's that can IR change a channel around any more? It may be possible to use those to do the channel changing via timer. I thought they would still change channels even if the tape was full. They just would not record. Just a thought.
post #10 of 34 Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The only fly in that ointment is VCRs are now quite old and new STBs tend to use new IR codes, which the old VCR may not have
If you plan on using a dual tuner DVR channel changing channels probably won't be that big of a deal. With my dual tuner Tivo I never record directly to my DVDR. I record everything to my Tivo and then play my Tivo and record to my DVDR in realtime for the things I want to archive.
While it is possible to network the Tivo to a PC and burn DVDs that way I prefer the realtime burn with my DVDRs for several reasons.
post #11 of 34 Old 10-04-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

I did a little Googling and found a .pdf download for the exact Cisco DVR box that would be installed. A buddy here at work has had U-Verse for a while now and verified that his DVR box is the same one. It has HDMI, component, S-video and composite outputs, just like the Cisco (non DVR) HD box that I have now so my hookup should be the same.

My buddy is very happy with U-Verse once they came out after the initial quickie install, tore out all the Comcast wiring/splitters/amps and installed fresh wiring. He says he has no audio dropouts and overall good performance.

Man, I'm really tempted by their less expensive deal that comes with more features plus a gift card sign-up bonus. It turns out that by good fortune/coinky-dinky, I'm 2 houses away from their junction box-gizmo so I should get good performance.
post #12 of 34 Old 10-12-2011, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post

I did a little Googling and found a .pdf download for the exact Cisco DVR box that would be installed. A buddy here at work has had U-Verse for a while now and verified that his DVR box is the same one. It has HDMI, component, S-video and composite outputs, just like the Cisco (non DVR) HD box that I have now so my hookup should be the same.

My buddy is very happy with U-Verse once they came out after the initial quickie install, tore out all the Comcast wiring/splitters/amps and installed fresh wiring. He says he has no audio dropouts and overall good performance.

Man, I'm really tempted by their less expensive deal that comes with more features plus a gift card sign-up bonus. It turns out that by good fortune/coinky-dinky, I'm 2 houses away from their junction box-gizmo so I should get good performance.

I've had them both, UVerse has a great DVR set up for whole house, but their HD quality is substandard compared to comcast
post #13 of 34 Old 10-13-2011, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter

Ouch, thanks for the info Bill. I *assumed* HD was HD; ie: Comcast's 1080i is the same as U-Verse's 1080i, no?

I'm happy with the Comcast HD PQ when it's working right. Mine takes spells though where it's blocky, pixellated, sound cuts off or stutters and the screen goes black at times for a few seconds. They send out a tech and of course, it works fine and they can't find anything wrong. Hence our looking around for something else so I can scream "GOODBYE!" to Comcast.
post #14 of 34 Old 10-13-2011, 06:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ouch, thanks for the info Bill. I *assumed* HD was HD; ie: Comcast's 1080i is the same as U-Verse's 1080i, no?

I'm happy with the Comcast HD PQ when it's working right. Mine takes spells though where it's blocky, pixellated, sound cuts off or stutters and the screen goes black at times for a few seconds. They send out a tech and of course, it works fine and they can't find anything wrong. Hence our looking around for something else so I can scream "GOODBYE!" to Comcast.

How long have you had a wire to the pole or in the ground? It may be time for comcast to replace it. Ours lasted ten years, and was pretty "beat" up.
post #15 of 34 Old 10-13-2011, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

It's been at least 10-12 yrs. since a neighbor dug through our cable and it had to be replaced. You may be right that the cable is shot.

It's not likely that Comcast will be replacing it anytime soon though with it working most of the time. I'm going to raise he!! one last time and tell them they'll lose a 21 yr customer to their competition if they don't fix it right and give me a cheaper rate to boot. I'll let you know how that works out for me.
post #16 of 34 Old 10-13-2011, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Apparently Comcast does NOT compress your local HD channels, they may slightly compress non local cable channels. From what I've read Uverse compresses everything, some may not notice but others do for sure.
post #17 of 34 Old 10-13-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Hence our looking around for something else so I can scream "GOODBYE!" to Comcast.

