recording a webcast - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 11-21-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I want to hook up my laptop to my tv to watch a webcast. The tv is easier to see and I will be able to follow along on my desktop. I also want to record. Can I record from the tv to dvd? Can I use a basic dvd recorder or do I need one with a hard drive? Also, do I need a dvd recorder with a tuner? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 11-21-2011, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljohn10 View Post

I want to hook up my laptop to my tv to watch a webcast. The tv is easier to see and I will be able to follow along on my desktop. I also want to record. Can I record from the tv to dvd? Can I use a basic dvd recorder or do I need one with a hard drive? Also, do I need a dvd recorder with a tuner? Thank you

There are very few TVs that have a functional "Monitor Out" feature allowing one to record from the TV.

I watch internet TV on my TVs and record that material every weekday to the internal hard drives in HDD/DVD recorders. This allows me to edit the material before high-speed dubbing to DVDs. I describe my setup in this post from yesterday:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post21237439

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

--Benjamin Breckinridge Warfield (1917)
post #3 of 20 Old 11-21-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljohn10 View Post

...Can I use a basic dvd recorder or do I need one with a hard drive? Also, do I need a dvd recorder with a tuner? Thank you

You don't need a DVD recorder with a hard drive or tuner. Due to sometimes unreliable or dropped internet feeds or freeze ups, I prefer to use hard drive equipped recorders so that I may later edit/divide and reassemble content for the best results. Here are a variety of vga format converters:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...&cs_id=1011407

Keep in mind that for your intended purpose the only DVD or HDD/DVD recorder inputs useful for recording are the yellow composite video or S-Video, plus the white/red audio inputs.

I use product 4724 ($22.88) as my converter. I also use product 7189 ($0.42) to convert the Dell computer's audio output for use with white/red RCA audio cables:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

"A ROSE BY ANY OTHER NAME WILL SMELL AS SWEET. BUT IT DOES NOT FOLLOW THAT WHATEVER WE CHOOSE TO CALL A ROSE WILL POSSESS THE ROSE'S FRAGRANCE."

post #4 of 20 Old 11-21-2011, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Thank you!!
post #5 of 20 Old 02-19-2012, 01:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 45
DigaDo,

I was looking at your monoprice converter’s controls & specs.

If I want to record a PC’s video or program to my Panny DVDR, can this unit be adjusted to provide a 4:3 or 16:9 composite video signal that approximates the output video signal of other consumer video products? Or will part of the PC’s desktop background also get recorded?

IOW If I want to record a TV program from Hulu either from their website interface or their desktop interface, will the resultant DVD look the same (other than resolution) as if I had recorded the same program directly to the Panny using its ATSC OTA tuner?
post #6 of 20 Old 02-19-2012, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

DigaDo,

I was looking at your monoprice converter’s controls & specs.

If I want to record a PC’s video or program to my Panny DVDR, can this unit be adjusted to provide a 4:3 or 16:9 composite video signal that approximates the output video signal of other consumer video products? Or will part of the PC’s desktop background also get recorded?

IOW If I want to record a TV program from Hulu either from their website interface or their desktop interface, will the resultant DVD look the same (other than resolution) as if I had recorded the same program directly to the Panny using its ATSC OTA tuner?

This LKV2000 converter provides "what you see is what you get." I adjust the PC screen to display "full screen" and if the program source is widescreen that widescreen image is recorded by one of my DMR-EH50 HDD/DVD Recorders.

I've mainly been recording from GBTV, an internet TV network and You Tube. Once those images are expanded to "full screen" with the computer's mouse and the mouse icon is positioned below the visible image the buttons, task bars, navigation bars and framing disappears within a few seconds and doesn't show up in the recorded image. I should mention that the converter seems to pass through HD picture quality to the computer monitor but the feed to the various recorders I've experimented with has somewhat disappointing picture quality.

The five two-hour long weekday GBTV program recordings come in at ten hours duration. Sometimes I also record selected video highlights from the GB radio program or Real News segements. The main TV program is two hours long with live and third party commercials. Radio video or Real News highlight segments may range from two to thirty minutes each. I edit out most commercials from the main TV program to bring each program to an average of 104 minutes of editorial content and cut radio and Real News highlights if these repeat material from the main TV program. I sometimes cut "fluff" editorial content from the Friday TV program.

