Stacking Panasonics, Tivo? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-21-2011, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have two Pan EH-55's, one on top of the other, and am trying out a Tivo. I have very limited space. Unsafe to put the Tivo on top? Any good wall mounts for the Tivo, that would be easy to install? I can't find a shelf the right size. Should be about 17" wide, at least 12" deep.

As you can see, in another thread, I would like split the cable signal between these items, but I don't know how that would work out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I have a Tivo HD(on the bottom) with a EH-55 on top of that, a ES-25 on top of the EH-55 and finally 2 CM-7000 CECBs on top of the ES-25(on and on the other side of the ES-25 I have a 4x1 AV non powered switcher). Probably had this configuration for a couple years with no issues The Tivo and EH-55 have a fan(Tivo is on all the time and EH-55 only comes on if things get too warm inside) but truthfully I've not heard it turn on unless the room is very warm and I'm doing lots of editing.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I am against stacking A/V gear. You're dealing with TWO enemies.
1) Heat. 2) Weight.
I don't own any of the Tivos or Panasonics that you or jjeff own and I'm not saying that your gear will get ruined - clearly jjeff's gear seems to function just fine.

I will say with certainty that you are RISKING damage.

At the very minimum I would use some separators at the edges of the gear as illustrated in my crude drawing. 1) This will help disperse heat and 2) the weight will be on the edges were A/V gear is at its strongest instead of weighing down the middle of an A/V component were most risk is due to damaging internal components, especially moving parts and circuit boards.

That said I do not recommend stacking of any kind.
LL
Old 10-21-2011, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 99
While I agree stacking may not be the best choice, when you've got as many DVDRs and related electronics the way I do stacking becomes somewhat of a necessity
I also agree that heat is detrimental to electronics but most hdd DVDRs and DVR have a fan to help with heat dissipation AFA weight bearing, most equipment have small feet near the 4 corners which helps put the weight near the stronger edge and somewhat separate the components.
Of course increasing the distance would always be better, its just one only has so much vertical headroom in the typical rack
Old 10-21-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
In addition to spacers I have supplemental cooling fans that keep air circulating around the DVD recorders and HDD/DVD recorders of my seven device equipment stack in the home office. I keep amps, Motorola converter boxes and other heat emitting devices well away from equipment stacks.

This 25 August 2010 post describes the placement of supplemental cooling fans in my home office:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post19100676

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
Old 10-21-2011, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Fans, that's a very good idea DigaDo. Whenever it gets hot around here I always use fans to disperse heat away from my A/V gear. When I was younger I used to play very loud music for hours on end and that would really heat up my audio amp and having a fan disperse heat really helped.

Enclosed are actual pictures I grabbed from local craigslist ads.
Gee and some people wonder why their VCR won't track and their DVD won't read.
LL
LL
Old 10-22-2011, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of "spacers" between the units. Is this something that you can buy, or make yourself? More details please. Is there some kind a rack that would allow a couple of inches between each unit?
Old 10-23-2011, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
At most any hardware store, you can buy a variety of stick-on rubber feet. They may be round, square, whatever.They are usually about 1/4" thick, or so. You can stick two or three of them, stacked, on the existing feet of your equipment, providing 3/4 - 1" spacing between DVD players, DVDRs and VCRs. Those pieces of equipment don't produce much heat. For AVRs, amps, older Moto DVRs, you need at least a couple of inches, better three or more. And, of course heavy equipment should never be stacked on light equipment.

I have an equipment stack 6' tall, w/o amps or speakers. Almost everything is on separate shelves in my equip. rack, with plenty of space. But, using my spacer method above, I have one stack of two DVDRs, and a DVD player on one shelf, and another stack of a 400 disc DVD changer, with two SVHS VCRs on top on another shelf. I have never had any problems, even though I don't have air conditioning (just fans), and it gets hot in the house in the summer.

Oh, there are a ZILLION varieties of equipment racks, designed to allow plenty of breathing space between components. Good ones ain't cheap!
Old 10-23-2011, 04:12 PM

Liked: 11
Yes, it's ashame that Pioneer Elite doesn't make
Stereo Equipment racks anymore!
If anyone here has these, let me know. I'll buy them.
I really need the ones that matched with the
64" inch Pioneer Elite TV!
I need 2, but I would settle for 1.
Old 10-24-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasta View Post

Thanks for the replies. I like the idea of "spacers" between the units. Is this something that you can buy, or make yourself? More details please. Is there some kind a rack that would allow a couple of inches between each unit?

I too was going to suggest spacers. I was too late I guess, so I will agree with using spacers. I had a pretty deep rack for a long time and the spacers I used were just some 1 inch by 1/2 inch pieces of wood running the length of the units, front to back. I held them in place using some velcro strips from a hardware store. I would recommend that instead of the wood strips unning the length of the machine, that you use two shorter pieces on each side, to assist air flow.

The fan idea is very good too.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Old 10-26-2011, 02:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks again, for the replies. Any specific racks for 3-4 units, with a couple of inches between each?
Old 10-26-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Click my sig and you'll see my unit. I forget who makes it, but if you look up component stand on eBay it's like the fourth or fifth one down. I've also seen them in black.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 10-26-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I call this old photo "How to connect a DVD recorder." In those days I wasn't using spacers but there were several supplemental cooling fans aimed into and around this equipment stack.

At the lower left may be seen a paper clip antenna fitted to a Zenith DTT901 CECB. Other equipment includes, from the top, a Philips 3576, two Panasonic DMR-EZ17 models, a Toshiba M745 VCR, and a Panasonic DMR-ES35. The Toshiba M745 VCR has been retired and one of the Panasonic DMR-EZ17 models is now a parts machine. The three other devices are still in daily use.
LL

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)