Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-19-2011, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
I need help with my recorder, i do something bad ;(
I get the HDD out from my recorder and put it to PC because I want to copy all videos from it to my PC. PC recognise disk but don't see any partition on it ;( When I saw that I can't copy my videos I put HDD back to recorder, but when I turn it on it display HDDERR and opens the CD tray.

Can somebody help me please?

Thank's for all help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-30-2012, 10:23 PM

i can make a dupe of the hard drive for you
but when you put it on your machine it will reformat it

each panny has a key code and if the key code does not match the
machine that it came with , then it will ask you to reformat the hard drive

if you want me to make a copy of the hard drive operating system then i can do that for you ..

this unit will only recognize a 250gb partititon even if you put a 500gb hard drive etc . into it

mine has a
Product Description
The Samsung SpinPoint P120 SP2514N 250 GB IDE Hard Drive is fully compatible with PC systems.The Hard Drive connect by: IDE, DMA/ATA-133 (Ultra) for Internal utilization. Spinning up to 7200 RPM and offering capacity as large as 250 GB

Product Identifiers
Brand Samsung
Model Spinpoint P120 SP2514N
MPN SP2514N
UPC 2001206752005, 8808979540372

Key Features
Enclosure Internal
Capacity 250 GB
Buffer Size 8 MB
Hard Drive Type HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
Spindle Speed 7200 RPM
Interface ATA/ATAPI-7, DMA/ATA-133 (Ultra), IDE

i am located in New York ....

so if you need this let me know

MortonWorkEmail@Gmail.Com
post #3 of 8 Old 09-18-2012, 09:21 AM

Hallo,

I have exactly the same problem as Dentyl.

After trying to Connect to PC, the PANA show message HDDERR and want to CD with firmware.
Could you kindly send me the copy HDD too? To email or to internet storage.

The good software for bit copy of HDD is HxD.

I am from Czech from EUROPE, but i hope, then the model DMR-EH67 is probably the same.

Thank you
JAN
post #4 of 8 Old 09-18-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
THE MORAL OF THIS STORY BEING, once again, for the 500th time since I first began reading AVS in 2006::

Do NOT ever remove the HDD from your DVD/HDD recorder and assume your PC can just pull videos off it as if they were PC files. It won't work, and your PC (Windows, Mac, Linux) can damage the secret hidden recorder identity codes embedded on the HDD just by trying to mount it and read it.

With very few exceptions, all DVD/HDD recorders made by all brand names dating back to 2003 have intentionally had their HDD files formatted to be unreadable by a PC, and most are also "booby-trapped" to make the recorder give an error even if you just remove the HDD and put it back.

Unless the recorder is broken or dead, and you need to try to rescue the videos still on its HDD, and you have special HDD salvage software and the skills to use it: don't remove the HDD from your recorder for any reason. Most PC experiments fail, leaving you with a useless recorder or forcing you to erase the HDD before the recorder will recognize and read it again.

A few brands (Funai, Philips, Magnavox) will let you remove and put back the drive without a big problem, although you still can't use a PC to read the files. Panasonic and Toshiba may insist on erasing the HDD when putting it back. Sony and Pioneer might require special remotes and DVDs be used to reset the HDD. Unless you have complete service instructions for your specific recorder, don't take chances fooling with its HDD.
post #5 of 8 Old 11-17-2012, 02:30 PM

I am new here and absolutely no expert but I have to disagree with the previous statement. I just removed, read, and put back the drive of a Panasonic DMR-EH50 without any problem at all. Not sure what would happen with a newer unit but this one certainly dates from well after 2003 and removing and reading the drive is very straightforward and causes no issues.

Here is how I did it: I removed the drive, changed the jumper to master, plugged it into the IDE connector on my test computer, booted up. Windows does not recognise the drive and won't mount it. This is normal. Instead, I used a hex editor (Winhex) to read the physical drive directly, which worked without problem. I then searched for the hex string that marks the beginning of the first mpeg data (00 01 BA). I then marked a block from that point to the end of the drive (a little under 80 gigs) and wrote it out to a spare drive via the USB port. This took about two hours.