Once you see U-verse's HD, you'll probably be screaming "GOODBYE!" to them just as loud, once you finally get rid of it (their SD is very good, though - although I don't imagine that matters much in your case).
post #18 of 34 Old 10-13-2011, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks very much for the good info! That's why I come to you guys.

I'm still amazed & delighted (even after 2 years) with the PQ I get with my 50 in. Panasonic plasma on good HD channels when Comcast is working right so I don't think I'd be happy with U-Verse if their PQ is visibly worse all the time...even if it's cheaper. I know myself well enough to know that I'd be grumbling about it all the time if I could see a difference.

Time to raise cain with Comcast & see if they'll take care of the problem.
post #19 of 34 Old 10-14-2011, 05:49 PM

While we're on the subject of UVerse and quality:

One UVerse "gotcha" that some people overlook in the fine print is that the cable TV bandwidth is not unlimited, so you have a limit to the number of different channels you can watch in HD in a single household. It may be as few as two TVs watching two different channels, and when the third HDTV tries to watch a third channel, you get a message on that TV saying sorry, you have to either watch the same program as one of the other TVs to see HD, or you have to watch the program you want to watch in SD. I think a DVR recording an HD program is included in that count.

It may be two or three HD channel-at-a-time limit, I'm not a customer so I don't know the accurate number. But my friend in CT was one of those who didn't pay attention to that, and was shocked when his kids fired up the third HDTV in the family room to watch something different from the living room and the bedroom, and they got that message.
post #20 of 34 Old 10-21-2011, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Update: I tracked down all the U-Verse users in my acquaintance (5) and all of them except one were pi$$ed off at them for various reasons.

SWMBO called Comcast and reminded them that we were 21 year, upper tier customers and that we were extremely frustrated & ready to change to a competitor because of the poor PQ consistency. They sent out a young tech the next day and he cut off & replaced every connector starting at the post in the back yard all the way to the splitter/amp in the attic, which he replaced with a newer version.

Man, what a change! I can see the difference in PQ and we've had nary a stutter, glitch or freeze since he left. At least now we're getting something closer to what we pay for. Lesson to self: "Don't be a complacent Mr. Nice Guy when it comes to a high-priced service."

Now if we could just wrestle a better deal out of 'em.
post #21 of 34 Old 10-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

I am glad that they finally sent some one who did what was needed. I was told that just doing signal test, does not cut it.
post #22 of 34 Old 10-21-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtofly View Post

I was told that just doing signal test, does not cut it.

For sure. That's what the 1st guy they sent out did. He didn't go up in the attic, outside or anything; just did 1 test and pronounced our entire installation as good as anybody's. His excuse was that they were having intermittent problems with the (then) new XFinity system.

The guy that fixed it pulled up our history and said "Hmmm, your last tech was my trainer." He must've been a much better trainer than fixer!
post #23 of 34 Old 10-21-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well, you know what they say - "those who can, do; those who can't, teach".
post #24 of 34 Old 01-06-2012, 11:11 AM

To wajo, DICKEYBIRD, CitiBear, etc:

I just ended a chat with a MonoPrice.com tech (Joreail A) who made it very clear that their video converters (including the 7114 and 8667 models you mention above) will NOT strip copy protection, yet, you guys say otherwise.

I have the Mag 515 (love it, still learning it) and AT&T's UVerse (have everything, like it a lot: it's light-years better than Charter cable!). Most channels are recordable, but every once-in-a-while a few (Showtime and The Movie Channel) are UVerse "copy protected" - my Mag flashes the 'uh-uh, no-no, you can't record this...' error.

What gives?
post #25 of 34 Old 01-06-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by phimgs View Post

To wajo, DICKEYBIRD, CitiBear, etc:

I just ended a chat with a MonoPrice.com tech (Joreail A) who made it very clear that their video converters (including the 7114 and 8667 models you mention above) will NOT strip copy protection, yet, you guys say otherwise.

I have the Mag 515 (love it, still learning it) and AT&T's UVerse (have everything, like it a lot: it's light-years better than Charter cable!). Most channels are recordable, but every once-in-a-while a few (Showtime and The Movie Channel) are UVerse "copy protected" - my Mag flashes the 'uh-uh, no-no, you can't record this...' error.

