Thanks to whoever made the suggestion! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
As I have said on a few occasions, I have 9 Panasonic DVD recorders, and have had three others that I no longer own. The earliest one was an E85, and the latest ones are EH59 and EH69 models. All are HDD equipped. Anyway, not long after I got my first machine, the E85, I found out that Panasonic made a remote for an older machine that had an open/close button, so I got one. I started to use that remote exclusively and got so used to it that I never used the remotes that came with any of my newer machines, just the one from the older machine, an E80 I think. I eventually bought a bunch of these remotes and have used them extensiely.

lately I have been having problems with some of these remote controls. They have been heavily used, and it seems that a few of the most used buttons are not working well any longer. I have to press harder and harder for them to work. Someone here recently said that remotes could be taken apart, cleaned and returned to working condition. I don't remember who said it, or in what thread, but whoever it was is correct!

I took the worst working remote apart, which luckily was put together with screws, and not glued or hot-melted together like some remotes I have. It is merely a rubberized membrain with carbon pads and a circuit board with the opposite pads. Both the board and the membrain were filthy. (How does dirt, grime and oil get in there, between the membrain and the circuit board? I don't know!) I used contact cleaner from Radio Shack on the board, and gently washed the membrain with warm soapy water, scrubbing it with a very soft brush I use to clean mushrooms, let it all dry and reassembled it. It now works perfectly again, like new. I didn't want to have to buy a bunch of replacement ones if I didn't have to, so this was great.

Whoever made this suggestion, thanks much!

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

(How does dirt, grime and oil get in there, between the membrain and the circuit board? I don't know!)

Heh, reminds me of when I would crack open a few old TV remotes to clean them. It was like someone took a caramel candy bar and smeared it all across the circuits.

But I figure remotes aren't airtight, dust is everywhere, and we secrete all sorts of gunk. Not to mention what's on our fingers otherwise... okay, I'm going to stop there.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I only wish I could report such success with my EH-55 remote
I've taken many remotes apart over the years and always had success. Like Luke I generally find the circuit board all grimy and in serious need of a cleaning. I also use contact cleaner on the board and soap and water on the rubber membrane. The problem with my EH-55 is I can't get the stinking remote to separate. I've removed all screws I can see(two under the battery cover) but I just can't get it to separate. I tried knives and regular screwdrivers and all I've accomplished is to leave gouges in the plastic where the two halves join together
It's the PAUSE button thats requiring abnormally hard pressure but I've found if I push on the bottom of the button it doesn't require quite as much pressure. If it gets to the point of not working I just may use more force and either break something or get it apart.
I don't think anything is glued but for the life of me I can't figure the trick in separating the two halves! Too bad because I believe if I can a cleaning will restore things to new.
Note the EH-55 remote is very similar to remotes from '06 and on, '05 and prior had a different look and may separate easier.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 02:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff View Post

Yeah, I hear ya' on that.

It's always the "Play" buttons that turn to mush on my Panny remotes. Not just because I press them to "play" a lot - as someone who basically uses these things chiefly as DVR's, I also press down on them hard and often when I use the "3x Play" feature tons (wish all DVR's had that feature - especially my TiVo).
post #5 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

... I also press down on them hard and often when I use the "3x Play" feature tons (wish all DVR's had that feature - especially my TiVo).

I think you mean 1.3x with sound, which I agree is a very handy feature. For playing DVDs I always use my Sony players which gives me .6-1.4X(and any .X in between) play with sound although 1.3X is probably the best speed for actually understanding things. 1.2X is a bit too slow while 1.4X is a bit fast.
I also agree speed play would be very handy with Tivo but for whatever reason it has never been a option, at least AFAIK.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think you mean 1.3x with sound...

Yeah, I knew it was something like that. I never look at it - I just press it.
post #7 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I think you mean 1.3x with sound, which I agree is a very handy feature. For playing DVDs I always use my Sony players which gives me .6-1.4X(and any .X in between) play with sound although 1.3X is probably the best speed for actually understanding things. 1.2X is a bit too slow while 1.4X is a bit fast.
I also agree speed play would be very handy with Tivo but for whatever reason it has never been a option, at least AFAIK.

Hmm jjeff, those are odd speeds.

