Any High Def recorders, doesn't need to record to DVD/BR - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-10-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've been looking for a standalone High Def recorder that could record to a portable Hard Drive as BluRay Discs are just way to expensive to be useful.

I've seen one for recording video games through a component input but not sure on it's quality. This one from Avermedia.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 273
You can add an external eSATA drive to a Moxi. I can't think of anything else that fits your requirements.

You might get more replies if you ask in the HDTV Recorders forum.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Depends on what you are recording? Cable? OTA? Sat?
Old 01-11-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMETAL View Post

I've been looking for a standalone High Def recorder that could record to a portable Hard Drive as BluRay Discs are just way to expensive to be useful.

Buy a TiVo. Hook it up to your network. Record. Transfer recordings to a PC. Strip off the TiVo wrapper for an ordinary MPEG. Put on portable hard drive. Profit.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
Old 01-14-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Thanks everyone. I did find out through reviews that the Avermedia Game recorder lockups or freezes during recordings so it's pretty useless. It would had been the perfect recorder though, if it had worked. With blank recordable Bluray discs at $25/each, it's cheaper to put recordings on a hard drive in a format that can be used by any media player.

Thanks, I'll check the HD Recording section.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

With blank recordable Bluray discs at $25/each...

$1 each or less: Optical Quantum OQVBDR04WIP-H-10 Blu-Ray White Inkjet Hub Printable 4X 25GB BD-R Media.
10 Pack in Cake Box for $9.99 / 20 Pack in Cake Box for $18.98 / 200 Pack in Cake Box for $179.80.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The hauppauge hddvr 1212 works well, as an external recorder using a computer. They also have a card if you want to go internal.

For OTA there are a few options to record HD.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacofortacos View Post

The hauppauge hddvr 1212 works well, as an external recorder using a computer. They also have a card if you want to go internal.

For OTA there are a few options to record HD.

I've seen lots of posts by gamers raving about the Hauppauge 1212 and the quality of the recordings.
Old 01-18-2012, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Also, you could try the MTV-7000D.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Occasionally, I check European AV threads and browse the region-specific Amazon sites dedicated to UK, Germany, etc. to get an idea of recorder trends outside North America. The last few months I've noticed a steady drop in availability of PAL-format DVD/HDD recorders to the point where almost none are promoted anymore (while last year Panasonic alone fielded a half-dozen models). It appears the extended honeymoon of non-USA DVD/HDD recorders is over: global consumer indifference has caught up to North American malaise.

At the moment, the most commonly available PAL recorders are the pricey Panasonic BluRay/HDD machines (in several variants of tuner qty, satellite compatibility, HDD size, etc). But these already seem to be on the verge of decline after just a couple years on the market. The hot new recorder product springing up from several brands is a more affordable configuration that none of us anticipated: BluRay players with built-in hi-def HDD tuner/recorders (no disc burning feature). Whether these will turn up in North America is anyone's guess: they rely on uniform gov't-sponsored EPG and satellite standards overlapping several European countries (standards conspicuously absent from USA).

Versions made for USA would be no different from a Magnavox 515, aside from the additions of HiDef recording to HDD, and BluRay playback (we'd lose the DVD recording/dubbing option). There would still be the same issues that plague all non-subscription recorders in US/Canada: lack of convenient EPG, and no cable/satellite integration whatsoever. By the time such BD Player/HDD recorder models turn up at Best Buy, the price point might be around $299 (they currently run the equivalent of $399 in Europe). Pitched as an upgraded BluRay player with hi-def time-shifting capability, these might just succeed where the standard-def DVD/HDD recorder failed. No joy for those of us who need disc burning, unfortunately.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

The hot new recorder product springing up from several brands is a more affordable configuration that none of us anticipated: BluRay players with built-in hi-def HDD tuner/recorders (no disc burning feature). Whether these will turn up in North America is anyone's guess . . . Versions made for USA would be no different from a Magnavox 515, aside from the additions of HiDef recording to HDD, and BluRay playback (we'd lose the DVD recording/dubbing option).