What gives?

Not sure, but he may be saying what is required.

I used to link to Amazon for these converters but noticed the sellers grew and multiplied and some of the units looked "different." That's why I decided to limit the links in my help file to just Monoprice as one potentially honest seller.

Since I just found out that Lenkeng, the original mfgr, issued a news release about their products being counterfeited, and with your note, I did another search and found an Ebay seller for what is supposed to be Lenkeng's LKV-7611 (Component conv.) with a pic without ANY such ident. The unit I have that DID strip CP was from Monoprice and it DOES have not only Monoprice's name in upper left but also the LKV-7611 model # in lower left. Also "Component to Composite Converter" in upper right.

Here's the Component converter on Lenkeng's website, showing that they (or someone) must make Monoprice's units with their name, etc. on it.

It seems all original Lenkeng converters (direct from them) say "Video Converter" in large lettering on toip center of boxes.

I've taken pics of both the Component and HDMI converters I used that do strip CP and will post them in the help file for at least SOME help in identification.

My HDMI filter from an Amazon seller that worked well has no other I.D. beyond the name "HDMI Converter." Ijust went to the Lenkeng site and my converter does NOT look like theirs. Theirs has "Video Converter" in the center top with HDMI in large letters in upper left, as shown here, so MY HDMI converter might be counterfeit but maybe I lucked out anyway!

|
|
|
post #26 of 34 Old 01-06-2012, 02:39 PM

Thanks wajo. Both the LKV381 and LKV7611 are currently on back-order at MonoPrice.com. I'll have to look elsewhere.
Quote:

I've taken pics . . . and will post them in the help file . . .

Sorry, but where would I find this help file?
post #27 of 34 Old 01-06-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by phimgs View Post

Thanks wajo. Both the LKV381 and LKV7611 are currently on back-order at MonoPrice.com. I'll have to look elsewhere.
Sorry, but where would I find this help file?

Here's the help file.

Click #1 iun my sig. for a double-indexed list of other info and help files.

|
|
|
post #28 of 34 Old 01-06-2012, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

They won't admit to the converters stripping CP because that could be potentially illegal. You'll just have to take our word for it, they do and you'll never see it advertised as such
post #29 of 34 Old 01-07-2012, 05:47 AM

It's been my experience that component to composite converters don't strip out copyright protection because they don't need to! Most of the cable and satellite boxes I've encountered don't have any form of protection on the component outputs, because the designers never anticipated anyone being able to record from them, and instead apply protection to the composite outputs and luminance channel of svideo (and of course DRM to HDMI as well now).

So the Monoprice tech may actually have been technically correct in saying their component to composite converters don't strip out protection, and not just being vague due to any legal issues.
post #30 of 34 Old 01-09-2012, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

An update on the original issue that had me looking into Uverse:

The Comcast signal quality problems have gotten so bad on & off over the last couple months that it's unbearable. We've spent a ton of time on the phone with them; numerous techs have been to the house and they've now replaced all cables & connectors from the STB's out; replaced the amp in the attic plus its power supply; they dug a new trench across the back yard and laid down a new cable from the house to the "post" and claim that the main hub gizmo down the street has been verified good. I noticed that each time they worked on it, it would be perfect for 2 to 3 days before screwing up again. Hmmmm.

The last tech they sent out gave me his cell phone# and told me to call him when it was actively screwing up and he would call his field tech boss and have him run tests from on high to see what was happening. Early last week it got really bad again so I called the tech. He said he'd call Mr. Wizard who would call us back. Never heard a peep out of the guy but badabing-badaboom...it started working perfectly. Yesterday, total crap again so wifey called the tech today and he said he'd get Mr. Wizard on it and have him call us. Guess what, no call back from him but suddenly it's working perfectly again.

I swear I think the Wizard guy has a Comcast software package that shows all the little groups of poor schmucks with colored bar graphs, green, yellow & red. When my green bar slowly slides across to red and I call and raise cain, he clicks on the bar & slides it across to green and some poor guy's down the street turns red and he gets crap reception until he calls & yells at them. That's all it can be!

They make me so furious it's unbelievable. I'd love to tell them to stuff it but the alternatives are probably worse.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page