Perhaps interesting EH55 event - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-13-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've just read the postings to "Thanks to whoever made the suggestion!" and I'm reminded of a somehwat peculiar (to me) event. I have, quite by accident (because each device met the quality and budget contraints on me at the time), acquired a Panny plasma display, a BD30 BluRay player and of course my EH55. I purchased these all at different times (I live in the US, but, in fact, I purchased the EH55 in Canada as an "open box" item at London Drugs). All these devices are or can be controlled by the various Panny remotes. I've never consolidated them into one and having three the functions of which are not always clear drives my wife a little bit crazy from time to time.

Of course I've entered the "set" coding for each of the devices as separate set numbers. i.e., "Set 1", "Set 2" and "Set 3" to avoid the random opening of disc trays and turning on and off of devices not intended.

I inadvertently assigned the same set number to my EH55 and to my BD30 player and it seems that the EH55's tray, which is supposed to be manually opening only (no open/close button on the EH55 remote) can be opened if the set code for the BD30 and EH55 is identical. This is somewhat disconcerting and surprising because the EH55 supposedly has not the capability of remote tray opening.

In any event, I do code the three devices separately because my principal use of the EH55 tray is for dubbing from HD to DVD-R and I certainly don't mind walking across the room to work this occasional task.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-13-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Yes, if you have a old Panasonic DVD/DVDR remote that has buttons the new units don't, more than likely that button will work on your newer Panasonic.
Luke specifically likes the EJECT on remote so he purchases remotes from older Pannys that has such functions(I would also really like EJECT on remote but not enough to put up with the feel of the older remote buttons). I'm mostly fond of the F REC button(one button push brings up the Flexible Record function). The EH-55 has no such button but if you use a older remote with such a button it will bring up the F REC function on the EH-55.
If you have a older remote that has dedicated buttons for HDD, DVD and SD they also bring up such functions on the newer DVDRs so you don't have to cycle through all the options.
I haven't found the perfect remote yet, one that has good feel(to me), F REC button, Eject on remote, etc. although the ES-25 remote is as close as I've found. The ES-25 has no TVGOS button but for me thats a moot point now days.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-13-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mohundro View Post

I've just read the postings to "Thanks to whoever made the suggestion!" and I'm reminded of a somehwat peculiar (to me) event. I have, quite by accident (because each device met the quality and budget contraints on me at the time), acquired a Panny plasma display, a BD30 BluRay player and of course my EH55. I purchased these all at different times (I live in the US, but, in fact, I purchased the EH55 in Canada as an "open box" item at London Drugs). All these devices are or can be controlled by the various Panny remotes. I've never consolidated them into one and having three the functions of which are not always clear drives my wife a little bit crazy from time to time.

Of course I've entered the "set" coding for each of the devices as separate set numbers. i.e., "Set 1", "Set 2" and "Set 3" to avoid the random opening of disc trays and turning on and off of devices not intended.

I inadvertently assigned the same set number to my EH55 and to my BD30 player and it seems that the EH55's tray, which is supposed to be manually opening only (no open/close button on the EH55 remote) can be opened if the set code for the BD30 and EH55 is identical. This is somewhat disconcerting and surprising because the EH55 supposedly has not the capability of remote tray opening.

In any event, I do code the three devices separately because my principal use of the EH55 tray is for dubbing from HD to DVD-R and I certainly don't mind walking across the room to work this occasional task.

Yes, as jjeff has said, I use the remote open/close button (found on older remotes) for all of my Panasonic HDD DVD recorders. That remote command works on the E85, EH50, EH55, EH75, EH59 and EH69 machines. Just because the button is not on the remote, is not a staement that it won't work, or that it's not supported, merely that it's not included. All of the machines clearly have the "capacity" for remote open/close. It's just for some reason, Panasonic chose to not include a button that performs that function on the included remote. I have a friend that "disects chips" as part of his job, and he thinks that the functionality is still included in the innerds of the more recent remotes, but due to the way they are physically wired, there is no way to access those functions. Wouldn't it be great if we could trace out the proper leads and make additional buttons on the side or something to do the extra stuff that we want?

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
post #4 of 5 Old 01-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Speaking of remotes and unknown supported functions:

One day after the New Year my cable co offered me a brand new duel tuner DCX3400 Motorola HD cable box with MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 tuning and a 500GB HDD for $97 and I can keep the cable box for ever or I'm free to sell my box to other subscribers if I want. (no more time shifting on my precious RDR-HX780 )

Anyway I programmed the Motto remote to function with my Toshiba 4:3 CRT and to my surprise the aspect ratio button works and will squeeze the picture with non-WS flagged home DVD discs to letterbox the picture instead of showing tall and skinny people. I never new this function existed with my TV as it's not mentioned in the manual nor is there an aspect ratio button on the original remote.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-17-2012, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Eye View Post

Speaking of remotes and unknown supported functions:

For me, the funniest of these stories happened a few years ago. I was listening to a CD while I was editing commercials out of some recordings on my trusty EH75. Occasionally, the CD player would lose all control and start skipping tracks, and in general behave like it was losing it's mind. Well, to make a long story short, it was a case of my old (circa 1988) CD player responding to my DVD recorder remote codes. Of course I had to have it aimed "just right" for the CD to get the IR signals, but it was definitely me! I was really surprised that the old CD player would respond to a DVD remote that was 20 years newer. I guess old remote codes never go out of style.

Luke

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.-JOA
Reply DVD Recorders (Standard Def)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page