Interesting concept. Not one I would have thought to be popular; I don't find it particularly compelling. But who can tell what will tickle the fancy of the mass market. If it's cheap, they will buy it -- at least initially.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 01-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Well....think of the substantial run that combo DVD PLAYER/VCR units had. Now, true, most buyers were probably using the VCR side just for playback, but.....my brother's been using these for several years to do VHS tape time-shifting.

(He's finally coming over to the DVDR side.)
Old 01-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

The hot new recorder product springing up from several brands is a more affordable configuration that none of us anticipated: BluRay players with built-in hi-def HDD tuner/recorders (no disc burning feature).

That's horrible. I like to save copies of the records. Why do I buy a machine that don't let me to extract the videos?
Old 11-15-2012, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
$4000 Australian dollars, how much is that in U.S. dollars, and is it sold in the U.S.?
Old 11-30-2012, 05:21 AM

Liked: 14
$4000 Australian dollars is approx equal to $4170 US dollars as of today. it will vary with exhange rate. At the moment its great for me to buy things from USA smile.gif
Old 11-30-2012, 06:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitiBear View Post

Occasionally, I check European AV threads and browse the region-specific Amazon sites dedicated to UK, Germany, etc. to get an idea of recorder trends outside North America. The last few months I've noticed a steady drop in availability of PAL-format DVD/HDD recorders to the point where almost none are promoted anymore (while last year Panasonic alone fielded a half-dozen models). It appears the extended honeymoon of non-USA DVD/HDD recorders is over: global consumer indifference has caught up to North American malaise.

At the moment, the most commonly available PAL recorders are the pricey Panasonic BluRay/HDD machines (in several variants of tuner qty, satellite compatibility, HDD size, etc). But these already seem to be on the verge of decline after just a couple years on the market. The hot new recorder product springing up from several brands is a more affordable configuration that none of us anticipated: BluRay players with built-in hi-def HDD tuner/recorders (no disc burning feature). Whether these will turn up in North America is anyone's guess: they rely on uniform gov't-sponsored EPG and satellite standards overlapping several European countries (standards conspicuously absent from USA).

Versions made for USA would be no different from a Magnavox 515, aside from the additions of HiDef recording to HDD, and BluRay playback (we'd lose the DVD recording/dubbing option). There would still be the same issues that plague all non-subscription recorders in US/Canada: lack of convenient EPG, and no cable/satellite integration whatsoever. By the time such BD Player/HDD recorder models turn up at Best Buy, the price point might be around $299 (they currently run the equivalent of $399 in Europe). Pitched as an upgraded BluRay player with hi-def time-shifting capability, these might just succeed where the standard-def DVD/HDD recorder failed. No joy for those of us who need disc burning, unfortunately.

If it had a cable card feature, then yes, this would be a nice machine that could replace a cable box and bd player all in one. It would also be nice if you had the cable box feature of 'copy to vcr' which allows dumping to a dvd recorder.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't foresee there will ever be a stand-alone box sold in the US market that incorporates HiDef recording and a burner for optical media -- especially if you want it to have a cable-card slot. People that really, really, really want to record and archive in HiDef, in the simplest manner, have to just get over their aversion to a TiVo/PC combination. If you are determined to pinch pennies to the extreme and run with the walmart crowd then you are destined to stay in SD-land.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 11-30-2012, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

People that really, really, really want to record and archive in HiDef, in the simplest manner, have to just get over their aversion to a TiVo/PC combination. If you are determined to pinch pennies to the extreme and run with the walmart crowd then you are destined to stay in SD-land.

Just don't forget the satellite users. For us, cable cards are just useless, as the SatCo's PVRs/DVRs.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:00 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by profhat View Post

Just don't forget the satellite users. For us, cable cards are just useless, as the SatCo's PVRs/DVRs.
As far as HD recording and archiving goes -- if they ever disable HD output on the component-out connections from the satellite STB/DVR, you guys are cooked.

- kelson h

Old 11-30-2012, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If they disable sat and cable HD component outputs in Canada then most Canadian HD archivers will be in big trouble. Cable subs have no clear QAM and no cable card support here. Only about 9 percent of Canadians are strictly OTA.

So If the HD outputs will become disabled I can predict many gray market products making a big appearance over here. No doubt those same gray market products would make it south over the border to American satellite subscribers.