I have 1.5X fast playback with sound on both my JVC XV-N44SL DVD player and my Sony RDR-HX780 HDD/DVD recorder. Although I don't use the feature for DVD playback I do use it off the HDD for time-shifting if the Instant Advance/Replay doesn't get me all the way past the commercial break. I find the sound acceptable with 1.5X fast speed play but like I said I only use it for cueing purposes, I don't actually watch programs in 1.5X speed. But I just checked both manuals and indeed both my decks are 1.5X fast play with sound.
post #8 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

To me 1.5X would be way too fast, I had/have an old JVC VCR (HR6700 '81 vintage I believe) that has a feature that plays the tape at 1.5X with pitch corrected audio. While it did indeed correct the pitch I found it too fast for anything other than something where the people talked slow to begin with.
I think the Magnavox DVDRs also have 1.3X with sound so along with Panasonic they must have deemed that speed to be the best of both worlds. While my Sony player also can do 1.3X unfortunately the odd speeds seem to show a bit of jerkiness so I usually use 1.4X which is a tad fast for my tastes.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-13-2011, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Hmm.
I was just looking at the Toshiba HDD/DVDr model RD-XS34 that I just posted in the buy and sell thread. It seems like the Toshiba has the same 1.5x fast playback with sound just like my JVC and my Sony.

http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.gr...4550&category=

Look under playback and look for "Fast Forward with Audio x1.5" so I guess the 1.5x with sound speed is popular as well.

Oh and Luke, I know we always do this hi-jack thing to most of your threads and I once again have to say sorry for that.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski View Post

Yeah, I hear ya' on that.

It's always the "Play" buttons that turn to mush on my Panny remotes. Not just because I press them to "play" a lot - as someone who basically uses these things chiefly as DVR's, I also press down on them hard and often when I use the "3x Play" feature tons (wish all DVR's had that feature - especially my TiVo).

In my case it's the RETURN button, which is necessary for a darn lot of stuff on these machines.

I too use the 1.3x speed playback. Occasionally my wife walks in and asks, "Why are they talking so fast?" I just have to laugh. You'd think that by now she would realize what I am doing, but every time I explain it to her, it's like the explanation is deleted from her mind.

Funny, I just got an e-mail from a friend asking me about malfunctioning remotes. I can't figure out why two separate remote questions hit me on the same day. Weird.

Super Eye, I hijack other threads myself now and then, so no worries. I was merely posting for others who might not know that these things DO get dirty, and that they ARE user fixable. The ones I cleaned are working as good as new.

jjeff, sorry about your EH55 remote. Maybe I'll take a look at mine and see what it looks like inside.

I couldn't believe how absurdly simple the E80 remote was on the inside. Membrain and circuit board. The board has one IC, the battery terminals, one fairly large (for a battery operated device) capacitor, and the LED. That's it, except for the swirl etch pads on the opposite side.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #11 of 13 Old 12-14-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post

I too use the 1.3x speed playback. Occasionally my wife walks in and asks, "Why are they talking so fast?" I just have to laugh. You'd think that by now she would realize what I am doing, but every time I explain it to her, it's like the explanation is deleted from her mind.

It is neat, though, how the speed of the voices is like Alvin and the Chipmunks, but the pitch isn't.

(I don't suppose she would've even noticed something like that, though, from what you're saying. )
post #12 of 13 Old 12-15-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've taken many remotes apart over the years and always had success. Like Luke I generally find the circuit board all grimy and in serious need of a cleaning. I also use contact cleaner on the board and soap and water on the rubber membrane. The problem with my EH-55 is I can't get the stinking remote to separate. I've removed all screws I can see(two under the battery cover) but I just can't get it to separate... I don't think anything is glued but for the life of me I can't figure the trick in separating the two halves! Too bad because I believe if I can a cleaning will restore things to new.
Note the EH-55 remote is very similar to remotes from '06 and on, '05 and prior had a different look and may separate easier.

Well, I had a close look at my EH55 remote yesterday. You are correct. That thing is REALLY well sealed. The two screws under the battery cover don't seem to do much of anything. I couldn't even pry up a single edge or corner! If you can manage to get a even small length or corner to separate, you could pry the whole thing apart, but it seems to be very carefully (and thoroughly) glued together. I thought it might just be using plastic clips, but this seems too firmly attached for that. It really wasn't necessary to put it together that firmly, but glue is a lot cheaper than screws I guess.

Video Direct has the replacement remote for $32, which is the cheapest I found (a VERY quick search), Web page here. Other remotes that will work with the EH55 can be had for as little as $18.

Luke

post #13 of 13 Old 01-12-2012, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If the carbon on the silicone pad goes bad....this kit can repair bad contacts.
I've used a similar kit with very good results..

http://www.chemtronics.com/products/...?r=1&m=2&id=32
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page