In order to produce a single DVD with a week's programming I record at the Panasonic EP recording mode set for 8 hours. With this recording mode the picture quality could be described as "soft focus," (but the content is more important than a sharp picture).

Following editing and visiting the dubbing menu I determine what content will fit. (This past week's DVD has 8:36 hours of content with only 5MB of remaing space, that's tight!) I high-speed dub a TY 8x Premium Line master DVD, usually with around 8:30 hours of total content. The TY master DVD is then duplicated with a CopyPal to inexpensive 16x media (often CMC media such as Magnavox or Verbatim "Life Series") for free distribution on Sunday afternoon.

Yesterday came my first experience streaming a movie through Hulu. I followed the same procedure as with GBTV and You Tube, expanding the image by clicking on the "full screen" command and positioning the mouse below the visible image. The Hulu task and navigation bars did not disappear and were recorded as part of the movie I recorded. That movie was The Brylcreem Boys (1998). Afterward I went back and edited out the brief commercials and high-speed dubbed the movie to a DVD for later viewing. Perhaps there are some Hulu controls that can minimize the task/navigation bars so they won't appear in recordings. I don't know, yet. The Hulu stream came through at "360p" according to the narrow bar at the top of the screen, certainly not the best quality, but still satisfactory for casual viewing.

post #7 of 20 Old 02-19-2012, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

DigaDo,

Thanks for the information. After you referred to the unit as LKV2000 I thought that looked like a Lenkeng type model number. I looked at their web site & there it was along with an LKV3000.
http://www.lenkeng.net/products.asp?class=34

The LKV3000 looks smaller & sleeker but I do not see any adjustments on it. I'm presumed it's dumbed down.

You said that the converter seems to pass through HD picture quality to the computer monitor but the feed to the various recorders I've experimented with has somewhat disappointing picture quality.

The unit's specs do not list any VGA HD resolutions, but Lenkeng's website states Higher resolutions are supported, while the lower the resolution is, the better the picture effect will be. From your experience does that mean lower PC resolutions mean a higher quality video output? What resolution do you usually set your PC output to?

Since you mentioned disappointing picture quality I'm thinking typical poor PQ that others have had with Lenkeng's component to composite converter. I'm not expecting great quality from Hulu & I realize it may be a subjective thing, but do feel the 360p Hulu video takes a big hit going through the converter?
post #8 of 20 Old 02-19-2012, 11:13 PM

Liked: 32
Easy way to watch from laptop to tv is something like this http://www.cooldrives.com/usb-hdmi-adapter-dvi.html As for recording tv to dvd, you would need a tuner on the laptop, that would connect via USB, and have Windows Media Center, then have third party software to take the saved file to turn it into something you could archive. Keep in mind, burning to a DVD violates copyright laws of the program.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-19-2012, 11:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Easy way to watch from laptop to tv is something like this http://www.cooldrives.com/usb-hdmi-adapter-dvi.html As for recording tv to dvd, you would need a tuner on the laptop, that would connect via USB, and have Windows Media Center, then have third party software to take the saved file to turn it into something you could archive. Keep in mind, burning to a DVD violates copyright laws of the program.

Regarding copyright laws, is there any difference if I record Fringe or CSI from an OTA antenna vs recording from Hulu?
post #10 of 20 Old 02-19-2012, 11:58 PM
AVS Special Member

DigaDo,

This is from Lenkeng’s website showing the LKV2000 & LKV3000.
http://www.lenkeng.net/Html/Product/...ith-Audio.html

I found this company, Sewell, another supplier of converters. Compare the photos to Lenkeng’s. Notice the same photos? Sewell also sells what looks like the LKV2000. I wonder if their SW-23000 is also a Lenkeng product.
http://sewelldirect.com/pc-to-tv.asp

Anyway their screenshots show some comparisons. Would you say that your VGA vs. composite quality approximates what they show?
http://sewelldirect.com/pc-to-tv-adapter.asp
post #11 of 20 Old 02-20-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:

Regarding copyright laws, is there any difference if I record Fringe or CSI from an OTA antenna vs recording from Hulu?

Yes there is, due to Hulu is a re-distribution medium.
post #12 of 20 Old 02-20-2012, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Of course, if a computer can output video and audio that a TV can make use of, then it should be possible to feed the signals into a recorder instead, and from the recorder to a TV.

In the meantime, the recorder can do its thing with the signals too.

