DVD+RW record w/ 1 recorder reformat w/ another recorder? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-12-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 25
can a DVD+RW that was recorded w/ one recorder be reformated w/ another recorder (differnt name brand recorder)?

then use this DVD+RW again to record w/ the reformated recorder?

Thanks STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

can a DVD+RW that was recorded w/ one recorder be reformated w/ another recorder (differnt name brand recorder)?

then use this DVD+RW again to record w/ the reformated recorder?

Thanks STB

Some will, some won't. My Pioneer recorder won't format any discs that were used in my Panasonic or Magnavox recorders. The Magnavox and Panasonic recorders can re-use discs that were previously used in any of my recorders.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken.F View Post

Some will, some won't. My Pioneer recorder won't format any discs that were used in my Panasonic or Magnavox recorders. The Magnavox and Panasonic recorders can re-use discs that were previously used in any of my recorders.

first recorder was panasonic second is Magnavox I believe I attemped this once before can't remember the outcome believe it was unsucsesfull and I just trashed the DVD.

if the reformat w/ 2nd recorder fails is deleteing recordings a option so I can continue to reuse my DVD+RWs ? or will I be forced to use the 1st Panasonic recorder to continue to reuse these DVD+RWs?

Thanks STB

Samsung PN58C500/Amp: Yamaha RX-V465/Polk DSW1KProSub/DefTECH SM450/C1CC/Pro80/Sony BPX37 BD/Magnavox515HTPC-CPU: I3 550, 3.2 GHz/Mobo: Intel H57/RAM: 6GB DDR3 1333/HDD: 1TB/2TB Internal, 1TB external/Tuner: 1600-950 Haupague/W7 64 OS Remote: Harmony 700
Old 01-12-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

If you used the disc in the Panasonic, the Magnavox should be able to format it. Try using "Erase Disc" from the Magnavox recorder's Disc Edit menu.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OK I'll attemp the erase function of the Magnavox however won't the erase function still leave data on the disc compared to a reformate?

I would prefer to not use the Panasonic to reuse these disc.s (even though it's a better PQ recorder) however I'm thinking I maybe forced to use Panasonic to rerecord on these disc's.

Should I attempt a Magnavox reformate first before I attempt a Magnavox erase?

Thanks Ken.F from STB

Old 01-12-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevethebrain View Post

OK I'll attemp the erase function of the Magnavox however won't the erase function still leave data on the disc compared to a reformate?

"Erase Disc" will format it.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'll defer to Kelson (DVDR / PC Wizard) for the final opinion, but if I were having problems with different DVDRs accepting Erased / Re-Formatted DVD±RWs, I would try re-formatting them on a PC.

Low Post Count <> Low Knowledge ergo High Post Count <> High Knowledge

ClearToLand's Picks For Best Answers to Common ReplayTV Questions

Remember, it's only TV...
Old 01-13-2012, 08:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand View Post

I'll defer to Kelson (DVDR / PC Wizard) for the final opinion, but if I were having problems with different DVDRs accepting Erased / Re-Formatted DVD±RWs, I would try re-formatting them on a PC.

This has come up before with RW disks not being able to be reused in different machines. I remember that I recommended to someone in one of these threads to do a full PC erase of the +RW disk with ImgBurn. They reported that they did and it was still unsuccessful getting the other DVD recorder to use it.

- kelson h

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the sweetness of the low price is forgotten . . . life is too short to drink bad wine

Old 01-13-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

I remember that I recommended to someone in one of these threads to do a full PC erase of the +RW disk with ImgBurn. They reported that they did and it was still unsuccessful getting the other DVD recorder to use it.

That was me with my Pioneer DVR-RT500 (A.K.A. Sansui VRDVD-4005). It won't format or write to -RW discs that were previously used in my Panasonic or Magnavox recorders, or formatted by Windows 7 or ImgBurn. I have to keep a set of -RW discs separate for use only in that recorder.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"Erase Disc" will format it.

it worked on the Memerorex disc, I just successfully edited then erased w/ Magnavox then tested w/ a 1 minute record w/ the magnavox.
thanks Ken
STB

Quote:

If you used the disc in the Panasonic, the Magnavox should be able to format it. Try using "Erase Disc" from the Magnavox recorder's Disc Edit menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson View Post

This has come up before with RW disks not being able to be reused in different machines. I remember that I recommended to someone in one of these threads to do a full PC erase of the +RW disk with ImgBurn. They reported that they did and it was still unsuccessful getting the other DVD recorder to use it.

yes I to attemped image burn on my PC and was unable to use that disc. on my PC.
STB

Quote:

That was me with my Pioneer DVR-RT500 (A.K.A. Sansui VRDVD-4005). It won't format or write to -RW discs that were previously used in my Panasonic or Magnavox recorders, or formatted by Windows 7 or ImgBurn. I have to keep a set of -RW discs separate for use only in that recorder.

the recordings I created w/ the Panasonic where in extended plat (low PQ) got away w/ low PQ w/ my old CRT TV not so good w/ new Hi def.tv so I'll record excellent stuff in SP mode w/ the Magnavox.

Now I'm curious if I can reuse this same erased disc. in my PC. will post up the results.
Thanks Guys STB

Old 01-13-2012, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Perhaps only tangentially related, but maybe sometimes seemingly unrelated activity could shed insight on a problem. We are using a Leightronix Controller to control several different devices at programmed times. It signals a couple of Panasonic S29 players to PLAY at their programmed times, and a selected one of six titles on a Pioneer V7400. When the Pioneer was not able to read a -RW (used many times before) created on a Panasonic EH55, I decided to try a +RW, thinking that the +RW might be closer to the Pioneer's preferred format.

When the time came to play title #2 or title #5, which for years have played properly from the -RW, the Pioneer played title #1 from the +RW. These titles are the 90-second "Top of the Hour" station identification and announcements. Must be something different in the way the +RW is built.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one factor could be mode. Pannys (and some others) use Video mode and many others use VR mode. I've found the best way is quoted above: keep separate sets of RWs for each recorder. They can found (I use Sony) cheaply enough.

In space, no one can eat ice cream - Killer Klowns From Outer Space
Old 01-16-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabboy View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one factor could be mode. Pannys (and some others) use Video mode and many others use VR mode.

That model Pioneer uses both VR and Video mode.