Recording pc to dvr MDR515H/F7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-05-2012, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can this dvr record movies I play on my pc on the television? I hook up my pc to the tv using s-video so is there a way to have the dvr to record that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-05-2012, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Yes, just connect the S-Video and L/R audio cables to the Mag recorder first, then connect one of the Mag's output cable types (HDMI, Component RGB+L/R audio, S-Video+L/R audio, Composite YWR RCA) to the TV and watch/record at the same time.

A help file on recording to the Mag's HDD is here. Click on the subject titled "Manually Recording a TV Channel" there, which is virtually same as recording from your PC. You could also record directly to a DVD if desired. However, if your end goal is a DVD, it's better going to HDD first and high-speed dubbing to DVD to avoid any possible glitches in the DVD media (esp. if using poor-quality discs).

Info also on that page on copy-protection filters if you run into any of that from your PC.

Lots of other info/help in the indexed list of help files... click #1 in my sig. or one of the buttons at top or bottom of the linked page.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-05-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Wajo,

I have another question. I just got my product today and I cannot view it on the tv. It is connected to the dvr with the coax and the red, white, and yellow cable. I selected the s-video input on the tv but I still do not see anything.
post #4 of 14 Old 01-05-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbullsfan View Post

Thanks Wajo,

I have another question. I just got my product today and I cannot view it on the tv. It is connected to the dvr with the coax and the red, white, and yellow cable. I selected the s-video input on the tv but I still do not see anything.

The Mag has a Video > Video Input menu that's defaulted to "Video In" (composite yellow). If you're using S-Video from the PC, change that to "S-Video In."
post #5 of 14 Old 01-05-2012, 05:00 PM - Thread Starter

I made a mistake. I am using just the red, white, and yellow cords. I am confused. I looked at the diagram over and over but it still will not show up on the tv.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-05-2012, 05:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbullsfan View Post

I made a mistake. I am using just the red, white, and yellow cords. I am confused. I looked at the diagram over and over but it still will not show up on the tv.

Are the YWR cords coming from the PC TO THE MAG or are those the ones you said above were going to the TV (at first it was S-Video to the TV).

In any case, IF you've got YWR cords coming from the PC TO THE MAG, set Video > Video Input menu to "Video In."

IF you've got S-Video cord coming from the PC TO THE MAG, set Video > Video Input menu to "S-Video In."

Make sure the Mag Video Input you set is the one you connected the cords to... L1 is the back connectors, and L2 is the front connectors.

It doesn't matter what type of cords go from the Mag TO THE TV, just make sure you select the correct input on the TV... the one your cords from the Mag are connected to on the TV.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-05-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

I do not have the pc connected, it is just the tv, cable box, and dvr. I connected the cable to the dvr, the coax to the cable box, and then the coax to the tv. I connected the av cord from the dvr to the cable box, and the av cord plus audio to the tv. I still see no picture.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-05-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What happened to the PC, which I thought was what we were always talking about?

Oh, well. Since the diagram didn't help you, here's the written text under the diagram for a cable box user. I think this is best for you right now so you can take it one step at a time (edited here for brevity, your "DVR" = DVDR here):

BASIC CONNECTIONS:
  1. Incoming COAX to DVDR's ANTENNA IN (top RF connector).

2. COAX from DVDR ANTENNA OUT to cable box Antenna In.

3. Cable box connection(s) to TV: COAX if available + any other line connection, depending on availability and personal prefs. SELECT THIS INPUT ON TV TO SEE STUFF FROM THE CABLE BOX.

4. Video line connection from DVDR to TV Input (one or all): AV OUT (Yellow RCA), S-VIDEO OUT, COMPONENT OUT (RGB), or HDMI OUT. HDMI must be "activated" for 1st use by pressing the HDMI button on the remote, then you can select any of the HDMI formats your HDTV is capable of. SELECT THIS INPUT ON TV TO SEE STUFF FROM THE DVDR.

5. Audio line connection from DVDR to TV Input: WR (L/R) RCA Audio cables from AV OUT.

6. Line Connection from cable box to this DVDR: Yellow RCA to AV IN or S-Video to S-VIDEO IN plus RW (L/R) Audio to AV IN.

7. Set Video > Video Input for L1 (back) or L2 (front), whichever you connected to, to match the type of Line Connection made in the step above: "Video In" if Yellow RCA or "S-Video In" if S-Video. This line connection is what you select with Source button on Mag remote for a manual recording, or enter in timer rec "CH" box for a timer rec, when wanting to record or copy from the cable box

8. Do an Auto Channel Preset > Cable (Analog/Digital), even if you don't subscribe to a digital pkg, to scan for channels the Mag can tune by itself. You must have the incoming coax directly connected to the ANT IN on back of the DVDR.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-05-2012, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

I got it working. I had the wrong yellow cord plugged in. I have other wires connected lol. Thanks Wajo.
post #10 of 14 Old 01-06-2012, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

I have a few more questions please. I would like to know how do I turn to my digital channels that are in the triple digits? Also, is there a way to set the display to go off the screen after a few seconds? And in the display, I cannot access any of the icons in it. That is all I have at the moment. Thanks
post #11 of 14 Old 01-06-2012, 03:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Mag remaps digital channels to its own XXX. XX system, with only two subchannel digits, as described here. You have to manually switch between analog and digital tuners with the TV/DTV button on the remote.

Here's some info on using the INFO/DISPLAY menu. You can only make the Display go away by pressing the DISPLAY button on the remote... it goes thru several formats depending on tuner used, just keep pressing until it goes away.
post #12 of 14 Old 01-07-2012, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Ok when I tried connecting the computer to the dvr, the picture did not show up. I put in the s-video into the dvr first and then the video cord into the tv.
post #13 of 14 Old 01-07-2012, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Did you switch Video > Video Input to "S-Video In"?

Also, make sure Progressive Scan is NOT on.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-08-2012, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

Tags
Magnavox Mdr515h 500gb Hdd And Dvd R With Digital Tuner
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version