Once the data was written, I disconnected the Panasonic drive, restored the jumper settings, and put it back in the DVR. This worked just as before when I switched it on. All the data was still on the drive and there was no problem accessing any of it. As far as the DVR was concerned, nothing had changed. As long as no data on the Panasonic drive is altered in any way, there should be no problem doing this. I doubt this is any different with the newer units though I don't know for certain.

Once I had all the data copied to the other drive, it was easy to view it and extract any films or TV programs I wanted. I used an excellent little free mpeg splitter program for this called Mpeg2Cut2. It works brilliantly and it was very easy to mark and save the videos I wanted. I was even able to recover deleted video, though that was somewhat fragmented. The rest, however, was not fragmented at all and all I had to do was mark the segments I wanted and save them to new files. I was actually surprised at how easy it all was.

I don't know how this would work with other brands, but with the Panasonic it is smooth and effortless. The data at the beginning of the Panasonic drive is probably used by the unit to boot up and certainly shouldn't be touched, but the video data can be copied and manipulated any way you like without any problem at all.
post #6 of 8 Old 11-17-2012, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreng View Post

I am new here and absolutely no expert but I have to disagree with the previous statement. I just removed, read, and put back the drive of a Panasonic DMR-EH50 without any problem at all..

Welcome to AVS, and thanks for your info! Its GREAT that you posted step-by-step instructions that did work successfully with your DMR-EH50, so we now have at least this one model thoroughly documented: it will help a lot of Panasonic owners zero in on a usable methodology. Some of the other threads on this topic have gotten very long and complicated, hopefully your very clearly outlined instructions will be more easily found here in this thread.

You are both very fortunate your model of Panasonic tolerated this, and FAR more tech savvy than most of the people who want to "read their recorder files out to their PC." While your method is rather more simple and less mysterious than some others have posted, it still requires what casual consumers would consider terrifying use of arcane tools. Use the word "hex editor," and you've lost 70% of the people asking the question. Mention "I then searched for the hex string that marks the beginning of the first mpeg data (00 01 BA)" and you've lost another 29%. When the typical recorder owner posts here about this issue, what they really want to do is just slap the HDD into their PC, and magically see all the recordings in Windows exactly as if they were a folder of AVIs in "My Documents". There is no way to obtain that type of instant-gratification access to a recorder HDD, so the cautions still apply to those who are not prepared for tricky PC work. Many recorders are additionally booby trapped to reject return of the HDD once removed (this varies by brand and model year, some are OK with it) and there's a risk of the PC OS munging some secret cache data as it tries to mount the HDD (many reports of this re older Pioneers, Toshibas and Sonys- esp the PAL versions).
post #7 of 8 Old 11-17-2012, 07:51 PM

CitiBear: Thank you for the welcome and kind words. Maybe I should add that the computer I used was running XP. I don't trust Windows and there is a risk some versions may try to 'fix' drives they can't read. I don't know this for certain but I have seen this kind of behaviour with other things. The older the OS, the better the chance that it won't try to do something 'smart'. This may be a reason why some DVR drives have been affected. Linux can also be a good choice for this kind of thing, but I don't have enough experience with that.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-24-2014, 07:13 AM

Hi all,

I have an exact same recorder Panasonic DMR-EH67 and my hdd stoped working, i have purchased a WD 250GB IDE/ATA hard drive becose it turned out that the previous one died. After the replacement (what i did my self) it reported a HDD ERR, and of course i could not find anywhere to download the firmware. So after few months of strugle i managed to make a firmware update disc.

And "repaired" my recorder, later on somebody had a same problem and i tried my Firmware Update Disc and it worked.

So i can say i own a Panasonic DMR-EH67 firmware update disc if somebody needs to repair the Hard Drive , or replace theirs.

Feel free to contact me if need help, any hard drive of 250GB will work just needs to be ATA not SATA

Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page