Dead polaroid dvd recorder - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-05-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Polaroid DRM-2001G which has recently "died". I am not wanting to get my machine repaired, as I realize that just simply is not cost effective. I have several movies and videos recorded on the built in hdd and what I would like to know is, can I install it in my computer as a slave drive, and copy those videos to a dvd using software like nero.. etc......?? What file format does this machine use to write to the hdd?? Any help with this will be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by klrowe671 View Post

I have a Polaroid DRM-2001G which has recently "died". I am not wanting to get my machine repaired, as I realize that just simply is not cost effective. What I DO want to know is, I have several movies and videos recorded on the built in hdd. Can I take that hdd out and put it in my computer as a slave drive, and copy those videos to a dvd using software like nero.. etc......?? What file format does this machine use to write to the hdd?? Any help with this will be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks..

Yes you can. You will need some extra extra time and software, in the next post are some clues about the process to follow (is not the same machine, but the concept is almost equal):

Hard Disk File System investigation for the Magnavox 2080/2160/513

If you don't have the time, just try to buy (ebay/craiglist) a working second hand DRM-2001G, put there your original HD and try to save your videos.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-08-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klrowe671 View Post

I have a Polaroid DRM-2001G which has recently "died". I am not wanting to get my machine repaired, as I realize that just simply is not cost effective. What I DO want to know is, I have several movies and videos recorded on the built in hdd. Can I take that hdd out and put it in my computer as a slave drive, and copy those videos to a dvd using software like nero.. etc......?? What file format does this machine use to write to the hdd?? Any help with this will be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks..

May I ask what died? Mine recently start putting random flashes across the display. Unplugged it, left it, and plugged it back in, nothing at all. Took the top off, and left it partially disassembled for several months, looked at the power supply, put it back together a few weeks ago, and it magically worked. Until a couple of days ago, and it did the random flashing across the display. Left it unplugged for several hours, but still dead. I've going to leave it for several weeks to see if it revives again.

I've looked over the power supply, and nothing appears burned, nor do I see any bulged capacitors. The supply gives power to the front display board, but the display board isn't sending back a signal to turn on the whole supply to power up the unit as far as I can tell. I can't find a circuit diagram for the system anywhere on the web.

If you give up on your DRM-2001G I'd like to have it to see if I can make one good one out of two bad ones. I will be happy to pay for shipping. If anyone else has one that's dead or dying, I make the same offer. Please PM me.

Thanks,

Jon
post #4 of 7 Old 12-11-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlowe View Post

May I ask what died? Mine recently start putting random flashes across the display. Unplugged it, left it, and plugged it back in, nothing at all. Took the top off, and left it partially disassembled for several months, looked at the power supply, put it back together a few weeks ago, and it magically worked. Until a couple of days ago, and it did the random flashing across the display. Left it unplugged for several hours, but still dead. I've going to leave it for several weeks to see if it revives again.

I've looked over the power supply, and nothing appears burned, nor do I see any bulged capacitors. The supply gives power to the front display board, but the display board isn't sending back a signal to turn on the whole supply to power up the unit as far as I can tell. I can't find a circuit diagram for the system anywhere on the web.

If you give up on your DRM-2001G I'd like to have it to see if I can make one good one out of two bad ones. I will be happy to pay for shipping. If anyone else has one that's dead or dying, I make the same offer. Please PM me.

Thanks,

Jon

If what I think has happened, you wouldn't have any luck with it. I fear that the fan in the unit may not have been of sufficient size to keep the unit cool enough, and the processor just basically "cooked itself"... I'm going to attempt to find a working unit on eBay after the first of the year, when I get my income tax rebate back. In the meantime, I'm going to continue to probe my dead unit to see if there is any possibility of resuscitation. Will keep you posted.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-01-2012, 02:23 PM

My Polaroid 2001G now just flashes "Hello" and does not go any further. I can only turn it off by removing the plug. Tried unplugging it for days, holding the power key while plugging etc. Even tried with a new IDE 80GB hard drive. But still no go beyond the flashing "Hello". Can someone suggest a way to resurrect the unit or is it beyond salvage? Thanks for your assistance.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-01-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I haven't owned a Polo but a common problem with older Panasonics(of the age of your Polo) that causes it to hang on HELLO is bad capacitors in the power supply.
Check this thread for detailed pictures on what a bad capacitor looks like.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=capacitors
post #7 of 7 Old 02-02-2012, 10:33 AM

I know that with Liteon recorders (and clones) hanging on "Hello" meant that either one of the drives (disc or hard) is not being recognized at bootup. So, it could be a dead disc or hard drive, or a loose connection (hopefully) of one or the other. Need to open your recorder and have a look. Fingers crossed.
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page