MAgnavox MDR515H and Logic Design video filter - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-01-2011, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My wife and I bought a Logic Design (Zorilla) video filter a while back and, before we could test it our DVD recorder died, then we replaced it and I was never able to get a tape to copy. I'm using a Sony SLV-495 VCR and a Magnavox MDR515H DVR/DVD recorder with composite cables. I've tried every switch on every setting on the filter and was unable to record to either the HD or a DVD.

I finally removed the VCR and hooked it up to my new PC with a video capture card with the filter between them and get a "No video signal detected, check the source video" message even though I can see and hear the movie in the preview window.

What could my problem be? It's been WAY past the 30 days so I'm stuck with the filter regardless so I'd really like to get it to work if only once. Any suggestions? I've also tried an older Toshiba VCR with the same results. I love the MDR515H but wish I could get the filter to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-01-2011, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by VampireSlug View Post

I'm using a Sony SLV-495 VCR and a Magnavox MDR515H DVR/DVD recorder with composite cables. I've tried every switch on every setting on the filter and was unable to record to either the HD or a DVD.

Maybe you have "S-Video" selected for the input you are using. In the Magnavox menu go to General Setting> Video> Video Input and make sure "Video In" is selected for the connection you are using for the VCR.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-02-2011, 02:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Maybe you have "S-Video" selected for the input you are using. In the Magnavox menu go to General Setting> Video> Video Input and make sure "Video In" is selected for the connection you are using for the VCR.

I am able to copy non-protected VHS tapes so the connection is working, even passing through the filter, but the minute Macrovision rears its ugly head everything comes to a screeching halt.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-02-2011, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:

I am able to copy non-protected VHS tapes so the connection is working, even passing through the filter, but the minute Macrovision rears its ugly head everything comes to a screeching halt.

Maybe shoot a PM to Logic Design. He probably has some tips for you.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-02-2011, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Here is another unresolved thread concerning the Video Filter. I've been waiting for resolutions before purchasing.

That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse. (Romans 1:19-20)
post #6 of 10 Old 11-02-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Not that it helps the OP but with my (3) trusty Sima CT-2s I have yet to have a DVD(or BD) refuse to copy Unfortunately 2 of the 3 slightly raise the black level so I mainly share the 1 between multiple DVDRs but I'm really impressed how these things last. Note I always unplug them when not in use(they tend to run rather warm) which may be part of the reason they have lasted so long.
I'm not sure why the one has the correct black level and the other 2 do not but when I took one apart I saw nothing to adjust so I'm just chalking it up to rather poor QC It's one reason I was also interested in the VF because I had not heard of black level problems but since I have one good Sima I guess that's enough
post #7 of 10 Old 11-03-2011, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I bought a Magnavox MDR515 myself, to study what the issue is.
Have been working on this for many hours now. It involves, not only the CGMS line 20 capability but, also using line 21 field 2 XDS capability.
That is, the CGMS data can also be included in line 21 fiels 2 using Extended Data Services protocol. This is all part of CEA-608B Standard. After checking out that I am complying with that, the Magnavox is still intermittent when recording.
If I remove the colorburst component of the S-Video signal, for example, the unit records fine, which tells me that the unit is also looking at colorstripe although I have not actually seen it in the video source.

So, I am still working on it.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-03-2011, 08:39 PM

I have the 515 and I must say am very pleased with it so far despite the primitive way to name a title. That's about the lone complaint I have.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-04-2011, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Design View Post

Have been working on this for many hours now. It involves, not only the CGMS line 20 capability but, also using line 21 field 2 XDS capability.
That is, the CGMS data can also be included in line 21 fiels 2 using Extended Data Services protocol. This is all part of CEA-608B Standard. After checking out that I am complying with that, the Magnavox is still intermittent when recording.
If I remove the colorburst component of the S-Video signal, for example, the unit records fine, which tells me that the unit is also looking at colorstripe although I have not actually seen it in the video source.

Why are you checking the Mag 515 when he said he couldn't get the filter to work direct to his PC instead? That's ilLOGICal! Are you going to buy his PC and check that too?

He also said he had never tested the filter since he got it or the 515, so he doesn't know if it EVER worked.
Quote:

I finally removed the VCR and hooked it up to my new PC with a video capture card with the filter between them and get a "No video signal detected, check the source video" message even though I can see and hear the movie in the preview window.

post #10 of 10 Old 11-04-2011, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic Design View Post

Thanks, that's a good enough answer for me... I have confidence that you'll figure it out and get back with me.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread - Mdr515h by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page