As for the legality of doing so...

I wouldn't recommend breaking the law.

It's sort of confusing where you can record a show off the air, but recording the same program coming from a different source is forbidden. I don't fully grasp it myself. I just know it's so.
post #13 of 20 Old 02-20-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post

Of course, if a computer can output video and audio that a TV can make use of, then it should be possible to feed the signals into a recorder instead, and from the recorder to a TV.

In the meantime, the recorder can do its thing with the signals too.

As for the legality of doing so...

I wouldn't recommend breaking the law.

It's sort of confusing where you can record a show off the air, but recording the same program coming from a different source is forbidden. I don't fully grasp it myself. I just know it's so.

What about recording OTA channels from cable or satellite? It's OTA but is it also re-distribution?
post #14 of 20 Old 02-20-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 324
If you are recording this in the privacy of your home for personal use with no intent to rebroadcast, redistribute or post onto Utube, why would you even be concerned. Who will ever know or care.

This mini-discussion is actually funny when you think about it. Contrast it with all the discussion that goes on about which boxes are the best to break copy-protection for DVDR recording. Or adapters/converters to break HDMI encryption for the purpose of DVDR recording. I don't see many people too concerned with copyright in those discussions.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

post #15 of 20 Old 02-20-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:

What about recording OTA channels from cable or satellite? It's OTA but is it also re-distribution?

No, because locals through cable or satellite is not a redistribution of the signal to the end user.
post #16 of 20 Old 02-20-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DigaDo,

Thanks for the information. After you referred to the unit as LKV2000 I thought that looked like a Lenkeng type model number. I looked at their web site & there it was along with an LKV3000.
http://www.lenkeng.net/products.asp?class=34

The LKV3000 looks smaller & sleeker but I do not see any adjustments on it. I'm presumed it's dumbed down.

You said that the converter seems to pass through HD picture quality to the computer monitor but the feed to the various recorders I've experimented with has somewhat disappointing picture quality.

The unit's specs do not list any VGA HD resolutions, but Lenkeng's website states Higher resolutions are supported, while the lower the resolution is, the better the picture effect will be. From your experience does that mean lower PC resolutions mean a higher quality video output? What resolution do you usually set your PC output to?

Since you mentioned disappointing picture quality I'm thinking typical poor PQ that others have had with Lenkeng's component to composite converter. I'm not expecting great quality from Hulu & I realize it may be a subjective thing, but do feel the 360p Hulu video takes a big hit going through the converter?

When I first set up the LKV2000 converter I had to reset my PC to display 800x600 because any higher setting caused the converter output to have severe flickering. The converter does have a menu item to remedy flickering but I could not adjust that feature to get a stable output at a higher setting. At that time I was using a 2006 vintage Toshiba DVD recorder feeding an older 13" RCA CRT TV. Of course, the 800x600 setting also affected the computer monitor. That setting was unsatisfactory for my regular computer use.

I found the Toshiba recorder to be impractical so I switched the connection to a Panasonic DMR-EH50. I experimented with various PC settings for optimal computer and EH50 use and settled upon 1024x768. There was no longer any flicker. But the 1024x768 setting doesn't really improve recorded picture quality even at the full resolution SP and LP recording modes. As described in my earlier post I need the content capacity provided by the EP recording mode for my weekly compilation DVD(s).

post #17 of 20 Old 02-21-2012, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

DigaDo,

Thanks again for the information.
post #18 of 20 Old 02-29-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

DigaDo,

What about using a PC video card with a composite or S-video output? That would eliminate the VGA to composite/S-video conversion step using an external converter. Do you think that might deliver a cleaner picture?
post #19 of 20 Old 03-01-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DigaDo,

What about using a PC video card with a composite or S-video output? That would eliminate the VGA to composite/S-video conversion step using an external converter. Do you think that might deliver a cleaner picture?

Mike,

That really isn't an option for me as I would need to convert at least ten hours of streamed PC video into the common DVD format and then edit it down to around 8:30 before making a master DVD for duplication.

post #20 of 20 Old 03-01-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo View Post

Mike,

That really isn't an option for me as I would need to convert at least ten hours of streamed PC video into the common DVD format and then edit it down to around 8:30 before making a master DVD for duplication.

Is there anything in this Clevor post that could be adapted for your purposes? He records only the audio but seems that, since he's using his laptop's S-Video input... ???
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page